PDA

View Full Version : Yael's Log

Pages : [1] 2

Yael Grauer
02-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm already keeping a daily log somewhere else :( but I thought I'd use this just for monthly or bi-monthly updates on what I'm doing. For JAN I started the mass gain thingy with Ross Enamait stuff for core work and of course MMA once a week. I had to throw in four extra rest days to recover from that. SO just from the hypertrophy cycle my PR's for my clean, push press, standing press and snatch are all up by 10 pounds. My back squat is down 5# from my PR though. Anyway, it's been REALLY nice working out after taking an extended break due to injuries... and I was surprised to see some gains so quickly from a program that looks pretty low in volume.

Yael Grauer
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
For FEB I finished the mass gain program, which was awesome. I'm stoked that I got a 97 lb. front squat (up from 40!!) and would love to get a bw front squat within the next month or two.

I've switched to the "whatever my Olylifting coach tells me to do" program--he put me on a progression program he gives his developmental athletes. There are a lot of squats and many of the same progressions as the MG program (pulls, high pulls, snatch balances, etc.) with everything above the knee for now. Some db work and core work thrown in. I'm trying to figure out which of the core exercises I can do without messing up my back... staying away from "twists" for now.

Rick Deckart
03-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi Yael,

just two questions: would you mind telling me where your workout log is and what happend to your back?

Yael Grauer
03-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, I wrote a long-ish, witty response to this but it mysteriously disappeared! My back was a bit too lordotic, but I think it was due to tight hip flexors and just needed stretching out. I think my chiropractor led me to believe it was worse than it was. I'm switching chiropractors! I'm trying to see if they all give you really detailed treatments your first two sessions and then switch to the two-minute one-adjustment no-time-to-talk-or-answer-questions treatment once they think you're going to keep going. I also decided I need to focus just as much on ways that my body is functioning just perfectly, so I'd like to point out that all my friends who do bodywork, etc. tell me I look much more open and less hunched over. I've also noticed that my back is perfectly straight in the mirror if I just pull my shoulders waaaay back--but doing this makes me feel stupid.

I had a series of logs in various places, including a de-facto group training/goal log on a martial arts board, a couple training log incarnations on Ross's board, and I even started a blog to keep it all in one place but deleted it all. Right now I'm just doing a developmental Olylifting program which I'm keeping track of in a notebook. My coach looks at it, gives me feedback and makes adjustments. I never really got much feedback on my other logs (let alone feedback from someone with a skilled eye who can actually SEE what I'm doing right or wrong), so I'll stick with this approach for now.

Rick Deckart
03-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi Yael, I am just curious, and I read many training logs on a regular basis, although I seldom comment. I keep my log notes in a notebook too but decided to place them online. The P&B once initiated a thread to nominate a training log for critique but sadly this never took off. I wouldn't have minded some peer review of my means to train... I hope your training is going well!

Yael Grauer
03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, what I've been doing is a bunch of progression exercises (snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, snatch balances, clean pulls, tall cleans, tall push jerks), a bunch of squats (front, back, overhead), push presses, push jerks, and of course cleans and snatches. Almost everything is above the knee for now. Then some auxiliary db work (incline presses, db rows, prone db pullbacks, db side raises, db stepups, db curls, db reverse curls, db bench presses, overhead db ext. etc.) Not all on the same day of course. These isolated exercises are REALLY hard so I guess I must need them. And tricep pushdowns, wide grip pulldowns... Still trying to figure out which core work I can do without without messing up my back (Russian twists, decline situps, db side bends, knee-to-chest exercises, etc.) This month we're going to be adding on muscle snatches and I'm going to do split jerks... Just a bunch of progressions my coach came up with and tweaked based on what I need to work on and what he thinks I'm ready for. I'm training four days a week for about an hour and a half or so... Hope that helps.

Yael Grauer
03-22-2007, 12:08 PM
One of the guys I train with found a gym with bumper plates!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Yael Grauer
03-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Just thought I'd list some short-term goals here. I weigh somewhere around 140 (137 last I checked).

Front squat
goal: 115 X 5
now at 90 X 5
2006: 50 X 5

Back squat
goal: 130 X 5
now at 120 X 5
2006: 85 X 5

Overhead squat
goal: 90 X 5
now at 60 X 5
2006: 45 X 5

Press
now at 70 X 5...
I'm pretty happy with this for now, actually
look, I'm happy with something for now!
2006: 45 X 5

Now that I'm not embarrassed to post my numbers anymore I'm noticing that my workouts have gotten a lot harder. :rolleyes:

This month I've graduated from push jerks to split jerks and I think working on my starting stance and recovery are going to be the most challenging things for me... I'm still doing above-the-knee progressions for the Olympic lifts so not including those for now.

I've noticed that my workouts now are taking a lot longer especially with adequate recovery time between sets, so it's virtually impossible to try to squeeze them into my hour lunch-break. Trying to figure out how to juggle four days of 1.5 to 2 hr. workouts a week with a full time job, a part-time job, homework for my online classes, practicums for those classes, class observations (read: spying) at schools I may want to work at and MMA each week (not to mention article deadlines, looking for a job for fall and my semblance of a social life) is challenging, but I think I can pull it off. I'm trying to come up with a schedule to stick to instead of going to the gym when I feel like it, which ends up being three days a week instead of four... and I've been not signing up for work on Sat/Sun as much as I need to in order to pay for school. So here's my new tentative schedule (the numbers are hours and include some travel time).

SUN work 3, gym 2
MON class obs 3, work 11
TUES gym 2, work 11
WED work 11
THURS gym 2, work 11
FRI class practicum 8.5, homework 3
SAT MMA 2, gym 2, work 3

I'm still managing 8 hours on most nights, but it's impossible to work until 10:30 and get up as early as 6 AM. Luckily in two weeks my practicums will start at 8:30 and are only 45 minutes away, so I'll be able to get up at 7.

Actually, I should be sleeping right now.

Yael Grauer
03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Okay, since y'all know what I'm eating I may as well start posting some numbers... plus I'm inspired by Megan. :)

5 X 5 snatch high pull and muscle snatch, 20#
5 X 5 snatch (ak), 20, 30, 30, 30, 30
5 X 5 snatch push press all 20's

been really working on good form with lower weights, getting extension further back than I'm comfortable with... the whole shoulders in the ears thing. it feels wrong getting the bar behind my head, i keep thinking I'm gonna fall over, but my coach (who really knows his stuff) says it just feels weird because I have no muscle there yet

5 X 5 front squat: 45# X 5, 95# X 3, 65# X 5, 85# X 5, 95# X 5, 100# X 5
Okay, I totally messed this up because I kept getting the plates wrong. First I accidentally put on 25# plates instead of 10's (damn, why does 65 feel so heavy?) and then I thought I put on 5's when I put on 10's, and I ended up squatting way more than expected. Other than accidentally grabbing two different size dumbbells, this is the first time I've ever done that. :o

4 X 8 db incline press, 20, 20, 25, 25
4 X 10 wide grip pulldowns, 60, 60, 65, 70
4 X 12 prone db pullbacks, 12
I ended up doing these circuit-style due to shared equipment.

15 X 4 decline situps, 10#
prone planks...was supposed to be 4 by 30 seconds but I forgot I had my cell phone timer with me... I had this nice conversation with the cute guy at my gym right before I started my workout and obviously was totally distracted. :o (He told me where to buy chalk and let me use his the other day; I'm in love!)

This is part of the series of ab exercises I'm doing; trying to see which ones won't hurt my back.

shoulders still really sore from clean pulls the other day.

Yuen Sohn
03-30-2007, 07:42 PM
He told me where to buy chalk and let me use his the other day; I'm in love!
Haha, you know you're a weightlifter when chalk is used as an icebreaker.

Good luck with your training!

Yael Grauer
04-03-2007, 12:03 AM
tall split jerk behind the neck 3X4 (20, 20, 30)
split jerk behind the neck 5, 3, 3, 3, 3 (40, 45, 55, 65, 75)
clean 5, 3, 3, 3, 3 (45, 60, 65, 75, 75)
clean pull 5X5 (75, 85, 95, 105, 115)
standing press 5, 4, 4, 4 (45, 65, 55, 55)

db side raise 3X8 (10)
straight bar curl 3X8 (30)
overhead db extension 3X 12 (15, 20, 25)

did not get to my ab work, will have to do extra tomorrow

Yael Grauer
04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Well I slept for fifteen hours last night so I'm thinking I'm gonna take today off...

Yael Grauer
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
So I've taken almost a week off except for the chipper WOD we did in the park... Showed up for MMA that day too but nobody was there and James was sleeping. :rolleyes: I've been super stressed out having to work more even when I want to call in sick because my coworker was on vacation and now my boss is on vacation (meaning more work, etc.)

So I've been sleeping a lot and I haven't written down my food but for a while but it was super clean and boring. Eggs for breakfast, tons of miso soup and chicken broth and salad and little else. Got really sick of it, actually. I slipped up and had a bunch of Dr. Pepper last night. Need to get back on it...

Maybe I'll put my food and training in this log so it'll all be in one place.

Yael Grauer
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Overhead squat 3X5 30, 45, 65
snatch high pull 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 45, 55, 65, 65, 65
muscle snatch/snatch balance 4X3+3, 20, 30, 45, 45
snatch 5X3 20, 30, 40, 45, 45
back squat 5X5 65, 85, 105, 115, 130

Yael Grauer
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
So I've been trying to decide what my goals are and I thought I was trying to get my strength up before adding in more metcon. But I've been *really* wanting to add more in lately, so I hope this happens quickly. It does seem like I'm able to push myself a little harder each time I go in, but I've been terribly inconsistent...

I've decided to just go to the gym every other day for the next four weeks until school is out. And also if I need to break down my workouts in half (like I did yesterday) over two days it's okay. My coach told me that was okay, but the problem is that I didn't think it was okay. I'll do too much and then get sick and be out for a while.

SO my new goals over the month are as follows; hopefully I'll get them soon so that I can add in more metcon once I finish school on May 13th.

Front squat 115 X 5 (I'm at 90 X 5)
Overhead squat 90 X 5 (at 65 X 5)
Back squat 140 X 5 (at 130 X 5)

I'm pretty happy with my standing press numbers, so that's not on there.

For the lifts I want to get my snatch up to 95 X 3 and clean and jerk up to 125, but I'm not sure these are as important to get before adding metcon back in the mix, since it seems cleans transfer well from squats and snatches might take forever.

And for kicks: bench at 105, dead at 175, SDHP at something better than last time I tried (which was <75)...

I have to decide on gyms, too. It really depends on when I allow myself to add more metcon and what I end up doing. There's a boxing gym I've been wanting to join forever that would give me some metcon and improve my stand-up game and also they have weights, there's a gym with bumperplates (!!!) dumbbells and kettlebells, but not much else, this CF gym that may open but I don't know when or what hours, and the gym I go to now which has no bumper plates but has a pool, rowers and a bunch of other equipment.

AND I need to get my food together again. It seems like my best bet is to just alternate between eggs and smoothies for breakfast, make a big-ass salad for the week, and make a big-ass soup for the week. Then freeze extra soup for the next time I get sick or am too busy to cook.

Mike ODonnell
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Damn....lots of things to do....just tackle one a day....don't try and make too big a list....as those lists tend to never get done....do one...feel good.....do another the next......and so forth....before you know it you will have 365 things done in a year...while most people probably accomplished 5.....works for me

Steve Liberati
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Damn....lots of things to do....just tackle one a day....don't try and make too big a list....as those lists tend to never get done....do one...feel good.....do another the next......and so forth....before you know it you will have 365 things done in a year...while most people probably accomplished 5.....works for me

Thought the same thing when I read this thread.

This saying quickly sprung to mind:

How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time...

Mike ODonnell
04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
How do you eat an elephant?

Damnit....my answer was "What is a spork" Alex.......

Yael Grauer
04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I know, I'm trying to do too many things. It's driving me nuts...but so did taking a week off. I was going crazy. :confused:

Allen Yeh
04-13-2007, 04:55 AM
I think picking a gym first would help you sort out your goals a bit. Then you can go form there....with gym X I can really hit the olympic stuff hard ....that will be my next 8 week focus. Or something like that.

Yael Grauer
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Haha, I was gonna pick a gym based on what I decided my goals were. LOL. It's also a tough call because some of them have (gasp!) registration fees, and also I'm trying to move and switch jobs. :eek: :eek: :eek: Yeah, I'm gonna go insane first. lol

Yael Grauer
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Okay, finally managed to squeeze a half hour away from work and in the gym. I'm annoyed that I'm averaging one or two workouts a week instead of four (okay, so I only averaged 3X a week for five weeks), but I think it's physically impossible with my schedule to do more.

Only had time for the isolation exercises and core work I missed:
db incline press 8, 5, 5, 5, 25 lbs
db row 8, 5, 5, 5, 25 lbs, 30 lbs, 25 lbs, 30 lbs
prone db pullback 12, 8, 8, 8, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs, 20 lbs

lying leg raises, 4 X 15
prone plank 4 X 30 seconds

And that's it. And I really want to do cardio so I hope I get my numbers up magically soon. I only have 3.5 weeks of school left and things *should* slow down after that.

Food: I still need to sit and make a month's worth of soups and junk to freeze, I am eating a lot of carrot sticks with almond butter and chicken but not a whole lot else. Been on a caffeine kick lately to get everything done.

Yael Grauer
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
I went on a really long and beautiful hike, overestimating my physical prowess and underestimating the steepness of the hill, effect of elevation and time available to hike before the sun set. Somehow I am still alive and I didn't even break or sprain anything, even with all of my controlled falling. Sedona is beautiful. Tomorrow after my workshop I get to hike again (if I'm not sore) and then watch the UFC fights without having to go to a bar to pay money. Life is good.

Yael Grauer
04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I just talked to this guy who's dad was a firefighter and used to rescue people off of the rock I climbed yesterday once a week. He said getting stuck there is a very common problem. This makes me feel a lot better about getting through yesterday's hike.

Yael Grauer
04-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Maybe like 2 or 3 more miles of hiking. It was fun!

I am going to try to keep this every other day workout schedule for the next three weeks until classes end and I can do more. It's just easier to keep track of.

Yael Grauer
04-24-2007, 11:46 PM
tall split jerk behind the neck 3X4, 30 lbs
split jerk behind the neck, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3; 45, 55, 65, 75, 85
tall clean 3X5, 30
clean 5X3, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85(f), 75(f) at this point I switched to clean pulls because that's what I was doing anyway and then at the end I did my last three at 65#
clean pull 5X5, 75, 85, 95, 105, 115

I know my numbers never go up by much, but I'm amazed that they go up at all considering how damn inconsistent I'm being. (At the same time, not gonna give myself a hard time because I know how much I'm juggling in my life right now.)

Food: I'm cooking recipes from a memoir I read called the Language of Baklava. Not all of them are paleo, but they're close enough.

Yael Grauer
05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I've been working 50+ hour weeks and school, took some time off because I knew working out too much would push me over the edge. :eek: My workouts aren't worth listing. Diet has been awesome, however. More soon...

chris hill
05-04-2007, 02:46 AM
I've been working 50+ hour weeks and school, took some time off because I knew working out too much would push me over the edge. :eek: My workouts aren't worth listing. Diet has been awesome, however. More soon...

it sounds like you've been able to identify problems and priorities and adjust accordingly. i think thats important and missed by most of us who try to blindly carry on regardless.

Yael Grauer
05-06-2007, 12:01 AM
it sounds like you've been able to identify problems and priorities and adjust accordingly. i think thats important and missed by most of us who try to blindly carry on regardless.

Thanks!! I've actually been sleeping tons, I think 9 or 10 hours for the past few nights... I'm assuming I need it for some reason, so I'm not setting my alarm unless I have to...but find myself having a lot of "I hope I wake up in time to finish my homework before work" moments without even trying to cram four hour-plus workout sessions a week.:eek: I'm sure there's some positive way of looking at this I'm missing...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that...:rolleyes:

Yael Grauer
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Okay, so I'm now only three assignments and two days away from finishing all of my coursework for my teacher cert program, except for student teaching which I think I'll do in the winter. Excited about getting back in the gym more. :)

My big accomplishment this week was yesterday when I trained in the park.I learned how to roll!!! Front rolls, back rolls, side rolls...something I've had a lot of trouble with in the past and have had multiple people attempt to teach me. I think all of the work I've done in the past actually helped me get it this time around, and I had a really awesome teacher. He'd get right on the grass with me and do a lot of rolls to try to figure out what I was doing wrong and come up with new things for me to try. It was really great and reminded me of the posts on here and on the CF affiliate blog about what a good trainer is-- I guess what separates the good from the mediocre or the great from the good for me is attention to detail and people who are genuinely goodhearted and don't give me the snake oil salesmen vibe.

Anyway, enough theory... Back to the gym hopefully on Monday!! Maybe even Sunday if I finish my papers early!

Mike ODonnell
05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
don't give me the snake oil salesmen vibe.

Technically the original snake oil was from sea snakes who ate algea and were high in omega 3s....it was all the people later who came along and pretended to sell snake oil when it was really a fraud.....so don't knock the original snake oil....as that is the fish oil of today.....I always full of useless trivia like that after a night of hockey and beer. :D So how YOU doing.....

Yael Grauer
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Technically the original snake oil was from sea snakes who ate algea and were high in omega 3s....it was all the people later who came along and pretended to sell snake oil when it was really a fraud.....so don't knock the original snake oil....as that is the fish oil of today.....I always full of useless trivia like that after a night of hockey and beer. :D So how YOU doing.....

HA!! Go sprinkle some confetti!!!

So I'm now officially done with my coursework!! I still have to take a really easy AEPA test (I assume it's easy because I took the "hard one" first and got all kinds of high scores without studying), plus my 9-week student teaching and related coursework but other than that I'm golden! Time to get back in the gym, no excuses!!

Friday and today just a couple hours of martial arts. Never realized Japanese stick styles were so similar to Filipino in some ways. I'm just enjoying myself... What else... my bicycle is broken AGAIN I want a new one!!!

Saturday some random dancing after drinking only one Guinness. I've forgotten how to two-step, they say you never do, but um... it happens. I think I want to incorporate dancing into my routine (ha! like I have one anymore!) somehow...maybe on non-lift days or just once or twice a week or something. I really need to learn how to tango, and my friend promised to teach me hip hop dancing. I told him I'd take him up on it even though he's a white boy if he comes to MMA with me (he's scared of getting hurt...it's kind of sad, really). And someone else I know teaches salsa dancing... So many options, it's like choosing a martial art all over again. *sigh*

The gym is closed now and I already have a coffee meeting before work tomorrow so I'll start lifting more seriously again on Tuesday.

Yael Grauer
05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Okay, so now I have some time to breath, a whole fridge full of Paleo food and I am going to start going back to the gym again. I'm feeling the need to track all of my food again and I hate that I want to do this because it is so counterintuitive and stringent, but I'm just going to accept that this is where I'm at right now.

I'm kind of nervous about checking out my numbers back at the gym but they're only going to get worse if I don't go, so...

I'm thinking very seriously of joining the powerlifting gym. I just don't think I can find a gym that's as awesome anywhere else. The atmosphere is great, the people are great, the price is right and they even have MMA! (Not that I can make the MMA classes right now.) The only problem is it's not walking distance like my gym now is, and they have no pool.

Saturday:
1.5 hr MMA (takedown defense)

Breakfast: apple/carrot/raisins plus two eggs and some emergen-c
Lunch: tuna salad and some almonds
Dinner: way too much buffalo jerky, some blueberries and raisins, avocado and tomato slices

Breakdown: 1236 calories
36% fat
30% carbs
34% protein

Allen Yeh
05-21-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm feeling the need to track all of my food again and I hate that I want to do this because it is so counterintuitive and stringent, but I'm just going to accept that this is where I'm at right now.

Weird huh? I just can't completely not track my food, sure on the weekends when I'm with my family all the time I don't bother but when I'm at work I just feel like I have to!

Yael Grauer
05-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Weird huh? I just can't completely not track my food, sure on the weekends when I'm with my family all the time I don't bother but when I'm at work I just feel like I have to!

I'm hoping I'll be able to cut it out by the end of June. It just seems so counterintuitive and unnatural to me... but I also want to be really honest with myself and find out how bad my chocolate habit really is.

Breakfast: 2 eggs and butter, 1/2 canteloupe
Lunch and dinner: buttered halibut
snacks: 2 tangerines and an apple, Newman's chocolate peanut butter cups
also some chamomile/peppermint tea

breakdown: 1173 calories
41% fat
39% carbs
21% protein

Did two hours of taijutsu. Still sore from that and from all that sprawling, trying to ease back into the gym. Took today off.

Allen Yeh
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm hoping I'll be able to cut it out by the end of June. It just seems so counterintuitive and unnatural to me... but I also want to be really honest with myself and find out how bad my chocolate habit really is.

Just think...cockroaches! MMM!

Yael Grauer
05-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Just think...cockroaches! MMM!

LOL! I forgot!!!!

Yael Grauer
05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Yesterday I was all worried about the Hershey bar I ate (the snack machine guy gave me two and I only ate one and gave one away so at least I am improving) when really the problem was that I didn't eat nearly enough. Note to self: strawberries are not lunch.

Breakfast: pork chops
Lunch: Hershey bar, strawberries
Dinner: turkey, which didn't come out very well... and an apple

Calories: only 863 (eek!!!)
Breakdown 42% fat, 28% carbs, 30% protein

Today ain't over so I can't write what all I ate yet, but somehow I managed to lift weights for the first time in close to a month and beat some PR's... Weird. I was so nervous about my #s...

Snatch high pull and muscle snatch 5 X 5 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 (pr)
Snatch 5 X 5 20, 30, 40, 45, 50 (pr)
snatch push press 5 X 5 30 (pr!), 40, 45, 45, 45
front squat 45, 65, 85, 95, 105 (only got 2, then finished the rest at 85, 5 X 100 is my previous PR)

I'm thinking splitting my workouts in half like I was doing when I was crazy busy might be a good idea. Classes are over but I'm still working two jobs (less than 50 hrs/week now though) and have some other things going on.

I really want to get my strength numbers up just a wee bit more so I can add in some metcon but if I don't get them where I want them in say a month I may just add it in anyway.

Also spent a long time foam rolling yesterday and it felt sooooo good. Not sure what my shoulders are tight from but they're a little tight.

The coolest thing today is that somehow I ended up with a pink rose in my gym bag. I have no idea how it got there. I think it was at the cafe I went to for my pwo salad... I think I would've noticed it on the way to the cafe from the gym!! Anyway, I love shit like that and it totally made my day.

Allen Yeh
05-23-2007, 02:42 AM
The coolest thing today is that somehow I ended up with a pink rose in my gym bag. I have no idea how it got there. I think it was at the cafe I went to for my pwo salad... I think I would've noticed it on the way to the cafe from the gym!! Anyway, I love shit like that and it totally made my day.

Oooooo someone likes Yael! :p

Yael Grauer
05-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Oooooo someone likes Yael! :p

I can't figure out who it was! I was standing in line at the cafe and I remember at one point turning around and asking the guy behind me if I was in his way because something felt off...I wonder if it was him!

Yael Grauer
05-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I lost track of my food log because I ate some snacky food at a meeting yesterday and then went out to eat, some kind of beefy thing with cabbage and potatoes. I'm noticing that I skip a lot more meals and eat a lot less than I want to... Bleh.

Also hitting new PR's after my extended time from the gym was a bad idea. Thank God for my foam roller.

Yael Grauer
05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I decided the problem was that I am setting unrealistic expectations for myself. So I'm trying to figure out what is realistic.

Yael Grauer
05-29-2007, 06:39 PM
So I'm thinking of doing Crossfit again, buttercup style, for a few days a week at least. Combine that with my Olylifting stuff whenever I feel like it. It's summer and I want more cardio. I figure it won't be too hard to come up with creative ways to combine the two. For example, I want to do 5 100m runs tonight and then tomorrow (or it may be Thursday) I could do all of the db work I've been putting off and add some of the 500m rows in there but skip the wall ball.

I thought my goal was to get my #s up even more but I am really wanting to add cardio in there sooner rather than later. Hopefully I can find a way to do it that won't burn too much muscle. Suggestions welcome.

I'm moving pretty slowly in increasing #s (partially because I'm not as consistent as I want to be) and it's summer and I'd like to lose some of my stomach flab (even though my friends, exboyfriend, etc. swear up and down that it's all muscle...I hate it.) I dunno. I really annoyed the hell out of one of the guys I train with when he asked me what my goals were (# wise) and I told him I don't care about my squat numbers anymore and really I just want to look like a stripper. He said he was very disappointed because he thought I was a serious athlete. I guess I go through different phases of goals/seriousness/etc, though I'm far too inconsistent to be considered an athlete imo. I'm more serious about, like, my schoolwork and volunteer work.

I've been noticing a pattern of following a stringent diet for about a week and then break down and eat, like, nothing but soup and fruit and shots of Patron for the next week. And I don't eat enough if I'm trying too hard to eat well. Hmmm... I'm trying to find a happy medium (both for exercise and diet, and other parts of my life, like my really strict budget that I'll follow stringently and then accidentally spend $100 on books) so that I can be consistent, but it's hard... I don't want to write anything down on paper and pretend I'm going to commit to it unless it's really perfect.

Yael Grauer
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
80 ft sprints :15, :17, :17, :15, :18, :15
clean and jerk (above the knee), 1X 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75 (f), 75 (f), 65

Considering my PR was 3 X 75 and I haven't been doing cleans in forever, this isn't that bad. Considering that my goal is 1 X 125, it is pretty bad. I know there are probably tons of articles I've read about it but I forget what is a realistic % to improve each week or what not. I would really love to have been cleaning at least 2/3 bw maybe like two months ago.

Jason Lopez-Ota
05-30-2007, 03:25 AM
You want to look like a stripper??? Hahahaha, if your squat numbers go up so will the size of your ghetto booty.

Yael Grauer
05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
You want to look like a stripper??? Hahahaha, if your squat numbers go up so will the size of your ghetto booty.

Oh, I like the booty, and I'll keep the legs too... So I guess I don't technically want to look like a stripper (as my ex who's dated strippers keeps telling me), but I just want a really really flat stomach.

Jason Lopez-Ota
05-31-2007, 12:41 AM
Squats help with a lot, don't neglect them. Metcon would help you w/ your goal of a flat stomach.

Allen Yeh
05-31-2007, 04:31 AM
I'll throw this in here:

I suggest following this program for the next month or so to get that stomach the way you want and so you can take a break with thinking about doing all your own programming for a month or so. Sometimes it's nice just to do a program you get and see where that takes you. The changing rep scheme in the workout will help to preserve lean body mass that you have right now.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1589833

My comments on the article:
Workout A exercise 3 - Make sure you do your jump squats better than what is demonstrated in the video, yikes!
Workout A exercise 4: I'd say Tabata whatever the heck you're in the mood for, i.e. sprints, rowing, swimming...etc just follow the protocol they recommended, tabata intervals, 5 minutes easy, tabata intervals
Workout B, exercise 2C: That video is not what I think a jumping squat to a pullup would be, would you be able to do 15 jumping pullups? If this exercise is giving you troubles I'd either just do a regular jumping pullup with a leg raise or just do the squat jump to the bar with a leg raise.
Workout B-Exercise 4- Err...that is some pretty bad KB swing form I don't care if you go by GS style or Hardstyle that video looked more like a deadlift/front raise than a swing.

hope this helps!

Yael Grauer
05-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks Allen!! I looked at that but the problem is I can't do RDL's and one of the other exercises because of my back stuff... or so a chiropractor said. He was an idiot, though, so I guess I should get a second opinion. Same with the bent over rows or any exercise where my feet are elevated. And I try not to do jumping pullups since I keep hurting myself... I need to find another way to build up my arm strength. Actually I'm thinking (I know I'll get voted off the island for this) of just doing pulldowns until I can do bodyweight.

I didn't write the program I'm on now, though, which includes
Day 1: OS, snatch high pull, muscle snatch and snatch balance, snatch, back squat, db incline press, db row, db pullback, lying leg raise, prone planks
Day 2: tall split jerk behind neck, split jerk behind neck, tall clean, clean, clean pull, front db lunges, db side raise, reverse curls, bench dips, crunches, decline knees to chest
day 3: snatch high pull and muscle snatch, snatch AK, snatch push press, front squat, db incline press, wide grip pulldown, prone db pullbacks, decline situps, prone planks
day 4: tall split jerk behind the neck, split jerk behind the neck, clean, clean pull, standing press, db side raise, straight bar curl, overhead db extension, crunches, decline knees to chest.

The problem with this program is that it assumes I have two hours four days a week. When I split it up and do the DB/core work separate, it still takes over an hour two days a week and less than that on the other days. I think even one hour four days a week is pushing it right now because of the amount of time I spend doing martial arts, which is anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a week. Though some of my MA now is not really exercise. It depends...

I guess that's what I love about Crossfit (amongst other things). I can do it in a half hour or less before work or on my lunch break and it still kicks my ass, plus the variety keeps me engaged.

Hmmm....

Thoughts?

Also I'm trying to figure out what my food problem is. It's so weird. I just finished cooking a side dish for 35 people in a transitional home as part of my volunteer work, and tomorrow I'm going to cook the salad and fruit salad with a friend (another friend is making chicken)... so basically I can manage to cook food in two days for 35 people (with some help) and yet I can't have three nutritious meals a day ready for myself. I don't know what that's all about...

Mike ODonnell
05-31-2007, 11:48 PM
but I just want a really really flat stomach.

Someone says strippers and I come a running.....

So many ways to skin a cat...but depends on your activity level and lifestyle...when in doubt, look at the diet....it's where you need to change things up and get 90% of your results from...you could look at figure models who go on low carb 3 days and then up the carbs some....but they are not doing metabolic workouts too....more than one way, but it takes awareness of what you are doing and what modifications need to be made.....anything is possible with the right program....

Yael Grauer
06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
I finally got MOD's attention!! LOL. ;)

I don't know if I agree. I got to chat with a bunch of strippers when I was working at a club one night (promoting drink specials, mind you) and I asked them about their diet and it ain't cyclic low carb. Unless they were lying it's very little food, a lot of drugs (except one lady), and physical activity is mostly "cardio" with a little bit of weights, but we're talking ten-lb lunges and tripe like that.

Also my friend who I fix bikes with was living with a model for a long time and same thing... He lived with her forever and watched what she ate and it was mostly ramen. No joke. She did a lot of jogging and mountain biking along with push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Copious amounts of drugs, lots of cigarettes too and a bit of plastic surgery.

Steve Shafley
06-01-2007, 05:45 AM
"Stripper" always brings me runnin'!

I have met a few different girls who were exotic dancers. And, incidentally, since I had access to a private key gym, I also ended up training them/training with them. This was in the early 90s.

One girl was extremely hardcore about training and diet and she really influenced the others. She was a borderline bodybuilder and did gymnastics and dance from the ages of 4-12 or something, and was just getting into the fitness competitions starting at the time and was in nothing short than stunning shape, softened a bit by lifestyle choices.

Her routine, and I've actually seen something similar on the 'net, revolved around high repetition, fairly high intensity leg work with some kind of upper body stuff coupled onto it.

IIRC, it was like this:

Day 1:

Squats: 4 sets of 20 reps
SLDLs: 4 sets of 20 reps
-these were supersetted, and done with impressive poundages

Chins: 4 sets of max reps (she could do 10-12)
Shoulder presses with dbs: 4 sets of 15
-supersetted

Ab work

Day 2:

Lunges: 4x20
Leg curls: 4x20

DB rows: 4x15
Incline db presses: 4x15

Ab work

She didn't do cardio, she said the dancing took care of that. She ate meticulously during the day, but would tend to knock back a few drinks every night and also was a bit into cocaine and marijuana. She told me once that she'd get too lean for her regulars if she didn't drink, and that when she'd prep for a show, she'd stop drinking and drugging.

She was also completely and utterly crazy. Like "boil the rabbit" crazy.

Mike ODonnell
06-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Never seen a fat cocaine user......and all the super model smoke to keep thin....Damn....I've been going at this all wrong....now to go load up on Ramen.

Oh...strippers crazy?? No way....not the ones I "knew" *cough*....they were just psycho...not crazy....something about someone knocking on your window at 5am is just not normal.....

Josh Whiting
06-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I think you need to be careful what you wish for, unfortunately I've seen strippers in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Some good, some not so good.

Gentlemen never go to a bar called "The Hobbit Shop".

Mike ODonnell
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Gentlemen never go to a bar called "The Hobbit Shop".

There should of been a disclaimer to your post....Warning: Do Not Be Sipping Hot Coffee when you read this.......

Yael's Log is about to turn into a thread about the worst named strip clubs and the painful memories from them....

Yael Grauer
06-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Josh (and everyone), I agree. I advocate a far healthier lifestyle (drug and disease free, not talking to creeps much less dancing for them, etc.), prefer a bit more modesty/class in how I carry myself, etc. so no I don't really want to look like a stripper. I just want a stripper stomach. And you know what? I bet many other women do too whether they admit it or not. It's not my primary goal, but it is one of my goals for right now. At least I'm honest about it.

I have only been inside two strip clubs. The first was to see Chuck vs. Tito fight after getting turned away from like three bars that were full. It was okay except they made me buy two drinks and I wasn't drinking so I spent like twenty bucks on soda I didn't want. I think I actually only bought one drink and accidentally broke the glass, so maybe I made my money back, minus the cover. Except that the ATM fee was like seven fifty. I'm exaggerating, but not by much. Anyway I was pissed because they turned down the sound and played bad dance music and because the strippers got in the way of the good screen. There was also a creepy guy sitting next to me (imagine that!) who was trying to convince me that I should go out with him if Tito wins. I knew Tito was going to lose but didn't take the bet on the off off chance that he would've won. The second club I went to was for work. I was with another girl and we were promoting some special or other. Oh, I guess we were there for two nights, one hour one night and two hours the other night. The DJ tried to get me to go on stage to give away the extra t-shirts we had but I declined. Our dress code is heels and a black skirt and I learned that I do heels and a black skirt very very differently from the other gal I was working with. I was wearing heels and a black dress that was cut right above my knees (I've worn it to my office job, sans fishnets), she was wearing a tanktop, a black mini miniskirt, leather high heel boots and took her wedding ring off. Her husband wasn't happy about her being there. Needless to say I think she sold more drinks and got more phone numbers, though we were both noticeably uncomfortable and spent the majority of our shift talking to dancers... And mostly what we talked about was a de facto career counseling session for them, because they all wanted out of their jobs. I like doing promo work but I really prefer sampling wine and beer in grocery stores (which is what I primarily do) to giving free shit to drunk guys at strip clubs. I was also really hoping I wouldn't run into anybody I know. What stuns me is that so many guys always moan about women being teases but will spend hundreds of dollars for women to tease them. I don't understand.

Now that I've given my requisite strip club stories, it would be nice if everyone who's popped out of the woodwork to post in my journal would help me find a way to tweak the routine Allen posted to accomodate for my back issues and lack of pullup prowess. I like the idea of only three days a week. It is definitely do-able, especially if one of the three days had a workout that was less than an hour long. I can do Fridays and Sundays (I have F-Su off of my fulltime job) and then one of my workweek days.

Yael Grauer
06-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Okay, last chance. Somebody help me tweak the T-Nation article Allen posted PLEASE.

Exercises I can't do right now (or at least my chiro said not to and I'd rather not for now)

1. DB romanian deadlift to split snatch--can I just do a regular dead to split snatch? or better yet, why not just do deads and snatches instead?

2. bentover row-back extension hybrid
for back work I can add side planks and bird dogs. (by the way, i'm also gonna sub curlups for the situps)

3. db rows--how about prone db rows to save my back?

4. good morning/reverse lunge.
uh, no. i can do the lunges...

5. squat jump to chin with knee tuck.. maybe if I could do the chins... why not just do heavy squats?

Daniel Myers
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I'll give it a shot. I don't know exactly what you can and can't do, so if I suggest something that's not right, please correct me.

1. If you can do regular DLs, I'd try a complex like this: deadlift + power snatch + overhead squat. Use a barbell or dumbbells, whatever. It's a similar complex that hits the body in a similar way. If you can do straight-leg deadlifts, that would also be a fine choice for the first lift.

2. I don't understand the point of this exercise to begin with. It just looks kind of silly on the T-Nation video. To replace it with another back-type exercise, you could do power cleans. If you want, you could add a small dip of the knees (like the start of a jerk), or even a front squat, but the cleans by themselves are harder than the row/extension hybrid.

3. Yeah, just do any kind of row you can manage.

4. Just do any move followed by a lunge. The lunges are the meat of this exercise, so something like a press+lunge should still be plenty hard. If you want to take it to the limit, you could try a squat+lunge or clean+lunge.

5. You could sub lat pulldowns for the chins -- I promise not to tell anybody -- or another upper body move, like dips. I lean towards dips, because you can still do the knee tuck move after each one. I wouldn't suggest heavy squats, since that would take away from the metabolic focus of the complexes, but you could try higher rep sets with a lighter weight. Those always make me want to throw up.

If you sub exercises you may need to manipulate the rep schemes. I think one of the days has you do 3x15 -- I wouldn't try that with power cleans. Or if you do the press+lunge combo, you may want to do 2 presses for each lunge. You'll have to experiment a little bit to find the right workload.

These fat loss workouts are all about moving fast through a bunch of different lifts and busting your butt. So just keep the "spirit" of each complex, but replace it with something that suits you better.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

Yael Grauer
06-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Awesome!! Thanks!! Yeah, I'm not supposed to do SLDLs or RDLs for some reason. But regular DLs, squats and the O-lifts are fine.

Okay, I like all the exercise subs but not looking forward trying to figure out how many reps to do.

I'll try it though.

Eva Claire Synkowski
06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
yael -

have you given IF a try? i know youre well aware of it..... so have you tried it? i didnt see you mention it, but havent read your whole training log. ive found its a good combinaton of getting results without being too obsessive.

ive just finished 8 weeks of IF. i started with roving 15 hr overnight fasts ~5 days/wk (ie, just break the fast 15 hours after my last PM meal). i admit, tracking the 15 hours gets a little obsessive, so ive shifted towards eating between 12-8. but find whatever 8-9 hr feeding window generally works for your schedule.

anyway - long lead in to say what everyone else has said about IF. pretty awesome. i started it as an experiment, without any real goal - but pleasantly surrpised any extra weight from the stomach - which seems to be your main goal! - drops off pretty quickly. and after the third or fourth day - holding the fast is easy.

and on a training note. ive dropped to ~2 xf wods a week, in favor of adding in more strength days. you def can maintain a pretty good gpp base - even with relatively short xf metcon wods a couple times a week (20 min MAX). may not be as strong metcon-wise when i was doing 4-6 xf days/wk - but not significantly worse - and can work on other goals.

Yael Grauer
06-02-2007, 03:56 PM
hi Eva,
I haven't tried IF because I think Robb told me I was too stressed out. I was thinking of doing a variation of the Warrior Diet again. We'll see...

Another problem with IF is that I work four ten-hour shifts, which in reality means I am not at my house for about 11.5 to 12 hours four days a week.

I'm thinking tweaking rep schemes will be such a pain in the ass and one month isn't enough for trial and error so I may just do one of the Ross Enamait 40 or 50 day workouts for a while.

I'm trying to work on FOCUSING more in my life in general right now, which means I really need to look at all of the things I'm trying to do and only pick a few. Hopefully this'll clear up time and allow me to kick more ass in the things I do choose, instead of just being mediocre (or worse) at everything.

Mike ODonnell
06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm trying to work on FOCUSING more in my life in general right now, which means I really need to look at all of the things I'm trying to do and only pick a few. Hopefully this'll clear up time and allow me to kick more ass in the things I do choose, instead of just being mediocre (or worse) at everything.

Tackle one thing specific a week.....make it simple....and accomplish what you need too.....most people make a huge list and never get to anything....the key is just taking one thing at a time and doing it.....after a year you did 52 things....which is more than some people do in 10 years.....keep it simple, prioritize and just do it...no excuses....:D

Yael Grauer
06-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I looked at my list and it wasn't really that humongous. Most of the items on it aren't big hobbies, just things I hope to keep track of and stay on top of in a normal week. So aside from school and my jobs, and writing, the big things are martial arts and working out. The problem is that I'm mediocre at so many martial arts and haven't really gotten proficient at any of them. So ideally I would pick just one. Then this gets all confusing too because in order to get really good I'd need to find someone to train with regularly, and it seems to be easier to find people to train with in arts that aren't my favorite most ideal ones. And then with workout stuff I have a hard time picking a focus as well; I want the best of all worlds. So this is something to think about and meditate on this week. Oh and the third thing is just herbalism etc. and picking a specific modality instead of constantly studying different ones. I just have a hard time with the whole focusing thing because I keep thinking how am I gonna know which thing I want to do the most unless I try everything to see if I like it. Then I end up doing too many things and never really committing or excelling at any of them.

Anyways, I'm excited about switching to the Enamait stuff. I think it will meet my fat loss slash met con goals without sacrificing on strength. I will start tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
06-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Yael,

Sorry I didn't get to comment in time, I'd be curious to see how the Ross stuff works out.

Yael Grauer
06-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Well I was going to start today but I am so incredibly sore from practicing front and back rolls in the park yesterday that doing the Magic 50 is probably a bad idea.

Yael Grauer
06-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I did the Magic 50 (http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/themagic50.html). I only used a 15# dumbbell (but it's one-handed, so...) and just did regular burpees, no pushups. 2:02, 2:25, 1:56, 1:56, 2:07, plus 5:00 in rest time for a total of 15:26 (including the minute rest at the end.) Not too shabby considering I haven't done any real metcon in ages. My db snatch form wasn't the greatest and I did below the knee snatches instead of ground because I've been doing so much above the knee work. My burpees were sweet; big explosive jumps, little rest time between reps.

After I was done I was talking to one of the guys in my gym, and he was asking me very normal questions but I was having trouble focusing on them and having difficulty answering. I think the dumbest thing I said was when he asked a specific question about kettlebell versus dumbbell swings, and I told him that I wouldn't know because you need to take special classes to learn how to swing a kettlebell. :D Trying to answer questions after a tough workout reminds me of trying to act sober when drunk, and possibly explains why I've somehow developed the ability to do that without drinking very often. "You don't seem drunk at all" when I'm pretty much wasted. Hopefully there is some crossover. Next episode: training martial arts drunk. Okay, not really.

Got a referral for this really great S&C coach who is also a great manual therapist (LMT, Graston, etc) who I want to meet with this month. I am totally confused between what my (former) chiropractor said I could and couldn't do and what my Olylifting coach told me to do and it'll be great to talk to someone knowledgeable in both. And since I want to take a couple months off of strict Olylifting, I'll be able to do at least a few sessions.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say the finisher was three farmer's walks. I forgot to do this at the gym so I did it at home but I only have 20# of plates for my db's and my 20# medicine ball (or however much it weights when you fill a basketball with sand and duct tape it). So I used one in each hand and switched hands because the mball one would get tired quicker. Anyway, I didn't go very far.

It's nice to have fairly quick workouts all planned out for me already. I hope I'll have the discipline to stick to this for 50 days. They say that skill-related training can be included quite a bit and I'm hoping to work on some of the Parkour warmup exercises and maybe a bit of MA if I feel like it... we'll see. Of course the MM stuff.

John Alston
06-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Next episode: training martial arts drunk. Okay, not really.

When I was boxing there was an older, smaller, guy with a few pro fights under his belt who used to come down to the gym occasionally, train irregularly, and beat the tar out of us while his breath reeked of beer.

Yael Grauer
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
When I was boxing there was an older, smaller, guy with a few pro fights under his belt who used to come down to the gym occasionally, train irregularly, and beat the tar out of us while his breath reeked of beer.

I mean since I do occassionally get drunk, it would be good to train drunk IMO. The studies on state-dependent learning say that anything you learn in a drunken state or overly caffeinated state or whatnot can only be retrieved from one's memory in a similar state. Don't know if I buy it but it's something to look into.

I've done drills with kb swings in between since exhaustion is supposed to mimic adrenal stress response... I've done knife drills with wet hands and I read an idea--training with oven mitts... Setting up intricate obstacle courses... a friend of mine who works security recently got in a fight on an escalator!! Just some ideas.

Yael Grauer
06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I did two 800m runs. Was supposed to do 4 of these and other runs but will have to do them on my rest day I guess or in two days. I got all caught up trying to get my phone back--it was on stopwatch and was stolen by some punk ass kid. (I know it's a kid because I talked to him when I called the number.)

Why somebody would steal an ugly fifteen dollar Kyocera Oystr phone is beyond me, but whatever.

Yael Grauer
06-08-2007, 01:02 AM
core workout. Was supposed to do flags but it's hard without a bench so I subbed v-ups. 5 reps 5 v-ups, 12 sidebends (6 per side, 20#), 15 supermen, 16 med ball twists (8 per side--these were supposed to be twist throws but my med ball is homemade and I don't want it leaking sand), then a plank hold. The way I did these wasn't very circuit-y (like I think I did half the sidebends all in a row, etc.) but it was still a good core workout so I'm okay with that. I'm annoyed that I'm already behind on running but I should have plenty of time to make it up.

Josh Whiting
06-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I used to train with a guy who was always banging on about training drunk as "I always get into fights when I'm drunk". I ignored him at the time as he was someone had a great many pet theories - maybe he was onto something.

FWIW I roughly followed that 50 day program and great results from it with the added benefit of having everything laid out for me.

Yael Grauer
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I mean you'd have to really be careful to make sure you didn't get hurt or hurt anyone, and you'd want to be able to fight really well in the dark with the sprinklers on, etc. and have a sober training partner who is like, amazing or something... Maybe start with a light buzz and then work your way up to drunken stupor weeks later. LOL. I dunno, I have one friend who did it growing up but he's insane. He started by learning how to play chess drunk.

I like the whole "program all laid out with lots of thought put into it" thing too. I like that the workouts are do-able during my lunch break at work the best. But I have to buy a sledgehammer today.

Yael Grauer
06-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Uh, I meant in the dark and soaking wet as a stepping stone to drunken training, not at the same time. Still, imagine the possibilities.

I did 20# 1-arm dumbbell clean and presses (12 per arm...accidentally did 3X4 instead of 4X3), 1 arm snatches 4X4 (also 20#), then tried and failed to do one-legged squats (too hard, even with a doorway) and did my sort of glute ham raises (4X5), then 4 sets of 5 pullups 15 pushups...went to a gym with a Grav, I sadly needed 40# assist even though I'd worked my way down to 10 or 20 once upon a time, pre-injury, and I guess I've been pretty gingerly about my pullup work since then. I can't even do monkey bars like I used to. After that the finisher was supposed to be 100 sledgehammer thingies. Even though I acquired a tire and bought a 10# sledgehammer, I obviously didn't have it with me at the gym so I did 800m runs on the elliptical at some ridiculous slow speed (6:48, 6:03). It was a good finisher and means I'm all caught up on my running except 4 X 50m runs (which is too short to do on an elliptical imo... I love sprinting.) It's way too late to do my sledgehammer swings now so I'm behind on that as well, but I'll catch up.

I wish that instead of attempting GHR and one-legged squats I would've just done tabata air squats and lunges, or something. I guess that's part of what's good about this program though is figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I skipped MA because my arm/left elbow is still messed up from last week. Note to self: a good goal would be to learn how to say "yes, you're going way too hard." It's one thing to get hit hard so you can adjust what you're doing say in boxing or something (i.e. if I get hit too hard I get better at slipping, etc.) but I mean it's not like you can even defend yourself when you're practicing releases on each other...

Yael Grauer
06-09-2007, 06:17 PM
100 sledgehammer swings (50 each hand)

GPP workout: 5 rounds, no rest, 30 sec. each of burpees, jumping jacks, high knee db press (five lbs as rx'ed), shadowboxing... 10 intense minutes!

core work: it said 3-5 rounds I just did 3 of v-ups X 15 and chinnies to burn... I skipped the back xt's, russian twists and standing wheel rollouts. I can't do the rollouts, and I want to make sure it's okay to do R. twists and back xt's with my back thing... I had to do a lot of foam rolling after I did a forbidden exercise the other day.

running: 4 X 50 meters

this was a lot for one day, looking forward to my rest day tomorrow in which I'll do some MM work, more foam rolling and maybe even some yoga.

Yael Grauer
06-12-2007, 01:03 AM
sunday was a rest day

i wanted to take an extra rest day today too but i didn't

Today was Work Capacity 101 (http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/workcapacity101.html) followed by one round of sandbag carry.

I adapted it by doing two different workouts. First I went to the gym and did 10 sets 5 reps of pulldowns, tricep pulldowns, standing, sitting, varied grip, etc. Mostly at 70 lbs, followed by farmer's walk with db's since I didn't have a sandbag handy. I actually did 3 sets of that.

Then I did work capacity 101 minus the pullups, but I just did five rounds instead of 10 and my timing was a bit different. I did 10 mb slams (20# ball), 15 burpees (no pushup) and 20 jumping jacks in 90 seconds with a 30 second rest, for five rounds/ten minutes. It's a bit more scaled down than I'd like but considering I didn't want to do anything I'm okay with it. Nice to get some endorphins kicking. One of my friends is going to jail and I'm having a hard time with it (and this on top of like five other crises going on at the moment) but at least I know I'll always have a workout that will kick my ass. And that gives me hope. Sort of. :eek:

Yael Grauer
06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Today was run day, I was supposed to do 6 X 400m and 5 X 50m but ended up just doing 3 X 400m. Last week I managed to make up my extra run time from day 2 on day 4, so hopefully I can do that this time and won't have to run on my rest day. Realistically, I don't think I can do more than say 4 X 400 during my lunch break and actually be running instead of jog/walking.

Also I decided I'd do my core work this evening. I think I do better when I split up running and core work. So it's supposed to be 3-5 rounds of Turkish getups (X5), deadlift twist (X6) and v-ups (X15) but I need to find a sub for the DL twist. Twists don't work well for me and make my back hurt the next day. Then I get all sad and have to take homeopathic arnica/rhus/ruta. So if anyone has any deadlift twist subs for me that aren't twisty and can let me know what they are within the next say six hours please do.

Yael Grauer
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Took an extra rest day yesterday for TMI reasons.

Today I saw this really kick ass S+C coach who is also a manual therapist. He measured me and did this really thorough assessment and confirmed I was a little bit lordotic, not kyphotic (just like I told my smarty-pants chiropractor!! ha, take that!) and tried to explain what was up with me using the Trail Guide to the Body. He threw out a lot of terms like "pirformis syndrome" and "lower crossed syndrome" and "upper crossed syndrome" and "bilaterally overfacilitated" and "overactive lateral external rotators" and spent some time talking to me about my ql and psoas and illiacus and erector spinae and things. I think basically he is just saying that my hip flexors and lower back are overfacilitated and that my abs, hams and glutes are inhibited. I already knew that but not how to fix it. Anyway I even asked him if that's what makes me look like I'm pregnant even though my stomach ain't that big and he said yes, it was a postural thing...so like when you stick your stomach out it doesn't mean you have a huge stomach. So that is yet another motivation for fixing things up--if being able to use my entire body and have muscles firing off correctly and having posture that is more straight and true and getting all my #s up isn't a big enough incentive.

The cool part was that he gave me some great exercises to do on my own. It is amazing to me that I can back squat my body weight five times and yet these, like, 5-way leg raises were kicking my ass. Anyway he told me to get a red myotherapy ball from Power Systems (much better than a foam roller for getting those nooks and crannies) and some black bands from Perform Better and gave me a ton of exercises to do. The exercises are really hard but will undoubtedly bridge the gap for me between the exercises my chiropractor told me to do to strength my hams, glutes and core (which are largely ineffective) and the exercises my Olylifting coach wanted me to do to strengthen my hams, glutes and core (which lay me up in bed the next day). Finally some effective and difficult exercises that won't make things worse! Also he said once I get this all cleaned up I can move on to all the "forbidden" exercises, which is exciting.

It's really hard to find good people that are straight with you and want you to get better and won't rip you off or try to get you dependent on them... It is like a breath of fresh air, kind of like when I found my auto mechanic (who is amazing).

I'm really excited about getting this cleaned up so I can lift more!! I can't wait to see how much I can squat/O-lift once the proper muscles are firing off... might have to set new goals!

Oh yeah, I should work out today too. Haha, later. :)

Ron Nelson
06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I was just passing by and thought I'd drop my words of wisdom (useful to all; heeded by few).

1. I think this trainer was referring to your pelvic tilt. When we tend to be quad dominant/weak in the core, the pelvis has a posterior tilt. Probably what was causing the "preggo belly." It's easily corrected with a few movements to get the glutes firing like prone bridges and the like. I think you will see a big difference in performance once you get the butt in gear. I did.

2. Save the money on the phisioball and just use a tennis ball for soft tissue rolling. I use one on my IT band and to get to the subscapular areas. It hurts so good.

3. Ditto on the people who shoot straight. My ART guy released me from treatment and did not try to hook me into a bunch of "adjustments" once I was feeling better post accident. If I ever have the problems again, I'm going back to him because I know he's honest.

Good luck with the glutes and check out "Magnificent Mobility" if you can get your hands on a copy. It's what has helped me in hip department.

Edit: Just saw above that you do MM work. Do more and work on that pelvic tilt. Think posterior.

Yael Grauer
06-15-2007, 03:09 PM
hi Ron

1. Yes I do have some anterior pelvic tilt but if you look into lower crossed syndrome you will see that this is due to all the things I mentioned: overfacilitated hip flexors and lower back, inhibited abs, hams and glutes. I already do prone bridges and the like on a regular basis--as in, every single day and sometimes more than once a day. He gave me some other exercises that are a lot harder to do and will hopefully help more. I'll get back to you.

2. I've already used both a tennis ball and a foam roller, but the physio ball was reaching areas better for some reason. it was a lot easier to balance on and relax into than the tennis ball esp., when I'm doing figure four glute/performis stretches on it. Foam rollers are easier for me to use than tennis balls, but they only go in one direction. I really liked the ball and felt a ton better when I was done comparing it to the other side. I'm pretty broke most of the time and wouldn't run out and buy the thing if I hadn't already tried it out and seen what it could do. But it was only ten bucks, so...

3. I already do MM work every day (sometimes several times a day) and while it's immensely helpful, I think I need some additional work (as evidenced by how much trouble I had with it this morning). Actually the dude I went to see was referred to me by Eric Cressey himself. I think he even did work on EC once.

4. The exercises I'm doing are set up to help me specifically with all the things you're mentioning. Sometimes getting an assessment from someone who can actually see you is more useful than trying to do things more or do them yourself or get internet assessments--the right exercises for the right individual and the right condition, having someone who can see if you're improving, etc. Also someone to see if you're doing the exercises right--some of hte ones I was doing on my own were exacerbating the problem and it was a subtle difference from correct to incorrect that I wouldn't have noticed myself.

5. I wouldn't be paying someone my hard-earned money if I thought I could just do what I was already doing more often. Like I said there was a disparity between the recovery exercises I was given by chiropractors, my own research, etc. that were pretty much ineffective for what I wanted to do and the ones my Olylifting coach told me to do which I can't really do without pain the next day. But then I'm like, how am I supposed to strengthen my glutes and core if the exercises are too ineffective or I can't do them? Seeing someone who's well-versed in s+c as well as manual therapy seems like it'll help bridge the gap.

6. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Yael Grauer
06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
A couple hours of martial arts.

Ron Nelson
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Keep me posted; this is up my alley. I'll share my EC experience sometime.

Yael Grauer
06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Keep me posted; this is up my alley. I'll share my EC experience sometime.

Will do! The exercises I got include 90-90s, a back/hip ex, one where i just push my knees out (with the band) and lift up (really hard to keep the knees out when lifting up for me), wall clams and the 5 way leg raise. Mistakes I kept making was coming off the wall and using my hips instead of my butt. I guess I am really hip dominant. And then some rolling. Oh yeah, up on a 1 count, hold for 3, down on a 2-count.

I love MM, but I asked on T-Nation (which I really don't like posting on) which exercises I couldn't do with my back stuff and he said not to do any of the yoga twists, the scorpions and the cat-camels (if I remember correctly). So that left me with some exercises that were helpful, but not as many as I'd like. Between MM and my chiro I had some good recovery exercises, but not any that were really helping my core in the way that I wanted it to...esp. when they got easy. My chiropractor actually drove me nuts (even though he does ART)... He told me I had kyphosis (three qualified people have said lordosis since then, which is what I thought too), and then when I told him my back wasn't hurting he told me I was "better" but that I could never do any of the other core exercises I was doing. So I was like, if this was all caused by inactive glute/hams/etc. how the hell am I supposed to strengthen them if I can only do baby exercises? I also told him I didn't think I was really "better" since my posture was still off. Anyway, he gave me long lectures about how athletes are bad clients because they want to do more than what he says and about how he thought I was going for cosmetic reasons.

What I really wanted was someone to tell me that my "condition" or whatever is treatable and to give me things I could do on my own to reverse it and also to eventually work my way up to being able to do forbidden exercises like Russian twists. ALSO part of the reason for going is because if I get more into Olylifting in the future I don't want to have problems. I'm not really lifting too much right now but that'll change and so I want to have a good solid foundation. Good posture, good muscle recruitment, etc. Obviously the chiropractor had probably never lifted anything over his head in his whole life and was used to treating mostly older people who hadn't either. But my Olylifting coach (who is a total rock star) is I think working with people who don't have problems with, say, Russian twists. I couldn't even do modified core work that he gave me and I don't want to be limited to bird dogs, plank holds and curl ups my whole life. I also wanted someone to tell me that this was all just one issue and everything was stacking up on it, which is exactly what he said. I kind of intuitively knew that was the case. (It doesn't matter how strong your hubs are if your wheel isn't true.)

Anyway, I am rambling but this has been a really frustrating thing for me for a long time now. Apparently I was also doing bird dogs wrong which was exacerbating this problem. I really really like MM, and I'm also fiercely independent and want to do things on my own but imagine how much more effective the things on my own would be if I could tell when I was doing them right. It is a very subtle distinction between a hip dominant improperly done bird dog and a correct bird dog. I'm just starting to be more of a fan of getting help when needed even if just for limited periods of time. I'm kind of well-versed from a lot of research in health/fitness but really it's just one of a large handfull of things I am always reading about and I'm certainly not an expert. I mean I'm not a trainer or a health care practitioner or even a massage therapist. I mean I want to be an English teacher. I guess it's just nice go to someone else who is knowledgeable. For one, it's a relief to not be the one self-diagnosing for a change. I don't have to figure everything out on my own; the role of a professional (trainer? practitioner?) and my role as a client is clearer. I can be proactive and responsible for myself without having to diagnose and treat everything that comes up... and I am just grateful that there are a few (very few) practitioners who are healthy enough to treat me without disempowering me.

I guess lastly I'll add that having a good posture is something I've been working on both physically and nonphysically for a really long time. It is really important to me and not just for aesthetic reasons or athletic goals. It actually has spiritual implications for me... I think the way a person stands and carries themselves says a lot about who they are... This board is full of atheists so I'll stop there. :)

Yael Grauer
06-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Just been doing all these activation exercises. They are easier without the bands but still not easy!! I am amazed at how different I feel and even stand afterwards and also at how incredibly tight my psoas is... it needs work!

Yael Grauer
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
17th and 18th were mostly rest days as I was traveling, on the 20th I went to Crossfit Flagstaff (http://crossfitflagstaff.com) right before my stop home. There are some pictures on their site. Lisa Ray is amazing. She is such a rock star... super knowledgeable and beautiful and strong. We worked in teams taking turns doing 400m runs (everyone ran twice), rowing while the runner was out (twice) and doing max situps and then max pushups during the run. I was stoked to be able to sort of keep up even though the elevation and my lack of metcon for however long it's been were a factor. Then we did deadlifts and I maxed out at 85 K. Anyway there are more pictures from my trip that I could send or maybe even post links to if anyone wants to see them... Did I mention that Lisa Ray is like, my hero?

Oh yeah, food during the trip was a joke and I thought I'd write it down for fun. Let's see on Friday I was in Phx. and I ate like bratwurst and chips with bean dip and I drank Dr. Pepper to try to stay awake and watch movies. Saturday I had like M+Ms or something from the gas station, then once I got to Flag I stopped at a cafe I used to hang at all the time wanting to support them. I'd forgotten they were vegan. I ordered a falafel sandwich. Later I had some popcorn and some hot chocolate. I also had some kind of mixed drink and forgot about the elevation until I got very very drunk although I was drinking slowly. Sunday my food was even worse. I stopped by the health food store to say hi to a friend and got like two Luna Bars or something. Then I went to this cafe I used to wash dishes at in exchange for food when I was homeless to say hi to the owner. I ate everything she put in front of me, which included some kind of weird tofu salad with rice and chard, some kind of noodle salad with chard and tempeh, a slice of watermelon, some Chinese plum candy, and a green drink smoothie that had some very very strange kind of protein powder--there was no wheat or soy, but some weird types of legume protein and such. And I think that was all I ate. Probably like 90% carb and not nearly enough food.

But I hit a new deadlift PR! lol

Yael Grauer
06-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Still feeling off, maybe from the 4 hr drive home? Not sure. I bet if I ate better and slept more, my recovery wouldn't take as long... Duh... I'm really unhappy with my lifestyle. Too stressful, crappy hours, bad broken sleep, etc. I need a new job, a new gym and a new apartment. I am playing the whole "wait to see if you get a better offer" job interview game. I need to know where the job will be before looking for the new apartment. And the new gym might depend on where I'll be living as well. So everything is in flux. The longer I can hold out with the job thing the better but I don't want to. I have until say July 11th but want to make a decision by this weekend.

Anyway, I am rambling. I'm going to start logging my food again esp. as I take these breaks between workouts... I need to get back on the 50-day thing but will be busy with interviews and such. One is tomorrow at 7 AM. :eek:

Okay so for the next however long I'll track my food in here again and I'll get back on the 50-day thing as soon as I feel up to it...

Yael Grauer
06-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I got all paranoid about any exercise exacerbating my lower crossed syndrome thingy, so been laying low and spending most of my time doing stretching, foam rolling, mobility exercises, etc. Spending time with my new toy (http://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.aspx?c=109&g=3395&Myo-Therapy/Balls%E2%84%A2).

Yael Grauer
06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
So just same old mobility exercises, stretching, foam rolling and these glute activation and hip flexor-relieving exercises. They are incredibly hard but I really feel them working... I think these will be priority for a while with working out second... I mean if I do everything properly and enough it takes around an hour, so...

Yael Grauer
06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Here's my routine (pictures of the exercises soon, it's just that I keep calling
in sick from work, so...)

exercises my kick ass massage/s+c guy gave me. all are 2-4 sets, 5-10 reps (each side if there's two sides) at a 1-3-2 tempo: 1-count up, 3-count hold, 2-count down, ankles cocked for all of these
-90/90 stretch (not what it sounds like)
-back hip xt with band--press knees out, lift up
-wall clams
-5-way leg raise (top hip in front of bottom hip): this is like 5 exercises

Magnificent Mobility exercises:
-fire hydrants, 10 each side
-supine bridge-12
-bird dog-10 each side (or as many as I can do correctly)
-single leg supine bridge-8 each side (or as many as I can do correctly)
-anterior/posterior leg swings, 10 each direction
-side to side leg swing, 10 each direction
-pull back butt kicks, 5 each side
-reverse warrior lunge, 5 each side
-alt. lateral lunge, 4 each side
-crossover overhead reverse lunge, 5 each side
-running butt kicks, 8 each side
-warrior lunge hip flexor stretch-15 seconds each side

foot/ankle mobility drills:
not convinced i need these, but been doing 25 meters each:
-inversion
-eversion
-toe in
-toe out
-backward on toes
-walk on heels (shoes on)

foam rolling/myo release ball

My hip flexors are loosening up and my illipsoas REALLY HURTS so I'm glad I'm getting work on it in a couple days.

Yael Grauer
06-30-2007, 11:41 AM
So I work part-time as a promo model and yesterday I got to work with a dancer doing some wine sampling, and I was realized I have absolutely no interest in looking anything like her. I was like, "What the hell was I thinking?" I mean she was very pretty but wow, if I was that thin with no muscle and really obsessed with yoga and pilates, I'd probably be like, "damn, I want to look like an Olylifter." She was super smart and very fun to work with and had great stories about bouncers kicking out various people, so I'm not dissing her. But I've officially moved on from wanting to look like a stripper. I'm glad I'm past that month-long phase in my life. Though I do still want a really flat stomach--but I think that's not going to happen until I take care of the lordosis.

So on that note, I went to see the kick-ass s+c coach who is also a manual therapist yesterday to see if I was doing my trunk stabilization exercises right. He gave me some more to do also. They were really hard. He said I should see some improvement really soon if I do them correctly and consistently. He even said I could break up all the exercises I have and only do half of them each day. So I'm on it. And that damn myo-release ball. As far as working out he said I could do anything I wanted as long as I didn't feel like I was exacerbating anything, am engaged through the midsection, have my form intact.

I also got some shiatsu. I asked her to work on my psoas and she was like, "WOW, that's really specific! Most people don't even know where their psoas is!" She was also really surprised at how well my body responded. She said it was just surface tension and she worked way deeper than she usually can with people who have tight hip flexors. So that was cool.

I put in notice at work (YEAH!!) so that should take care of the messed-up sleep, sitting in front of my computer too much, stress and monotony, etc.

AND I'm trying to find a new apartment near that really sweet powerlifting gym I'm going to join in a couple months.

So things are looking up. I'll start posting my workouts again soon.

Yael Grauer
07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
I did my five zillion exercises and then tall split jerk behind the neck 3X4 at 30#, split jerk behind the neck at 45#, 45# cleans and squats, db side raises 10# 30# bb curls, overhead db extensions (25#), not as many as rx'ed and my weight was low but just trying to really really make sure my butt and core is engaged, so less weight and reps is okay for now I guess... I did end up being at the gym for a couple hours. I'm gonna split my torso stabilization exercises in half and just do half a day.

Yael Grauer
07-04-2007, 06:41 PM
So I added some stuff, took some stuff out, and am working my way back to the weight #s I had, but using more core and glutes. I expect my numbers to be a little lower for a couple of weeks and then skyrocket. :)

warmed up with the hip extension series (bands, double leg, single leg, single leg raise/lower), the two 90/90 stretches and clams, 2 sets of 8 of everything

Overhead squat 3X5 30, 45, 65 (65 was broken)
Snatch HP 5 3 3 3 3, 45, 55, 65, 65, 65 (definitely felt this in my core)
snatch 3X3 20, 30, 30
back squat 6X3, 65, 65, 85, 105, 115, 115

db incline press 8, 5, 5, 5 25#
db row 8, 5, 5, 5, 25#
prone db pullback 12, 8, 8, 8, #s: 12, 15, 20, 25

5-position leg lifts, 2 sets of 8
planks, 30 sec. each, 2 side planks (1 each side) and 2 reg.

Yael Grauer
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
OMG, I can foam roll my IT band without crying and screaming! It's a miracle! I've been using the myo-release ball and then the foam roller on it every night. The other areas I was supposed to work on aren't killing me any more, but this one is a ~!@#%. I was making myself do 90 seconds on each of the three spots (which get progressively more painful) and then a bit of the foam. The exercises are also getting easier. I think my left side is realigning way faster than the right side, though. I must have a bit more hip twisting on that side. I'm also feeling my posture changing as I'm walking, which is great. It's going to take a while to learn to reuse my body properly, but I am pretty psyched to see progress.

Yael Grauer
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Did some 1RM testing and V-Max and T-Max testing.

John Alston
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Did some 1RM testing and V-Max and T-Max testing.

How did it go?

Yael Grauer
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
My V-max and T-Max scores suck. Already tested my dl 1rm not too long ago. Squat 3RM is 138, db bp 3 RM is 60 lbs (30 lb dbs), I only got 4 reps at 110 for squats, db bench 6 reps at 25 lbs. Just wanted to get a baseline before getting my nutrition dialed in. I also did girth measurements, etc.

My friend is gonna let me borrow a bike when I'm in MN :) so I'll do some intervals then.

I also coincidentally met this NHB coach yesterday who trained with Gene LeBell (!!! my jaw dropped... I asked him if he had a pink gi) and plan on sitting in on some classes when I get back to see if I like it, AND a friend of mine gave his powerlifter friend my myspace name and she messaged me... She trains at the powerlifting gym I want to join!! When I get back she told me to call her and she'd give me a guest pass and also drive me around to show me the apartment complexes near the gym that she thinks are in the safest areas. OMG I met a world class martial artist AND a female powerlifter all in two days!!!!!!!!! She's so cool, too. We talked on the phone for like a half hour right now. I told her what my scores were and what needs work. She was excited I was gonna join her gym. It is SO NICE to meet women that train.

Yael Grauer
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Wow. I love Minneapolis. There are trees and water here. I walked around the lake the other day. :)

Today: improvised dumbbell workout:
20 each: thrusters, swings, backward lunge steps, rows, pushups, squats, deads, 2 side planks, 2 front planks, max curlups.

For the past two weeks every workout is preceded by two sets of 8-10 reps all these torso stabilization and glute/ab activation exercises I have, and followed by IT band rolling. My right IT band is doing awesome, left is still a bit more knotted up.

Yael Grauer
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
oh and climbing

Yael Grauer
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Walking around the river and about an hour training FMA with my brother's girlfriend's brother. He's REALLY good!

Yael Grauer
07-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Did a couple classes at the MN Kali Group. The first was Panantukan, which was okay but not much of a workout. We did end with some conditioning, though, on focus mitts. The guy I partnered up with was hardcore. It makes such a difference, having a good training partner who also really pushes you. And when it was his turn to go he really worked it. My favorite part was the situp/punching stuff, fun times. Then Phase 1, which started out with FMA. I love FMA but the footwork drills reminded me of step aerobics. The conditioning was good. We alternated between left kick, cross hook, left kick, right kick, cross, hook, right kick, and then left, cross, hook, left, right, cross, hook, right... just different combos. They threw in a defense from right kick in there too. The very last thing was 5-4-3-2-1-5-4-3-2-1 thai kicks -- that's one rep and we were supposed to do 10. I think if I had crappy form I could do more Thai kicks faster but James and I have spent a LOT of time working on my kick form and I don't want to lose it. Plus turning over my kicks at the end helps seems to work areas that usu. don't fire off correctly, so it's a good exercise for me.

Anyway, when I get back I really need to decide where I'm going to train MA now that I'll have nights off. I really want to pick one place and get really good. There's a jiu jitsu school that has women's classes that I could go to, a Muay Thai place that has ground once a week, and I met this guy who trains cage fighters... plus they teach MMA at the powerlifting gym I'm joining. There's a couple places I was looking at that I ruled out, so it's between these, uh, FOUR. I really want to pick ONE thing and get good at it, but I want to visit and revisit schools to see what feels icky and what feels good before I get out my charts and decide what range is a priority and what the pros and cons are. I'm excited that my decision will no longer be dictated by a schedule that has me working 'til 10:30 PM four nights a week. That's how I almost ended up at a really crappy boxing gym.

My diet hasn't been the best since I've been out here, but when I have the choice I've been doing good--eggs and veggies for breakfast, yesterday I made some really yummy salmon we had with asparagus, etc. I've at least made sure that I work out right before going out to eat so my cheat meals in the 2-hour window. I will buckle down when I get home.

Chuck Kechter
07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Did a couple classes at the MN Kali Group. The first was Panantukan, which was okay but not much of a workout. We did end with some conditioning, though, on focus mitts.

Who taught the class? I have a very good friend that teaches out of there named Kathryn Brenny...

Yael Grauer
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Who taught the class? I have a very good friend that teaches out of there named Kathryn Brenny...

Rick Faye taught most of one of the classes. He is very very good. All the things I'd heard about him were true and then some. The other class was mostly taught by a woman named Diane, his assistant. She was pretty good technically, but I'm not a fan. I've sent her a TON of e-mails and left phone messages over the past year, trying to get an interview with Vanessa Herbst for my website. No response. (I found out Vanessa was in New Jersey through Tracker School people.) I also left at least three more recent phone messages over the past two weeks asking for information about classes, etc. I wanted to know which classes Rick taught so I could go to one of those. (You can't tell from their site.) No response. I sent e-mail messages and tried to add them on myspace. No response. Luckily my brother's girlfriend's brother trains there and gave me the 411. I was impressed with the school and their instruction. Their (in)ability to pick up a telephone to return a call, not so much. It made me not even want to go train there. I am glad I did though.

Chuck Kechter
07-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Rick Faye is very good... I took some Muay Thai classes with him a few years ago. I don't know Diane (or don't remember her). My friend Kathryn is likewise a great technician -- though her sparring isn't what it could be. But that is her focus... She likes the "art" side of things and the workout. She has no grand designs about being the toughest "chick" on the block... :)

Yael Grauer
07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Rick said that there are good martial technicians who can't fight and good fighters who have no technique and that the way to work on one's weaknesses is through play.

Yael Grauer
07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
So I've been looking hard for somewhere to train multiple times a week now that I'll have nights off. Kind of turned off by a lot of martial arts schools because they won't allow you to train elsewhere at all, because they talk mad shit about people they know nothing about, because they aren't beginner-friendly, because they are too expensive, etc. So I was having a really hard time. I called my buddy James to ask him if he knew other people that are sane but kick ass (people like him, basically). He teaches twice a week and is very good at it, but I want three times a week and I want to go somewhere where I'm not the only beginner. I sat in on an MMA class at the gym I'm joining and the instructor was SO GOOD. I'm so glad. They worked on mostly grappling but he also teaches stand-up, the students have a wide variety of skill levels, he worked everyone hard without being a jerk about it, and he wasn't oozing with ego even though he's fought UFC and is a retired SEAL. He didn't swear or get angry, he didn't push people too hard, and best of all the price of classes is included with gym membership. AND I could still train with James (until he changes his schedule that is) so that just rocks.

Also I'm on this two-week meat and green veggies diet. It's interesting. I've been doing green tea, too.

Yael Grauer
07-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Just some overhead squats, 4 X 5, 35, 45, 65 (f), 55, 55. I got 65 last time, but I'm still adapting to this extremely low carb thing I guess.

Okay so then I worked on deadlift form with this powerlifter, working on glute activation and all one move and some other things she saw. Just 100 lbs for form.

Then about 10 minutes on the elliptical-type-thing.

I think I'm more into O-lifting than powerlifting because I don't want to breath funny or use a belt or a suit, because I think O-lifters look better and because I really like jumping. And I guess that's about as much thought as I've put into it. Then again, maybe my reasoning is advanced in its simplicity, like Forrest Gump. Like when I say I like an MMA coach because he doesn't swear or scream at people or talk too much shit and when someone's deconditioned he just says "yeah, you should start running" and that's it. I like that. Maybe everything is simple.

I need to work out more. But tonight is Bob Dylan.

John Alston
07-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Olympic lifting is simply cooler. No mysterious gains from magic suits, you get to jump with heavy barbells, and you get to put heavy stuff over your head. Can't beat it.

Yael Grauer
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Olympic lifting is simply cooler. No mysterious gains from magic suits, you get to jump with heavy barbells, and you get to put heavy stuff over your head. Can't beat it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's only on one plane.

John Alston
07-25-2007, 06:12 AM
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's only on one plane.

Hmm, that's true. I never thought of that. Horizontal work - rows and presses - are decent supplemental work, though. And picking something up and overhead is way cooler than having to lie down under it and press it.

Yael Grauer
07-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Hmm, that's true. I never thought of that. Horizontal work - rows and presses - are decent supplemental work, though. And picking something up and overhead is way cooler than having to lie down under it and press it.

Yeah. I think it's just a personal choice... but I remember someone on these forums writing about how people need to realize the fundamental long-term differences in training one over the other and wishing they would explain it in English, haha.

Yael Grauer
07-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Okay, so I'm wrapping up day 5 of this low-carb thing. 9 more to go. I added avocados and nuts and eggs because I'm getting really spaced out. I just go through moments where I feel really out of it. I'm not really craving carbs, though, but it's hard socially. Like today after watching the Simpsons sneak preview movie I won tickets to, I really wanted to get a beer with my buddy, but alas, no beer. What can I do socially that doesn't involve food or drink? I did find a place I can eat at (steak salad, salmon, etc.) and I can do green tea...

I'm also having trouble working out for more than a few minutes, and trying to take it easy b/c I feel so out of it.

I'm also getting frustrated with my corrective exercises. I actually called the dude who I'm working with on them yesterday and explained why I thought they weren't working... We were trying to troubleshoot and determined that things were not getting worse and were possibly getting better because my foam rolling isn't as painful and I can do some of the corrective exercises longer and I sometimes feel my glutes firing off properly--Thai kicks and light weight deadlifts. I'm not getting worse and think I'm doing the exercises correctly. He said he wasn't sure what my next step would be because he could give me a referral but I said I didn't want to see a chiropractor again... After like five or ten minutes of back and forth I had an epiphany that I hadn't really strengthened the areas I'm strengthening that much--I don't feel like they are really strong, so it would be dumb to give up now.

I'm looking for ways to tweak the exercises. I want something measurable and objective so I'm thinking of adding isometric holds for some of the band exercises so I can see improvement on the second hand of my watch, and I'm going to take out the easier exercises and focus on the harder ones. I've been told corrective exercise program design is more art than science, so...

Yael Grauer
07-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I accidentally got to the gym 30 minutes before they closed, so I only got a half hour workout: back squats, front squats, cleans, deadlifts, snatches, dumbbell swings, even a couple curls. High rep low weight for great form because I REALLY want to fix my stupid hyperlordosis. So I mostly did 30-50 pounds and 90 lb deads.

I am kinda frustrated because I've been suffering through this stupid low-carb diet for seven days and haven't lost any weight or inches, even though all I've eaten has been beef, chicken, steak, buffalo, fish, eggs, a little nuts, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, squash, artichokes, peas and asparagus. I did have a piece of gum by mistake, oh and a few slices of bacon which probably had sugar, but still... I thought I was slaving through this diet for a reason but I've seen no change at all. So I'm a bit frustrated, to say the least. Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do I still get the exact same outcome.

So I have seven more days on it and I'm going to make sure the calories are low and I'm exercising more, but sheez.

My BFP is 27.7% according to caliper measurements, if I am calculating correctly. It was 32% once upon a time and I brought it down to 28% by just doing lame workouts in a box gym 3-5 times a week, but I guess it's probably been 28% ever since. It's weird because I feel like I have way more muscle and less fat than I did back then, but I guess not!

Anyway, seven more days of this and then I'll transition off of it (whether I've seen results or not) which takes about two weeks I guess of adding in more clean carbs.

Yael Grauer
07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm going to start posting my exact meals and snacks and workouts every single day. I could really use feedback on why things aren't moving.

I guess I'm going to just write everything down and then post it every day so I won't have to update my log seven times a day with every little thing I eat.

Yael Grauer
07-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Meal 1: 11 shrimp, 1 cup of broccoli.
Meal 2: 3 oz. of steak, a cup of cabbage
Meal 3: half an angus burger, about a cup of salad, a small handful of cashews (I decided to let myself do a little bit of extra fat every few days because of how spacy I got without it)
Meal 4: just like meal three, minus the cashews
Meal 5: 3 oz. ground buffalo, 10 stalks asparagus

I haven't figured out exact calories for this, but it ain't a lot of food.

Workout: None today; still sore from yesterday. I helped build a sweatlodge, but that was more active recovery than anything.

The good news is that a friend of mine at the sweat told me I seemed a lot more aligned--chin tucked in, shoulders back more--so maybe my corrective exercises for my posture are working! Another friend told me I looked like I lost weight, but I think he was just being polite.

Yael Grauer
07-30-2007, 10:04 PM
meal 1: 1 cup cabbage, about 3 ounces ground buffalo
meal 2: about six turkey slices, lettuce, some cashews
meal 3: same as meal 2
meal 4: salad--lettuce, peas and green pepper with chicken, and a bit of Italian dressing, plus about a half an egg (salad bar, yeah). The lettuce was a bit more than one cup, but I figured it was okay because lettuce is like two calories or something. Chicken was probably around 3 ounces, maybe a bit less.
meal 5: 3 ounces turkey, one cup of squash and green veggies--I cooked up a bunch of veggies at once so they'd be easy to heat up and eat.

I need to get to the gym. Too busy today.

Yael Grauer
08-01-2007, 05:59 AM
All I ate all day yesterday was turkey (about twelve oz. total) and green veggies (mostly cooked cabbage and broccoli) and half a thing of mixed nuts.

Workout: I trained, mostly stand up for a half hour. I need to stop blocking with my face. I'm doing better mentally though, with staying in the fight after blocking with my face. It sucks to get worked by 15 year old kids though, lol.

My diet is spot on (except that I really think I'm going to do better once I add more carbs in--I'm not losing weight on this thing like I'm supposed to and my recovery is focked) and when I get more sleep. I'm having trouble making sleep and exercise a priority... especially yesterday, when it was overridden by work training, last minute bank issues, apartment hunting, getting stuck in the monsoon flooding, buying/changing my spark plugs, etc... I think once I get in a work routine and move into my new place it'll be easier. My new place is only two and a half miles and abt five minutes from the gym I'm joining! And it has A/C! and the crime stats report was a zillion times better than my neighborhood now. Just this month we've had three break-ins, two fires started, a stolen vehicle and someone had gas siphoned from their truck so it's none too soon to leave.

Anyway, my point is that I need to find a way to balance work and errands with sleep and exercise one of these days... Yesterday was not that day!

Yael Grauer
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Chicken, beef, etc. and salad with peas
Beef and avocado and lettuce

I'm so not sold on this diet at all anymore--I am having such a hard time getting the energy to do basic things like moving tables or stacks of chairs, so how is this at all healthy? But that Polliquin/JB diet thing said...

Three more days of this and then I get to reintroduce clean non-green carbs every third day for a couple of weeks. I hope that helps.

John Alston
08-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Chicken, beef, etc. and salad with peas
Beef and avocado and lettuce

I'm so not sold on this diet at all anymore--I am having such a hard time getting the energy to do basic things like moving tables or stacks of chairs, so how is this at all healthy? But that Polliquin/JB diet thing said...

Three more days of this and then I get to reintroduce clean non-green carbs every third day for a couple of weeks. I hope that helps.

Yael, are you going without fruit for carbs as well?

Yael Grauer
08-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Yael, are you going without fruit for carbs as well?

Yeah, haven't had any fruit in ten days. Supposedly if you just eat green veggies and meat/chicken/fish for two weeks (with some supplemental fat as needed), it helps kickstart serious weight loss--except all it's done for me is make me really tired and mess up my recovery. I'm no longer craving serious carbs, which is good, but I'm probably not getting the right amount/intensity of exercise in that I'd need for it to work because I just feel so weak and sluggish.

John Alston
08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Yeah, haven't had any fruit in ten days. Supposedly if you just eat green veggies and meat/chicken/fish for two weeks (with some supplemental fat as needed), it helps kickstart serious weight loss--except all it's done for me is make me really tired and mess up my recovery. I'm no longer craving serious carbs, which is good, but I'm probably not getting the right amount/intensity of exercise in that I'd need for it to work because I just feel so weak and sluggish.

Hmmm, it sounds really low calorie. I like the general style - good ol' greenface diet (if it's green or has a face you can eat it!) - but I think I would have to eat lots of fats to go that way.

Yael Grauer
08-02-2007, 07:16 AM
Hmmm, it sounds really low calorie. I like the general style - good ol' greenface diet (if it's green or has a face you can eat it!) - but I think I would have to eat lots of fats to go that way.

It's very low calorie--for women it's only about 18 oz of protein and 6 cups of veggies a day. And when I asked why I'm not losing any weight, I was told I'm not exercising enough or getting too much calories. But since my recovery is pretty much shot and I'm soooooo tired, I'm not sure how I could be exercising more... and I doubt I could really eat too many calories on such a restricted diet. I've been really careful to make sure my portions are exactly as rx'ed this past week though...er, maybe five days.

Yael Grauer
08-19-2007, 09:10 AM
So the diet didn't work and yet somehow in the past two weeks of eating whatever I wanted (not enough real food and too much chocolate) and barely exercising, I've lost seven pounds. It makes no sense at all. I'm trying to get my life together so I can eat and sleep and not work 16 hour days. I guess that means using the damn textbook instead of writing creative, intricate lesson plans that don't work anyway...lol...

I'm moving near the new gym I'm joining 9/1.

Yael Grauer
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I got WORKED on Sunday. I went to train taijutsu just for the mindset, and we ended up doing a LOT of cool alive training. I asked for "one who continues to fight even when there is a dagger piercing his heart" training, so we did some basic SD stuff we know (releases, etc.) only with a lot more resistance than I'm used to. Then we did a lot of ground work, like trying to get out of rear naked chokes in rear mount... Then we did stick training (Japanese, I'm used to Filipino and kept asking for smaller sticks) and decided to all out brawl, 2 on 1 against our instructor. I almost got him in a rear naked choke! :) Anyway, I have the biggest bruises I have ever had on my arm right now, two *huge* purple/red/black things that look worse each day (but the ones from getting hit with a stick on my fingers hurt more)... my students were like, "MISS! What happened to your arm?!" I wonder if they believe me or if I look like a battered wife to them.

Can't wait to train regularly again; first I have to move though.

Allen Yeh
08-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Ever use dit dat jow? It was great relief after hardbody training back in the day when I used to train.

Derek Simonds
08-22-2007, 04:31 AM
There definitely is something about stick fighting that is just primal. I have never done anything other than fillipino.

the battered wife thing with the students is pretty funny. Hopefully nobody brings it up to the administrators. I get all kinds of looks when I walk into business meetings with my 8" splint on my right arm. I have worked on all kinds of different answers and have finally just given up and tell them I hurt it training. Anything else and it becomes a distraction.

It sounds like you had a great training session I am really jealous only 2 -4 weeks to go.

Yael Grauer
08-22-2007, 06:27 AM
I have a ton of jow and all kinds of herbal concoctions, but sometimes I just like being all bruised up and not trying to fix it. Hard to explain. I do use homeopathic arnica (and rhus and ruta) however.

Our administration is actually pretty darn cool. They would likely find it amusing. I had a hard day last Friday and my principal told me to call my mom, drink some wine, take a day off and not grade any papers and do something spiritual. I took his advice.

I know very little about Japanese stick except that you are supposed to let it glide through your fingers and that you are often holding the stick with both hands in the middle as opposed to holding it like a bat.

It is funny that we trained so hard because I went to taijutsu thinking it wouldn't be alive--I'm trying to lay off of the hardcore training until my health insurance kicks in on 9/1. Though actually I went to MMA one day and almost got knocked the f*** out by some 15 year old kid. He punched me really hard and I felt it in the back of my head, woah. He was going kinda hard considering we weren't wearing head gear... I can't box well but I got some really sweet kicks in. But then I started fighting like Forrest did in the last fight-- I'd get one kick in and then run and hide in the corner and then try to get one punch in and run back again...lol.

I guess teaching is showing me that I don't have the with-it-ness or the level of presence that I thought I did, but I've improved dramatically in the last 11 days and getting better every day. It's one of those schools where new people quit early and often, where a huge transition is taking place but there are a lot of road blocks along the way. Dealing with 30 students at a time takes a much higher level of awareness than anything I've ever done and I'm not sure there's any way to prepare for it other than doing it. It's interesting to me to see which things that I thought would upset me I can just laugh off, and which things do get to me even though they are seemingly minor. And it's fascinating to me when I find myself saying things that I hated hearing growing up; weird to be in this position. But I think it's a lot like taijutsu in some ways--you have to be really relaxed, calm, present and aware... if you tense up you are done.

And it helps so much to get away from it and get some perspective.

Anyway, to bring this back to training...I'm trying to follow the Berardi principals and so I can technically eat at 6, 9-ish, 1-ish, 4, 7 and 10... I get up at 6, have planning at 9, lunch at 1, school ends before 4, etc... But I don't like eating at 9 and 1--our lunch is only a half hour and during planning I am, well, planning... So I wonder if I could work IF into this or if it would backfire because I am stressed out. Honestly even though I am extremely stressed out, I feel like it is less stressful than my old job. I get to walk around the room instead of sitting on my butt, and even with the crazy long days I am still getting more sleep and better sleep hours than my old job.

I should probably eat at 1, but I kinda want to eat at 6 and then at 6 and that's it... Probably a bad idea, we'll see. IF gurus, what say ye?

Yael Grauer
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow. So I guess starting a new job, moving across town and starting a new relationship all at once isn't conducive to following a strict workout plan and diet regimen. Somehow I managed to lose all this weight anyway, but the most working out I've done lately has been carrying gas to my car when I ran out. It was fun, though. Like a farmer's walk with a purpose.

I am struggling with my diet. I really want to eat nothing but yogurt and granola for breakfast, or smoothies with an orange juice base instead of raw milk. I buy meat, fruit and veggies for lunch and dinner but rarely eat lunch. I'm not intentionally IF'ing; however I have a half hour lunch and am putting out fires most of that time.

I need to come up with a plan that is halfway between what I am doing now and where I want to be.

It's just that I am usually at work very late at least two days a week and go out at least once a week and have some work-related workshop once a week. I need to get more organized and work on time management.

So maybe if I say I want to work out 6 days a week and am working out 0 days a week, I could try to get to 3 days a week. And if I want to be eating 100% paleo but am eating 0% Paleo... Maybe if I just commit to Paleo dinners every night and Paleo breakfast two days a week. Not sure about lunch yet. I am still unpacking, catching up with old grading, trying to write lesson plans, etc.

It's amazing that I lost all this weight by accident, but also kind of annoying. I like how I look now but I feel like I cheated by not doing more work to get here.

Allen Yeh
09-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Somehow I managed to lose all this weight anyway, but the most working out I've done lately has been carrying gas to my car when I ran out. It was fun, though.

Sounds about right. My friends and I always found that to be true if we had been eating very strictly for weeks then binged all out then 2 days after the binge we were down in weight more than prior. Something about leptin...

Yael Grauer
09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds about right. My friends and I always found that to be true if we had been eating very strictly for weeks then binged all out then 2 days after the binge we were down in weight more than prior. Something about leptin...

I guess it's the stress and near starvation that did it. :)

Yael Grauer
09-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Well, this is insane. I was like 147 or something in mid July, 139 in mid August and now I'm at 132. I haven't been 132 since I was like a teenager or something. And I haven't been exercising. My diet has been fairly clean by my standards but not by, say, P-Menu standards (I do granola and yogurt and orange juice and chocolate and sometimes even caffeine...today I ate potatoes and corn with my chicken, and I eat peas and cashews on a regular basis...I follow the metabolic typing dietary guidelines, or try to...with some sushi and beer thrown in). Losing 15 lbs on my 5'4 frame in less than three months is pretty insane, especially since I essentially stopped working out for the past month or so (other than lugging boxes of papers to grade back and forth). I guess I finely look almost exactly the way I want but I still have this damn hyperlordosis and I'm sure my 1RM's have gone way down and now that I'm not single I need goals beyond looking like a stripper :rolleyes: . I am hoping to join the gym (considering I moved into this apartment because it was close to the gym) soon soon soon soon soon. I will have to find a way to work it in to my crazy work schedule--I think I'm working about 80 hours a week, but this should change.

I still can't figure out how I lost so much weight. Maybe because there's no vending machines at work? Maybe because I've been going to bed early? I say at 11:49 PM when I have to wake up at 6... Heh. This is an exception; I got distracted with the Ride of Paul Revere! I want to have a life outside of 8th grade Language Arts. I already have taught everyone around me about alliteration and personification and even anachronisms. I still hang with my writing partners and YJT pals and such but man I need to start training MMA and lifting again before I lose it.

By the way, don't ever rent Babel. Just some words of wisdom.

Yael Grauer
09-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Finally joined the gym! I am so super excited, especially because the student rate is only $35 a month, which is pretty damn good for a gym with tons of new kettlebells in 5 pound increments, a fucking Olylifting platform and bumper plates. Not to mention that MMA is included in the cost of membership. So I trained today and that was pretty fun but mostly we worked on positioning, creating space/controlling the other guy's hips and about three submissions but I didn't get to roll. I asked our instructor when he thought I'd be ready and he told me to come back Monday for sure so he could work with me and see when he thinks. I haven't been in a gym for like two months so I am a bit rusty but whatever. I am so psyched!!!! It's just that it's 1 and I want to get up at 5:30 to finish working up my kick-ass lesson plans, so I'll need to get my sleep and food dialed in again. I'm so excited about these lesson plans though. We're doing Fort Minor's Remember the Name (the censored version) to learn rhyme scheme, metaphor, idioms, similes, etc. I am using a handout called "how to approach a strange poem without being bitten." It is gonna be awesome! I'm mentioning this in my training blog because I think MMA helps improve my attitude to tackle any problem that arises... OMG I am so psyched about this gym!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how good the price is for everything they offer. Oh yeah: http://www.powerphysiquesystems.com/

Yael Grauer
10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Couple hours of MMA yesterday. Our coach is so cool. He gets that I'm new-ish and little... and so he lets me do drills last--so like five or six guys will go against one person and then I'll get to go when that person is exhausted so it's easier--it is still alive and against resistance but I have more of a chance. We worked some great hip drills and also getting past guard. Surprisingly enough, they almost never use closed guard at this gym except to establish position. Anyway, I am only a little sore which is nice but he said my ribs and abs would be sore and I just feel my arms and shoulders.

Diet is awesome--I'm still eating grains but only around a workout and the rest of my food is just scrambled eggs with turkey and veggies, chicken and veggies, Meditteranean salad, apples, etc. I'm still doing some legumes--I love garbanzo beans so much.

Still I am excited to get in the gym and eat more again. Yesterday I got home at 5 and had about three hours worth of grading, etc. and I told myself I was going to the gym from 7 til whenever come hell or high water. I went to the gym and got home and graded. I did have to put some of it off but did all the pressing stuff. I guess I just need to MAKE time--schedule appointments with myself for the gym and cooking for the next day--because if I just wait until I have time it'll never get done... I am estimating my work week is about 75-90 hours. I am trying my darndest to get more organized and I'm also trying to move all my work stuff back to my classroom. I don't mind being here for 12 hours but I do mind it taking over my living room.

Sleep has been limited due to excessive demands on my time and also my newfound coffee addiction.

It's so difficult to balance work, school, sleep, keeping my house beautiful, training, cooking, writing, relationships, leisure time...

Yael Grauer
10-11-2007, 07:08 AM
I am tired of leaving for work at 7 and not getting home until 9. It is getting old and I am getting sick.

Somehow I keep losing weight anyway even though I am eating crap and not exercising. I don't know if it's from dragging heavy boxes full of papers and books and crap to my car and back to school every day or what but there it is.

I guess I eat steak and veggies once in a while but mostly I am on a steady diet of coffee and hard candy.

Allen Yeh
10-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Somehow I keep losing weight anyway even though I am eating crap and not exercising.

Stress?

Yael Grauer
10-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Stress?

Hmmm... I was thinking caffeine, maybe?

Yael Grauer
10-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Or not.

# Petrie, H.J., Chown, S.E., Belfie, L.M., Duncan, A.M., McLaren, D.H., Conquer, J.A. and Graham, T.E. 2004. Caffeine ingestion increases the insulin response to an oral-glucose-tolerance test in obese men before and after weight loss. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 80(1):22-8.
# Graham, T.E., Sathasivam, P., Rowland, M., Marko, N., Greer, F. and Battram, D. 2001. Caffeine ingestion elevates plasma insulin response in humans during an oral glucose tolerance test. Canadian journal of physiology and pharmacology. 78(7):559-65.
# Keijzers, G.B., De Galan, B.E., Tack, C.J. and Smits, P. 2002. Caffeine can decrease insulin sensitivity in humans. Diabetes Care. 25(2):364-9.
# Natali, A. and Ferrannini, E. 2004. Hypertension, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome. Endocrinology and metabolism clinics of North America. 33(2):417-29

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Hmmm... I was thinking caffeine, maybe?

Unless you are downing Starbucks or something...inadequate caloric intake? Below maintenance calories?

Yael Grauer
10-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Unless you are downing Starbucks or something...inadequate caloric intake? Below maintenance calories?

Well, I went from zero coffee to maybe 1-3 cups a day. I definitely do get enough calories though I think! Maybe I should start tracking again to make sure. Damn it, counting calories...

I need to TTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRAIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN

Yael Grauer
10-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, I looked at my numbers over the past four month regimen of too much coffee and sugar, not enough food and working out once a week at best and it looks like I lost 14 pounds, 5 of which were fat (hmmm), about 3" off my waist, my body fat percentage went down from 27.7 to 27.1 or something, and most of my skinfold and girth measurements went way down (7-17% for girth, 9-31% for skinfold, though some of my measurements actually went up.) 20 BFP is the highest I feel comfortable with, but I can't expect much from my, uh, not quite meticulous regimen...but I think some of my numbers might be wrong. I have to find my Myotape so I can get more precision.

Yael Grauer
12-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I was on the phone with my man and he asked me what program I had decided on and I was doing the whole "Well, I'm leaving for Costa Rica in two weeks and I haven't emailed Catherine yet about kettlebells but I know this cool program except it's linear periodization and Cosgrove wrote that undulating was better but Poliquin says you lose strength pretty slowly anyway, but there's loaded eccentric" and he just kind of stopped me and said I was thinking too much and I should just go to the gym and work out. And since I won't shut up about how I should be I couldn't disagree.

SO...here is my random drive-by workout

front squat 45# 6
clean 45# 6
grav 60-70 assist, 10 reps
kb swings, smallest size bell, 14 reps
snatch 20# 6
db extension or whatever it's called 10 X 20#
db lateral raises 8# X 10
db bench 20 lb X 10
shoulder press 30# 10
tricep extensions then pulldowns-- 10 at 110 and then 10 at 6 or 7

I'm still trying to figure out my diet while working such crazy hours as I do but I feel like I can't eat anything but sprouts and chicken. I was eating lots of brats but then someone convinced me that because pig flesh is so close to human flesh, diseases residing in pigs are more easily transferred and the immune system does not defend against them. Mmmmm, disease, antibiotics and growth hormones. Sitll I am fucking sick of not being able to eat anything because my diet is so restrictive that I end up eating whatever is around anyway because I am hungry so I am still working on compromise foods... No WHEAT but I will allow myself the occasional granola and yogurt breakfast. No pork but I'll eat eggs even if they are not from grassfed chicken. No juice and no pasteurized cow milk but if I can't get raw cow sometimes I will do some pasteurized goat milk with my smoothies. It's all a juggling act still.

Allen Yeh
12-12-2007, 03:36 AM
he just kind of stopped me and said I was thinking too much and I should just go to the gym and work out. And since I won't shut up about how I should be I couldn't disagree.

Sounds like a smart guy ;)

All that stuff you mentioned is great but useless if it's causing too much conflict. Most of that stuff is great for the last 10% but most people (not saying you) need to get the first 90% settled first i.e. basics.

I find myself guilty of all that sometimes too much overthinking and not enough doing. I've actually gotten better about that recently but I'll still slip into it every now and again.

Yael Grauer
12-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Sounds like a smart guy ;)

All that stuff you mentioned is great but useless if it's causing too much conflict. Most of that stuff is great for the last 10% but most people (not saying you) need to get the first 90% settled first i.e. basics.

I find myself guilty of all that sometimes too much overthinking and not enough doing. I've actually gotten better about that recently but I'll still slip into it every now and again.

No, I agree I need to get the 90% in order first too, especially since I haven't been working out much because of my 70-90 hour work weeks. I carry heavy books and things back and forth to my car and stand on my feet all day, but I haven't even been doing MMA consistently. And how good is the best written plan if you don't follow it?

Looking back on it I think I was pretty smart about it in that I did some good full-body stuff followed by isolated upper body work. Today my legs are a little sore and I have to decide whether to go to MMA or not...

Studies show that after Christmas break, new teachers get past the disillusionment phase and start peaking back up towards rejuvenation and reflection, followed by anticipation for the next year. So it's a good time to get re-started.

And yes, he is a genius... :o

Yael Grauer
12-16-2007, 10:59 PM
I decided on

Monday--MMA
Tuesday--c+j, snatch, push press
Wed--MMA
Thursday--front and back squats
Saturday--standing press, bench or incline press, any type of pulling work

I may switch Sat to Friday but usually on Fridays I just want to recover from my work week. It may be nice to have two days off in a row though.

I'm trying my hardest to figure out how I can tweak my schedule so that I don't have to work all weekend. I was thinking if I just keep all of my work at school then it won't spill over into the rest of my life as much. If I work even until 7 or 8 if need be and then go straight to the gym and straight home without taking any paperwork with me then I could have the next ten hours to myself, which might be better for my mental health AND focus...

I'll probably be too sore to do M-F at first though but I'll give priority to MMA and just keep cycling through the exercises, going to the gym on days I'm feeling up to it.

Yael Grauer
12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
The one day I go to fucking MMA in months and it's cancelled. :(

So I did
c+j 5 X 30, 5 X 45, 5 X 55
shoulder press 5 X 45, 5 X 45, 5 X 45
snatch for form 5 X 15, 5 X 15, 5 X 15
then 2 more 45# cleans for good measure

So I have to decide whether I want to do my front and back squats tomorrow and MMA on Wednesday or take tomorrow off or what.

Yael Grauer
12-18-2007, 07:18 PM
No squats today so I can actually do MMA tomorrow and because I let my students straighten my hair and didn't want to get it all sweaty when I can't wash it. My classroom was invaded by 8 girls, four straightening irons and some kind of weird raspberry oil they bought 'specially for the occasion...if I wash my hair tonight, they will kill me.

I did start doing my stretching and myofascial release, though. I also got my new food chart and I am already smart enough to stay away from soy/tofu, artificial sweeteners, wheat, tap water, soft drinks...but I'm adding dairy, tomatoes and iceberg lettuce to the mix. Just a start. I'll ratchet it up once I'm more consistent...lately I've been living on coffee.

Yael Grauer
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I reread the ME black box article and decided to go with that, ME black box for 3 days and 2 days of MMA. So I started with 5X5 at the exercise I left off at, which was squats. I did 5X5 front and back squats at 45, 65, 75, 85, 85.

Notes: I don't think my glutes are activating and I'm not sure how to fix it; I can't really put my hands on my quads to activate them through reciprocal inhibition when I'm holding a bar in my hands. So I was thinking of adding lunges and step-ups just to make sure I'm hitting them.

Also, I'm not sure about the wisdom of doing front and then back squats in the same WO, I feel like I'd have gone heavier on back squats if I hadn't already done 25. My quads were shot.

The lowness of these #s is only indicative of time out of the gym.

Chris Forbis
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Notes: I don't think my glutes are activating and I'm not sure how to fix it; I can't really put my hands on my quads to activate them through reciprocal inhibition when I'm holding a bar in my hands. So I was thinking of adding lunges and step-ups just to make sure I'm hitting them.

Glute bridges?

On a recommendation from Shaf, I tried doing them prior to squatting. I like them.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/fitness/fitness.aspx?id=323

I do them with a belt around my knees that I push out on with my legs whiel doing

Yael Grauer
01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Cool, thanks for the reminder. I do them every day, but at night. I should start doing them before squatting.

Yael Grauer
01-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Some MMA, and then I just did some Grav work again, working my way up to 60# assist. Tomorrow I'll do standing presses and bench or incline presses.

Yael Grauer
01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
standing press 5X5 45#, 50#, 45#, 50#, 45#
bench press, with dumbbells, 20# (or is it 40?), 20, 15, 15, 15
more wannabe pullups

Missed MMA yesterday and didn't train because I was still kinda sore. Trying to take good care of myself. I've been doing crazy shit lately like not staying up until 2 AM to write lesson plans and going to bed instead, or cooking and eating good nutritious food instead of grading papers. Imagine that!

My diet is slowly but steadily improving. Yesterday I had this awesome chicken onion chickpea dinner and today was a nice buffalo steak with sauteed onions, a balsamic vinagrette sauce and some carrots. Mmmm mmmm good!

Yael Grauer
01-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Went on a nice two-hour hike. Nice active recovery. I'm not that sore so I'll go to MMA tomorrow night.

Yael Grauer
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Missed MMA so that I could drive to Phx b/c I found a place to crash. I went to this awesome amazing inspiring poetry workshop in Scottsdale this morning and then stopped by Mesa on my way home to work out at Micela's gym. He said my starting and ending positions are really good and my shoulder flexibility is good but 1) I've been doing a lot of above the knee lifts and it shows--I need to do more below the knee and move my knees out of the way 2) still having trouble mostly in my snatch but also in my clean in getting my elbows high enough and then that next transition (and also in keeping the bar close to my body) 3) i need to work more behind-the-neck jerks. So it was fun, not a lot of weight, form form form form form. Not sure whether I'll go to the gym tonight or not; tons of grading to get caught up with.

sarena kopciel
01-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Missed MMA so that I could drive to Phx b/c I found a place to crash. I went to this awesome amazing inspiring poetry workshop in Scottsdale this morning and then stopped by Mesa on my way home to work out at Micela's gym. He said my starting and ending positions are really good and my shoulder flexibility is good but 1) I've been doing a lot of above the knee lifts and it shows--I need to do more below the knee and move my knees out of the way 2) still having trouble mostly in my snatch but also in my clean in getting my elbows high enough and then that next transition (and also in keeping the bar close to my body) 3) i need to work more behind-the-neck jerks. So it was fun, not a lot of weight, form form form form form. Not sure whether I'll go to the gym tonight or not; tons of grading to get caught up with.

Sounds like fun at the Oly gym!

Yael Grauer
01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Sounds like fun at the Oly gym!

It was really cool. And the workshop was awesome as well. I had the perfect day!! Now if only I could spend every day writing and lifting instead of working. lol

Allen Yeh
01-16-2008, 09:05 AM
It was really cool. And the workshop was awesome as well. I had the perfect day!! Now if only I could spend every day writing and lifting instead of working. lol

Just find a way to capitilize on both :p

Yael Grauer
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Just find a way to capitilize on both :p

Heh. Well, the workshop did inspire me to start a new art project, which is going to be one collage a day until the end of the school year. I am starting out with found object collages with objects found in my classroom. The project is called 129 Days because that's how long I have in my contract. You can check it out here: http://onetwentyninedays.blogspot.com/

Oh, and since this is my workout log... I missed MMA because I spent four hours on the phone with tech support again. I hate Dell.

sarena kopciel
01-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Heh. Well, the workshop did inspire me to start a new art project, which is going to be one collage a day until the end of the school year. I am starting out with found object collages with objects found in my classroom. The project is called 129 Days because that's how long I have in my contract. You can check it out here: http://onetwentyninedays.blogspot.com/

Oh, and since this is my workout log... I missed MMA because I spent four hours on the phone with tech support again. I hate Dell.

Your project looks cool!

Dave Paton
01-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Yael,

Are you a teacher? What grade and subject? Also, are you enjoying it? I have been thinking of making a career change into teaching.

Yael Grauer
01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Your project looks cool!

Heh, thanks! I'm a bit of a nutcase but I'm hoping it'll make school more fun and help me make it through the school year. My new education prof at the CC told me that she honestly believes that it is an injustice to me to have been placed in a school as a teacher intern when the school does not have a stable environment. She's a longtime teacher and school administrator and believes that the system itself loses new teachers because of improper placements. So I'm just trying to get through the year...

sarena kopciel
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Heh, thanks! I'm a bit of a nutcase but I'm hoping it'll make school more fun and help me make it through the school year. My new education prof at the CC told me that she honestly believes that it is an injustice to me to have been placed in a school as a teacher intern when the school does not have a stable environment. She's a longtime teacher and school administrator and believes that the system itself loses new teachers because of improper placements. So I'm just trying to get through the year...

I hear ya. I started as PE/yoga teacher this year at a school for kids with special needs. I am leaving as of Feb. The job was supposed to be 3x wk with 5 classes. They gave me 2xwk/9 classes. That quickly broke down to 1x/9 classes and 1x/7 classes. That too is too much with everything else in my life including a few social work cases, teaching 3x week adult yoga, my personal family obligations (5 kids in Israel with 1 grandkid and one more on the way) and training! I just know that come May I will need a few weeks off since my daughter is having her first babe and I want to be around to help her and know I cant take off from school at the end of the school year!!
Also it has been taking its toll on my body--running after 80+ kids! I am turning 46 next week. At one time, it would have been the best position for me!!

Yael Grauer
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe you could start an art project, too!

Keep checking the blog. Today will be interesting--I found some great stuff! Who knew 8th graders were so good at origami?

Yael Grauer
01-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Yael,

Are you a teacher? What grade and subject? Also, are you enjoying it? I have been thinking of making a career change into teaching.

1. Yes.
2. 8th grade Language Arts and Reading
3. No, but it is probably due more to circumstances than the profession itself.

E-mail me if you want to talk shop. :) And check out Harry Wong's course before you ever step foot in a classroom!!!

Also I am still accepting donations. :) www.adoptaclassroom.org

Yael Grauer
01-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Deadlifting up to 115
clean focusing on form up to 70 I think, or was it 80?
snatch focusing on form up to 30
eh
I did way too many reps but it was fun.

Yael Grauer
01-19-2008, 11:22 PM
My boyfriend and I took some girth and caliper measurements and some pictures; we're both trying to get in better shape. Anyway, I compared my #s to what they were in mid-July and I'm pleased to say that I've lost 13 lbs. of fat and gained 2 lbs of lean body mass, and my body fat percentage is now down 7.4% from what it was.

sarena kopciel
01-20-2008, 04:33 AM
My boyfriend and I took some girth and caliper measurements and some pictures; we're both trying to get in better shape. Anyway, I compared my #s to what they were in mid-July and I'm pleased to say that I've lost 13 lbs. of fat and gained 2 lbs of lean body mass, and my body fat percentage is now down 7.4% from what it was.

That is freakin awesome!!
:)

Yael Grauer
01-20-2008, 07:49 AM
That is freakin awesome!!
:)

Thanks! It was 27.7 and now it's 20.3....which is still way too high but a marked improvement. Since I lost way more fat than I gained muscle I think the change has mostly been due to a slightly improved diet, so now I just have to be more consistent in the gym. Which is hard because my recovery isn't that great, partially because I'm under so much stress.

Yael Grauer
01-21-2008, 07:49 PM
So of course they cancel MMA and nobody tells me, but I did miss class on Wednesday when they probably announced it... but I was on the phone with Dell for the requisite ten hours and besides, nobody'll roll with me anyway.

So at the gym with MMA clothes on and no Olylifting shoes. I did front squats, worked my way up to 3 X 100.

Allen Yeh
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
So of course they cancel MMA and nobody tells me, but I did miss class on Wednesday when they probably announced it... but I was on the phone with Dell for the requisite ten hours and besides, nobody'll roll with me anyway.

So at the gym with MMA clothes on and no Olylifting shoes. I did front squats, worked my way up to 3 X 100.

d'oh! Next time just do some Tabata FS's as punishment ;)

Yael Grauer
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
d'oh! Next time just do some Tabata FS's as punishment ;)

Punishment for what?

Incidentally, I'd like to know if anybody really does front and back squats in the same workout and how... I'm thinking of just alternating.

Dave Paton
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
If you look at Gayle Hatch's squat template--you can find it at Mikesgym--the program has the lifter doing back and front squats the same day and TWICE a week. I went through a cycle last year. it's fairly tough. However, I am not good at knowing my best squat to base the %s off of. So I think I was doing lighter weight than what i should've been doing. Anyway, check it out. Coach B makes the claim that if you do the squat program, you can't expect to go full bore with the classic lifts.

Yael Grauer
01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
And the ME black box has front and back squats on the same day. But since they both work the quads and glutes, I'm not sure what the point is? I can get slightly more weight on back squats but of course front squats would probably transfer better to Olylifting.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Depending how you do your back squats there will be a slightly different stimulus than doing the front squats. If we are talking about the ME black box stuff I'd assume they want low-bar PL style squat as opposed to the high bar Oly squat.

That is not to say I'd recommend doing both on the same day as a program for any amount of time unless you like being so wobbly it's hard to walk.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Punishment for what?

Incidentally, I'd like to know if anybody really does front and back squats in the same workout and how... I'm thinking of just alternating.

For missing MMA heh.

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 06:25 AM
For missing MMA heh.

Well, it's complicated.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Well, it's complicated.

I know being on hold with computer techs sucks. I was just giving you shit :p

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I know being on hold with computer techs sucks. I was just giving you shit :p

And it might just be me, but I guess I'm just getting the distinct impression that nobody wants to roll with me. :(

John Alston
01-22-2008, 09:16 AM

I used to sometimes. After, say, a 5x5 back squat session, when unloading the bar, maybe pump out a set of front squats, unload a little more then another set, or maybe just a quick 3 sets at some lighter weight.
Can be kind of great to totally blast the quads like that.

Allen Yeh
01-22-2008, 11:09 AM
And it might just be me, but I guess I'm just getting the distinct impression that nobody wants to roll with me. :(

Why?

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Why?

I don't know... Maybe I am paranoid? We have the best coach in the whole world and all the guys at my gym are really great, and yet he kind of picks out who he wants to roll with who... Last time I went I was supposed to roll with these two guys and when I asked one of them if he wanted to roll he said he was taking a break and then immediately started rolling with someone else. He's a really cool guy and a great athlete and has taught me a ton when I've worked with him, but I think he was looking for more of a challenge. Which is perfectly reasonable. But I'm never going to get any better unless I get more mat time... And I can see our coach's point in picking who rolls with who--some of the guys are so humongous that I don't even really think there'd be any point in rolling with them, and of course there's also guys training for fights that need a lot more attention. And there's also the fact that I stopped going for a long time and that most of the classes I've shown up for have been cancelled... I know I should be more consistent if I ever want anyone to take me seriously, but when I wonder why things always come up on Mondays and Wednesdays I bet feeling like nobody wants to train with me has something to do with it. So I've decided I either need to deal with it and show up every class anyway for a while or find another sport. Or train with James again where everyone rolls with everyone. I just really love this coach though--he's SO incredibly skilled and he puts out really great fighters.

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I used to sometimes. After, say, a 5x5 back squat session, when unloading the bar, maybe pump out a set of front squats, unload a little more then another set, or maybe just a quick 3 sets at some lighter weight.
Can be kind of great to totally blast the quads like that.

My legs don't even hurt today so I guess I should've gone harder.

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
shoulder presses
40 X 3
50 X 3
55 X 3
60 X 2
60 X 1
55 X 2
55 X 1

pullups w/ assist
all over again
5 w/ 60#
3 w/ 57.5#
3 w/ 57.5#
2 w/ 55#
2 w/ 52.5#

dumbbell incline bench press
3 X 20# (is this how you write it if they're 20# each?)
3 X 25#
3 X 30#
3 X 30#
3 X 25#

Notes: Should've taken more rest between sets, but I was trying to get to this dinner thing.

Yael Grauer
01-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Went to MMA. It was so much fun and I got to roll quite a bit. Turns out that big tough guy at my gym that I didn't want to roll with because I didn't want to die was Don Frye, so of course that would change the dynamic a little. I think it was just the combination of guys that were there last week. I'm just trying to build rapport with everyone at my gym so they'll roll with me even if it's not a huge challenge and they don't get a great workout. I'm also trying to get there early and stay late and help set up and all that. Everyone's so cool though and I got to work some really great figure 4's and arm bars and things. Also our coach is the best ever.

sarena kopciel
01-24-2008, 03:15 AM
I am super glad your for that it's all turning out OK!! Good times, make memories!

Allen Yeh
01-24-2008, 03:23 AM
Went to MMA. It was so much fun and I got to roll quite a bit. Turns out that big tough guy at my gym that I didn't want to roll with because I didn't want to die was Don Frye, so of course that would change the dynamic a little. I think it was just the combination of guys that were there last week. I'm just trying to build rapport with everyone at my gym so they'll roll with me even if it's not a huge challenge and they don't get a great workout. I'm also trying to get there early and stay late and help set up and all that. Everyone's so cool though and I got to work some really great figure 4's and arm bars and things. Also our coach is the best ever.

Wow Don Frye, very cool.

Yael Grauer
01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I was scheduled to do cleans and such today, but I'm still really sore so decided not to drag myself to the gym for no reason. Did ten mb cleans at home with this great 20# ball James made for me and then I did 30 situps. My abs and butt are really sore which is a good sign b/c at least they're firing off a little.

Yael Grauer
01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow Don Frye, very cool.

I was wondering why this one guy was looking at me funny when I was rooting for the other guy during open mat. lol.

Yael Grauer
01-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Another rest day. I guess yesterday wasn't entirely a rest day. I wonder about the wisdom of only working out when I'm not sore, but in theory I won't be sore for more than a day or two in a row in the future...and I think it might be too soon to push it with active recovery since I'm just starting to work out more consistently.

Yael Grauer
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
26 + 27 were both rest days. I felt okay on Sunday but I knew I was going to sweat lodge so I didn't want to push it too much. Today I went to MMA and got to roll with like three different guys but we mostly focused on technique and I didn't get much of a workout... One dude is training for a fight and everyone just wanted to roll with him... He's really good too! Anyway, one guy I rolled with did say I was moving better because I'm moving more but I'm still kind of off balance and put my hip down too much. I left early after the little guys left because I knew nobody else was going to roll with me because they're all, like, huge. So I did barefoot clean and jerks working up to only like 70 but at least I used bumper plants... and hopefully it's okay to stack up regular tiny plates next to bumpers because my gym has limited bumper plate increments. They have one set of 10 lbs, one set of 10Ks, one set of 25 lbs, one set of 25Ks, some really big ones, and that's it. Meaning I can only lift like 65, 89, 95, 155.... I just added the tiny regular plates after the 10# bumpers and then throw on the collar...

I'm trying to pay attention to my diet but to be honest today was pretty awful. It looked sort of like...a bite of beef this morning, and fish oil, no lunch, oh but then someone gave me some candy and I ate that--two fun sized bags of M+Ms and some of those stupid candy hearts... so then I'm hungry and staying at school late because the work is neverending and get home starving, but I only keep super healthy nutritious food at home, except that I really need to go grocery shopping, so I put whatever I have left on the stove, which today happened to be buffalo burgers. I cooked like four and ate maybe three of them and some sweet potatoes. Went to MMA and now I'm starving but don't feel like eating beef again and since I live near Wild Oats I really just want to go and get one of those overpriced Newman's dark chocolate peanut butter cup things under the guise of post workout nutrition, but instead I am finishing the sweet potatoes and vegging. I need to start using my crockpot again before I have a fit of insanity. I have no idea how I lose weight on my diet, but I think it is because I am eating a lot of protein, doing limited carbs instead of carbs AND sugar, and because I am doing some defacto intermittent fasting due to time constraints. Except it's IF with random sugar fixes. I dunno.

sarena kopciel
01-29-2008, 02:41 AM
26 + 27 were both rest days. I felt okay on Sunday but I knew I was going to sweat lodge so I didn't want

I'm trying to pay attention to my diet but to be honest today was pretty awful. It looked sort of like...a bite of beef this morning, and fish oil, no lunch, oh but then someone gave me some candy and I ate that--two fun sized bags of M+Ms and some of those stupid candy hearts... so then I'm hungry and staying at school late because the work is neverending and get home starving, but I only keep super healthy nutritious food at home, except that I really need to go grocery shopping, so I put whatever I have left on the stove, which today happened to be buffalo burgers. I cooked like four and ate maybe three of them and some sweet potatoes. Went to MMA and now I'm starving but don't feel like eating beef again and since I live near Wild Oats I really just want to go and get one of those overpriced Newman's dark chocolate peanut butter cup things under the guise of post workout nutrition, but instead I am finishing the sweet potatoes and vegging. I need to start using my crockpot again before I have a fit of insanity. I have no idea how I lose weight on my diet, but I think it is because I am eating a lot of protein, doing limited carbs instead of carbs AND sugar, and because I am doing some defacto intermittent fasting due to time constraints. Except it's IF with random sugar fixes. I dunno.

First off listening to your body and resting is vital. About the nutrition aspect, just go on the weekend to the store and stock up the house. even buy some of those tin packets of wild tuna and salmon and some sardines and keep some in your drawer at work with some nuts! Broil up some chicken breast on weekends. Be prepared. Last night I broiled buffalo burgers for dinner and made an extra two for my brown bag lunch with some stir fry veggies. Be consistent and prepared. Sure beats the sugar rush of candy!!

Robb Wolf had a great shopping/planning list on his blog the other day. Check it out (http://robbwolf.com/?p=71)!

Yael Grauer
01-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Robb Wolf had a great shopping/planning list on his blog the other day. Check it out (http://robbwolf.com/?p=71)!

Yeah, I saw that. I have my own list too. The problem is TIME. Right now I'm hopelessly behind on grading. I got to school at 7:30 to finish prepping (photocopying etc.) and stayed until like 6:30 or so to finish planning for today. I still have to grade and enter. And I've been meeting with parents of failing kiddos to the tune of two a day. Plus they make me sub during my prep period. And I have my coursework. And I work out and have MMA and keep my house clean. And over the weekend I was absolutely swamped and couldn't catch up. And I've been sleeping, which is really screwing everything up.I need to start keeping a time log. Tonight I have no workshops but a friend I haven't seen in like two years wants to get coffee at 8. I'm hoping to leave school early so I can get home in time to do at least three hours of grading before then, but I have to prep for tomorrow. It's this neverending cycle...

Yael Grauer
01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
If yesterday's random c+js after MMA counts as Olylift day, today is squat day, but my shoulders are kinda tight and so I'm gonna take a day off. Tomorrow is MMA again and so I want to rest up anyway... plus limited time again.

Yael Grauer
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Went to MMA and worked on different armbars (keylocks, kimuras, etc.) it was just me and one other guy, but after we were all done I asked him if he wanted to roll. I was pretty psyched because he outweighs me but I still had him scrambling and almost got a submission. He said if I'd put more power behind it I would've gotten it. Of course, he also said it was because he underestimated me. But even our coach said it was the best he'd ever seen me move. Still I want to go to SBGi for a week in March and I need to get the basics down if I don't want to waste time and money. I called James up again and asked him if we could do some private sessions in his garage just so I can get more time on the mat--I think the more time rolling I get the more comfortable I'll feel. My big problems are my stance isn't wide enough and I don't use my weight effectively; I give people too much space. And I just need more time. Another problem is that I don't learn visually so if someone shows me something I need to do it fifty times and have them correct me if I want to get it. That damn kinesthetic learning style. I dunno.

Anyway, after rolling I worked on deadlift high pulls. I want 75 but could only comfortably do 70, which means that the weak point in my cleans is getting my elbows up I think. I should do more high pulls with less weight.

I'm also not quite sleeping enough due to early morning parent conferences and things like...the rest of my life.

Yael Grauer
02-02-2008, 03:28 PM
front squat
45 X 5 (warmup)
65 X 3
85 X 3
95 X 3
105 X 3
110 X 2
115 X 3
120 X 1

I slept ten hours last night and then went to the gym today to work on front squats. John Pena (my hero!) was there and pointed out to me that I was pausing at the bottom of my squat. So I tried it again without pausing and it felt a lot better.

It is so cool to go to a gym with powerlifters. I have no interest in powerlifting myself but just being around people who are serious about their training creates this awesome environment. Anyway he came up to me halfway through my session and told me I had to really want it and even spotted for a few gos. I think that's how I worked my way up to 120. I weigh 135 so of course I want a bw front squat but I'll get there soon. I think my PR used to be 125, which I'm sure I could've gotten if I'd hung out less at the 65/85 range. Also I weighed around 145 when I got 125 and now I weigh 135. (Excuses, excuses.)

I also did max pullups at 45# assist.

sarena kopciel
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
front squat
45 X 5 (warmup)
65 X 3
85 X 3
95 X 3
105 X 3
110 X 2
115 X 3
120 X 1

I slept ten hours last night and then went to the gym today to work on front squats. John Pena (my hero!) was there and pointed out to me that I was pausing at the bottom of my squat. So I tried it again without pausing and it felt a lot better.

It is so cool to go to a gym with powerlifters. I have no interest in powerlifting myself but just being around people who are serious about their training creates this awesome environment. Anyway he came up to me halfway through my session and told me I had to really want it and even spotted for a few gos. I think that's how I worked my way up to 120. I weigh 135 so of course I want a bw front squat but I'll get there soon. I think my PR used to be 125, which I'm sure I could've gotten if I'd hung out less at the 65/85 range. Also I weighed around 145 when I got 125 and now I weigh 135. (Excuses, excuses.)

I also did max pullups at 45# assist.

Nice work on the sleep and FS! Try to rest up all weekend eh??

Yael Grauer
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Nice work on the sleep and FS! Try to rest up all weekend eh??

I got eight hours last night AND I went grocery shopping. :)

sarena kopciel
02-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I got eight hours last night AND I went grocery shopping. :)

Way to go!
I just got back from first Oly meet and got a medal too!! Feel awesome!

Yael Grauer
02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Way to go!
I just got back from first Oly meet and got a medal too!! Feel awesome!

Congratulations!!!

I found a place I could do MMA and/or judo at a couple days a week by donation, so I'm excited to have more people to roll with. AND I got an e-mail from this gal who does Olylifting who may want to train with me! Life is good. :) Even teaching is getting easier...

sarena kopciel
02-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Congratulations!!!

I found a place I could do MMA and/or judo at a couple days a week by donation, so I'm excited to have more people to roll with. AND I got an e-mail from this gal who does Olylifting who may want to train with me! Life is good. :) Even teaching is getting easier...

Nice!! Hope that works out for you!! Stay strong, eat well, try to up the sleep and continue to SMILE!!

Yael Grauer
02-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice!! Hope that works out for you!! Stay strong, eat well, try to up the sleep and continue to SMILE!!

LOL. My students call me "Smiley." They say I am constantly smiling, even when I am yelling at them. It pisses them off.

Yael Grauer
02-04-2008, 11:12 PM
MMA today. I got to roll a lot a lot a lot a lot. Luckily there is one really cool guy there that will notice if there is an odd number and everyone immediately pairs off except for me and will find a way to work me in. That combined with my newfound very aggressive approach--like yelling, "hey, ______ (fill in the blank)" and pointing to the mat--ensures that I get to roll continuously unless I am so incredibly out of breath and gasping for air. Life is good. Felt pretty strong today, too. I need to work on relaxing instead of tensing up, keep working on wide base and damn there's one guy with an unpassable guard...

sarena kopciel
02-05-2008, 03:47 AM
LOL. My students call me "Smiley." They say I am constantly smiling, even when I am yelling at them. It pisses them off.

Never even saw a pic of you and knew you were smiling!! Nice work on asking for "partners"--keep up the aggressiveness in the positive way! :)

Yael Grauer
02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Much-needed rest day today. I got a massage, which is a luxury I allow myself maybe twice a year (on whim). I guess my shoulder is okay! He just did some trigger point work and massaged it a bit and it felt as good as new. Honestly, my legs have been sore since I did that 120# squat on Saturday but he worked some of that out as well. And then he did the dreaded psoas work. Luckily my glutes were really tight, which means they are firing off somewhat. I need to keep working them though. More lunges! My right side is worse.

I've been keeping a time log to figure out where my time goes, and am learning a lot about myself. First, I learned that 9.5 hours a day, six days a week, is the max I can spend on schoolwork before I start rebelling. I also learned that time constraints are not the reason I spend my lunch hour in my classroom--it's because I just can't deal with the perpetual ongoing vent fest going on in the lounge. It is so hard not to feed into it when I am there, a realization that became apparent when I took my guest speaker there today. I am sure it is unhealthy for things like digestion, stress level, etc. even though I feel isolated in my classroom sometimes too (and students get upset when I won't let them in my room when I am there--but it's my frickin' break...) Plus my coworkers already look at me like I'm from Mars because I tell them strange things like that I enjoy staff meetings because I learn a lot. lol. Anyway, I need to get a fridge for my room or something. I thought it was a time thing but it's just not.

Allen Yeh
02-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Much-needed rest day today. I got a massage, which is a luxury I allow myself maybe twice a year (on whim). I guess my shoulder is okay! He just did some trigger point work and massaged it a bit and it felt as good as new. Honestly, my legs have been sore since I did that 120# squat on Saturday but he worked some of that out as well. And then he did the dreaded psoas work. Luckily my glutes were really tight, which means they are firing off somewhat. I need to keep working them though. More lunges! My right side is worse.

RE: Glute firing

Something I do occasionally is when I walk I make sure my glutes are firing. When the heel comes down, squeeze the glute of that leg.

Yael Grauer
02-06-2008, 05:41 AM
RE: Glute firing

Something I do occasionally is when I walk I make sure my glutes are firing. When the heel comes down, squeeze the glute of that leg.

Yeah, I do that too when I walk, and put my hand on my quads for reciprocal inhibition and all that. It's just that my quads are too tight and there's tension in my psoas and that anterior pelvic tilt thing. I need more lunges and deadlifts.

Yael Grauer
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Missed MMA yesterday because I was trying to take car of the whole brakes going out while I was driving home thing. I didn't work out today either because I didn't want to ride my bike to the gym, though it may have been worth it.

Yael Grauer
02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I am still carless so very limited workouts; was surprised at how tired my legs got from a 3-mi (round trip) bike ride yesterday (and how uncomfortable the seat was! I rode that thing all over town for years and never noticed--even went without a car for a whole year). Did some running this morning...but not very far. I want to go to MMA tomorrow; hopefully my car will be done by then.

sarena kopciel
02-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I am still carless so very limited workouts; was surprised at how tired my legs got from a 3-mi (round trip) bike ride yesterday (and how uncomfortable the seat was! I rode that thing all over town for years and never noticed--even went without a car for a whole year). Did some running this morning...but not very far. I want to go to MMA tomorrow; hopefully my car will be done by then.

Can you do some squats/situps/pushup reps. Perhaps 25ea x3? or 10eax5.
anything is better than nothing!!
Hows the eating going? Any prep work get done for school?? Food/materials wise?
Hope the car gets back to help ya out!!

Yael Grauer
02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
I decided to go back to the O-lifting routine in a few weeks. By then I'll hopefully meet my goals... I decided just to go for "intermediate" in the basic strength standards for 132 lbs (I'm 135 now). It says 65 press (my last one was 60), 92 power clean (I'm at 70 or 80 regular clean), 127 squat--I'm assuming back squat (I'm at 120 front squat), 159 dead (my last was 115 but I didn't push myself, my PR is 187), and 95 bench (which is the toughie as I'm doing maybe 60# with dumbbells...but they do say that it should only be 80% with db's, so all I need to do is get those 30 lb-ers to 40 lb-ers). So anyway I think it's do-able if I knock them out one at a time and then get prepared to switch back to a Micela-style Olylifting program.

Yael Grauer
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Got a 65 press (two reps!) and went to MMA. It went well; I actually got to roll with this big guy which I was kinda nervous about but he was nice and didn't kill me.

Yael Grauer
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Skipped the gym because today was insanely stressful and I still have a ton of work to do.

I did finally find jeans that fit though!! Converse One-Stars. I have to wear a belt because they are a teeny bit loose around the waist but nothing too bad.

Yael Grauer
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I lied. I went to the gym anyway because I knew I needed the adrenaline rush to stay up late and get up early, which is what I need to get done with everything I need to do.

I did db bench presses up to 60# (30# each) and was disappointed I couldn't go higher. Even my pullups were low--I needed 45# assist today. I also threw in 20 medicine ball cleans (20# ball) for good measure.

I have been thinking a lot about women in Paleo times and how different it must be than for men, and would that effect anything in terms of evolutionary biology between men and women. So for example, I got up at 6 AM so that I could get some lesson plans done before work, had to sub during my planning period, had to print out progress reports during my lunch because I found out they had to go home that same day, then after school people knocked on my door for tutoring, and so basically I worked non-stop from about 6 to 5 today (including driving and getting ready) and I am still not done. Took a break because I can only do so much in a row, but I need to fold and put more reports in envelopes, plan the next lesson, do some grading so I won't get super behind, and of course I went to the gym and got dinner done and I have to clean my house. Tomorrow I have to get up around 5 so that I can meet someone super early in the morning, and I have a video I need to watch before then as part of my assignment--she wanted me to see some scene in this super-long movie. I drank coffee to keep myself going...

So I got to thinking how this is a lot of work I can't necessarily get out of, but how different is it really from Paleo woman? I know that anybody who has ever had a baby (let alone many babies) is far from likely to get 9 hours of sleep a night, and somehow I wonder whether weaving cloth and baskets from plant fibers would take more energy than occasional hunting, or carrying baby slings while climbing tall mountains to gather food and medicine not being able to be "finished" during daylight, for example. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I wonder if Paleolithic woman was as sleep-deprived as I sometimes am. I have a feeling Paleo woman did more work than Paleo man.

Chris Forbis
02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
Jared Diamond talks about gender inequity as a result of agriculture near the end of this essay.

"Farming may have encouraged inequality between the sexes, as well. Freed from the need to transport their babies during a nomadic existence, and under pressure to produce more hands to till the fields, farming women tended to have more frequent pregnancies than their hunter-gatherer counterparts-- with consequent drains on their health. Among the Chilean mummies, for example, more women than men had bone lesions from infectious disease.

Women in agricultural societies were sometimes made beasts of burden. In New Guinea farming communities today, I often see women staggering under loads of vegetables and firewood while the men walk empty-handed. Once while on a field trip there studying birds, I offered to pay some villagers to carry supplies from an airstrip to my mountain camp. The heaviest item was a 110 pound bag of rice, which I lashed to a pole and assigned a team of four men to shoulder together. When I eventually caught up with the villagers, the men were carrying light loads, while one small woman weighing less than the bag of rice was bent under it, supporting its weight by a cord across her temples."

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdf

Yael Grauer
02-13-2008, 05:13 AM
That's interesting. I guess I'm unconvinced that it's just due to agriculture. I know in different tribes there was a division of labor in which women did more work, but I was always okay with that because the men were the ones who were standing guard. The women did practically everything else: building the houses, cooking the meals, feeding the children, gathering food for the children, basketry, weaving, making pottery, gathering and purifying water, feeding the men, etc. And this was in pre and post-agricultural times.

I'd prefer doing women's work to getting eaten by a lion, however.

Yael Grauer
02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Took off from MMA yesterday because I desperately needed the sleep. I probably won't have time to go to the gym today either because I am cooking a really nice dinner.

Yael Grauer
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
I went to MMA. God damn it sucks being a 135-lb female in a room full of 215-lb guys. Our smallest guy is 160 and he's a scrappy motherfucker--really strong and tenacious. I think it jumps up to like 205 after him. My coach says I try more new things than the guys and he likes that, and he says I'm moving better--but I don't feel like I'm moving better or learning much of anything. I don't think it's anyone's fault or anything it's just what happens. I've started rolling with the big guys though and so at least I get some more time in. There's only like a couple guys there that won't roll with me. Everyone is super nice, if a little oblivious, but I guess all I ever notice is "I just sat out three rounds, hello!!" When I point it out people will always go out of their way to roll with me, but I just feel like I'm not getting enough time in on the mat.

I'm thinking of either judo or BJJ...probably the only two arts I still respect and there's a more balanced male to female ratio.

Yael Grauer
02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
oh yeah, i decided to step it up a notch and keep my food log again, too.

breakfast: eggs and chicken sausage links, fish oil and salt sole (and various homeopathics)

lunch: wild rice soup

dinner: a banana, some carrot sticks with raw almond butter, chicken and broccoli with a little kimchee

pwo: an apple, more carrot sticks and almond butter, wobenzym, an epsom salt bath :)

throughout the day: bioplasma

This was almost a perfect day. I could've done the wild rice soup post-workout but at least it's not wheat, and it was leftsovers from my V-day dinner...

Yael Grauer
02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
breakfast: stew beef cooked with asparagus and avocado
lunch: damn it, a student brought me two pieces of cake her aunt baked for me
dinner: mixed greens with chicken, bacon and avocado, and vinegar
snacks: a banana, carrot sticks with almond butter

pretty good except for the cake, at least i threw out the bread in what was supposed to be a bacon/chicken/avocado sandwich

sarena kopciel
02-20-2008, 03:38 AM
nice effort. its so much easier to stick to it when writing it all down in a log! after my trips, I gotta get back to it as well. foods been all good but perhaps a bit much.

Yael Grauer
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I got a private session with James, and he said my ground game's really improved; I'm a lot tighter and I'm trying more things. So that was good to hear, since I haven't trained with him in a long time and since I was starting to feel like I'm not really doing much when I train other than getting a ridiculous amount of bruises (to the point where I have to make it a point to cover up in public.) Anyway James gave me some really good ideas of things to try and work on. I also decided if I get sat out for more than a round at my gym I'm just going to do drills on my own, so I've been working a few I know. I was thinking of getting the Grappling Drills DVD. But I got to roll quite a bit today, so that was cool... I trained with James pretty light for about an hour and a half and then was at the gym for about an hour and a half but probably only got in about 20 minutes of rolling. I'm working on different ways to get past guard, out of half guard, things to do in guard, etc. and drills to get my hips moving better...

Oh yeah, meals today included a smoothie (1 cup raw milk, 2 raw eggs, a banana and Berrygreens), chicken and carrot sticks with almond butter, a random avocado, and then my post-workout meal was sushi (brown rice), an orange and one of those chocolate Larabars or Maya bars or whatever.

And I decided I wanted to look like this chick: http://www.musclewithattitude.com/article/most_recent/3_fat_loss_steps&s=email

Yael Grauer
02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I am sore and cold and tired and have been sleeping on and off all day. I love Heilkunst but the healing reactions are a mother$#$%^@. I mean, I guess when you take out the trash it starts to stink but man. I actually went and bought cold medicine, and ice cream. Not sure if I'll use either.

I had miso soup (minus the tofu) and hot ginger tea for breakfast, beef stew chunks, a banana, an avocado, and that's about it. It hurts to swallow.

Yael Grauer
02-23-2008, 06:05 PM
yesterday i made my boyfriend drive me to this Vietnamese restaurant, where i ate some kind of beef stew i always get when i am sick. it has rice noodles but also other things like tendon and tripe and such that are supposed to be good for you or something. but i mostly only ate the broth because it hurt to swallow.

today i ate half a glass of milk for breakfast, and then i went to this girl bike class (i had to get out of my house after sleeping for 15 hours) where i rode about 9 miles or so and also got lunch at brueggers. lunch consisted of a build-your-own salad (no bagel) with chicken and stuff and also a thing of OJ. and then i got a purple popsicle when i went to urgent care. now i am trying to eat some soup but it still hurts to swallow. i actually went and got antibiotics for the first time in eight years. they tried to give me some steroids too but i refused, oh and they wanted me to get injectable antibiotics but i refused when they told me they didn't know if there was thimerosol in there. also i get to go buy ice cream and hard candy and take two days off from work. doctor's orders.

sarena kopciel
02-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Wow I hope you feel better real quick! Whats going on? Maybe new teachersyndrome??

Chris Forbis
02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Wow I hope you feel better real quick! Whats going on? Maybe new teachersyndrome??

I am in my fourth year, and I always start to experience some degree of burnout this time of year. It is not quite as bad this year, since I'm not coaching basketball and I've done this before... but spring break can't get here soon enough (13 more days of classes!).

Yael Grauer
02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
I am in my fourth year, and I always start to experience some degree of burnout this time of year. It is not quite as bad this year, since I'm not coaching basketball and I've done this before... but spring break can't get here soon enough (13 more days of classes!).

I'm actually a lot less stressed out after winter break. The school is driving me nuts by making us test incessantly (why don't we just quit teaching and look at numbers instead?) but I think this is just an accumulation of stress/sleep deprivation/healing reactions/etc.

A lot of time what doctors call strep is just inflammation, which I think is what it is in this case, and they see that and want to control it so badly, which is why they tried to give me steroids and biocillin even when I tested negative for strep. There's a book I want to pick up called How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite Of Your Doctor by Robert Mendhelson which I've heard has a chapter on strep and why docs think every sore throat is strep and what strep really is.

I really like swallowing so decided just to do antibiotics for now anyway but hopefully when my Heilkunstler gets back in town I'll figure out what's really going on.

sarena kopciel
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm actually a lot less stressed out after winter break. The school is driving me nuts by making us test incessantly (why don't we just quit teaching and look at numbers instead?) but I think this is just an accumulation of stress/sleep deprivation/healing reactions/etc.

A lot of time what doctors call strep is just inflammation, which I think is what it is in this case, and they see that and want to control it so badly, which is why they tried to give me steroids and biocillin even when I tested negative for strep. There's a book I want to pick up called How To Raise A Healthy Child In Spite Of Your Doctor by Robert Mendhelson which I've heard has a chapter on strep and why docs think every sore throat is strep and what strep really is.

I really like swallowing so decided just to do antibiotics for now anyway but hopefully when my Heilkunstler gets back in town I'll figure out what's really going on.

I actually raised my kids on that book Yael. Try gargling with peroxide. Tastes like hell but really kills anything lurking....

Yael Grauer
02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I actually raised my kids on that book Yael. Try gargling with peroxide. Tastes like hell but really kills anything lurking....

LOL! I did salt sole instead. :)

Tell me what the chapter on strep says though, if you have the chance! I used to get diagnosed with it constantly (like several times a year) and always got amoxicillin when I was growing up and eventually I got sick of it and started doing slippery elm tea instead.

Oh, if anyone knows what else is in biocillin injections (do they stick other crap in like they do in vaccines) and why docs want to give you steroids for a sore throat that may not even be strep, I'm all ears!!

I only slept 12 hours yesterday instead of 15 and my throat pain is diminishing (I am eating solid food again) so I am happy--though I think it's not the antibiotics since I only took 2 doses and it only took about 12 hours not 48. I am just happy that it is not mono because while I enjoyed the really hot doctor showing me where my spleen was (he touched my spleen!) I don't like the idea of rupturing it by doing contact sports and having to refrain for a whole month...

Yael Grauer
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
i actually lost like three lbs which i'm hoping is not muscle, but after eating maybe a pint of ben and jerry's plus a large cream de menthe shake from cold stone creamery over the course of being sick (plus OJ and more grains than usual) i'm guessing i probably haven't lost much fat. i guess it doesn't even really matter in the long run as long as i load up on the probiotics and emergen-c for now.

almost all of my (really huge) bruises are gone now or are yellow instead of red/black/blue/purple, so maybe i did just need the extra 30 hours of sleep or whatever.

I'm also gonna go to the botanical gardens.

sarena kopciel
02-24-2008, 01:51 PM
LOL! I did salt sole instead. :)

Tell me what the chapter on strep says though, if you have the chance! I used to get diagnosed with it constantly (like several times a year) and always got amoxicillin when I was growing up and eventually I got sick of it and started doing slippery elm tea instead.

Oh, if anyone knows what else is in biocillin injections (do they stick other crap in like they do in vaccines) and why docs want to give you steroids for a sore throat that may not even be strep, I'm all ears!!

I only slept 12 hours yesterday instead of 15 and my throat pain is diminishing (I am eating solid food again) so I am happy--though I think it's not the antibiotics since I only took 2 doses and it only took about 12 hours not 48. I am just happy that it is not mono because while I enjoyed the really hot doctor showing me where my spleen was (he touched my spleen!) I don't like the idea of rupturing it by doing contact sports and having to refrain for a whole month...

SLEEP is a wonderful healer as we all know> sorry i am away on vacation in europe and dont have the book handy! But totally glad you are doing better NOW!

And I am eating all paleo but oh so much. I am totally nauseated! I cant wait to get back home and be able to cook again myself!

Yael Grauer
02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
No worries. I'm gonna try to buy that book!

Well I am taking tomorrow off of work, and maybe Tuesday too, even though I might be better I guess I'm still contagious...

Today I ate the rest of my salad, some more of that soup, Emergen-C (the Lite no-sugar kind), some Girl Scout cookies someone gave me, herbal lozenges with zinc and vit. C, a banana, and a ton of water. Probably not as many calories as I should be getting, but I didn't really work out either...just took a nice long walk at the Botanical Gardens to soak in some sunshine...

It's hard to eat when I don't feel like it.

Yael Grauer
02-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I am kind of annoyed at my docs because they lied about how long it would take the throat culture back. They said up to 48 hours and now they are saying 72, so I won't even know 'til tomorrow night whether it is strep. Or what it is if it isn't strep. Or whether i keep taking penicillin if it isn't strep. Or how long I might be contagious and when I can go back to work.

Anyway, I got cool board shorts I can't wait to wear to class but no MMA tonight for me. They fit perfectly...

http://www.fightergirls.com/item.asp?ID=8

Yael Grauer
02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I decided to take tomorrow off work, even though I am feeling a bit better. I didn't train today but I was stable enough (as in, not too dizzy) to run some errands, etc. Still pretty worn out though. If I go back into the swing of things at the middle school tomorrow I worry that I'm going to get all stressed out again.

I have just about had it with the amount of hours I have to put into my job. It's not even for the students anymore, it's usually for the administration, or often somebody dictating to the administration, or the state dictating to the district, or something... I am not going to be totally thrown off center every time they overlook something (which is quite often) or decide it's absolutely crucial for us to do something completely different and unexpected immediately. So in order to keep my grounding I have to be more ready to deal with daily surprises. That means I need to be incredibly organized and overprepared. I also decided that if I want to keep my energy at a level where I am not getting sick I have to stop working constantly. I decided I would not work past 6 or 6:30 (depending on when I get up.) That will be my cut-off point. I also am not going to have lingering work. So anything that doesn't get done by that time doesn't get done. It is still roughly around 65 hours a week (if I give myself a weekend day off and don't work 12 hours on the other weekend day) so I need to either grade less, plan more efficiently, assign longer projects, SOMETHING that will allow me to eat, sleep, spend time with friends and loved ones, train hard and go to bed before 2. I am going to get at LEAST 7 hours of sleep a night, even if I have to take really small amounts of melatonin for the first few nights to get used to it.

So I'm not sure how I'm going to do all this, but I can't really afford NOT to--for my health, mental well-being and the sake of those around me... INCLUDING all of my students and coworkers who have to deal with me. I thought months ago I would just go to the gym on the way home from work and that would be like my cut-off area...like, it would separate work from home. I have just never stuck to that though. I train MMA at like 7:30 a couple nights a week, for one, and also I do not go to the gym every work day (though maybe I could start, even if it's just for a half hour or somethimg)... I also want to start riding my bike more. I did a Road 1 class which got me all excited about cycling again... I am going to write an article about it for my website sometime soon.

Anyway, I've just been kind of pissy lately and not from overtraining... I guess mostly at customer service people, but that is my gauge for myself... I mean it's ridiculous that Qwest can't figure out how to send me my new bill with the credits they should have given me back in December in it when I switched to Cox months ago, but normally I think I'd handle it better than I have been.

I just feel like with Heilkunst and my regimen and everything I've been SO much more grounded and balanced lately and I need to get this going in my work life too. Or else I could just be tired and stressed and pissed all the time and of no use to anyone around me. I'm just tired of it, of all the justifications I make to myself and to those around me for constant non-stop work. Or feeling guilty for reading a book for more than ten minutes or spending a half hour on the phone with my boyfriend. I should be able to eat dinner at night and maybe even watch a movie and go to bed at a decent hour AND work out instead of getting home, planning lessons, grading papers, entering/adding grades immediately, finding weird abstract information for someone somewhere, planning more lessons, etc. It is bad enough that I came to a school that had no curriculum, extremely limited materials, no department chair and now no paper... and now there is just SO much pressure... there is only so much we can do! I am so tired of testing my students to death; as if looking at a string of numbers over and over again will somehow improve their score. We are supposed to let our assessment results dictate instruction, but we have such limited time and more and more being thrown at us daily that it's impossible not to go completely insane. I'm surprised I didn't get sick sooner.

Anyway, I am going to use tomorrow to sleep more and to recover more and also to get so completely caught up in my paperwork for school that when I go in on Wednesday (HOPEFULLY I'll be 100% by then) that no matter what weird craziness happens I'll still be perfectly centered and done by 6:30. Then I will go do MMA at 7:30, eat a yummy post-workout meal (prepared in my crockpot), take a lukewarm bath with lavender essential oil and get to bed at a decent hour so I can wake up ready to take on the next day.

It is incredible that we are contracted for less than 40 hours a week, but I'm not complaining. I signed up for it.

No workout today. I did get bike shorts so I can ride more than 9 miles without excruciating butt pain. And I am eating turkey tenderloins and broccoli, but ate very little else today. Appetite still not quite there yet. I am working on it.

Tomorrow I don't want to push too hard but I want to do SOMEthing...maybe a short bike ride and also get a new read on measurements. I know I lost 2-3" off of my waist since I last posted them.

Chris Forbis
02-26-2008, 05:08 AM
You got to take care of yourself first. I quickly figured that out in my first year of teaching and made the adaptations necessary to get my working hours (and stress) down to a reasonable level. It sounds like you are on the right track...

Yael Grauer
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
You got to take care of yourself first. I quickly figured that out in my first year of teaching and made the adaptations necessary to get my working hours (and stress) down to a reasonable level. It sounds like you are on the right track...

I thought I had gotten my stress levels down a lot; I think I've improved from the beginning of the year. It's just that the state is putting pressure on the district is putting pressure on our administration is putting pressure on us, and I'm having trouble with the hoops we're having to jump through to try to accommodate. I love the idea of not working past 6:30 though; then I'll *know* I can relax for the rest of the night. And I'm thinking of putting together homeopathic melatonin for days I train MMA--because I train kind of late and end up staying up later those nights.

Anyway, meals today:
breakfast: three omega-3 eggs and broccoli, and some raw cheese on top
lunch: uh, did i eat lunch? i think i may have skipped it
dinner: ground beef cooked with all kinds of spices and powders, onion, green pepper and garlic
snacks: i admit to eating some chocolate cake and jelly beans. i try not to reward myself with food, but um, it happens...

I got my bike all powered up with freebies thanks to this kick-ass bike course i took, and my wonderful boyfriend who is damn good with his tools.

life is good.

no workout today other than taking multiple bags of trash out. i slept 9 hours which indicates to me that i needed the day off and that i can go back tomorrow.

Yael Grauer
02-27-2008, 09:13 PM
breakfast: a bit o' chicken
lunch: some ground beef i cooked up last night with onion and green pepper
dinner: more chicken soup stuff
snacks: peanut butter/mint chocolate cups, a Lunabar

I did MMA today; working on getting past guard. It was fun and I worked up a good sweat. I also got to try out my really sexy WOMEN'S BOARD SHORTS (there is such a thing!) which are awesome. They have drawstrings on the inside and a wide leg so you can still do Thai kicks. They are really designed for a women's body for a fucking change; I was happy.

Yael Grauer
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
yesterday i accidentally didn't eat anything but spinach salad with canned salmon until very late at night, when i ate some scrambled eggs and an apple

i went to this great paleo nutrition lecture

today i woke up and ate a coconut milk/blueberries/raw eggs smoothie and also quite a bit of chicken soup already.

Yesterday I went on a bike ride, today I worked out with this really awesome local O-lifter who is probably twice my age and way lighter and was kicking my ass, it was cool. We did push presses and overhead squats and then we did 3 rounds of 10 medicine ball cleans, pullup variations and kettlebell swings.

i'll probably have a beer or something when i watch the fights

Yael Grauer
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
yesterday i ate...what was it, i think it was eggs with spinach and mushrooms and things... i don't remember what else i ate but i know i ate several meals and some chocolate, hmmm...

today i had the rest of the coconut smoothie for breakfast and some kind of chicken/apple/squash thingy for lunch and dinner. my crockpot doesn't like squash.

i didn't work out today, still sore from saturday actually (!!) and just been so out of it lately. i am so cold all the time and i read on t-nation that some people are always cold on low-carb because t4 isn't converted into t3 or something. so i am wondering if it's related...

i did get 8 hours of sleep last night and felt sooooo good today...

Chris Forbis
03-04-2008, 04:38 AM
i am so cold all the time and i read on t-nation that some people are always cold on low-carb because t4 isn't converted into t3 or something. so i am wondering if it's related...

Iodine?

Yael Grauer
03-04-2008, 06:34 AM
huh?

Chris Forbis
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Have you been tested for iodine sufficiency? Body temp issues are often talked about with iodine...

Yael Grauer
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh! I did the iodine patch test once and it came out okay. I'm actually having my homeopath look into it.

breakfast: eggs with green pepper (mostly picked out), sliced turkey and onion

lunch: salad greens with salmon

dinner: chicken with portabella mushrooms and swiss cheese and some brown rice and salad greens. the chicken stuff also had italian dressing

no workout today.

Yael Grauer
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I didn't work out yet again today because I'm trying to get caught up on papers. I also broke all of my rules by rewarding myself with food, working past 6:30 and now I will only get about 6.5 hours of sleep. I want to work out tomorrow but we'll see how tired and stressed I am and all that... I'm convinced stress messes up my recovery so... Been using my myo-release ball on my back a lot though to fix up some knot...

Breakfast: same scramble as yesterday
Lunch: leftover chicken/portabella/mushroom from yesterday and some greens and two cookies
Dinner: leftover chicken squash thingy and a piece of chocolate mousse cake at a cafe as I graded papers into the late night...

Yael Grauer
03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I think this is turning into a diet log because I haven't been to the gym in close to a week, but in all truth I am under an inordinate amount of stress at work and feeling really tired. Plus, I am trying to test MOD's hypothesis that I can indeed get that stripper look through diet alone and not exercise. I check my BFP etc. and take photos tomorrow so we'll see.

Anyway, breakfast was eggs with tomatoes, cilantro and onion. Lunch was the rest of the leftover chicken/portabella/Swiss thingy and the rest of the salad greens with salmon (more greens than salmon) and for dinner I fried up some grassfed ground beef with cabbage, carrots, onion, green pepper, peanut sauce and chili powder. It was sooo good and I ate a ton of it. Oh and I had an orange as a snack.

I am just feeling tons of releasing in my psoas which has been happening in different degrees the whole time I've been getting Heilkunst treatment. This time it's on the right side, which is the more messed up side so I'm happy. June, September and November were the most profound...

Yael Grauer
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Where the heck is my diet? And what is it doing in this handbasket??!

My diet has sort of gone to shit the past few days. Friday I had a wholesome breakfast and had my leftover yummy Thai beef for lunch but then someone had a pizza party in my classroom and I indulged--two slices of pepperoni and some soda. I then proceeded to buy a Hershey's bar and a ton of Girl Scout cookies when all I wanted to do was get one box of Thin Mints and some greeting cards at the grocery store. My boyfriend fed me a wholesome dinner of chicken, salad with honey mustard dressing, baked potatoes and beer and I ruined it with the Girl Scout cookies. Saturday's breakfast was scrambled eggs, lunch and dinner were, uh, Girl Scout cookies and I also went to Chili's and had a margarita and chips with salsa and went to Friday's and had potstickers and part of the sampler. Today's breakfast was...girl scout cookies.

I did my BFP and am completely confused. I know I lost almost three inches off my waist and everyone has been telling me how much better I look and yet the caliper readings and photos would indicate otherwise. Although I know it is because we suck at caliper readings and the photos were more close up etc. this got me all depressed anyway and probably had more than a little to do with my bingefest... along with WORK stress and, well, you know...being nickled and dimed to death. I dunno. Tomorrow the cookies will be gone and I'll be back on it I guess.

Yael Grauer
03-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I didn't train for a couple weeks due to end-of-semester stress (quite time consuming) and also because my cycle was all screwy and so I was avoiding contact sports, heavy lifting etc. until I figured out what was up. It's all better now.

Went to PDX and did a TON of MMA and BJJ and even MT at SBGi and Sportslab--three two-hour classes Monday, two two-hour classes on Tues, took Wednesday off to soak in hot spring baths and get acupuncture, two classes on Thursday and two on Friday. Probably 15-20 hours total of rolling. I can just FEEL my game improving and am totally sold on both gyms. I wish there were as many options in Tucson, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Anyways, I was totally stoked that some guys I really respected told me I had game :D and also I managed to tap out two or three guys, yeah!! :D Life is good and I can't wait to try the skills I learned out on some of the guys here.

The only problem is that I have literally about fifty bruises, all up and down my arms and legs. Homeopathic arnica/rhus/ruta isn't really cutting it, but homeopathic lachesis is doing the trick. It is amazing; turning them from black and blue to light red/purple overnight.

Yael Grauer
04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
I haven't been logging but still working out... I'm switching to a gym that's strictly MMA but has very minimal equipment so will have to figure out what I'm going to do as far as strength training. For the next 50 days starting tomorrow I'm going to do Infinite Intensity and MMA (grappling and Muay Thai) while I finish out the school year.

Yael Grauer
04-03-2008, 11:21 PM
3 sets of
5 X db snatches each hand
5 X db swings each hand
10 burpees

Finisher: 3 farmer's walks

I used 20# dbs and threw in some 45# cleans and 20# mb cleans too.

Yael Grauer
04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
yesterday:

4 X .6 mi runs
4 X 50m runs

side bends, 3 sets of 6, 20, 25 and 30 lbs
supermans, 3 sets of 15
medicine ball twist throws, 3 sets of 16 (8 per side), 12# ball
3 X plank hold per time

Yael Grauer
04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
This will be my second day off because I am sore.

Why does my recovery suck?

Yael Grauer
04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Day before yesterday I did 3 sets of 3 25# db clean and presses, 4 sets of 30# snatches, about 20 assisted pullups, then 3 sets of 15 20# db swings.

Yael Grauer
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
monday food
coconut/blueberry/egg/greens smoothie
salmon salad
buffalo with mixed veggies
grapefruit and carrots with raw almond butter

tuesday food
eggs with mixed veggies cooked in coconut oil
salmon salad
steak salad (yes, it had tomatoes and red peppers and olive oil)
grapefruit

Yael Grauer
05-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Tuesday I did an hour of hardcore conditioning drills, yesterday an hour of grappling (we worked on some cool techniques from inside someone's guard like when you put one hand under their ankle and then push their knee towards their nose and get side, or when you put the foot in the crook of your elbow and round your back and twist to the side, oh and some rolling, followed by an hour of Muay Thai (mostly conditioning.)