PDA

View Full Version : Training Books

Robert Bennett
11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

I am considering getting some of these books and I was wondering whether anyone has read them and if they think they are good/bad.

Serious Strength Training-Tudor Bompa
Sport Stretch-Michael J. Alter
Muscle Logic-Charles Staley
Functional Training For Sports-Mike Boyle
Optimizing Strength Training-Kraemer and Fleck
Stretching Scientifically-Thomas Kurz

Also I was wondering out of Sport Stretch and Stretching scientifically which is better? Or are they both good reads and worth getting?
Also does anyone have any other suggestions of good books?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Matthieu Hertilus
11-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Mark Rippetoe - Starting Strength
- no matter how advanced a lifter or trainer you think you are, this is a wonderful resource for you to keep

Anything by Pavel, though I especially like Beyond Bodybuilding

Anything by Dan John: I just love reading his work

Dave Van Skike
11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Staley is legit but Muscle Logic reads like a Men's Health article. you might find it the library.
it's hokey and airy fairy but Body Mind and Sport has influenced my thinkign a huge amount.

RTS manual, Mike Tuscherer. I liked it.
Ditto on Pavel's BBB, he's got a new book out as well.
Westside Barbell book of methods..
have read a bunch of other stuff that's not worth paying for, soem iof the best stuff is free in places like EliteFTS archives...

Derek Weaver
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd add in a Boyle resource. Functional Training for sports or that new Functional Strength Coach 3.0 has gotten good reviews. I honestly don't know if it's a book or what though.

Practical Programming should make the cut.

Donald Lee
11-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Out of the books on your list, I'd only recommend Kurz' "Stretching Scientifically." I have Bompa's book,and it's written for bodybuilders on steroids and many supplements. Boyle is crap, and I've heard bad reviews of Kramer's and Fleck's books.

I would recommend Christian Thibadeau's "Black Book of Training Secrets" and "Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods." I'd also recommend Arthur Dreschler's "Encyclopedia of Weightlifting." It has a lot more than just weightlifting content in it. It talks about periodization, strength training, stretching, sport psychology, etc.

I'm also intrigued by the RTS Manual that DVS recommended. I have just ordered it.

Brian DeGennaro
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
To add onto that:

Zatsiorsky, the Science and Practice of Strength Training
Bruce Jenner, Finding the Champion Within (good for the mental aspect of training)

Derek Weaver
11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Out of the books on your list, I'd only recommend Kurz' "Stretching Scientifically." I have Bompa's book,and it's written for bodybuilders on steroids and many supplements. Boyle is crap, and I've heard bad reviews of Kramer's and Fleck's books.

I would recommend Christian Thibadeau's "Black Book of Training Secrets" and "Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods." I'd also recommend Arthur Dreschler's "Encyclopedia of Weightlifting." It has a lot more than just weightlifting content in it. It talks about periodization, strength training, stretching, sport psychology, etc.

I'm also intrigued by the RTS Manual that DVS recommended. I have just ordered it.

What's the issue with Boyle?

Donald Lee
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM

I, personally, have not read any of his books, but I've read many of his articles; however, I find very little use from the functional fitness crowd. I doubt he has been educated in much fitness-wise, and he is highly fickle, changing his ideas with the new crowd and coming out with new products to accomodate that new idea.

If you want to know what's functional and transferable, read Bondarchuk's "Transfer of Training in Sport."

*Edit: I hope I didn't sound too harsh about Boyle. I don't mean to attack him personally, but I am just in disagreement with his methods and his view of training for sport. I think his crowd could do better by obtaining a formal education in a subject fitness/nutrition related or by reading more science-based books/journals, rather than going to Buddy Lee seminars and learning about marketing. I also think the reviews that his crowd gives one another's products are misleading. I don't want to sound like a pompous academic or anything, but that's just my opinion.

Steven Low
11-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey is good.

What exactly are you looking for though?

Programming? Beginner program? Knowledge in general?

Craig Brown
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Strongest Shall Survive- Bill Starr
Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia- John Jesse
Tommy Kono's Oly book (forgot the title...)
Practical Programming for Strength Training- Rippetoe & Kilgore (SS, as well)

A lot of the heavy periodization books have only ben 'interesting' to me, as I've never been (or plan to be) at the level where things get that complex.

Craig

Martin Bonn
11-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Strongest Shall Survive- Bill Starr
Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia- John Jesse
Tommy Kono's Oly book (forgot the title...)
Practical Programming for Strength Training- Rippetoe & Kilgore (SS, as well)

A lot of the heavy periodization books have only ben 'interesting' to me, as I've never been (or plan to be) at the level where things get that complex.

Craig

Tommy's book is called: 'weightlifting: olympic style'....i'm not too sure about it though, no doubt TK was a great lifter and his book was great at the time and there is still lots of useful info in it (bottom line i d still buy it!), but it has gotten a little dated and the description of the lifts is quite short imho.

Zatsiorsky, the Science and Practice of Strength Training is very good, but you need to be quite scientifically minded to make use of it in training! one of the best books on training i ever bought!

Gavin Harrison
11-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Zatsiorsky, the Science and Practice of Strength Training is very good, but you need to be quite scientifically minded to make use of it in training! one of the best books on training i ever bought!

It's much easier to make useful than Supertraining. Also, a lot of the things written by EFS are good. Particularly 5/3/1 and the EFS Basic Training Manual. They're geared toward practical side of training, rather than the theoretical.

Brian Lawyer
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

What he said was exactly what I thought when I read your list...are you starting a bodybuilder on steroids program?

Brian Lawyer
12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
...Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia- John Jesse...

Craig, Can you tell me about this book? It appears to be just the book I have been looking for. I have been looking for an instructional for my MMA training that catalogs various sport specific strength, conditioning, drills, etc. type exercises. Victory Belt has a boatload of books that are basically technique encyclopedias but I haven't found anyone who has done the encyclopedia on strength and conditioning specific to MMA. That book you mentioned looked like it may be the one but from the looks of the cover it looked really dated like it was published in the early 1900's....

Danny John
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't be surprised when you read it to find that everything "invented" after that book was written, well, was invented before!

I have a case of them and I give away John Jesse's book to everyone I work with in the field. I might have to get another case...

Mike ODonnell
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Even he admitted somewhere about going overboard on the whole "functional" thing with that book.....I think he would rewrite it if he could.

I've been a reader my whole life....but now, I hit my limit and going for a new concept....dumping my training ADD with no more books, ignorance of all the 1000s of training articles on the internet, progressively load compound/bodyweight lifts in a simple plan and eat lots of whole foods (with IF) for the next year.

Then I will have plenty of time for as DJ calls "wine walks".....which sound like a hell of alot more fun and a relaxed life worth pursuing.

Ahhhh....already feel 30 lbs lighter....

PS. Power to the People was a great read by Pavel.....I like his approaches, simple and fun.

Brian Lawyer
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
...I have a case of them and I give away John Jesse's book to everyone I work with in the field. I might have to get another case...

You have a case and are giving them away... The only place I found that book available is a website that is selling them for $45 a piece. Amazon says the book is out of print.

Craig Brown
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Brian, my thoughts on Jesse's book are as Dan's. However, I think there is so much info out there about training for anything right now, that more is generally not needed. So do you need it? Heck no!

Dan has a good thought that bears keeping in mind, which is that he is thrower, who lifts to support his throwing, and so he can tell what works by his throws. I think this has to be true for any sport. Whether John Jesse's book will help any more than what you get here, or from Jameson or from Twight- I don't have any idea.

Brian Lawyer
12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Even he admitted somewhere about going overboard on the whole "functional" thing with that book.....I think he would rewrite it if he could.

The overboard thing was what I thought when reading Verstegan's book. Mark Verstegan is in the camp of boyle. They just get caught up on one thing and go too overboard. Verstegan's deal was his obsession with Swiss Ball exercises. They always seem to be making up some stuff where your needing all these accessories like rotational cable machines, swiss balls, bands, etc. then they market all the accessories somewhere.

I found this today, Ultimate MMA Conditioning, http://www.8weeksout.com/. Has Anyone ever heard of that guy? You all probably aren't so much into that training. I'll ask grissim over in the fighting section.

Donald Lee
12-04-2009, 11:15 AM
The overboard thing was what I thought when reading Verstegan's book. Mark Verstegan is in the camp of boyle. They just get caught up on one thing and go too overboard. Verstegan's deal was his obsession with Swiss Ball exercises. They always seem to be making up some stuff where your needing all these accessories like rotational cable machines, swiss balls, bands, etc. then they market all the accessories somewhere.

I found this today, Ultimate MMA Conditioning, http://www.8weeksout.com/. Has Anyone ever heard of that guy? You all probably aren't so much into that training. I'll ask grissim over in the fighting section.

In my opinion, Joel Jaimeson is the most knowledgable guy training MMA fighters right now. He applies block training to MMA, and his methods are based on science. If you'd like to know more about his methods, I'd be happy to share. His forum's a nice resource, because Lyle tends to answer most of the questions that are asked, moreso than Joel.

Chris Rice
12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Add "Performance Rock Climbing" by Goodard and Neumann. Surprisingly valid for things other than climbing. A good section on "engrams". It's the first book I recommend for people who are already well versed in their strength reading.