PDA

View Full Version : Alan Aragon Blog

Donald Lee
11-14-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.alanaragonblog.com/

Alan Aragon just started a blog. If you don't know who he is, he's kind of like Lyle in that he's very research oriented. His first blog entries are about entering the personal training and/or nutritional consultant field.

Steven Low
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I like the guy.

Will be interesting to read.

Although I do disagree with little points here and there as I do with Lyle as well.

Chuck Kechter
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Good start on the blog...

Tony Ferous
12-07-2009, 05:41 AM
Amusing cartoons(waxy maze starch!) but i didnt agree with alot of the content.
Paleo is a fad diet it seems...

Derek Weaver
12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I just saw this thread. I'm pumped that Aragon's blogging. He, Martin Berkhan and Lyle are 3 of the best.

On the paleo/if side, Robb, MOD, Scott Kustes bring it full circle.

Allen Yeh
12-08-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm sure Alan has a lotof good info but for some reason he just turns me off, the way he writes just comes down as condescending to me. Lyle writes in much the same way but is not quite as offensive.

Garrett Smith
12-08-2009, 04:37 AM
The people who act "science-based" yet completely dismiss the science behind Paleo make me chuckle. I find his writing condescending as well.

Mike ODonnell
12-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Alan and Lyle have always turned me off with their attitudes.....most the info is usually pretty solid (and researched based), but the way it is communicated for the most part is not....almost like you are a moron for thinking anything else.

....then again, if I had to talk to people in bodybuilding.com forums all day long I might turn a tad arrogant as well....thank god I never go there!

Steven Low
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Alan and Lyle have always turned me off with their attitudes.....most the info is usually pretty solid (and researched based), but the way it is communicated for the most part is not....almost like you are a moron for thinking anything else.

....then again, if I had to talk to people in bodybuilding.com forums all day long I might turn a tad arrogant as well....thank god I never go there!
I have an account there with 2300 posts.

It's very easy to get fed up with people obviously... but arrogance is what you do with it. I mean, I come off that way sometimes but it's not like I'm trying to be a jerk. Well, that's sometimes as well. :)

Donald Lee
12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The people who act "science-based" yet completely dismiss the science behind Paleo make me chuckle. I find his writing condescending as well.

This is from Alan's book:

The primary flaw of the Paleo stance is the fact that it has not a shred of concrete evidence to stand on. Abundant research of various design indicates the health-protective effect of whole grains, starchy vegetables, legumes, and other plant foods. In contrast, the Paleo stance has not a shred of direct, conrete evidence. It has plenty of conjecture, but no hard data.

As stated directly in their own paper, Cordain and colleagues lament that, "Unfortunately, not a single comprehensive study evaluating the macronutrient and trace nutrient contents of the wild plant and animal foods actually consumed in completely un-Westernized hunter-gatherer diets was ever conducted."

Examinations of the dietary habits of Paleolithic humans can only be made by indirect means...Furthermore, the indirect nat ure of studying pre-history necessitates a certain degree of speculation and assumption...

Katharine Milton...questions the validity of the ethnographic data upon which Cordain's latest work is based, pointing out that Hunter-gathers in their purely un-westernized form were extinct by the 20th century.

What we were capable of surviving doesn't automatically equate to what we as a species are capable of achieving in terms of optimal health.

He goes on to state evidence of the benefits of grains.

I don't think Alan's ignored the Paleo evidence. He just doesn't believe in it.

Garrett Smith
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Nightshades are conjecture too...I get someone on Paleo and "no nightshades" and their health improves, pain decreases...every time. Oh well.

Starchy veggies would seem to fit Paleo just fine, especially with what Darryl Shaw posts up here so often.

I put it this way...we know that humans made it this far on "Paleo" foods...everything after that is suspect (but could be okay, Weston Price's work with different cultures would seem to show that).

Maybe the nutrient content research here (http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/price.htm) should simply be ignored if one doesn't want to "believe" it.

Steven Low
12-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I mean you can't find a problem with the analysis.

On the other hand, if it helps many people feel and perform better you can't ignore it.

Basically, go with what works for you. I don't think any of them would disagree with that though... or maybe perhaps they would?

Mike ODonnell
12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I have an account there with 2300 posts.

It's very easy to get fed up with people obviously... but arrogance is what you do with it. I mean, I come off that way sometimes but it's not like I'm trying to be a jerk. Well, that's sometimes as well. :)

Yes we have been meaning to talk to you about your 'tude lately!

Ha......just kidding.....jerk. ;)