PDA

View Full Version : New PM member--Just saying hello!

Garrett Smith
02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
For those of you I know from CF and that forum, just wanted to say hi!

So far, this forum looks like the cool place to be, especially for someone of my interests and open-mindedness..

Dr. G

Allison Barns
02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey Dr. G! Welcome!

Greg Everett
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
it's about time, doc!

Scotty Hagnas
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Glad to see you here - welcome!

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland

Mike ODonnell
02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Whats Up Doc......look forward to your posts. Oh yeah.....second what Greg said.

Steve Shafley
02-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Let's start this off with a bang-up discussion about how Garrett vaguely suspects that back squatting causes spinal damage!

Yael Grauer
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Steve's a troublemaker!

Garrett Smith
02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh boy.

Considering I just did a 6x5 back squat workout the other day, I'll say what I think now. However, that has the caveat of my squat workout (all back squat workouts at this point) being 1 set of "normal" back squat, followed by a L,R set each of the "B" squat, with loading only at approximately BW (for the 6x5, and no, it wasn't a "hard" workout for me, in case anyone feels the need to thump their chest), I don't think that spinal damage would be an issue under those parameters.

Black box style, if anyone can show me a biochemically and physically healthy elite "natural" powerlifter, retired, at a senior age, who hasn't already been declared an obscenely genetically gifted person, I'd love to see it. As always, it's not necessarily all the exercise in question, it's how it is performed and in what manner (sets, reps, load, volume, etc, etc...).

I am definitely coming to the conclusion that the loading in a front squat is more realistic/functional and thus should be *favored* in a workout scheme, IMO.

I'll do any type of squat. Not too often, not for too many reps, and definitely not with too much weight. I plan on doing this for a long, long time. Screw the "live fast, die early" mentality.

I must say, I have learned something from Rippetoe's advice regarding back squats in the CFJ. Even ditched the Manta Ray the other day in that 6x5 workout. Felt good, actually even felt like I was able to maintain a better lumbar lordosis in the bottom position.

Everyone has something to learn. Do I still think that excessive volume of overly loaded back squats could likely lead to spinal damage over time? Yes. Am I modifying what I'm doing based on what I've learned over time? Yes.

Just like with nutrients, too much of one (or too little) over time will cause problems. Some nutrients have a narrower window than others. I think back squatting, especially heavy, may be one exercise with a narrower window than some others.

Garrett Smith
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome, guys and gals...

Dr. G

Ron Nelson
02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Is it possible to hijack your own thread?

Ronnie Ashlock
02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Yup, yup! Good to see you here, Dr. G.

Steve Shafley
02-08-2007, 04:48 AM
I wear my heart, or whatever, on my sleeve.

Steve Shafley
02-08-2007, 04:51 AM
Now, when you are referring to the "B-Squat" I assume you are referring to Bryce Lane's staggered stance squat, correct?

I like Bryce's stuff a lot. His little booklets are very creative and thought provoking and well worth checking out.

Allen Yeh
02-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Hey Dr. G.

Garrett Smith
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Yes, I am referring to the staggered-stance "B" squat. How it is so ignored by so many smart trainers/coaches baffles me. As I said before on the CF board, a couple of sets of "B" squats will help nearly anyone's normal back squat be deeper with improved form (my guess is that it helps to mobilize and improve proprioception in the ankle that lifts off the ground, that has a chain reaction up the entire lower extremity--but that's just a guess based on my Z-Health training).

And yes, it is possible to hijack your own thread. You saw it here first...

Steve Liberati
02-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow, another great asset added to the board. Look forward to your contributions here Dr. G.

By the way, just recieved the B.E.D book in the mail today. Cant wait to read it...without knowing it, you pushed me to buy it:)

Garrett Smith
02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Wow, another great asset added to the board. Look forward to your contributions here Dr. G.

By the way, just recieved the B.E.D book in the mail today. Cant wait to read it...without knowing it, you pushed me to buy it:)

Take your time to read it, there's a lot in there to "digest"...:rolleyes:

Dave Van Skike
02-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, I am referring to the staggered-stance "B" squat. How it is so ignored by so many smart trainers/coaches baffles me. As I said before on the CF board, a couple of sets of "B" squats will help nearly anyone's normal back squat be deeper with improved form (my guess is that it helps to mobilize and improve proprioception in the ankle that lifts off the ground, that has a chain reaction up the entire lower extremity--but that's just a guess based on my Z-Health training).

And yes, it is possible to hijack your own thread. You saw it here first...

True. Good to see someone smart validating the B squat. I have boogled up knees (chondro, had lateral retinacular releases, both knees, ITBS etc.) that I have rehabbed slowly (5 years) back into squatting shape. Still have a brutally weak squat overall but B squats are one of the things I feel really helped me get confident going ATG and getting out of the bottom position., that and deadlifts off a box, snatch grip DL and other methods of deep DL (tiny plates et al.)

I too really appreciate Bryce's stuff and if fact have based most of my strength goals off of his arbitrary but still compelling thumbnail strength standards for little guys (belwo 220)

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/hwgdami.htm

Whew... talk about hijack! Good to have you aboard.

Pierre Auge
02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Crap I'm too late I was about to post that exact same link! lol

He comes up on his toes on the rear leg. I find I don't have too as my flexibility doesn't limit me in any way. Also when my rear leg comes up on the toe I find the knee extension is a bit much for me anyways so I do it like any other squat, heels planted and it seems to work quite well. Though I must admit I don't do it much and when I do I could very well be doing it wrong.

Care to share some more thoughts on this Doc? Oh and my Dad has been slowly implementing your advice as per the blood clots. I appreciate the advice you gave.

Steve Liberati
02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the great chart Dave! Just bookmarked it.

Know little about the B squat, but def plan to look further into it now. Makes much sense. Now that I think about it...thats the way I used to left up our beer kegs in college. Looks natural to say the least.

Dave Van Skike
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the great chart Dave! Just bookmarked it.

Know little about the B squat, but def plan to look further into it now. Makes much sense. Now that I think about it...thats the way I used to left up our beer kegs in college. Looks natural to say the least.

I get a lot of crap for it at my commercial gym, so much so that I started doing one hand barbell snatches....that really gets them lathered.

Garrett Smith
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm going to go start a thread on the "B" squat...

Dr. G

Jamila Bey
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Way late I know, but WELCOME!

Robb Wolf
02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey Dr. G!
Good to see you hanging with the bad kids!

Mike ODonnell
02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Good to see you hanging with the bad kids!

...and who can ever forget that classic by the bad kids on the block....
"Uh oh oh oh oh......Uh oh oh oh.....Uh oh oh oh oh....The Wrong Stuff....."

Scott Kustes
02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
What's up Doc? Can we rock? </Fu Schnickens> ;) Good to see you here.