PDA

View Full Version : Yael's Log

Pages : 1 [2]

Yael Grauer
05-17-2008, 10:04 AM
5/16
2 hours MMA (1 grappling 1 Muay Thai...working on body locks and defense and punch combos mostly), 2 X 15 45# back squats , 2 X 15 pushups and 45# bent over bb row, 2 X 15 db stepups (20# db's) and 2X8 prone jackknifes. Only a little sore today, which is pretty good. But my standup sucks ass and my conditioning could use some work...

Yael Grauer
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
5/22
one hour of grappling, but mostly we worked on three different takedowns

2 X 15 45# deadlifts
2 X 15 (15# db's) shoulder presses
2 X 15 (15# db's) lunges
2 X 8 sb crunches

everyone was doing yoga so i substituted 2 X 15 db bent-over rows (with 10# db's) for the wide grip lat pulldown so as to avoid making noise

i joined them for a bit of yoga when i was done but got bored so i left

Yael Grauer
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
yesterday: 5 mile hike and about a half hour of grappling drills (we were watching the DVD)

today:
1) 2 X 15 55# squats
2) 2 X 15 pushups and 55# bent-over row
3) 2 X 15 step up (25# db's) and 2 X 8 jackknife

So my diet still sucks; yesterday it was a glass of raw milk and an apple, and then I had a Subway wrap and a few Sun chips and two Larabars, I don't remember if I had dinner or not. Today I went to this work training where I ate donuts and cookies, had two cups of coffee (with sugar and cream and shit), then I had this teacher get-together thing where I ate breaded shrimp and fries and had a margarita, oh and I had some eggs with goat milk yogurt and cottage cheese and peaches and stuff, which was interesting, a little stevia and cinnamon, etc. I'll probably have an apple tonight. Anyway, I'm not really happy with my food selection. But I'm easing into this and next week I'll be doing more grappling and eating better.

Yael Grauer
05-28-2008, 08:44 PM
5/28 about an hour or so of MMA; we worked on hip mobility from guard, on some reversals when you get an overhook from guard, some defensive standup in case of haymakers and sprawl attempts, plus a lot of rolling. I need to work on getting out of bottom when someone's in high mount and I also want to work on being more mobile from top and north/south and moving around a lot and getting a knee on their chest when big guys try to bench press me, lol...and being more active; I also need to work on having a more active guard.

My diet was mildly better today; had a teeny bit of that weird egg crap for breakfast, then some friends went to Eegees for lunch but I was good and got a tuna salad, but then I ate the white bread with fake butter crap that came with it. I had about four spoonfuls of chocolate ice cream as my post-workout meal. Had a cup of coffee this morning with sugar and cream. I'm also getting some chicken ready for dinner with cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinagrette.

Didn't sleep enough last night...

This diet thing is gonna be a gradual process I think.

Yael Grauer
05-29-2008, 11:48 PM
5/29 took a rest day; unfortunately I'm throwing a big party tomorrow so that'll be a rest day too and then the weekend, so I'll have to do something to avoid having FOUR rest days...

breakfast: smoothie with milk, blueberries, cashews, fish oil (I forget what else, I know I added cinnamon and vanilla)
lunch: i got mexican food with friends and got the low-carb carne asada salad special, but then i ate chips and salsa to mess it all up
dinner: tried some of the non-paleo chili i'm cooking for tomorrow; it had beans
also some gum.
oh and i had coffee again, which is why i am still awake.

Yael Grauer
05-31-2008, 06:14 PM
i think i had donuts and coffee again on friday, and then party food, which was a load of chili, a lot of beer, some champagne and some chocolate cake. today was more chili, a couple leftover cookies, but i'm proud of myself for getting rid of the sodas and chocolate cakes.

Yael Grauer
06-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Haven't been posting but I've been training my a$$ off. I think two hours of grappling a day may be a bit much for me. Next week I can do two hours on Monday but Tues-Thurs will only be an hour because I have more pd during the day. And then I'll be out of town for a week...

I'm super ridiculously excited about improving my MMA game; it is awesome. I just learned some really great escapes from mount which I can't wait to test out on Monday...

Yael Grauer
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
So I left town for about ten days and didn't do any MMA; just long walks in the woods, a day of indoor climbing, stuff like that.

I'm hesitant to get back to class b/c my coach wants me training twice a day five days a week and his AC don't work so well, but I am itching to get back in so I'll do it soon.

In the summer I have trouble eating things other than boiled eggs and fruit.

Yael Grauer
06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Skipped class Monday and Tuesday, went Wednesday (we just worked on single leg takedowns and stuff), then I went Thursday and we just rolled but I got paired with the newbie gal so didn't get much of a workout at all, but I did some weights afterwards (deadlifts, lunges, pull-downs, shoulder presses) and am sore today so taking a day off...which sadly means three days off because of the weekend but whatever. I also did a bunch of assisted pullups yesterday... I have a pullup bar in my house now so whenever my boyfriend comes over I get to watch him do pullups and then he spots me which is nice. He said he didn't feel like he was giving much assistance at all, which is nice... I think I did six or seven the first time but only 1 the second time.

Been eating pretty clean but I did have a beer last night and some garbanzo beans and tomatoes with my chicken. Breakfast is eggs with spinach, mushrooms, cheese and onions.

Yael Grauer
12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
12/30

BJJ: 2 hours of no-gi. It felt really good; I'm getting better at switching positions to get out of subs... Was rolling with one guy who I just assumed was a blue belt but turns out he's a wrestler, so he always goes in quarters and practically gives me his back. I got him in a choke which he tried to roll out of but I kept it on tight and then some guys watching told me to stretch him out more and then told him how to get out of it. It was fun. I also rolled with another guy who's got limited jits but did a ton of Muay Thai. Very strong and still developing his technique. Fun to roll with. Before the roll we worked on some ankle lock and also on some other technique but me and the girl I train with couldn't get either of them to work on each other. I think we are just too flexible because they said we were doing it right.

Weights: rest day

Food: 3 eggs, half an onion, about 5 oz. smoked turkey breast, abt 2 cups spinach, an apple, couple handfuls mixed nuts, PWO blue corn chips and salsa. Likely not enough food but I wasn't too hungry for some reason. Had my 8 cups of water.

Supplements: Just CLO and multi... I take 1/6 of what they say to take for the multi but it works. Taking Barlean's for CLO even though it's got glycerin and nasty stuff because I can get myself to take it regularly so it works for now.

Recovery/Mobility: Still working on the exercises my PRI therapist gave me... sternal positional stretches, some weird balloon exercises to get my diaphragm working properly, etc. This week also working on being aware of how my jaw is moving. We are trying to get my head to sit square on C1 and see if that doesn't fix up the rest of it. He's been doing a lot of work on my jaw. Last week he told me he'd need to glove up and stick his finger in my mouth to work on my jaw. This week he asked me if I'd been worrying about it, and I told him I'd been drinking in Minnesota the whole week. LOL. It was actually really nice to have some of that jaw tension released--I didn't even know it was there.

Sleep: About ten hours, which was weird and way more than I normally get, but maybe I needed it.

Stress level: Pretty low but I am on vacation after all. Ask me again next week.

Yael Grauer
01-01-2009, 11:12 AM
12/31

BJJ: rest day

Weights: rest day

Food:
8 eggs, 4 ounces smoked turkey breast
2 cups spinach, 1/2 c broccoli, 1/4 c green onions, 1/4 c zucchini, 1 clove garlic
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, 2 handfuls mixed nuts

cheat meal at the comedy club: 1 Bass, about two small glasses champagne, free breakfast buffet including some potatoes, biscuit, sausage, 1 glass OJ, and I barely touched my powdered eggs and salsa, oh wait I think I had a small pastry too. I'm just glad I didn't get hit by the flying bottle.

Supplements: CLO. I need to get fish oil too but can't decide on a brand that's not rancid

Recovery/Mobility: same same. I think I am chewing on my left side more than right side.

Sleep: I think about 9 but we did drink

Stress level: very low

Yael Grauer
01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
1/1

BJJ: rest day. I'm hoping to do M/W/F/Sat or at least three of the four

Weights: Am hoping to do Tues/Thurs/Sat
So yesterday I did
2 X 15 DB squats (20#), 2 X 15 alt. sets of pushups and db bent-over rows (also 20#), alt. sets of 2 X 15 step-ups and 2 X 8 prone jacknife (jacknives?) again with only 20#.

That's as low as my switch plate db's go (10# each) but I quit the gym when I started BJJ and am just starting up again with lifting now that I have a switchplate db set at home. Also am learning how to use my body differently now that my lordosis is pretty much cut in half. So I'm going to start with 2X15 low weights and then slowly move to 3X10 and 8. Following the NROL for Women, starting over basically, and last time I started at 45 not 20, but whatever... so it goes.

Recovery/Mobility: same exercises

Food: 1.5 lb organic, free-range etc. chicken, 3.5 cups bok choi from my garden!, an apple, about four cherry tomatoes, PWO can of garbanzo beans, 2 handfuls of mixed nuts

Supplements: CLO

Sleep: 8 hours

Stress level: Mild, only stressor is the impending doom of work again on Monday

Yael Grauer
01-03-2009, 09:51 AM
1/2 was not ideal

First, I missed BJJ but only because I had plans to see Valkyrie and didn't want to go to a 10:40 PM movie so had to catch the 7:55, hence no MMA

Weights were already a rest day

I only did one of three recovery/mobility exercises

I ate .5 lb chicken, green tea, some almonds, and a ton of popcorn at the movie, and that's about it as far as i remember

I don't remember if I got my CLO in

I slept 8.5 or so hours I think

Stress level mild

I just got wrapped up in articles I was writing and am a workaholic when it comes to that...

Yael Grauer
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
stress level high
lots of massage torture today

i did workout b with 20# each except 30# for second set of deads

pear
corn dog and tater tots and chocolate milk
chicken, spinach (4 cups), garlic, onion

no time to write it all out but i'm behind so...for now...

Yael Grauer
01-08-2009, 06:22 AM
trying to remember my diet for 1/06, was it the ben and jerry's diet and i plum forgot? i know i had organic pot pie with potatoes and corn and beef

1/07 was a grapefruit, i think a pear, some mixed fruit, chocolate milk, fried chicken, trail mix, potatoes

Yael Grauer
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
1/8/09

BJJ: Missed again; I've been missing a lot of classes but I don't like rolling when I'm on the rag. So there you go.

Weights
2 X 15 DB squats (30# total, 15 X2), 2 X 15 alt. set pushups and db bent over rows (30#), alt. sets of 2 X 15 step-ups (30# again) and 2 X 8 prone jacknives.

Recovery/Mobility: It is SO weird having had my jaw released. I had no idea it carried that much tension for so long. Now it just feels weird. I'm hesitant to lift too much because I know my posture is still all messed up and don't want to exacerbate anything, but my PRI/massage guy told me I should keep doing everything I'm doing to see how it feels and if it is different.

Food:
I keep screwing up and doing the school lunch because I am too busy or disorganized or forgetful to pack a lunch. I even circled the days I thought it'd be okay but screwed up again. So really weird cheeseburger with fake meat, trail mix with sugar, chocolate milk, tomato, some kind of canned fruit with whipped cream stuff, oh yeah and I ate an apple and some cashews, and a Gotham salad with garbanzo beans. Oh, green/acai tea. And I had some chocolate peanut butter bars from Whole Foods. The cashier pointed out to me that I bought something with chocolate in it every single time I came in. He said it was okay, though, and started describing, in detail, the eating habits of one of his coworkers (who was right there and looking increasingly embarrassed at every moment). I am just going to go with I'm increasingly insulin resistant that time of month so anyone without estrogen should just STFU.

Supplements: CLO, some chlorella for something I'm doing

Sleep: 8 hours last night, still feeling really tired

Stress level: Kinda high. Noticing it's all I can do to keep my composure and professionalism at work and then when I go home it's hard not to let the rest of my life go to shit.

Yael Grauer
01-10-2009, 11:02 AM
BJJ: I showed up and nobody else where there! really disappointing

Weights: off

recovery/mobility: off

food; i had like two of those turkey/chicken sausages for breakfast/lunch, plus a grapefruit and cashews and then a chicken sandwich at bentley's open mic. eh.

Supplements: CLO, some chlorella for something I'm doing

Sleep: 9 hours

Stress level: varying

Yael Grauer
01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
BJJ: About an hour of no-gi, though I guess I only rolled for about 18 minutes. Working on getting s guard by walking the shoulder up and getting the knee in and then the other leg in position before going for an armbar, and on pushing one leg back and the opponent's opposite knee to get a guard pass and go into a side variation

recovery/mobility: exercises, back feels all twisty

food: let's see... i had white tea with a little sugar at my neighbors, and the two leftover chicken/turkey sausages with peppers, and some chicken, oh and post-workout choc. ice cream bar, and i had a fat tire

Supplements: CLO, chlorella

Sleep: 7 hours

Stress level: kinda low-ish

Yael Grauer
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Still really sore, no jits or lifting, some mobility work, CLO and chlorella, stress way high, diet started out perfect (3 eggs, a grapefruit, steak, etc.) but I was going nuts trying to get my work done and so I ate caramel/chocolate popcorn, had a chai tea, tried an avocado which ended up being unripe, still don't feel good mentally, stress level = high

Yael Grauer
01-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Oops, forgot to add I also had chickpeas on 1/11.

1/12
Was in a hurry so I just hardboiled like six eggs to take to work with me. Didn't get to them until lunchtime and after the first four or so I just started eating yolks. Had to go directly to a work training after school where I ate all kinds of sugary crap like a bunch of m+ms and a soda or two and some doritos I think it was. Went home and ate some cauliflower/cashew stuff and was bouncing off the walls from the sugar. Consequently only got five hours of sleep. Oh I ate an avocado, too.

I made soup with lamb and every vegetable left in my fridge so today should be better.

Yael Grauer
01-14-2009, 06:28 AM
1/13/08

BJJ: Two hours of no-gi. We worked on takedown defense (when they go for a single-leg with both hands and you push the elbow off and take the back), some guard passes (one from half guard where you sit down facing the other way, then they buck towards you and you push the knees down and get mount), setting up triangle chokes, a bit of defense... oh yeah, and the one thing where you sit on their feet and grab the ankles and move your weight to one side, post on your shoulders, clear the knee and end up in side. Good stuff.

Weights: off, will need to catch up to get 2 more X this week, or is it 3?

recovery/mobility: i didn't do my exercises that i'm supposed to do every day, bah

food: i am out of food and broke 'til friday so resorted to heating up all of my vegetables and meat into some big-ass stew, which I ate a lot of. I also had a soda at work to try to stay awake.

Supplements: CLO, forgot to take chlorella

Sleep: six maybe? not nearly enough

Stress level: medium

Yael Grauer
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
1/14

BJJ: off

weights: 2 X 15 30# deadlifts, 2 X 15 30# db shoulder presses, some wide grip hangs cos no pulldown machine, 2 X 15 30# lunges and 1 X 16 swiss ball crunches

recovery/mobility: I went to my PRI guy again and it was AMAZING. He did some more jaw torture and also gave me some stretches, mostly to stretch out my left adductor which is weak, right sidelying adductor pullbacks and right sidelying apical expansion with left arm reach and left adductor stretches and some other stuff... it is incredible...some right arm reach stuff too. I was like, "This is like the opposite of how it feels when my back gets twisted!" He said I was sensitive enough to feel it as that was exactly what he was trying to do. So that's pretty cool. I felt like a million bucks when we were done, excited to see how this progresses.

Oh yeah. I brought in my mouthguard for him to look at b/c ever since we did all that jaw release work it hurts when I wear it. So I think if my jaw is sitting differently now I should probably get another one--it's one of the Shock Doctor kinds that forms to your jaw. But uh he told me to wait 'til we're all done with our work cos otherwise I'd need a new expensive mouthguard every week or two. He did all kinds of tests with it in and out to see what's going on though. I don't know exactly what he's looking for every time he does this but I really trust him. I think it's good that he kind of acts like a coach because when he tells me to do something I'll do it even when I can't. lol.

food: I am really broke til Friday and so I put all of my veggies and my lamb into one giant pot and made stew... cabbage, squash, red peppers, a sweet potato, blah blah... and that's all i've eaten all day. though my best friend said she'd get me chocolate.

Supplements: CLO and chlorella, took some traumeel too

Sleep: HOPING for seven or 8

Stress level: medium

Allen Yeh
01-15-2009, 04:26 AM
PRI is the posture thing right? How many times have you been? How many sessions are left?

Yael Grauer
01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Yes, PRI is the Postural Restoration Institute. And we're not sure how long is left; it depends on how fast it goes... like how fast I can activate the muscles on my left side and stretch the ones on the right. I did tell him if I didn't see major shifts in a month I was out of there, though. I have been four times so it's been a month and I've seen major shifts and also people are telling me my posture is improving. Plus the stretches really rock.

I'm hoping it doesn't take more than 6 months or so.

Allen Yeh
01-15-2009, 06:21 AM
So what happens after they are done? I'm just curious. Are there things you need to be aware of to make sure your posture doesn't "slip" back?

Yael Grauer
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, if my correct muscles are activating and my body realigns and rib cage/collar bone placement changes and I am moving correctly, I think I'll be good from there. But I'm not really sure as we haven't gotten that far yet.

Derek Simonds
01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
1/13/08

BJJ: oh yeah, and the one thing where you sit on their feet and grab the ankles and move your weight to one side, post on your shoulders, clear the knee and end up in side. Good stuff.

I thought I knew which pass you were describing but now am not sure. My favorite open guard pass is where you trap their legs and encircle both of them with your arms. Then you make your chest heavy to one side of their knees and push both legs over with your chest on top of their legs. Once the legs are pinned to the mat you start inching your way up the legs and body to take side. I think it is similar just not sure about where you describe clearing the knee.

Looks like your training has been going pretty good. Any plans on a tournament this year?

Yael Grauer
01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
So you are standing, and your opponent is trying to get their butterfly hooks but doesn't have them in yet. Or they are just sitting with their feet out. You sit on top of their legs and kind of bury your head on their left side. Then you kick both of your own feet up, to clear their knee (as in, bring your body over it so you don't get stuck) on the right side and get side control. Make sense? If not maybe I can get videos/pictures.

Tournament? Hmmm... Let me get my body moving correctly first and then work on my game some more and I'll start thinking about thinking about it. I don't think I'm even close to ready yet.

Yael Grauer
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I didn't lift or do BJJ today because I am exhausted from another mere six hours of sleep.

I am trying to figure out what is going on with me mentally. I get so exhausted (emotionally) from work that it is difficult to do very basic things like dishes or sorting/grading papers, and it's really easy stuff that I need to be doing. So I need to figure out what to do about that.

Also trying to figure out my diet. I thought maybe I needed carbs to deal with my stress/sleep deprivation but didn't feel like eating even those.

Also I need to figure out my exercises that I'm supposed to be doing. One of them is easy but two are incredibly confusing, with bolsters and towels and bands, and maybe I didn't really "get" them when we went over them because I don't understand from the instructions. Which is frustrating. But I'm sure I'm one of those clients that asks way too many questions and makes the session take too long.

supplements: same

sleep: i want to get 7 but it looks like i'll get 6 again, which sucks

stress: med/high

Yael Grauer
01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Got 7 hours of sleep last night. Went to MMA today. Kind of disappointing... barely worked up a sweat.

I feel like I am not getting pushed hard enough. Sometimes I feel like I get treated like a princess and I really want to get my ass kicked. I wish we did more drills against a ton of resistance, or that when I roll against someone way better than me who kills me that I'd learn more from it.

I want to go to the Thiago Alves seminar tomorrow, so we'll see if I wake up in time and decide to spend the $$.

Ate a lot of empty carbs for the energy/stress-relieving properties but it didn't help. I ddi eat a lot of yogurt. Anyway I'm gonna try to do my exercises and go to bed.

Yael Grauer
01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
1 hr of no-gi
need to work on base and tighter armbars, and getting my knee under their ass when trying to pass closed guard

2 X 12 40# squat
2 X 12 pushup and 40# bent over row
2 X 12 40# step-up and 2 X 8 jacknife

food eh lotsa tea at seven cups, yogurt, junk, about to watch the fights so will probably have a beer

slept ten hours last night

Yael Grauer
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
didn't have beer saturday night, had veggies and mashed potatoes with my beef and mushroom thingy

what the heck did i eat yesterday and why can't i remember? i know i had white peach tea and a chicken bacon avocado sandwich and a cookie, but i'm pretty sure i had breakfast and lunch in there too.

today was a protein salad (lettuce, chicken salad, tuna salad, etc.) and a cup of raw milk as a PWO drink, oh and a chocolate shake. i need to eat more

still working on my back exercises, which are really trippy. apparently there's a spot between my shoulder blade and lower back that i've just never used before. or something.

took fish oil, same old.

weights: 2 X 12 40# deadlifts, 2 X 12 40# db shoulder presses, some wide grip hangs cos no pulldown machine, 2 X 12 40# lunges and 2 X 8 swiss ball crunches

Yael Grauer
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
raw milk, yogurt, meatballs and some celebratory junk food like champagne and brownies and crap

not enough sleep, stress high, blah blah

Yael Grauer
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
my left mid to upper back has been hurting, and my back guy today told me that it was because now that my psoas is releasing and hip flexors are opening up and i'm learning how to use my hip adductor (or abductor, whichever it is), for some reason my back is picking up the work my butt is supposed to be doing. which is why it's so sore. he says i need heat.

he says it's not that my body's broken but just that different parts of it are talking to one another and my left lat/trap/etc. is pissed off right now, but after they are done with their peace talks everything will settle down. i wish it was less steps to the process though, but he gave me ways to modify the exercises i've been doing to not aggravate my back.

Yael Grauer
01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I took about a week off. Did jits yesterday. I guess I just feel like putting stress on my body when it's not working right will only exacerbate the problem, so I'm gonna take it easy on the weights. I wonder if I should just be working the left side of my body. lol. Anyway, bjj was good except one guy was going too hard and didn't realize it. I actually stopped him mid-roll and left. Which I have never ever done before no matter how hard we are going and how tired i was. I wasn't even tired, but he was getting ready for a tournament and going pretty hard and got tired of getting slammed, plus i ate a few elbows to my face (inadvertent, i'm sure) and stuff. So I decided to leave before I got injured.

I am eating tons of egg yolks; not sure what that's all about.

Yael Grauer
02-04-2009, 06:18 AM
So I am trying to figure out why I struggle so much with this whole regimen thing. I guess I decided to stop with the weights for a while until my back is fixed up more since it seems to exacerbate the situation, by adding weight I seem to be strengthening dysfunctional movement patterns. And it sucks because that is the only thing I can do in my house anytime, etc. But why can't I keep up with jits and my diet, is the question. it's not that I don't want to or am not dedicated since obviously I keep trying over and over again. I think part of it is that my lifestyle doesn't support it. I will eat low carb breakfast and lunch but by the time I hit dinner and have hours of work to do...well, I need more carbs to handle the stress. Like my body won't function without them and I need to get the shit done. Like yesterday grading til 12:30 AM... and being busy is part of what keeps me from going to jits. Or being sleep deprived. SO not sure what to do. I am thinking of keeping an excuse log to try to see what the patterns are and try to fix them slowly. Or come up with smaller goals, break the big ones down more, so I won't go from eating ben and jerrys and not sleeping or training to trying to do cyclic low carb and weights three days a week and jits six days a week and make it half a week before I'm off the wagon. My boyfriend is moving in too and he eats three meals a day and snacks so I think we may start cooking together, which will help. But he's out of town for almost the entire month, so I want to get to it before that. Anyway just some random thoughts.

At least my better posture is making me look liek I'm in great shape lol

Yael Grauer
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
BJJ for 2 hours. More PRI. Taking 2 weeks off of weights for now til the posture stuff is more settled. Need to do more jits.

Yael Grauer
02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Okay, so I am keeping a jits log, or rather an excuse log, to see why I am missing classes. Here it is for the past week or so since my last post:

6-no BJJ (fri is MMA day with very few students, I rarely go anymore)
7-job fair
8-no class

*9-trained
10-job interview
11-dentist appointment
*12-trained
13-MMA day
*14-trained
15-no class

So I did 3X this week which is okay for now. Feeling a little sore. Still no weights but I see my PRI guy on Wednesday, and the areas we were working on activating are sore, so I am hopeful.

Diet. Ummm... On Valentine's Day I had two eggs, fruit, a smoothie, pork tenderloin, asparagus, red potatoes, popcorn and homemade chocolate... So about like that.

Working on modified Weston Price diet-type stuff for dental health; more on that later.

Yael Grauer
02-21-2009, 10:39 AM
16-no BJJ, was getting my taxes done
17-BJJ, no-gi
18-BJJ
19-no BJJ, job interview + not feeling well, also had to spend time with my man he was away for a week
20-no BJJ, still have a cold
21-everyone's at the tournament, no class
22-no class

So I did 2X even though I wanted three but I'm pretty run down so I think it's okay.

I am working on breathing exercises with my posture guy. He said after I do that I can lift on Monday and Tuesday and see him on Wednesday. My posture is really improving, so I'm happy.

Derek Simonds
02-21-2009, 11:18 AM
3 X's and 2 X's a week, at least you are making the BJJ happen. Interesting watching what is going on with your posture. I will be looking to see what he says after you work out on Mon and Tues.

Yael Grauer
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, it should be interesting!! I got the Roadmap to BJJ DVD in the mail so I'm really stoked; should be fun.

Okay, so weights... I did 2 X 12 40# back squats, 2 X 12 pushups and db bent over rows (also 40#), 2 X 12 40# step-ups and 2X8 jacknives. My right side still feels off but we'll see. Tomorrow is dead, db press and lunge day.

Still feel a bit of a cold.

Yael Grauer
02-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Day 2 weights, I did 2 X 12 40# deads, 2X12 db presses, then 2X12 lunges and 2X8 sb crunches.

Then I went to jits but it was canceled. Which is going to make it difficult to meet my 3X/week thing. I had a parent meeting late Monday and then go to my back guy Wednesday, which I had to change from afternoon to evening because of a parent conference. So I guess I will go Thurs, Fri and Sat since those are all days off for me because of rodeo days. But I usu try not to do 3 days in a row. Guess I will see how I feel.

Good news: my collarbones are now straight! Just like I was told they should look but I didn't believe it! I still feel like my right side is kinda messed up a little though, but I may just be nitpicking.

Yael Grauer
02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
My collarbones are at about 15 degrees; far better than the 45 I started with but not quite at 0. Moving right along though.

I trained on Friday and felt like I hurt my knee so I didn't go or lift today. So only 1X. Would've been twice if it wasn't canceled! I wanted to do Thurs but was picking up grapefruits and lemons from someone's tree and kinda got stuck there... Maybe I will watching my BJJ instructional DVD this weekend to make up for it.

I've been eating REALLY well all of a sudden...

Thursday I had orange juice, fruit and eggs for breakfast, then didn't eat lunch because I had dental work and my mouth was numb (and no I didn't need a crown and am glad I got a second opinion). I had grapefruit as a snack, a Larabar, an apple, and the most amazing mushroom/beef stew ever with sesame seeds and bok choi from the garden.

Friday I had a salmon omelette, a grapefruit, leftover mushroom/beef stew, oh and I mad a different post-workout beef stew with carrots and parsnips that I ate. I will confess to two Hershey kisses at my legislator's office as he had me waiting quite a while.

Saturday--today--raw milk with unsweetened acai for breakfast, a grapefruit of course, the leftover PWO stew (it's still Paleo and my boyfriend claimed the mushroom/beef stew b/c it was yummier) and am about to go to the Weston Price potluck and will surely have a healthy dinner...though I did make chocolate with raw honey and coconut oil and raw organic cacao powder.

Yael Grauer
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
First, yesterday's Weston Price potluck I had lots of yummy grassfed beef prepared in different ways, some properly prepared beans and even a baby muffin (soaked and freshly ground grain, I forget what it was but it wasn't wheat), veggie salad, fruit salad, and a piece of my homemade chocolate which went pretty fast (raw organic cacao powder, organic cold expeller-pressed virgin coconut oil, unprocessed honey), and some fermented ginger beer which prolly had sugar in it in, but didn't taste like it. I thought it was pretty healthy all things considering (as in if I'm gonna cheat eventually I may as well eat grain that's processed correctly.)

Sunday

food:

breakfast: smoothie with raw milk, frozen cherries and raw cacao powder

lunch: PWO 2 beef tamales

dinner: some kinda kick-ass fiesta soup with chicken and tomatoes (i love getting cooked for) plus romaine lettuce and balsamic vinagrette (which I late found out had some kinda bad oil in it, but whatever, can't win 'em all). oh and a piece of pineapple

snacks: i bought a piece of raw chocolate at the farmer's market which i found out AFTERWARDS had agave nectar in it, i assumed it had honey b/c they sell it. i also had a couple crackers with cheese on it and all, but such tiny amounts not sure it matters. i am not binging on pints of ben and jerry's and that's the important thing

workout:
3 X 10 50# squats
3X10 pushups and db bent-over rows (50#)
3X10 50# stepups and 3X12 sb jacknives

Yael Grauer
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
BJJ for abt 2 hrs

breakfast: scrambled eggs and OJ
lunch: salad with crappy lettuce, a few tomatoes, some baby carrots and awful Ranch dressing
after-school snack/dinner: a banana, two cups of raw milk with some raw cacao powder and honey blended in, some more chicken/tomato soup from yesterday
after-BJJ snack: another cup raw milk, an orange
still hungry bedtime snack: another tamale

basically, work stresses me out and makes me want to eat, but at least i'm not eating wheat or tons of sugar so I think I'll keep taking that step and ween myself off the corn and juice later. though diluted juice may not be so bad and at least the corn is prepared properly with lime etc

Yael Grauer
03-03-2009, 08:53 PM
breakfast: scrambled eggs, OJ, a banana
lunch: salad with ranch. I need to start making my own salads instead of paying $2.50 for the shitty school lunch salad. oh and i had a grapefruit
dinner: made beef tomato soup with meatballs, grassfed beef is yum
cheat snack: had some butter popcorn and a beer at Lunafest, oh and a mini-Luna bar (it was free!)

Yael Grauer
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
breakfast: smoothie with 1 cup raw milk, about a half bag of frozen blueberries and 2 raw eggs
lunch: leftover tomato/meatball soup from yesterday
dinner/cheat meal: salmon and ginger lentils with bok choy and then a cold stone milkshake with whipped cream and everything

Went to see my back guy. He is awesome. My collarbone is good to go now (we measured it) but my hip placement is still a bit off and so I need to work to strengthen my left leg. Everything he is showing me made sense because my rib placement is a bit off and it also explained why I find some simple medicine ball twists excruciatingly painful the next day (not that I've done any since we've started). Looking at some old photos I also see how my pelvic tilt is affecting the way my body wants me to stand. etc.

Also working on some other issues re: teeth health. Got my tooth blotter from the Price-Pottenger Foundation and some other stuff. Oh and my fermented cod liver oil yay!

Been tripping up on sleep this week, this is the 2nd night I'll only get six hours. :( need to work on it.

xo

Derek Simonds
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I think I remember somewhere in your log that your back guy is PRI is that right? Are they a national deal? My wife really wants to talk with someone and maybe start going. I told her I would research.

Yael Grauer
03-05-2009, 05:52 AM
I think I remember somewhere in your log that your back guy is PRI is that right? Are they a national deal? My wife really wants to talk with someone and maybe start going. I told her I would research.

Yes, they are national. Actually the guy Neil I interviewed for the P-Menu Journal I was trained by them, but I didn't get as good results with him as I did with my current guy because I was going very inconsistently and not doing my exercises because they were so hard. This time with a different PRI guy is working very well--I'm going every single week and doing the exercises.

Here is the link: http://posturalrestoration.com/find-a-therapist/

Derek Simonds
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Awesome, thanks a ton.

Yael Grauer
03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Awesome, thanks a ton.

Sure! Let me know how it goes.

Breakfast: two eggs, scrambled
Lunch: barbecue chicken and applesauce (maybe had sugar in it) and some carrot sticks and a bit of salad no dressing
Dinner: about to eat PWO tamales

did BJJ

Yael Grauer
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
two eggs with some hot-sauce thing that was vinegar-y
leftover tomato soup sans meatballs because i'd already picked 'em out
rotisserie chicken and potato salad from safeway
i also had a handful of mike 'n ikes i confess

oh and some emergen-c lite

have a cold AGAIN but i guess it comes with the territory, actually bought cold medicine because i have two job fairs

also got acupuncture. rolling with a lady twice my weight yesterday didn't do much for my body, even though she was trying not to use her weight. which was nice because otherwise i would've been silently suffocating.

Yael Grauer
03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
been sick and off the wagon, blah blah

trained monday and today

Yael Grauer
03-14-2009, 09:42 PM
bjj today

noticed i haven't done any weights all week; trying to figure out how to juggle everything

Yael Grauer
03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
intro bjj and no-gi classes, both yesterday

Yael Grauer
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM
went to SBGi seminar so got beat up all sat and sun

Yael Grauer
03-27-2009, 06:46 AM
okay so did jits sat and sun like i said and then again yesterday (thurs)...

my contract is running out so trying to decide what to do.

Yael Grauer
04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
visited a new gym tues and thurs
started my new workout day 1 on wed

Yael Grauer
04-06-2009, 06:43 AM
day 2 of workout yesterday

Yael Grauer
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess I took a week and a half off by accident. Was crazy at school with a whole week of testing. Anyway I did BJJ yesterday (new gym!) and they have some sick conditioning thrown in to kill more birds with stones. Working on transitions with wrist control from kimuras to americanas and some arm bar stuff. etc. putting the leg over the head for americanas, focusing on the opposite side leg for arm bars instead of the one you are swinging over the head. Good stuff. Also I went to my PRI guy for new exercises last week.

Yael Grauer
04-22-2009, 07:23 AM
went to a stripe test at my new gym yesterday. the conditioning is sick but i am always able to complete all of it just not quite as fast as everyone else. but i was faster than all the little kids so at least that says something. :p

we just did a bajillion drills and then hard wrestling. still working hard on not getting tapped and in fact only one of the guys i rolled with tapped me--twice, arm bar. i had my arms in well so not sure what happened; will have to ask him.

Yael Grauer
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM
more bjj. my conditioning sucks.

Yael Grauer
05-02-2009, 01:18 PM
bjj mon + thurs

trying to figure out how to tweak the specialized program lyle wrote for me with the massive amounts of conditioning at my bjj gym

loving it though. got a kimura finally and some crazy spider guard sweep worked on a newbie; it was fun.

Yael Grauer
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
p.s. working on a bunch of stretches/postural restoration stuff still

prone inferior glute max, adductor magnus and quadratus femoris stretch
supine psoas and iliacus/rectus femoris stretch
prone low trap
prone middle trap
left sidelying right glute max (i like this one)
right sidelying left glute max with right glute max
standing supported left squat lateral dips
standing supported left squat with right hip flexion and right trunk rotation (i hate this one)
standing supported left squat with right glute max

Allen Yeh
05-03-2009, 06:10 AM
How is the posture rehab stuff working?

Yael Grauer
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
How is the posture rehab stuff working?

well i am now able to do exercises that were way too hard for me in the beginning, and am having more focused problems in smaller areas rather than overall pain, so i think it is improving. never fast enough though.

Yael Grauer
05-14-2009, 11:31 PM
okay, so i got some more back work done, but mostly he really dug into my psoas, which is still tighter on the right side, and he'd have me lift my leg, i guess it is repositioning better, and then we'll have to do jaw work again soon.

bjj yesterday. need to be more consistent, but i need to slepe more to do that, and am soooo swamped all the time. wah.

Yael Grauer
05-17-2009, 08:24 AM
bjj sunday

i can feel the left side of my body getting stronger as we work on repositioning the right side (with my back guy) to not work as hard

Yael Grauer
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
i meant bjj saturday morning

still felt sore today so i took wobenzym and went again tonight

left trap working for a change; nice

Yael Grauer
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Wow, I haven't updated in a while!

I'm fully on-board with some Precision Nutrition stuff. So for week one we are alternating between two different light workouts (very light weights; getting used to the movements)

Tuesday and today I did (and will do again Sat)

mostly 3 sets of 5 with 45# Oly bar for bb and 15# db's for db work

workout #1
1. lumberjack squats
2. front squats
3. back squats
4. dumbbell rear lunge
5. db fwd lunge
6. walking lunge
7. bulgarian split squat
8. lateral squat
9. db swings
10. Romanian dl
11. 1 leg db R. DL
12. no trap bar so I did db deads,
13. deadlift

First time I did it I had trouble with the lumberjack squats, lateral squats, Bulgarian split squats and 1-leg Romanian deads
Second time I got the lumberjack squats and Bulgarian s.squats right but forgot to go back to neutral between lateral squats, and I noticed my legs aren't making a perfect 90 degree angle for the Romanian deads. Hmmm, we'll see.

Then this is what I did Wed and will repeat on Fri and probably double up on Sat)
workout #2

1. assisted chinup
2. assisted pullup
3. assisted neutral pullup
4. bend-over alternating db row
5. bent-over pronated db row
6. bb corner row
7. push-up
8. db bench
9. bb bench
10. bb corner press
11. dips on bench or dip bars (I did assisted dips)
12. single-arm db shoulder press
13. standing bb shoulder press

I felt okay with these except the corner press and the corner row. Did 1 set of 3-5 for each of these (since I went too hard with workout #1) and I'm looking at 60# assist for the pullup/dip variations. I had a note to look at the pronated bb row but I'm pretty sure I was doing it right. Light weights--45# bb and 15# for the db's.

Yael Grauer
06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I ordered a set of bands--one mini flex, one light flex, one average flex and one strong flex. Ridiculously expensive... 12, 22, 28, 34 = 96 plus $17.73 shipping = 113.73. So far I've spent $212.73 on the program (in addition to what they charge) because I also spent $99 to get a gym membership, but luckily got a good discount from Tucson Values Teachers. It's just a Y membership and $33/mo for 3 months with a waived $50 fee ain't bad, but I'm feeling annoyed at spending any money on a gym membership at all because I have these great switchplate dumbbell sets and already spend a lot on jiu jitsu. I'm leaving the country for 2 weeks next Wednesday but since I can't get the exercises etc. sent to me ahead of time that makes it really difficult to plan around it. Hopefully I can do some bodyweight exercises and use the bands to try to make it work and not get too far behind. It is a really expensive 24-week program but I am hoping to make it work and see what I get out of it. I kind of need a kick in the ass because I never seem to stick to anything consistently and having to pay for it is definitely going to help me be more accountable. Still I feel like I should be able to do it myself... like when my really rich friend hires a housecleaner she has the money and it's getting the job done but she still feels like if she had more willpower (etc.) it wouldn't be necessary. So that's kind of how I feel I guess.

Yael Grauer
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Finished the 1st week with those 6 workouts and then Sunday they just said to incorporate some type of movement work, so I rode my bike to the garden and back.

This is the two workouts this week. I'm leaving the country on Wed for 2 weeks so trying to figure out a way to incorporate these same exercises without any equipment for three or four days... Not sure what to do instead of pull-ups, rows, etc. Maybe push-up variations? What about instead of deads? superman/good morning? I'll have my bands with me but am really open to suggestions. Not getting much from them except "be creative."

Warmup 1:
band stomp (1-3 sets of 8-15)
walking lunge with warrior stretch (1-3 sets of 3-5)
bw alternating lateral squats (1-3 sets of 4-7)
bw side-to-side low lateral squats (1-3 sets of 3-6)
band squat (1-3 sets of 5-8)
overheard alt. rear lunge (1-3 sets of 5-8)
overhead alt.. fwd lunge (1-3 sets of 5-8)
overhead back/fwd lunge (1-3 sets of 3-5)
overhead squat (1-3 sets of 3-5)

the overhead stuff uses brooms

workout 1--limited "warm-up" weights, still practicing movements, 1-5 sets of 3-5
(i did 3 of 5 for everything except the lunge/squat variations b/c it was overkill)
lumberjack squat
front squat
back squat
alt. db rear lunge
fwd lunge
walking lunge
Bulgarian split squat
lateral squat
db swings
Romanian dead
single leg Romanian dead
trap bar/db dead (I used db)
regular dead

Did 45# for all of the bar ones except lumberjack squats and used minimal dumbbells, maybe 15# except the db swing was 30

How would you (anyone reading this!) modify this for bw?

i can do lumberjack squats, bw (air) squats, rear lunge, fwd lunge, walking lunge, split squats, lat. squats... but that's only 7 out of 13 exercises... Um, maybe good mornings, supermans, one-legged squat attempts? please send suggestions!
=============
warmup 2
overhead band pull (1-3, 5-9)
horizontal pull
single arm band shoulder press
single arm band shoulder fly
single arm band internal rotation
single arm band external rotation
side lying external rotation
sidelying rear delt fly
scarecrow
prone pushup
scap pushup
pronated reverse pushup
supinated reverse pushup
pronated reverse pushup scap retraction

Workout 2--again 1-3 sets of 3-5
chinup
pullup
neutral pullup
bent over db row
bb corner row
push-up
db bench
bb bench
bb corner press
dips
single arm db shoulder press
bb shoulder press

again, NO IDEA how to do bw modifications for these esp. since I use assistance. I can come up with maybe 5 push-up variations and can do band shoulder presses and dips using material I find around me but... pullups? rows? bench? any ideas? help!

workout 2

Yael Grauer
06-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Finished all the workouts this week--3 of each of those workouts with modifications I made up. We are also doing massive doses of fish oil--1 g per % of bf--in divided doses, plus a multi.

Yael Grauer
06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
So this week we were supposed to do 2 upper body, 2 lower body and 2 eew workouts. But unfortunately (well not really!) I was travelling so didn't get everything done. I did 1 lower body workout on Monday, 1 EEW on Wednesday (we did a LONG hike up a volcano--was told it'd take 5 hours but it took us 6), hotsprings on Thursday, upper body today (Fri) and so I'll be behind unless I can get myself to do 1 upper and 1 lower body workout tomorrow AND EEW.

Yael Grauer
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Okay, so I finished out the week last week with all the requisite workouts. And using weights instead of bands with full reps only left me a little sore, so I think my vacation band workouts were a success. BJJ yesterday.

Now we're on phase 3 this week...

Yael Grauer
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
The next four weeks of my program is circuits, 3 times a week, and I've put the rep scheme for each week after the exercises. I'm on the 2nd workout on the 2nd week. Been really consistent and also adding 2+ days a week of BJJ for my EEW work. So normally it looks like Mon: Full body Tues: BJJ Wed: Lower Body Thurs: off (or BJJ) Fri: Upper body Sat: BJJ Sun: off

But I can do workout 2 +3 without a day off in between. Just not 1+2

Workout 1: full body

1a explosive db/kb swing (4X10-12, 5X10-12, 5X10-12, 6X10-12)
1b lumberjack squat into calf-raise and press-out (4X15, 5X15, 5X15, 6X15)
1c pronated-grip reverse push-up (4AMRAP, 5AMRAP, 5AMRAP, 6AMRAP)

2a chin-up (3X9, 4X7, 4X7, 4X9)
2b vertical thrust (3X9, 4X7, 4X7, 4X9)
2c iron cross (3X9, 4X7, 4X7, 4X9)

So of course these are circuits with 10 sec. rest after each exercise

Workout 2: Lower Body (a lot of these have 30, 40 and 90 sec. rests instead of 10 sec.)

warmup
1a front squat (quasi warmup) (3-4 X 5-8 all four weeks)

2a bb back squat (3X12, 4X9, 4X9, 5X7)
2b alt. db rear lunge (3X9, 4X7, 4X7, 5X5)

3a trap bar/db dead (3X9, 3X10, 3X11, 3X12)
3b alt. lateral squat (3X6 all four weeks)
3c alt. single-leg hip bridge (3XAMRAP all four weeks)

Workout 3: Upper Body
warmup
1a bent-over alt. db row (3X9, 4X7, 4X9, 5X7)
1b slight-incline db bench press (4 X AMRAP all four weeks)

2a neutral-grip pull-up (4X6, 4X7, 4X8, 4X9)
2b seesaw press (2X12, 2X12, 3X9, 3X9)

3a bb corner press (2X12, 2X12, 3X9, 3X9)
3b bb corner row (2X12, 2X12, 3X9, 3X9)
3c cable push-pull (3X9, 4X7, 4X9, 5X7)

Yael Grauer
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
P.S. Diet is pretty good. Focusing on the fish oil and multivitamin (though we get to go back down to normal doses of fish oil soon; looking at combined EPA and DHA instead of 1g per percentage of bodyfat) and getting adequate protein in each meal and snack.

BJJ is looking pretty good. Was even thinking about competing this weekend but decided to wait 'til October for regionals since I've never even watched.

Back stuff is coming along nicely. My PRI guy says that my neck is loose enough now that I can work on strengthening my core... Good thing we already do that in our BJJ warmups.

Anyway I haven't lost any weight on this program yet, but my boyfriend tells me I look a lot healthier--skin and hair looks better and I'm not tired/cold all the time.

Yael Grauer
07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Okay, so it's been two months now since I started the PN LEW program and it's really great so far. I am seeing really great results #-wise (as in, what I can lift) and also losing centimeters (though not weight). I'm doing really well with their meal plan as it is easy to implement and my cravings have pretty much gone away. I'm not sure whether it's their mobility-based warmups, awesome workout program, the fish oil and multi, the carb timing, eating 4+ meals a day, protein in every meal and snack, or what but it is really really working.

My back is almost 100%. I do not have to see my PRI guy for another six weeks since we are just doing maintenance sessions at this point. The only things I really need to work on are ankle mobility, core strength and esp. getting my left side (core, obliques, etc.) as strong as my right which I am going to incorporate in my workout program.

Got a bunch of bloodwork done because my insurance covers it and everything came out normal. Things are going exceptionally well. My doctor told me that someone like me would be healthy my whole life, a nurse practitioner at a different place told me I had a really low resting heart rate and asked me if I was an athlete, one of the gals who works at Whole Foods commented about running into me at the gym and how I was lifting some pretty heavy weights, and all the good stuff just keeps coming. It is bizarre.

BJJ is also going incredibly well. I got a stripe on my belt yesterday! The best part, though, was that I could keep up on all of the warmups and knew all of the drills and was holding my own when it came time to roll. Of course I get tapped all the time because I'm way smaller and not as strong as most of our guys but I felt like I was really at my best. In fact I got to roll with one guy who tapped me about fifteen times in the first round we rolled, but then at the end of the night (after about 45 minutes of partner drills and 45 minutes of rolling) I got to roll with him again and I got him in a collar choke, then got a sweep on him and continued the choke from the top. He didn't tap for some reason but spent the whole round defending the choke, which made me feel really good because nobody gives an inch in BJJ, especially during a testing day. Also, although I still have some DOMS it is just regular DOMS and not my body twisting up in weird ways on me.

My new job starts in about a week, my boyfriend and I are disappearing to Sedona before then, and everything is just going amazingly incredibly well. I feel really blessed right now.

Yael Grauer
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah, some numbers... We just got the new program so this is just 2 of 4 days that I actually did. We're doing M/T/Th/Fr weights and W/Sa metcon, but I switch it around sometimes to fit in BJJ.

1st circuit 4 sets, :10 between exercises 3 min between sets
db/kb swing 4X8-10 (40/45/50/50)
sumo deadlift 4X5 (95)
swiss ball hip bridge into curl 4XAMRAP (7/9/9/9)

2nd circuit, :15 rest
single leg Romanian dead 3X9 (15, 20, 15)
donkey kickback 3X12 (5)

3X9 circuits chinups (40/50/60 assist, AMRAP at 40 then at 50 etc. each time) and push press 45/55/55. 1 minute rest between exercises.

3X12 circuits seated single arm cable pulldown @30, standing single arm DB shoulder press also at 30, 30 seconds rest between exercises

2X8 circuits vertical thruster 20/25, iron cross 4/5, kneeling cable rope pulldown @8, straight arm cable pulldown @8, 15 seconds between circuits

Yael Grauer
08-01-2009, 10:45 PM
workout #3

1. front squat (quasi-warmup) 4 X 6, 45#

2a bw jump squat into tuck 4 X 3, :15 rest
2b back squat 4 X 6, 95#, :15 rest
2c lumberjack squat 4 X 12 70#, 3:00 rest

3a alt. back/fwd lunge 25# dbs 3 X 4, :30 rest
3b alt. lat. squat 3X6, :90 rest 10/25/25

workout #4

1a bent-over pronated bb row 3X9 :60 rest
1b med. grip flat BB bench 3X9 :60 rest

just used the bar on this circuit

2a dips (i did bench dips) 4XAMRAP :10 rest
2b seated close neutral grip cable row 3X6 :90 rest (I did 8/11/13/13 settings)

3a one-arm bb press 3X12 (i did 60#) :10 rest
3b one-arm bb row 3X12 (3 min rest) I did 45#

Yael Grauer
12-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Haven't updated in a while but I finished the Berardi program. 6 months of training and diet at I'd say about 95% compliance (more like 100% when "cutting" weight for a BJJ match, less afterwards... I went down from say 28% BFP to about 24%. Workouts were weights for three or four days a week (three or four workouts repeating for fo three days of BVJJls each month) plus two to three days of BJJ plus all of the nutrition habits (they'd add new ones all the time), BCAA's, fish oil, multi and mobility work as a warm-up. Lost about five inches from my waist. The pictures were pretty telling. Felt a lot better physically and best of all managed to balance heavy training with weights AND jits with recovery.

So what's next? Trying to decide whether it's time to try to increase strength and gain mass or still try to lose fat. Trying to decide on the next program. Thinking of going back to NROL but have a few other options.

Yael Grauer
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
trying to decide on my next program... today just did front squats (4 sets of mostly 105 lb. 8 reps) hack squat attempts, bb lunges with 55 and 45 and contralateral supermans (supermen?) followed by the sauna