PDA

View Full Version : Belt Recommendations

Kevin Perry
12-05-2009, 11:12 PM
What brands of belts do you guys use/recommend as best for strength building?

That new 70's big article on em got my interest but I have a short torso and Im not familiar at all with the different brands.

Donald Lee
12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know much about belts, but from what I've found, the ones Pendlay sells are by far the cheapest.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Dave had recommended the spud belt to me a while ago, I still haven't bought one but I have it on my wishlist of stuff.

Don Stevenson
12-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Depends on exactly what you are going to be doing and sometimes one belt is not the answer. I have two belts and i'm thinking about getting a third.

Belt 1 - http://www.schiek.com/belts.html

Ignore the bodybuilders, these are the best belts i've found for olympic weightlifting and general training. Broad at the front and the back with a slightly narrower section between the ribs, these belts allow good range of motion for snatch and clean and jerk while being supportive enough for fairly heavy squats and deadlifts. They have a proper buckle thats infinitely adjustable.

The only problem i've had with them is that their sizing chart is a bit out. if you are anywhere near the small end of the suggested sizing buy the smaller sized belt. At 108kg and about a 38" waist I can still wear a "medium". At the top end of PL they aren't really supportive enough and you may find your gut bending the belt out a little.

Beware of cheap imitation belts that look like the schiek belts but have only got a velcro closure, when the velcro wears out a bit they can pop open during a lift - very uncool.

I made pretty much every O lifter in our gym that uses a belt buy one of the Schiek belts and they all love them.

Belt 2 - Want maximum support? Prepared to deal with maximum pain?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVERBELT_LEVER13

Get an Inzer, preferably in pink because if you use one of these long enough you'll be so strong no one will make fun of you and no one steals a pink belt.

maximum PL legal width all the way round, ideal for digging into your ribs and hips leaving bruises and visibly burst blood vessels, also ideal for dieting since doing heavy deads in this belt can cause you to regurgitate your lunch.

On the plus side you get maximum support to brace against and the lever is easy to adjust for length (with a screwdriver) and makes tightening and loosening the belt easy. They also do a prong version and one thats got a ratchet fastening system.

I wear this belt for all my heavy deadlifts and squats and any strongman work like carries.

Downsides - impossible to do olympic lifting in, way too constrictive. Also can get very very painful. Buckle occasionally gets in the way doing strongman cleans.

This leads me to belt 3 which i'm thinking of buying.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVER_BB_TAPER_BUCKLE

It's sort of in between the other two.

4" wide at the back, about 3" at the front and around the hips which means less bruising and less digging into your stomach (=less puke in mouth)

thinner 10mm leather as opposed to 13mm

One of our 105kg lifters wears one of these for his squats and clean and jerks.

If i buy one i'll definitely get it in pink, possibly with rhinestones or sequins across the back :D

Kevin Perry
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Much appreciated info Don, I will definitely be looking into these ones.

Justin Herring
12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
So I take it there is a support versus comfort/mobility tradeoff?

I'm thinking strongly of getting a belt because I have a bit of a bum back and I am starting to run into back problems as I push my deadlift max up. I've backed off lifting near my PR, but I don't want to give up lifting heavy altogether.

I'm not that strong though, so I guess the Schiek would be enough for me.

Kevin Perry
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
update: I ordered a schiek belt, just waiting on the delivery so when it comes in i'll let you guys know how it fits and how it does after a while of use.

Chris Sullivan
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I got the bug after reading the same article. I hate to admit that I am a bit OCD when making purchases and it took me about a month to pick out a belt. I wanted a power belt from a company that makes them in the USA. I ended up buying the "athlete belt" from Best Belts. Their belts are handmade in NC and look pretty nice on the site. Because my basic criteria was met and the prices are reasonable, I pulled the trigger on Monday of this week (finally).

The belt arrived Wednesday (free FedEx ground shipping). The quality of the belt is outstanding and I highly recommend their product. I put it to work today and it's sturdy as hell. It's going to take a while to fully break in, but it worked great.

Linkee:
http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerlifting-Belts/Athlete.aspx

Justin Herring
03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I've been lifting on my Schiek belt for a couple of months now, and am a big fan. It is very comfortable and seems to give me all the support I need.

The size issue is real though--I have a 33-34 inch waist and I had to return the medium to get a small! I feel like Schiek is one of the women's stores that relabel all their clothes down a size or two so their customers will feel less fat. I guess Schiek trying to make us feel less fat? :)

Derek Simonds
03-13-2010, 05:38 AM
I bought an altus from sports authority to get into using a belt and have been pretty pleased with it.

Erik Reckdenwald
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
update: I ordered a schiek belt, just waiting on the delivery so when it comes in i'll let you guys know how it fits and how it does after a while of use.

I purchased a Schiek belt and used it over the weekend. It provided support for both the Snatch and C&J without being too rigid. Very pleased with this. Also, customer service was excellent.

Kevin Perry
03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I completely forgot about this thread.

Yea I ordered a schiek and it came in within a couple weeks but the sizing was way off but customer service was excellent and they switched it out for a another one really quickly. I've been using it for a while now, pretty much with each of the big lifts except the bench and the olympic lifts. It has provided a lot of support for my lower back and has definitely helped me improve posture with heavier loads as I don't lean over that far forward anymore in the squat. It's a comfortable belt, but it does not have a quick release prong like leather belts would have so you can't take it off immediately after a heavy set, after the velcro straps together, there is another strap that loops through a small d-ring which further tightens the belt.

It is very good quality though and comes with I think a two or three year no questions asked warranty so they stand by their product I think. I like it.

Don Stevenson
03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm glad it's not just me who had sizing issues with the Schiek belts!

Wayne Larsen
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Want maximum support? Prepared to deal with maximum pain? Get an Inzer, preferably in pink because if you use one of these long enough you'll be so strong no one will make fun of you and no one steals a pink belt.

The Inzer belts look good, but the size seems to be an awfully small range of 4 inches from smallest to largest (eg 36-39, 40-43). If that's the case, I'd have to buy two belts to cover me depending on what size I am at the moment. Are those size measurements accurate, or is that just the average size in the middle holes?

Dave Van Skike
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm still a big fan of the Spud belt. Gives a level or support that is about 80% of a leather belt but is way flexible and transportable.

Jay Ashman
03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I use a Schiek and I am thinking of trying the Spud out... I used to use the Inzer lever when I was doing strongman until somebody jacked it from me at the gym a few years back.... prick

Don Stevenson
03-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Jay, a friend of mine had the same problem with his Inzer belt getting nicked so he came up with a novel solution.

1. Buy Inzer belt in pink or light purple

2. Write "Princess" across the back

3. Problem solved

Wayne, I'll have to check my belt tomorrow but I recall mine as having quite a wide range of adjustment.

Jay Ashman
03-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Don, that will work but I am not too sure about doing that haha

Wayne Larsen
03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Wayne, I'll have to check my belt tomorrow but I recall mine as having quite a wide range of adjustment.

I'd be much obliged if you would Don, Thanks!

Don Stevenson
03-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Ok I measured up my Inzer belt.

I believe I have the Large size and with my 38" waist the lever sits almost right in the middle of the adjustment range.

The adjustment range spans 11" so I guess the Inzer sizing basically aims to put you in the middle of the belts range and then you are covered for years to come whether you become a twink or a bear.

I've got photos which i'll upload tomorrow

John Winters
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I recently received my Inzer Forever belt and I love that sucker. It is think, stiff, heavy, and leaves some nice love marks on my sides after squatting. The sizing is a bit funky and I'll probably have to blow a few holes in mine if I lose a little gut, but for heavy squats this thing is a Cadillac.

Garrett Smith
04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I love my Schiek. I use it for heavy sets of everything except bench. I've had it for over 15 years (never used it much until the last year though!), so I can say that the material will stick around for a while.

I just watched the Schiek video on how to fasten it properly. That was interesting, seemed useful, so I'm going to try it out the next time I'm on my 5/3/1 "1" week of lifting.

Derek Weaver
04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread. Elitefts has some double pronged belts for half off. Some sort of an oversight with regards to shipping.

Gant Grimes
04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=3404

I ordered one yesterday.

Re: belts, I love the Inzer and EliteFTS (or leather) for slow lifts and velcro for Oly.

Kevin Perry
04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the insight Derek, I also ordered one. 32 somtin bucks is a steal for a good leather belt.

Wayne Larsen
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
The adjustment range spans 11" so I guess the Inzer sizing basically aims to put you in the middle of the belts range and then you are covered for years to come whether you become a twink or a bear.

Thanks Don -- based on this I ordered the large Inzer lever. Just got it and used it for my squat workout last night, and couldn't be happier with it. 12 holes with 1" centers gives the 11" of adjustment range.

Also, fwiw for any fellow Canadians, I had to place a phone order, since Inzer's website insisted on charging me over $60 for shipping to Canada. End result was around 15 for shipping, and 20 for duty+taxes from UPS, and the end result was still cheaper than ordering from a Canadian source, given the exchange rate right now.

Kevin Perry
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
has anyone who has ordered one of the leather belts from Elite gotten theirs yet? I'm still waiting, haven't even gotten a tracking number or anything, been trying to get in touch with them about it.

Geoffrey Thompson
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I got mine pretty quick.

Garrett Smith
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm doing all of my 5/3/1 work sets with my Schiek belt, very happy with the progress so far. I don't think I'll ever really want/need a second belt that wouldn't be as good for OL as this one.

Joe Hart
04-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I had emailed a belt question to EFTS. They said that they are still waiting for the MFG to get the new shipment to them. Apparently there was a quality problem. I have not been to the site lately, but previously they didn't even have thier belts up on the site for sale. I would email them. They responded that day to my question.

Derek Simonds
04-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Joe is right the MFG screwed up the initial order and they put those belts on sale for 50% off a couple of weeks ago.

Derek Weaver
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
has anyone who has ordered one of the leather belts from Elite gotten theirs yet? I'm still waiting, haven't even gotten a tracking number or anything, been trying to get in touch with them about it.

FWIW, I think that EliteFTS is about as terrible as it gets when it comes to customer service as it gets.

I work in a job that relies heavily on customer service/care, and at this point make a note if I receive quality service or if I get terrible service.

EliteFTS is awful. When I ordered my Econo Prowler through them, I never got a shipping confirmation, but did get a reply to check my spam folder (nothing in there). One line at the most. The only reason I posted that link for the belts was due to the solid deal they were offering.

On the flip side, a different kind of supply company, but Perform Better has been outstanding whenever I've ordered from them. I've got 3 sets of kettlebells that I saved for over a year or so, and each time they were great to deal with. Not the same type of equipment or field that EliteFTS caters to, but they're alright. They've got a few belts as well.

Steve Shafley
04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I've never had anything but good service with EliteFTS.

I got my SSB bar from their warehouse to me in 18 hours.

Regarding belts.

1 prong or lever. 2 prongs are a major hassle.

Lighter belts work well to hold down a bench shirt, power belts? Not so well.

Dave Van Skike
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I've never had anything but good service with EliteFTS.

I got my SSB bar from their warehouse to me in 18 hours.

Regarding belts.

1 prong or lever. 2 prongs are a major hassle.

Lighter belts work well to hold down a bench shirt, power belts? Not so well.

same here. when i was helping wendler pay for his new chopper, .(electronic copy of 531 manual) the file got bounced by my email server @ work. I called and had a fresh new pdf. within 3 minutes. same thing with my belt. bought a single prong on sale in a color they didn't have in stock, they got it turned around in a week. i've bought maybe 6 or 7 other little things over the last year, good fast customer service all round.

shipping on that prowler is brutal, having a local welder build one for the cost of shippign alone.

Steve Shafley
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
One of my athlete's dads saw my econoprowler and said he could weld me up a few more if I wanted.

Derek Weaver
10-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Bump.

When you guys are talking about the spud belt, are you talking about either of these?
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=299&m=PD&pid=2480
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=299&m=PD&pid=2840

EDIT:
If so, I'm a little confused how to measure. Anyone know if the measurements are true to size?

My actual waist where I wear my belt is as low as 29" and as high as 31" up to 32" after all you can eat sushi. I get substantially thicker in a hurry at the navel and above.

I just realized I look really odd through the torso.

Derek Weaver
10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Beeeump.

I have broken down and realize I need to pony up for a new belt. Preferably one with that will serve the purpose for the slow lifts only. Don't care about the oly lifts at this point anymore.

Anyone know if the spud inc belts will do for squats. I've read mixed reviews, as to their multipurpose-ness (made that term up).

Gotta protect the back a little more than the cheap belt I've got right now.

Kevin Perry
10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Derek,

I have no experience with the spud belts but I started breaking in an inzer forever belt which is built very sturdy. It's a bit pricey though, 67ish i think.

The shiek I got earlier this year is really good too i think it's a bit cheaper around 50.

Derek Weaver
10-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Cool. Still looking for a good compromise. Anything shy of maybe $70 can still fit in my price range. My big concern is pulling. Something's happened that has made my low back feel very vulnerable pulling. I think it's psychological because my squat feels more stable and has gone from pathetic to "meh", recently.

I just am not really in a position to be dropping duckets on two belts for squatting and pulling. Need a utility belt if you will.

A little more support may help me man up and get a decent pull going.

Derek Weaver
10-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I sacked up and just ordered the 3 Ply Spud. If anyone is still wondering about any of this, I'll review the belt in the next couple of weeks and post it here, or in a new thread. If not, well... I won't.

henry whitaker
11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Hey Derek,

How is that Spud working out? I am in the market for a belt and am thinking about this one. I know you said you didn't want to use it for olys but do you think that one could use it for the oly lifts?

Derek Weaver
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Henry,
This seems like a fine time to turn in a review of the Spud 3-Ply belt.

I've now had it for a little over a month, and used for it for something like 9 lower body workouts. Some background on the belt:
- Sturdy, 3 ply design in the back for added stability/rigidity/stiffness. I believe 2 ply around the sides to the front.
- Uses a velcro strap to secure in place.
- Very solid. Not sure how this would compare to an Inzer or any of the other 2-prong, leather PL belts, but it fits my purpose well.

Pros:
- Like above, solid and sturdy.
- The velcro strap makes it easy to secure.
- Flexible enough that you can likely hit the Oly lifts in it, but it wouldn't suit competition purposes. Nor would it be legal.

Likely an individual thing to me, but with my recent hip issues, and some low back stuff I've had, I am very conscious about my low back rounding out. This belt gives me a good barrier to brace against, and I have done well with it. I'm only 5'6" a shade above 160 lbs today and hit a 3 rep 275 Front Box Squat with room to spare on Sunday night.

The old belt I had was helpful but didn't seem to help me brace as well. Say what you want, but a lift is a lift. If I can feel better psychologically with a belt and hit a bigger lift, that's all I'm looking for.

Cons:
- I would be shocked if this belt were allowed in any PL or Oly competition. I don't know enough about either one with regards to equipment, but it would be a huge surprise.
- Like I noted above, the velcro strap will wear out eventually, where as a leather pronged belt should hold up for damn near any amount of time if taken care of.
- Can be a little tough to get it as tight as you want, but I solved this by sucking in my stomach, tightening the belt, then releasing and got it plenty cinched in. I've ended up with some slight bruising around the sides, but from what was said earlier in this thread, nothing like an Inzer will produce.

I think this belt was ~$60 shipped. Good deal and so far well worth the price. I don't lift competitively, and have no plans to do so. If I did, I would go with a different belt, unless you have the cash to get more than one belt. If you wanted it as a training belt for some reason, you can't really go wrong.

Don Stevenson
11-25-2010, 10:31 PM
The only limitation on belts in Olympic weightlifting is the maximum width of 120mm.

I don;t know what the rules are in the various PL feds but I recall that the inzer PR belt with the ratchet thing on the front was banned by the IPF I think.

What makes you think it might get banned?

Derek Weaver
12-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Just saw this reply...

I remember seeing on a forum when I was doing research, maybe Wanna Be Big, that USAPL was a little vague in the rule book. Said something about the levers, prongs, buckles etc., but made no mention of the ring/velco strap of the Spud Inc belts.

To be honest though, I can't remember where I saw it, or if that was only part of the conversation and if anyone confirmed whether it would be legal.

for me though, I don't plan in competing at a meet, so it's good for me.

Collin O'Neill
04-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a small Schiek 3004 powerlifting belt. I am working my way up through a back injury, but I hit ~65% of my 1RM the other day and had it on for shits and giggles. I really liked the way it felt, and I think it will work well for me.

I am going from a 6" to the 4.5", and while I thought I would miss the extra width, it is stiff enough to provide support.

Jesus, that is a terrible sounding sentence were you to take it out of context.

Anyway, chalk up another happy Schiek customer.

David Pak
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I've been trying to CSI style zoom-in from the photos of the Catalyst athlete photos and it looks like a lot of them wear a soft belt.

Also from the Paleo Solutions Podcast #128 it sounds like Gregg Everett suggests a Classic 4" belt from Valeo (http://www.valeofit.com/?id=10&prodId=6&CatId=26&Parent=4).

What are the cool kids wearing these days?

Tamara Reynolds
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I wore the 4" Harbinger velcro belt for two years. I could never get the Valeo to fit right. Last year, I switched to a 3" suede belt from Best Belts, and I've stuck with that.

David Pak
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I wore the 4" Harbinger velcro belt for two years. I could never get the Valeo to fit right. Last year, I switched to a 3" suede belt from Best Belts, and I've stuck with that.

Thanks Tamara!

The Harbinger and the Valeo 4" look pretty much the same to me. Was there anything that you can recall that stood out between the two that made a difference?

Søren Wahlgren
06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
For those interested in the subject I wrote a small article about the matter
http://htfu.dk/weightlifting-belts-and-you

My personal favorite is the Harbinger belt but the spud sounds interesting.