PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Backwards

Sam McGowan
12-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I've started videoing some of my lifts and was playing around with kinovea. What I've found is that I am jumping backwards about 8 inches or so on both the snatch and clean.

I am not sure how to correct this, any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

Brian DeGennaro
12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Post a video, it would be hard to tell without one why you are jumping back.

Sam McGowan
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM
http://vimeo.com/8303845

Here's one video of me snatching 155lbs. Still waiting on the file with the trajectory to upload.

Thanks for any feedback.

Best,
Sam

Emily Mattes
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
1) During the third pull you're shrugging back, way back, practically throwing your upper body backwards. Think of shrugging straight up, focus on that while doing pulls. (OK technically Oly lifters shrug under the bar, not up, but thinking of shrugging up can be a good cue if you're shrugging back).

2) Tighten your back. See how rounded it is when you pick up the bar? You don't want that. Flex your lats and keep the bar close to you, it's the same muscles you want to recruit when doing an RDL.

3) Look forward, don't throw your head up.

4) You may be pulling with the arms a bit but I can't really tell from this angle.

5) Catch it tighter! Part of this is because you're swinging the bar from throwing yourself back though.

Focus on pulling straight up when you practice pulls, and try doing some drop snatches to work on the stability and dropping quick and straight under the bar, and high-hang snatches to focus on that third pull.

Sam McGowan
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the pointers here -- plenty to work on here!

Robert Callahan
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
5) Catch it tighter! Part of this is because you're swinging the bar from throwing yourself back though.

Just wanted to reiterate what Emily said here. One good cue for receiving the bar better is to think aggressively drive the bar up with your arms and shoulders as soon as you are underneath it before the weight has even started to load on you again.