PDA

View Full Version : non-islolated tricep exercise?

Sam Brothers
11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Any examples of what exactly works the triceps during a functional non-isolated workout?

I can't seem to find any workout that might work them except isolation exercises.

I do ring dips... I don't consider dips to work the triceps... they work the chest.
All I can think of are push ups with arms by the side--which is not very functional.

Just curious! Thanks!

Garrett Smith
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Any exercise that extends the elbow or resists elbow flexion involves the triceps.

If you still believe in isolation exercises, I can't help you. There's no such thing.

Dips have been used to build big & strong triceps for a very, very long time. Look at gymnasts.

Dave Van Skike
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
jm presses, close grip bench, push press

fyi... there is no such thing as functional..sorry to be the one to tell you.

Garrett Smith
11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Re-read your post...I'm curious, what do you believe the "function" of a push-up to be, in that something other than a shoulder-width push-up is "more functional"?

Is not the "function" of a push-up to do just that, push....up?

Aaron Austin
11-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Dave is right, also add pin presses, floor presses, board presses.

Purely Functional : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIPlaor68DU

Aaron

Trent Sagramsingh
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think isolation exercises will do any harm if you really want to work your triceps. Here is Shi Zhiyong at the 2006 Worlds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38313689@N00/273116944/in/set-72157594320707748/

Just saying.

Mark Fenner
11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm less interested and concerned in adjectives than some other folks (well, I care, but I suppress) .... here's my major concern:

You claim that ring dips aren't working (or perhaps are inadequate for) your triceps. Would you kindly post your typical light, medium, and heavy volumes (total number of reps in a workout) and weights used (for example, bodyweight or bodyweight + external load totals) in your ring dips workouts.

Do you have any other substantial "pressing" exercises (anything that extends the elbow against resistance) in your weekly training?

Lastly, what is your standard for success of "working your triceps"? Would this be gaining mass, feeling a burn, feeling soreness? Or would it be success in some portion of another exercise (e.g., military/bench press lockout)?

Best,
Mark

Mike ODonnell
11-08-2009, 07:21 AM
bar dips, bench dips (hands behind you), triangle or close together pushups (hands in form of a traingle), close grip bench press....tricep is a pushing muscle...push something heavy while your arms bends (or extends) and it works them. Closer the hands are together...the more workload on the triceps.

Work with a more stable surface than rings......your weakest muscles fail first (and will shutdown the whole movement). So if your stabilizers are weak, you will never hit the triceps as well as you would with bar (more stable) dips.

But don't overdo them....because if your tris are fried and you try to bench or overhead press....you won't hit the chest/shoulders effectively as your tris will shut down first.....I've never seen a person who can heavy bench or press with small triceps.

Martin Bonn
11-08-2009, 12:08 PM
like everyone said: dips and presses (of any variety) will do the job nicely.
also: i always feel snatches are a good static exercise. keeping those arms locked is hard work for the triceps....but then a snatch is not really a triceps exercise i guess....!

Robert McBee
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
EliteFTS Top Triceps Ex. by D. Tate (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/top12_tricep.htm)

Blair Lowe
11-11-2009, 12:55 AM
If you work on rings enough, you won't have to worry about your stabilizers. However, static surface dips for super heavy loads seem to make more sense. Steven Low anyone?

Mike ODonnell
11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
If you work on rings enough, you won't have to worry about your stabilizers. However, static surface dips for super heavy loads seem to make more sense. Steven Low anyone?

True....work the rings first, you will hit failure due to instability on smaller muscle....then immediately go into bar/bench dips. That will fry your triceps plenty.

Steven Low
11-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Just do rings turn out dips with long cables. You won't have to worry about lacking any development... trust me.

Or do all your warmups with rings dips. Then go do weighted bar dips.