PDA

View Full Version : Form check

Jason Gilbreath
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Getting ready for first competition in January. Are there any glaring mistakes in my C&J form? Thanks for any input. http://www.vimeo.com/8122375

Stats:
5'4"
142 lbs.
Snatch 160 lbs.
C&J 220 lbs.

Jason

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Jason,
I do not have the critical eye yet. But the only glaring thing that stands out to me is your recovery. You're stepping forward to recover.

As I understand it, you split. Then you do the following:
1) bring your front foot back to center.
2) bring your back foot back to center.

The way you are currently doing the recovery causes you to step all the way forward to your front foot. Easy way to lose something heavier that pushes your limits.

Best to practice keeping that barbell stationery overhead by moving your feet back and forward so you don't go walkabout with it overhead.

Hope that helps a bit?

All the best,
Arden

Jason Gilbreath
12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Arden, thanks for the feedback. I will make sure to work on the recovery steps when I lift today.

Brian DeGennaro
12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Not bad whatsoever, all those looked too easy to consider "training" weights. I especially like your turnover in the snatch.

On the cleans, I do think you can keep the bar closer throughout the pull under, stay over the bar longer.

On the jerk, don't pause so much in the dip, hit that dip and explode up from there, and try to place that front foot more further ahead.

On your snatch (couldn't help but look), try to stay over that bar longer once more and try to remain flat-footed longer.

other than that, all of those were pretty good. For all of them, just speed the movements up and be more aggressive, those looked pathetically easy for you.

Martin Bonn
12-13-2009, 07:44 AM
you've got some nice speed under the bar, especially in the snatch!

you have the same problem in the jerk that i ve got: dipping to deep and almost stopping.
try to shorten your dip and drive more aggressively out of it!
it also looks like you have all the weight on the front foot, that's probably because you a driving forwards out of the dip, i found that a shorter dip takes care of that!

hope that helps!

Jason Gilbreath
12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Brian, Maybe a stupid question but what would be a cue for staying over the bar longer?

Jason Gilbreath
12-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I've worked on shortening my dip, I'll post a video soon so somebody can tell me if it looks better/worse.

Brian DeGennaro
12-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Focus on keeping your chest over the bar for as long as possible.

Jason Gilbreath
12-16-2009, 10:27 AM
New videos posted: http://www.vimeo.com/8221740 ("C&J and Snatch 12-14")
I tried to focus on shortening my dip on the C&Js, still went too low on the 2nd lift (when watching I noticed the weight moving forward). On snatches I focused on recieving the bar with more weight on my heels, on the last lift I had too much weight on my toes and ended up having to step forward.
Which lift looked best/worst? Thanks for the feedback, I'm starting to pick up small things to focus on fixing.

Brian DeGennaro
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Your last C&J was your best, without a doubt.

Two things, focus on staying on those heels longer in the clean and strengthen that rack position. Push those shoulders into the bar and keep those elbows up.

Your 2nd and 3rd snatch were really good, nice and quick and solid. Not much to complain here, just maybe widen your stance a little bit on the receipt, and maybe, just maybe, focus on keeping that bar closer on the pull under. You are sort of exaggerating your head through and I think it is because the bar is a little forward.

What weight class are you and what meet are you preparing for?

Jason Gilbreath
12-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Texas Open in Austin. Weight class will be 69 kg. Just looking to have fun and get stronger while learning the o-lifts better. Previously I had been doing CF for about a year and half before focusing more on strength development through Crossfit football, and more recently old catalyst cycles. I would like to get my snatch up to 175 and C&J to 240 (not by January, just at some point).

Brian DeGennaro
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I can see you doing more like 185 on the snatch.