PDA

View Full Version : Supplement for an alcoholic

Amy Crawford
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
One of my brothers is an alcoholic. He's been drinking for 35 years, with random short stints of sobriety. I'm buying him some supplements ... the one's that my husband & I take ... multi, vitD, fish oil, probiotic. I'm sure his liver is pretty trashed. Is there something else specific I should get for him? Besides sobriety?

Amy Crawford
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I should add that about 2 months ago, he fell out of a tree and has an L2 compression fracture. While falling, he tried to grab the trunk, and badly damaged his right hand, causing a nasty infection. It took 3 rounds of antibiotic to get rid of the infection. He's not near me, so I have little direct influence on his life, but want to be as helpful as possible.

Garrett Smith
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
This is what I would use:
http://www.thorne.com/Products/Detoxification/Hepatic_Support/prd~SF773.jsp

Research on the main ingredient, SF733:
http://www.ultrathistle.com/siliphos_clinical_research.html

If you'd like to go through me to get it, simply PM me, I use it in my practice.

Whey protein is also good for boosting glutathione, which would help.

Amy Crawford
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the quick response Garrett. Does it matter, with regards to this supplement, if he's still drinking? I'm pretty sure he is, but not 100%.

Garrett Smith
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
It will help regardless, IMO. In fact, it is best for him to start helping his liver ASAP, regardless of whether he is drinking or not.

FWIW, guys using steroids typically make sure they are on liver-supportive herbs especially when they are on cycle.

Mike ODonnell
12-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I think Dr G may have already hit on it.....milk thistle

Amy Crawford
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot fellas. I really appreciate it, and hopefully my brother will too!

Mike ODonnell
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Stress how important the liver is to his health and wellbeing.....as we only have one of them!