PDA

View Full Version : News media of choice

Joe Hart
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
What is everyone's news media of choice printed or electronic. Its seems that the local media here in MN is so sensationalistic I want to barf. So instead I just turn it off. I feel like I am out of touch with the world, but I don't want to put up with the BS. So that reduces me to the internet or the paper.

Maybe the newspaper is better...I am not as concerned about slanted writing as long as all of the sides of an argument are viewed. Suspect I am asking a lot.

Any opinions?

Aaron Austin
11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Don't know if this will help you much me being Canadian, but I use the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca

Darryl Shaw
11-13-2009, 02:57 AM
For news - www.bbc.co.uk

For sciencey stuff - www.sciencedaily.com

Allen Yeh
11-13-2009, 03:44 AM
I typically check daily these in order:

Google News
BBC News
CNN

Chris Forbis
11-13-2009, 06:08 AM
http://slashdot.org
http://news.bbc.co.uk

And then iGoogle gives me the top NYT and WSJ and Wired headlines.

Donald Lee
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
In Washington, D.C., everyone reads The Washington Post. If you're really into national politics, The Washington Post would probably be the way to go. Politico.com also has good coverage of national politics. Otherwise, I prefer reading the NY Times, because it has a lot of interesting news articles and op-eds. If I just want to know what's going on, I just read the news articles on the Yahoo! homepage.

There are also some sites where you can filter the news you want, if you have a particular interest in something.

Mike ODonnell
11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Never watch TV news...it's so pathetic....

Just get the highlights online here and there on yahoo, MSN, NYT or Reuters.....and only read articles of interest...ignore the rest....

Derek Simonds
11-16-2009, 09:06 AM
I second Google news. I also check CNBC, Drudge and Foxnews. Mainly Google news.

It's funny my 2nd grade daughter is the news reporter this week at school so she has a sheet that she has to complete while watching the news with a parent. I had a hard time explaining to my daughter that I don't watch the TV news. A whole lot of why nots from her, and really what do you tell her?

Donald Lee
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I second Google news. I also check CNBC, Drudge and Foxnews. Mainly Google news.

It's funny my 2nd grade daughter is the news reporter this week at school so she has a sheet that she has to complete while watching the news with a parent. I had a hard time explaining to my daughter that I don't watch the TV news. A whole lot of why nots from her, and really what do you tell her?

Ah...a conservative I see. You could have just watched TV news with her for her sake and avoided the trouble of explaining in the first place.

Another good source of news I have discovered is following your favorite columnists' blogs and op-eds. I know you can follow many columnists' stuff on NYT, but I'm not sure about other news sites.

Brian Stone
11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
NPR for radio news - can also hear their feeds on the web.
I also (fourth?) BBC news - good stuff.
Seconding washingtonpost.com and nytimes.com. Those are liberal papers, though, so be advised.
The Wall Street Journal (wsj.com) is an outstanding paper if you have a nodding familiarity w/ economics. Conservative slant there.

(Note: liberal and conservative above refer to the US definitions of those words)

Neill Smith
11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of The Economist. Because it's based in the U.K. there is no consistent partisan slant. Also, the audio edition is free to subscribers, which can be good for a commute.