PDA

View Full Version : Squat plateau

David Lawson
12-24-2009, 09:31 PM
I squat till 100kg and stayed there for 6 months. I ate enough calories to maintain my weight. I eat 400g of meat a day, with fewfolds more of carbs and fat that comes with those meat and carbs. I go to the gym 3 times a week, 2 days is squat with one is high rep one is max effort.

My weight is 165lbs 5'6".

Brian DeGennaro
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Why not just squat heavy both days?

Also, what exactly are you eating and what exactly are you doing for your training?

Jay Ashman
12-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Also, what exactly are you eating and what exactly are you doing for your training?

Brian, he made a thread calling sprinting speed where we outlined a ton of resources for him to look at and he asked the same questions a few times without reading the resources... I think its a troll or a person that wants his hand held

David Lawson
12-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Cuz that's not what the program my coach gave me?

Breakfast
2 bakery buns

Lunch
200g of fried chicken legs, 60g of protein
the corresponding white rice that has the same amount of carb as much as protein.
1 cup bok choy

Dinner
2 more bakery buns
200g of fried tuna
the corresponding white rice that has the same amount of carb as much as protein.
1 cup cabbage

Total, around over 3,500 calories.

"Mon: Upper body
A1. Dot drill - for warmup (2 sets)
http://www.davenport.k12.ia.us/smart/sports/bigger%20faster%20stronger/dot_drill.htm
B1. Depth Jump (use a box around 18-25 inches high)- 6 x 3
*C1. Hang Power Snatch 4 x 4
*D1. Bench Press- 5 x 5 (use same weight each set - start with a weight you can do about 7 times. you probably won't get 5 reps for all 5 sets, but when you can increase the weight by 5 pounds the following week)
*E1. Chest supported row/One arm DB row/Seated cable row-3 x 8
E2. Decline Close Grip bench (or skullcrushers) 3 x 8

Wed: Upper body, lower body and ab
*A1. 1/2 squat- 4 x 3 (stop a few inches shy of parallel)
A2 depth drop - (from 35-40 inch box) 4 x 6 (perform just the landing phase of a depth jump). Alternate back and forth between the squats and depth drops.
*B1. Dumbell shoulder laterals - 3 x 12
B2. Hanging leg raise – 3 x as many reps as possible
C1. Wrist curl - 2 x 50
C2. Reverse wrist curl 2 x 50

Fri:Upper body
A1. Dot drill (for warm-up)
B1. Depth jump 6 x 3
*C1. Hang power snatch 4 x 4, 3, 2, 1
*D1. Bench Press- 1 x 5 (work up to 1 all out set of 5)
*E1. Pull-ups 3 sets to failure
F1. Preacher curl(ez curl bar) - 3 x 10

Take your time in between sets. Basically just go when you're ready. After 4 weeks on this routine, take 2 weeks off the lower body work while continuing the upper body work. Your lower body explosive gains should peak during your 2 week break.

On your diet end, make sure you eat enough to keep your weight up. Eat at least 4 meals per day with a minimum of 30 grams of protein at each meal. There's no real need to make it too complicated as you don't sound like you need to drop any weight."

Gavin Harrison
12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I squat till 100kg and stayed there for 6 months. I ate enough calories to maintain my weight. I eat 400g of meat a day, with fewfolds more of carbs and fat that comes with those meat and carbs. I go to the gym 3 times a week, 2 days is squat with one is high rep one is max effort.

My weight is 165lbs 5'6".

"Mon: Upper body
A1. Dot drill - for warmup (2 sets)
http://www.davenport.k12.ia.us/smart/sports/bigger%20faster%20stronger/dot_drill.htm
B1. Depth Jump (use a box around 18-25 inches high)- 6 x 3
*C1. Hang Power Snatch 4 x 4
*D1. Bench Press- 5 x 5 (use same weight each set - start with a weight you can do about 7 times. you probably won't get 5 reps for all 5 sets, but when you can increase the weight by 5 pounds the following week)
*E1. Chest supported row/One arm DB row/Seated cable row-3 x 8
E2. Decline Close Grip bench (or skullcrushers) 3 x 8

Wed: Upper body, lower body and ab
*A1. 1/2 squat- 4 x 3 (stop a few inches shy of parallel)
A2 depth drop - (from 35-40 inch box) 4 x 6 (perform just the landing phase of a depth jump). Alternate back and forth between the squats and depth drops.
*B1. Dumbell shoulder laterals - 3 x 12
B2. Hanging leg raise 3 x as many reps as possible
C1. Wrist curl - 2 x 50
C2. Reverse wrist curl 2 x 50

Fri:Upper body
A1. Dot drill (for warm-up)
B1. Depth jump 6 x 3
*C1. Hang power snatch 4 x 4, 3, 2, 1
*D1. Bench Press- 1 x 5 (work up to 1 all out set of 5)
*E1. Pull-ups 3 sets to failure
F1. Preacher curl(ez curl bar) - 3 x 10

Take your time in between sets. Basically just go when you're ready. After 4 weeks on this routine, take 2 weeks off the lower body work while continuing the upper body work. Your lower body explosive gains should peak during your 2 week break.

On your diet end, make sure you eat enough to keep your weight up. Eat at least 4 meals per day with a minimum of 30 grams of protein at each meal. There's no real need to make it too complicated as you don't sound like you need to drop any weight."

I think its a troll

There's a mild miss-match between your first and second post, mostly one in which you claim to be squatting twice a week, but in your listed program, you're HALF SQUATTING ONE TIME PER WEEK.

Steven Low
12-26-2009, 01:53 AM
What exactly is that program supposed to accomplish?

Jay Ashman
12-26-2009, 05:15 AM
What exactly is that program supposed to accomplish?

Aren't Depth jumps mainly used for jumpers and those looking to increase their vertical?

This program is odd...

Chris H Laing
12-26-2009, 09:41 AM

Your coach for which sport? What exactly are you training for?

Mike ODonnell
12-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Your coach is telling you to eat bakery buns and fried food? Time for a new coach.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-26-2009, 02:40 PM
First, What are goals? Second, how much are you paying your coach?

I say "goals" because i can't read between the lines on anything in that program and sort it out. The diet is very reminease (sp) of power lifters trying to move up a weight class - yet, the program is devoid of that focus. Maybe perhaps wrestling? And you're wanting to get chubby without the benefits of squats and deadlifts? I say "how much are you paying" because there is something amiss on that front.

I am technically a coach (USAW), but I've never and will never charge anyone for any advice I give or program I help design, etc. But there is something devoid of focus in your program.

You're shallow squatting one day a week and your squat is stagnant? I was going to say - as Brian recommended - squat more. But after seeing the program, i'm not sure I can truly give you any advise that would fall within the guidelines.

all the best, Arden

David Lawson
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
There's a mild miss-match between your first and second post, mostly one in which you claim to be squatting twice a week, but in your listed program, you're HALF SQUATTING ONE TIME PER WEEK.
Sorry, I just forgot I did once.
First, What are goals? Second, how much are you paying your coach?

I say "goals" because i can't read between the lines on anything in that program and sort it out. The diet is very reminease (sp) of power lifters trying to move up a weight class - yet, the program is devoid of that focus. Maybe perhaps wrestling? And you're wanting to get chubby without the benefits of squats and deadlifts? I say "how much are you paying" because there is something amiss on that front.

I am technically a coach (USAW), but I've never and will never charge anyone for any advice I give or program I help design, etc. But there is something devoid of focus in your program.

You're shallow squatting one day a week and your squat is stagnant? I was going to say - as Brian recommended - squat more. But after seeing the program, i'm not sure I can truly give you any advise that would fall within the guidelines.

all the best, Arden
Goals- 40" vertical jump and to dunk from free throw line, very fast sprint like Kobe Bryant, to win basketball games(that's what I told him) and a strong upper body(was, but not anymore now). Now I also want to be explosive.

I paid him USD$100. He is Kelly Baggett. I've just contacted him through email and never met him b4.

What's USAW? USA Weightlifting association?

Jay Ashman
12-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Sorry, I just forgot I did once.

Goals- 40" vertical jump and to dunk from free throw line, very fast sprint like Kobe Bryant, to win basketball games(that's what I told him) and a strong upper body(was, but not anymore now). Now I also want to be explosive.

I paid him USD$100. He is Kelly Baggett. I've just contacted him through email and never met him b4.

40" vertical? dunk from free throw line?

those are lofty goals... how about starting smaller and taking steps to improve your game before trying to be like Mike

Aaron Austin
12-27-2009, 05:57 AM
So, you couldn't read the article from Kelly's site here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4942&page=3 where you wanted to be faster in the 100m.
Now, you tell us you hired the guy to be you coach with a pricing package that he doesn't offer: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/consultation.html and you want to squat more than 100 kg, but you really want to dunk from the free throw line and jump 40" straight up - despite being 5' 6".
You are the first person on my ignore list.

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-27-2009, 08:27 AM
The training part of the program looks suited to your goals. Not sure about the diet though.

Given the parameters that you are operating under, it's difficult to truly focus on improving your squat. Seriously.

What is your current vertical? How close are you to dunking from the free throw line? What's your age?

all the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-27-2009, 08:29 AM

Yes. I took the course to coach my daughters and to set up an ECG ("East Coast Gold") satelite in West Virginia.

If the Regional coaching course is offered next year during "Weightlifting Camp" at Moorestown, I'll take that too.

All the best,
Arden

David Lawson
12-27-2009, 07:03 PM
The training part of the program looks suited to your goals. Not sure about the diet though.

Given the parameters that you are operating under, it's difficult to truly focus on improving your squat. Seriously.

What is your current vertical? How close are you to dunking from the free throw line? What's your age?

all the best,
Arden
I'm 24" vertical. From the free throw line, well extremely far. 21.

Jay Ashman
12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
David...

I don't even know where to begin. I think you are a troll, but let's assume you are not.

I checked out that page Aaron posted about the pricing package and your package isn't on there, and I would be amazed if a guy programmed half squats in a strength program designed to maximize vertical jumping. That makes absolutely zero sense to me...

Plus you are 21, and you have a 24" vertical and want to hit 40" and then dunk from the free throw line as well? Do you realize that these are impossible goals? It takes an exceptional athlete to be able to do the free throw line dunk, one with ungodly amounts of vertical leaping ability as well as explosivness.

http://vertcoach.com/highest-vertical-leap.html

Some of the most explosive NBA players are around 40", with some above.

If you aren't a troll (which I doubt) I strongly suggest lowering your expectations by a large amount and analyzing your program further.

First you want to get sprinting speed, now you want to increase your vertical and bound from the free throw line like Dr. J. I just don't think you are for real.

David Lawson
12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Jay, don't make me do this. Why the damn that you ppl keep referring to the pricing package. How long was this, it was over a year ago I bought his program, couldn't his damn program change price during that damn period?! What's the damn big deal on the price. It just went up by USD$50, don't businesses up their price if they have alot of demand.

You want proof, I have email exchanges that have him claiming he received the money. Jay, how stupid can you be when you send ppl email of their money being claimed, that's not like a cheque is it? How're ppl gonna know that you actually paid?

Jay Ashman
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Jay, don't make me do this. Why the damn that you ppl keep referring to the pricing package. How long was this, it was over a year ago I bought his program, couldn't his damn program change price during that damn period?! What's the damn big deal on the price. It just went up by USD$50, don't businesses up their price if they have alot of demand.

You want proof, I have email exchanges that have him claiming he received the money. Jay, how stupid can you be when you send ppl email of their money being claimed, that's not like a cheque is it? How're ppl gonna know that you actually paid?

Simmer down tough guy, this is the internet, and judging by your previous posts, it appeared fishy, plus that is an odd program to help a guy increase speed and vertical. Its basically zero leg strength development, you are squatting half-squats once a week and doing depth jumps. You need to get stronger, period, while working on your jumping ability.

Then you have these otherworldly goals of dunking from the free throw line and doing a 40" vertical jump, don't you see how lofty those goals are? Sure, we would all love that, but realistically that isn't going to happen.

Regardless, good luck with your training, I hope you find what you are looking for, but when you come off in one thread about increasing your speed and you ignore all our suggestions of reading material because you don't want to read something that long, and then you make a thread like this... how do you expect people to react?

Gavin Harrison
12-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Why the damn are you such alot damn troll damn?! How damn free tiem damn you have to damn stuff up from damn nothing?

Chris H Laing
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Why the damn are you such alot damn troll damn?! How damn free tiem damn you have to damn stuff up from damn nothing?

Fixed it for you.

Also, Jay, you don't need to explain yourself to the troll.

Jay Ashman
12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Fixed it for you.

Oh I realize that 100%, but I enjoy it at times. Especially when my day of training people is done and I am winding down before bed... its the boredom factor :D

David Lawson
12-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Simmer down tough guy, this is the internet, and judging by your previous posts, it appeared fishy, plus that is an odd program to help a guy increase speed and vertical. Its basically zero leg strength development, you are squatting half-squats once a week and doing depth jumps. You need to get stronger, period, while working on your jumping ability.

Then you have these otherworldly goals of dunking from the free throw line and doing a 40" vertical jump, don't you see how lofty those goals are? Sure, we would all love that, but realistically that isn't going to happen.

Regardless, good luck with your training, I hope you find what you are looking for, but when you come off in one thread about increasing your speed and you ignore all our suggestions of reading material because you don't want to read something that long, and then you make a thread like this... how do you expect people to react?
Well my questions were kinda straight forward I don't think my posts look fishy. Ok, first of all, I've read most of his articles from his site, including the one suggested, spent hours and days reading 'em. 2ndly, I don't have a clue what he is saying. And 3rd, I was asking for ppl whether they understand what he is saying. So that's why I don't wanna read it, again.

Fixed it for you.

Are you gonna help? If not shut ur bloody mouth. Oh and sorry, I didn't notice this was the bring down whoever posts threads forum. lol

Steven Low
12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
You are one bad post from getting yourself banned.

If you're not willing to learn, why post here?

The articles he wrote EXPLAIN why he recommends certain exercises. If you don't understand them read them again until you do.

Dense material takes time to learn. If you're not willing to put in the effort then you're not going to be learning much else here from what anyone posts anyway.

Jay Ashman
12-29-2009, 07:37 PM
You are one bad post from getting yourself banned.

If you're not willing to learn, why post here?

The articles he wrote EXPLAIN why he recommends certain exercises. If you don't understand them read them again until you do.

Dense material takes time to learn. If you're not willing to put in the effort then you're not going to be learning much else here from what anyone posts anyway.

what he said.... except for the banning part, I can't do that :D