PDA

View Full Version : Keeping net alkaline

Jeff Michaelson
10-13-2006, 10:09 AM
How much vegetable matter is necessary to ensure a net alkalinizing diet when eating lots of protein? I don't have a good sense of a ratio of amounts and want to make sure I'm not acidic since I eat so much protein.

Robb Wolf
10-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I think Professor Cordain puts a number of 20-30% of calories coming from fruits and veggies to reach a net alkaline level. Now if one is eating a load of fruit that may be the case but if one is doing loads of greens and low GI/GL veggies (eating relatively low carb) that number, as a PERCENTAGE of calories may be much lower. What’s a simple rule of thumb? Eat some vegetable matter at every meal. Want a ridiculous level of detail? Use this acid base list to calculate your Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL):

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/acid.shtml

Let me know if that answers your question.

Jeff
10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
It answers my question! Thanks!

Sandy
10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Does each meal need to be alkaline? Or would it be OK to have some meals that are net acidic as long as the daily total is alkaline?

Robb Wolf
10-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Sandy-
I think the days total is fine. Even a few days of net acid balance is likely fine if followed by more fruit and veggies. Keep in mind that acid/base disturbances can effect sleep, mood and recovery so don't overdo it!

Stuart Mather
10-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm curious about the excellent bone density of traditionally living Inuit. You would assume that such a high net acid load diet would create chronic osteoporosis problems. Apparently Cordains' research on fracture frequency in Inuit populations was seriously flawed.

cheers Stuart.