PDA

View Full Version : How do you drink coffee?

Ralph
10-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I know there's all kinds of coffees (American, Cuban, Latte, Espressos) and I know each has ingredients such as sugar or milk and different concentrations. I see that many people here drink coffee, but I'm wondering how you all take your coffee. I know that all the diets (paleo, zone, IF) do NOT recommend artificial sugars and milk (especially in paleo). But I also know that drinking coffee straight-up without sugar/milk tastes horrible! So how do you drink it?

Greg Everett
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
To quote BA Baracus of the A-Team, "In a cup, fool!"

Seriously - Espresso. The Americano (espresso and hot water, for the non-coffee-drinkers) is the official coffee beverage of the Performance Menu. I imagine it's an acquired taste for some people, but we love it.

If you want to stay at home, you can buy espresso beans or grounds (Cafe la Llave is the official canned espresso of the PM) and brew it like regular coffee, or get jiggy with a stove-top steamer.

Either way you do it, try adding cinammon - it will give it a little more sweet-ish flavor with the added benefit of increased insulin sensitivity.

Mike ODonnell
12-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Greg,

Is there some sort of "health" advantage to having the expresso/americano vs regular coffee? I switched to Americano a while back and seem to perfer the taste now....but am I really getting an advantage for my health switching? Either way...I take it straight up, no cream, no sugar.

Steve Liberati
12-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I attempted to give up adding creamer and splenda/stevia to my morning homemade drip coffee but failed miseralky. Finally decided its my own small treat/reward for staying compliant 95-98% of the time. Funny how...here we are worrying about the health implications of fixing our coffee with sweetner/creamer when the rest of the country start their morning off with a cup of joe, cigarettes, and a tastycake.

Might explain why we're not AVERAGE right? Hehe

Frank Needham
12-02-2006, 08:54 PM
I take whole beans, run them through the grinder on fine, and then use it in a drip coffee maker. Works dandy and makes great coffee. Add a shot of heavy whipping cream and it is heaven in the am. Btw, putting it through on fine makes the bag of coffee last a whole lot longer. I can get a nice strong brew with 3 heaping teaspoons.

Robb Wolf
12-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I've thought about an IV drip...espresso clogs the lines however...perhaps americano...

Steve Shafley
12-03-2006, 01:09 PM
I can't give up lightener either. Usually it's heavy whipping cream, like mentioned above.

On the days I do espresso, I usually make americano out of it, and make a pot of yerba mate to drink along with it. On drip coffee days, I just put ~2 tbs of heavy whipping cream in it, and I make just enough to fill my big mug.

I turned a buddy of mine at the P&B onto yerba mate. He's an artist for DC comics, and likes to work late, and the mate, true to it's reputation, lets him stay alert, yet leaves his hand steady.

I know that Robb mentioned that green teas and yerba mate put him out of sorts, but it's another option for those looking.

Coach Rutherford
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
5:00am- Two Big Mugs of Coffee. My rotation of beans from Peets. Major Dickasons, Espresso Forte and Blend 101. Armstrong has taken the Major Dickasons to the Tour the last three years. Any correlation with performance?

2:00ish or before training- 1 triple Americano.

On the weekends If I'm not under some schedule I've been known to get a little more after the morning dosage.

Ken Urakawa
12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Just a pinch between the cheek and gums...

Allen Yeh
12-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Most days I do without coffee I opt for the green tea option

On days I do take coffee days I have Army drill - I usually take 3 packets of splenda + either 1% or whole milk depending what the place has avail. I've tried without sweeteners and cream and I just can't stomach it without it, call me a wuss but to me it tastes like evil without adding something to it.

Mike ODonnell
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
I like the taste of evil....but back to the question from above, what's the advatage of americano over drip coffee if any?

Eva Claire Synkowski
12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
assuming your americano has ~1-2 shots of espresso, and the rest of the cup is water, the americano has less caffeine than 8 oz of drip coffee.

Coach Rutherford
12-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I like the taste of evil....but back to the question from above, what's the advatage of americano over drip coffee if any?

My sources including Dr. Wolf indicate that espresso is higher in antioxidant punch and as stated lower in caffeine and other less desireable elements.

Frank Needham
12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Most of the attraction of drinking coffee, besides the taste, is that it does have caffeine. Espresso, at least what I've tried, seemed stronger than any coffee I ever drank so I gave that up. Krikey, I'd never go to sleep if I drank that stuff!

Yael Grauer
12-04-2006, 04:29 PM
My all-time favorite is this coffee I've had in Israel called cafe botz, or mud coffee. It is the best. Trailing slightly behind is Turkish coffee. I only use coffee during emergencies though.

Brad Hirakawa
12-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Why must evidence of the forbidden fruit surround my life... why.. why!!!!!!

Drink... quit... drink.. quit.... I quit coffee again, and ohhhh.... how strongly I desire to once again suckle at thy aromatic tit.

Brad

Steve Shafley
12-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Who was it who posted a picture of himself defending his coffee with a rifle on the XF forum? Was it Barry Cooper, maybe? Or was it Brad?

That picture made me laugh for a long time.

I think the rifle had a fixed bayonet too.

RELENTLESS!

Ron Nelson
12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Truthfully, the only drug I've ever enjoyed being addicted to. Not that I've spent a lot of time addicted to drugs, mind you. I did smoke for a few years.

Boy, back then, nothing could beat a smoke and a cup of strong black coffee in the morning. Working at KABC in LA, it was the standard "Breakfast of Champions."

John Vernon
12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
If I go to a coffee shop to get one of these I feel like I am ordering a shot at the bar: (from Wikipedia)

Black Eye: a cup of American coffee with two shots of espresso in it. Also known as a Slingblade, an Autobahn, or a Hammerhead

Usually make them at home. Pretty righteous. No cream, no sugar.

Yael Grauer
12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Who was it who posted a picture of himself defending his coffee with a rifle on the XF forum?

This is my coffee! There are many like it, but this one is mine! My coffee is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless...

Jeremy Jones
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
You people are all sick and have a serious problem.

<tightens belt on arm with his teeth>

Coffee is SOO un-paleo.

Ken Urakawa
12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
You guys remember that caffeinated water that came out a few years ago? Nothing like brewing up a nice stiff pot with that stuff.

Greg Everett
12-05-2006, 04:33 PM
caffeinated water? where the hell was I? i would brush my teeth with that shit...

Frank Needham
12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I know that Robb mentioned that green teas and yerba mate put him out of sorts, but it's another option for those looking.

Ok Steve, no one else is biting and my curiosity's got the better of me. Where is a good place to buy this junk? I've never heard of this stuff so I gotta get a fix fast...

Steve Shafley
12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
www.ma-tea.com

Sells the commercial South American stuff.

Cheap. The American brands you find in the health food stores are easily 4-5X the price, and I've had the Guyana and a few others, and I prefer the imports.

It's an acquired taste, though. My wife calls it "Dirt Tea" and refuses to drink it. I can drink it iced or hot, though in the beginning I needed a bit of lemon to put in it.

From the above website, Union and Canarias are good brands to start out with, and Rosamonte too.

I drank this today instead of coffee.

Steve Shafley
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
And for what it's worth...I've made it via the espresso machine and via drip and I get about the same kinds of concentrations. The drip actually seems more concentrated because I use a lot of the tea, and because the tea leaves are kind of flaky, it filters kind of slow.

Frank Needham
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks Steve....I came across another drink containing yerba, and lots of other things, Rockstar? I'd seen this being sold and never bothered to check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_(drink)
Looks like a lot of strange things in that concoction, fromunda cheese extract? I hope the hell thats not the fromunda cheese that I heard about once upon a time :eek:

Jonathan Reik
12-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Greg, Ken - it still exists!

http://www.waterjoe.com/

Ken Urakawa
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Is it bad that I am the happiest I've been all day, seeing that?

Brad Hirakawa
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
You mean this picture?
WARNING: Gratuitous topless picture below.

Pierre Auge
12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I should SOOOO become the Canadian supplier but that would require income of some kind. Oh well my hopes and dreams crushed again...

The easiest and best means by which to prep coffee:

- Place 1 pound of coffee grounds in a pot of some type
- slowly poor 5 cups of cold water into the pot moving in circular pattern
- ensure all the grounds are wet
- let sit for 12 hours

12 hours later:
- poor concentrate through a filter into another container
- refrigerate concentrate
- mix 1/4 cup concentrate in standard 16 once coffe mug with boiling water or mix to taste
- keeps for a bout 2 weeks

This I tell you makes a very flavourful, aromatic, powerful coffee. It's very low in acid content, high in antioxidents and smooth as a babies bottom.

And you don't need anything but some coffee grinds a couple of pots or containers and a coffee filter! Good stuff!

Brad Hirakawa
12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Come on darn it.... someone else post a picuture of themself defending a pot of coffee with a battle rifle. I can't be the only one who has such an image?

:)

Steve Shafley
12-06-2006, 05:33 AM
I've been meaning to try that for a long time, Pierre.

I can get a pic of myself defending my coffee with a WWI cavalry sabre, but that's about it, Brad.

Ken Urakawa
12-06-2006, 06:04 AM
For a commercial version of Pierre's coffee, you can try www.toddycafe.com/.

Brad Hirakawa
12-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Saber = sweet!!!

Coach Rutherford
12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
You mean this picture?

Blog Worthy!

Mark Madonna
12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I make it the night before. Six tablespoons of starbucks, (I have a friend who gives me a pound a every 2 weeks because they work at starbucks), grind, paper filter, 10 cups of water. Turn on in the morning and fill a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle and take it with me to work, it stays warm for a couple hours and won't spill. I used to drink with cream, but the 1/2 gallon of heavy whipping cream I bought at costco would go bad before I could drink it all.

Ron Nelson
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
You mean this picture?

You are one ripped SOB, Brad.
Of course the bayonet makes you look even more badass. Get back on the C-train, dude.

kevin mckay
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I've thought about an IV drip...espresso clogs the lines however...perhaps americano...

Since you are on the computer so much you should look into coe (Coffee over Ethernet) haha

kevin mckay
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Who was it who posted a picture of himself defending his coffee with a rifle on the XF forum? Was it Barry Cooper, maybe? Or was it Brad?

That picture made me laugh for a long time.

I think the rifle had a fixed bayonet too.

RELENTLESS!

Fixed bayonet? I would guess Barry Cooper.

This is a funny thread.

Jeremy Jones
12-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Caffinated water? You should catch up with the times

How about Caffinated lotion (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5f0b/):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/octane.jpg

Or Caffinated Soap (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/shower-shock.jpg

I don't have any guns with a bayonet, but I might be able to take a picture with my coffee pot and an M249 SAW.

kevin mckay
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Bah humbug, all that new fangled shit I just like to keep it simple, especially during the holidays

http://hurlnecklace.mu.nu/archives/crack-pipe.jpg

Pierre Auge
12-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Steve,
somehow I forgot all about this thread until I started brewing myslf another bucket of coffee.

It's super simple to make it this way and I find I can get really good coffee out of really crappy coffee grinds like maxwell house. I find its also drinkable and I don't waste even a fraction of what I used too...

Ron Nelson
12-20-2006, 02:01 PM
I just used my coffee grinder for the first time in 20 something years of drinking coffee. One question: Why the f&^k did I wait so long?
Difference is night/day.

I also started using heavy whipping cream as a lightener. I likey.

Mike ODonnell
12-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Cariboo Coffee is starting to charge me rent.....

Pierre Auge
12-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Ha!

Ron Nelson
12-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Funny, I just posted to the sorghum beer thread, now I return to the coffee thread.
Just reinforces my idea of the holy trinity of liquid intake: Coffee, beer, milk.

Not necessarily in that order.