PDA

View Full Version : Mass Gain Excel Template

Greg Everett
02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Jeff Dale has put together an excel template to calculate loading for the PM Mass Gain program and make your life easier.

Download it here (http://www.performancemenu.com/issues/issue17/massGainTemplate.xls)

Robb Wolf
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Jeff-
This kicks ass! Thank you!

Jeff_Dale
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
It's set up with the prescribed 2% load change each week.
The formulas are easy to change if you need to adjust load highter/lower:

1.Click on the week and load amount you want to change the % of.

2. The formula will be at the top [ex: =SUM(F43*0.62)] .62 is a 2% increase from base of .60. If you want to increase more each week, (ex:5%, enter .65)

Jesse Woody
02-09-2007, 05:26 AM
Jeff, awesome stuff! Thanks a ton!

Mark Joseph Limbaga
04-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Great job Dale!!

kevin mckay
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I was kinda thinking about body weight+ weight/vest applied to the template

pull ups
dips
hand stand push ups
inverted pull ups

Any body ever play with this or have advice?

Derek Simonds
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Today was the last day for me on the mass gain template. What specifically were you asking.

I did the template exactly like it was set up plus push-ups and handstand push-ups and other assorted body weight exercises at BJJ during the warm-ups.

For the weighted pull ups I used a traditional belt not a vest.

Robb Wolf
05-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Kevin-
Have you read Ross Enamaits article on mass gain? Pretty similar to this using vests for many movements.

kevin mckay
05-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Today was the last day for me on the mass gain template. What specifically were you asking.

I did the template exactly like it was set up plus push-ups and handstand push-ups and other assorted body weight exercises at BJJ during the warm-ups.

For the weighted pull ups I used a traditional belt not a vest.

What is a traditional belt? Would that work with handstand pushups?

Rob,
I will try to track down Ross's article thanks

Derek Simonds
05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
No, a vest would be the way to go.

The belt I use is leather like a squat belt with 2 metal rings on the front and a chain attached to one ring with a clip. You feed the chain through the weight and then clip it to the other ring so the weight hangs between your legs for dips and pull ups.

kevin mckay
05-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Something like this with a vest to keep things around level 5?
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2

Derek Simonds
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I like it the only concern I have is the 5 rounds for time part. If you are making it a metcon you are burning copious amounts of calories.

kevin mckay
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
So you think it would be better without the time element? I am requiring a 3 min break between rounds so it is not much of a metcon.

I wonder if there would be a benefit to have the duration of each movement take 5 seconds like what Shaf posted? http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/

Steve Shafley
05-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think slowing them down is the answer.

For building muscle, I think you need to get tricky. Bryce Lane's "B-Circuit" concept might be useful.

For those who don't know, a B-circuit consists of:

1. Explosive, short range movement (jumps for height)
2. Full range explosive movemetns (squat, then jump for height)
3. Deliberate, "tensed" slow movement (air squat with you actively engaging the muscles to pull yourself down and to resist going back up)

Even those bodyweight masters, gymnasts, don't get all that big or heavy, and they do the big dog of bodyweight exercises. I think you hit a point, sometimes very quickly, where you need to add some kind of external resistance.

It's kind of a "right tool for the job" thing. Bodyweight exercises will work for a while, especially for those not used to doing them

kevin mckay
05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess it is all relative as I think some gymnasts are huge. I will do this for 6 months and see what happens.

Steve Shafley
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
There's no reason not to try it. At the very least, it's bound to be productive and fun, right?

Steve Shafley
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
This is my opinion:

Male gymnasts have an astonishing level of relative strength, at least in their upper bodies and core. In most cases they have developed this through over a decade or more of training in gymnastics and the associated exercises. They've gone from a 45# boy to a 165# man doing these, and have adapted accordingly.

This kind of training is completely and utterly inappropriate for, lets say, me. I'm a 38 year old powerlifter type. There is no way in hell I am going to develop the skills and specific strengths a 19-20 year old male gymnast has developed, even give an extreme motivation and drive to do so.

Steve Shafley
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
An interesting side note:

My 3 1/2 year old daughter is in gymnastics classes, and I got into a long discussion with one of the higher level coaches at the club about how his girls have gotten fatter over the last five years.

He blames soft drinks, fast food, and TV, but after we spoke for a bit, it turned out that ~5 years ago, he coached his girls an average of 15 hours a week, and now it's down to about 8.

When I pointed out that discrepancy, he looked a bit pained.

Nice guy but SERIOUSLY out of the loop regarding anything but traditional gymnastics conditioning techniques. Not that those are ineffective...but take away an average of 7 hours of training a week, and you've got to get smarter.

kevin mckay
05-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Well I intend to eat my own dog food and see what happens, probably cycle through
the 3 different weeks for a while. I have put on muscle in my chest back and arms from just the week one one and similar workouts so hopefully I will get more from week 2 and 3. My main goal is general gpp and fitness. I also intend to start working on the planche and front lever.
I went from 212 to 165 doing week one and similar all fat loss and as I have upped my capacity have gone up to 175 I currently work between level 6-8 not bad for a 39 year old fart.

Week 1
http://www.simplefit.org/workout.html
week 2
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2.html
week 3
http://www.simplefit.org/workout3.html

Greg/Rob If this is a huge thread hijack feel free to move it

Brandon Underwood
06-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I began the mass gain template on Monday of this week and have already ran into a problem I can't figure out. I am following it as prescribed, but I cannot seem to do my prescribed pull-up weights for 6 sets. I am suppose to be doing 48lbs. this week and had to drop my weighted chins to 40, and, even worse had to drop my L-pulls each set until I was at 15 lbs. on my last set. I would love someones help b/c I have no clue where to go from here. I don't want to work from 15lb. L-pulls next week simply because I burnt out in my first 2 sets. What do I do? Finally, thank you performance menu for having such a kick ass forum (and publication). I know I'd be lost right now without it.

Derek Simonds
06-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I completed the template a couple of months ago. I had the same problem and had to take it down even more. I did unweighted p/u's and unweighted L-p/u's until I had worked up to the prescribed sets and reps.

I asked pretty much the same question and to sum up the response it was do the weight you can and increase it as you go but try to get all the sets and reps in.

Best of luck and let us know how the progress is going. Are you keeping a training log here on the forum, if not you should for the motivation.

Brandon Underwood
06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the advise Derek. I guess I'll figure out a managable weight between 50 and 15 for next week. I was mainly concerned because the hypertrophy cycle is not very long and I didn't want to A) find out what I should be doing during the 3rd week, and B) not achieve the gains I know the program is capable of producing. I haven't started my log on the forum yet, but I am keeping a detailed notebook including when I cold rinse, rest, work-out, etc. and plan to begin to post here asap.

Patrick McIntosh
12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Could someone do me a huge favor and convert this file to html so that it resembles the same column/row structure as the original xls? My computer is flipping out over some weird ms office issue. Thanks.

Patrick Donnelly
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Mass Gain Template, Hypertrophy Cycle: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8418/mgthsbf1.jpg
Mass Gain Template, Strength Cycle: http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/958/mgtsslg1.jpg

Take the weight values as percentages of your 1RM of the associated exercise. (I entered in 100 for all of the 1RM's listed, so the percents are shown.)

Patrick McIntosh
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Pat! I appreciate it.

Ben Kimmerle
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Quick question about overtraining and gaining weight...

This summer I will be working on a farm, outside all day, 8 hours a day and 5 days per week.
I want to go through the PM Mass Gain program for at least the first few weeks of summer to put on some mass. However, will I risk overtraining by working and using this program? Since I'm going to be sweating and exerting myself all day, does that mean I need to eat even MORE than I would have otherwise (aka more than more than humanly possible)? And should I maybe cut back, say, 75% on the program, or just try it at full force until my body starts giving me negative feedback?

Derek Simonds
05-02-2008, 05:46 PM
There are a lot of variables to deal with. If you have a couple of weeks to do the program before you start maybe you will be able to pull it off. It might be too much adaptation if you did it all at one time.

Working on a farm and eating well has been known to put mass on a lot of fellows without a workout routine.

Ben Kimmerle
05-04-2008, 11:50 AM
I have about 2 weeks (this week included) until work starts. I started with the deload week this week so I can ease into it next week.

And that is true about eating and farmwork, but I also only have about 9 or 10 weeks this summer to train before preseason (rugby) starts in the fall and I wanted to make sure I maximized that time.