PDA

View Full Version : Wrist tendonitis

Jason Lopez-Ota
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I have wrist tendonitis from boxing, thai boxing, etc. Too much too fast, not enough rest.

Does anyone know anything I can do to speed up the healing? I can do pushups without much difficulty, kipping pullups are out of the question right now.

Help please, I want to do a physical job, train in mma, and even make typing for college not something I have to worry about.

Garrett Smith
09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Nothing that hurts, that should be obvious.

Contrast hydrotherapy.

You might actually have to take some time off from most of your training.

Steven Low
09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I wrote this article on tendonitis that may help:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Is it on the lateral side (thumb) or medial side (pinky)? Tendonitis to the lateral side usually takes a bit longer to heal b/c of not a lot of blood flow over there unfortunately

Garrett Smith
09-20-2009, 05:49 AM
Also, search this board. Tons has been posted on this topic already.

Alex Bond
09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Think of it as an opportunity to work on your back squat for a few weeks.

Gavin Harrison
09-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I have wrist tendonitis from boxing, thai boxing, etc. Too much too fast, not enough rest.

Does anyone know anything I can do to speed up the healing? I can do pushups without much difficulty, kipping pullups are out of the question right now.

Help please, I want to do a physical job, train in mma, and even make typing for college not something I have to worry about.

Are you sure it's tendonitis, or does your wrist just hurt? I went to my doc when my wrist hurt a lot (limited ROM, etc, etc), he gave me a stronger version of aleve to tame some bad inflammation that was going on in my wrist. Problem solved.

Darryl Shaw
09-21-2009, 06:07 AM
I wrote this article on tendonitis that may help:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Is it on the lateral side (thumb) or medial side (pinky)? Tendonitis to the lateral side usually takes a bit longer to heal b/c of not a lot of blood flow over there unfortunately

Good article Steven. I just wish someone had explained all that to me thirty years ago particularly this bit.....

Often if you have sore joints or tendons are starting to become sore, this is when you should know that you should back off from exercise. This is often a sign of excessive volume. Continuing to train through this may often lead to more detrimental overuse, and if continued beyond that chronic overuse which is very difficult to get rid of. This will also hinder your training significantly, so it is not advisable ever to push through any type of pain.

Jason Lopez-Ota
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Are you sure it's tendonitis, or does your wrist just hurt? I went to my doc when my wrist hurt a lot (limited ROM, etc, etc), he gave me a stronger version of aleve to tame some bad inflammation that was going on in my wrist. Problem solved.

My wrists have been injured for over a year since I had to train for the CPAT and swim test instead of resting them.

Jason Lopez-Ota
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Alright so ice, take anti-inflammatories, light exercises, and stretches.

Contrast baths and I've heard applying heat is good also.

Anything I missed?

Steven Low
09-26-2009, 01:35 PM
If you were going to do anything I would suggest the:

Rest, ice, fish oil (don't really like anti-inflams), stretching and light eccentrics.

Biggest thing is to normalize through rest and ice, then begin rehabbing.

Jason Lopez-Ota
09-27-2009, 11:20 AM
If you were going to do anything I would suggest the:

Rest, ice, fish oil (don't really like anti-inflams), stretching and light eccentrics.

Biggest thing is to normalize through rest and ice, then begin rehabbing.

Thanks Steven, 2 questions:

What do I do for rehabbing?

What do you mean by eccentrics?

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Someone out there must be able to give me an answer.

My dream job happens to be a physical one so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Garrett Smith
10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Low Intensity/Level Laser Therapy works great on tendonitis-type issues:
Low Level Laser Treatment of Tendinopathy: A Systematic Review with Meta-analysis. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19708800)

Eccentric exercise accumulated review (you might want to find/buy the whole paper or the studies used in it):
Chronic tendinopathy: effectiveness of eccentric exercise. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17062655)

You might find it less expensive to invest in your own laser. This one (http://vetrolaser.com/) is not intended for human use, but it works exactly the same, much like veterinary pharmaceuticals... ;)

Steven Low
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
For rehabbing... I'd go with

1. rice bucket and the
2. eccentrics are usually light curls (help concentric with the other hand) and
3. wrist pushups

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys, I don't know about horse-lasers though :D

Garrett Smith
10-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't use horse lasers...
www.lasertherapeutics.com

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't use horse lasers...
www.lasertherapeutics.com

I know, but I dont know about buying one and using it on myself. I dont think Im qualified. :)

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
My wrists feel a lot better. I think a couple more weeks and they might be normal again! I cant wait until I can be a normal person again.

Ive been resting them, I even stopped doing pushups. Ive been doing light wrist curls, moving up in weight and reps. I started with one pound dumbells. That used to make my wrists hurt. When I was at Target I did some wrist curls with their colored dumbells up to 12 pounds. It didnt hurt.

Ive used:
Heat pads
Ice pads
Wrist stretches
Taking prescribed anti-inflammatories
Wearing wrist braces when I go to sleep and for some activities

When I stopped training before the injury I was shoulder pressing 120 for 3 sets of 5 reps.

They dont hurt when I drive, type, carry groceries, wash dishes, etc anymore.

*That is the last time I train like an idiot :D I learned my lesson. When something hurts, rest.

*Unless it is for the fire department or something.

Steven Low
10-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Keep going slow and steady there. Biggest mistake people make is going back too fast of course.

Sounds good though glad you're working it out.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Keep going slow and steady there. Biggest mistake people make is going back too fast of course.

Sounds good though glad you're working it out.

Thanks Steven. I passed the CPAT and swim test also. :)

Jason Lopez-Ota
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
My forarms are getting sore from using a 4 pound weight. This is pretty unreal.

Jason Lopez-Ota
01-27-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm up to curling a 45lb olympic bar now for a couple sets of 10 reps. Stephen's advice has helped a lot.

Steven Low
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Yep...

Most people have hard times following it though from what I've seen...

Jason Lopez-Ota
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Yep...

Most people have hard times following it though from what I've seen...

What I did:

What helped me the most from your advice was using curls to strengthen my wrists.

Took anti-inflammatories

Used heat. And sometimes used ice. After I would use heat for a few days in a row I would feel a noticeable difference in the way my wrists felt. They would feel much better with less pain.

Looking back I didn't really follow your advice much besides the curls lol. I didn't mean to do that.

Thanks anyways.

Steven Low
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
LOL.

Well, I recommend fish oil but any anti-inflams work. Fish oil is just in general healthier.

I did amend the tendonitis article to say to use heat if ice doesn't help. If heat doesn't help then use nothing. Pretty much at least try both and see which works better. Long term chronic tends to need heat more than ice.

The strengthening is definitely important though.

Jason Lopez-Ota
02-03-2010, 01:38 AM
LOL.

Well, I recommend fish oil but any anti-inflams work. Fish oil is just in general healthier.

I did amend the tendonitis article to say to use heat if ice doesn't help. If heat doesn't help then use nothing. Pretty much at least try both and see which works better. Long term chronic tends to need heat more than ice.

The strengthening is definitely important though.

I started taking fish oil. I ran out of anti-inflammatories.

Garrett Smith
02-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Bromelain or papain would work as anti-inflams too.

Jason Lopez-Ota
02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Bromelain or papain would work as anti-inflams too.

Thanks Garret. I appreciate the advice.

Jason Lopez-Ota
05-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Ive been rolling Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Tapped a blue belt yesterday for the first time. My wrists are doing a lot better.

Garrett Smith
05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Google "Flexbar Tyler Twist". Eccentric training for the forearm muscles and apparently very good for tendonitis. I'm going to order one very soon.

Steven Low
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Google "Flexbar Tyler Twist". Eccentric training for the forearm muscles and apparently very good for tendonitis. I'm going to order one very soon.
Yeah, if there's only one thing you're going to do for (chronic) tendonitis it would be eccentric exercise. I've seen this more and more come true out of any of the other modalities, and the research backs it up.

For a couple weeks or less onset, you can pretty much just rest and it will heal fine.

Jason Lopez-Ota
08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
I bought a medium strength flexbar tyler twist.

What seems to be helping me the most is applying heat. I think rolling jiu jitsu also helped, like when I'm grabbing people's arms and stuff.

Steven Low
08-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Tyler twist work at all?

Jason Lopez-Ota
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Tyler twist work at all?

I don't know yet, I just got it in the mail today.