PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Glock

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm going to buy a Glock, any recommendations or advice?

I'm thinking about a 9mm, .40, .45, or possibly .357 :)

What's the differences between all of the different kinds of bullets out there?

There's 10mm, .45 GAP, .380.

I want it for target shooting and defending myself which I'm pretty sure I'll never have to do.

I'm already googling.

Kevin Perry
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Do they have CWP where you are? I took one where I live and they make great recommendations on different types of hand guns and they contrast and compare them all plus you get to carry with you to most places.

While I like Glocks I've never liked that they don't have a safety. And the power of a 9mm is not always that great in certain situations so I opted for a .45 with a short barrel, it has not only the standard safety but the ambidextrous safety as well.

Of course if you want a 9mm you can never go wrong with a Sig. I hope to pick one up someday. Kimbers are fantastic as well but pricey.

Derek Simonds
10-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Jason, you have just asked the most epic troll question ever in the firearms community almost like saying on a fitness board I am trying to decide to do Crossfit or Westside. :D People would be screaming at each other for weeks about this one.

Here are a couple of points. The Glock is a super weapon. You really can't go wrong with it. There is one really important consideration. The safety is integrated into the trigger. This isn't necessarily a bad thing except in one situation. I am now explaining it as the Plaxico Problem. If you drop a weapon the very first instinct is to try and catch it. With a Glock this is problematic because as you grab it there is a real possibility that you could accidentally grab the trigger and discharge the weapon. This alone shouldn't stop you from getting a Glock but I really recommend you understand this.

Both the Sig and the Kimber that Kevin recommended are phenomenal weapons. My personal favorite is the XD or XD/M series from Springfield. They incorporate the trigger safety of the Glock plus the backstrap safety of a 1911. This provides an additional layer should you drop the weapon while still giving you the ability to carry the weapon in condition 1. Two other things I like about the XD/M series is that it will shoot any ammo you run through it, second is that it has a tactile chambered round and cocked hammer indicator. You can by touch with your weak hand tell if there is a round in the chamber and if the weapon is cocked.

The caliber debate is never ending. The most important considerations to me is that you have a weapon when needed, the gun fits your hand size and that you can put lead on target. A .45 that you don't carry or flinch when you fire is absolutely of no value for personal protection. I have personally always preferred the .40 but have standardized with the 9mm as my wife is very comfortable with that round and it didn't make since to have multiple weapons in different calibers.

I will say on the caliber debate that I would avoid the .380 just because the price of ammo is so ridiculously stupid for that caliber it isn't worth it.

The best recommendation I could make is to spend some time shooting multiple weapons in different calibers. I can dig up a ton of link on these subjects if you are interested.

Kevin Perry
10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I should have clarified that about the safety on the glock didn't mean to make any misleads there.

Joe Hart
10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Or you could drop the Glock in your waistband it hooks the trigger on your wiener and blows the boys off:eek: As said above Glocks are nice but the lack of traditional safety bugs me. I have a 1911 in .45 and a SIG 229 .40. I like them both. My wife brought up an interesting point. She wants to shoot the biggest gun she can handle (.45) for the fact that if she HAS to shoot someone it will be a done deal. She is an awesome shot.

I would make sure you can handle the the gun safely. I have short fingers so holding guns with big grips is harder for me. If I were in your position I would go to a gun range and rent the various guns and see what one you really like. Don't go in thinking that you will like the Glock it may be a Smith or Ruger that does it for you. I have been eyeballing the Beretta Storm PX4(?) in .45. I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet and have not seen anything on reliability so I can wait.

The wife would shoot me if I bought a gun right now.:) BaDumpBump.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Ive shot a glock 9mm and .45.

I liked both, but I liked the .45 more.

Ive heard good things about Sigs (Dad used to carry one) and XDs.

Havent shot them though and the Sigs are expensive.

Hmmmm..... Ill check out an XD.

Steven Low
10-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Or you could drop the Glock in your waistband it hooks the trigger on your wiener and blows the boys off:eek: As said above Glocks are nice but the lack of traditional safety bugs me. I have a 1911 in .45 and a SIG 229 .40. I like them both. My wife brought up an interesting point. She wants to shoot the biggest gun she can handle (.45) for the fact that if she HAS to shoot someone it will be a done deal. She is an awesome shot.

I would make sure you can handle the the gun safely. I have short fingers so holding guns with big grips is harder for me. If I were in your position I would go to a gun range and rent the various guns and see what one you really like. Don't go in thinking that you will like the Glock it may be a Smith or Ruger that does it for you. I have been eyeballing the Beretta Storm PX4(?) in .45. I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet and have not seen anything on reliability so I can wait.

The wife would shoot me if I bought a gun right now.:) BaDumpBump.
I thought you were gonna say

"Don't pull a Plaxico Burress"

After gun in the waistband :p

Allen Yeh
10-10-2009, 08:36 PM
FWIW the non-uniform SS guys that I know prefer the Sig .40

Blair Lowe
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
10mm and .40 are what I prefer for stopping power and number of rounds as they have more knockdown power than the 9s but more rounds than the 45.

this is also because I'm not a big guy and I've got smaller hands. a 45 is a lot of power and I just haven't shot them enough.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
What about money?

How much are bullets?

I heard that 9mm is cheaper than .45, is that true?

Blair Lowe
10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
yes, last I recall.

Joe Hart
10-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I think the 10mm / .40 got some of its interest when th FBI was going to go with the 10mm mag. If I remember rightly it was going on a S&W. Shot really flat had alot of power, but (like Blair with a .45) people with small hands such as myself didn't like shooting it. So the normal .40 became more popular. Blair brings up some good points. If you can't comfortably shoot a gun it really is of no use other than to scare someone. If want to do that then get a snub nose .357 mag. But I digress. I would get a gun and caliber combo that you can shoot well. Keep the Marine Sniper adage in mind "One shot one kill" and you will be good to go.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Im really looking for something thats all around good. Good power (would prefer more over less), not too complicated to use, highly reliable, highly accurate, not too expensive, etc.

I dont think hand size will matter for me. I have some pretty big hands for my size.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
What do you guys think is better:

The XD in .45 acp or the Glock 21 also in .45 apc?

As of right now I like the Glock.

http://www.glockworld.com/category/872-Glock_45acp.aspx

I haven't been able to find much information about the Springfield XD.

Jason Lopez-Ota
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I've also heard about problems with the Glock's ambidextrous magazine release. Is that true? Has it been fixed?

Is the Glock 21 right handed only?

Edit: The G21 is right handed only.

The G21 SF is ambidextrous with a couple of differences.