PDA

View Full Version : Snatch deadlifts question

Garrett Smith
12-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Snatch deadlifts (and clean deadlifts for that matter):

Scoop or no scoop?

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-26-2009, 03:39 PM
If you are doing them as deadlifts - why scoop?

If you are doing them as pulls - to overload that part of the snatch (110%) - then I would say scoop, drive the heels, shrug, high elbows.

If are you using them as part of an overall OLY program, yes, scoop. If you are doing them as a variation of a deadlift, for overall strength, then I see no need to scoop or the other three times I listed above.

All the best,
Arden

Greg Everett
12-26-2009, 06:24 PM
scoop is a natural result of a speedy pull from the right position - so a DL should not have it, because you'd be faking it. you might get a bit of forward knee travel as the bar travels up the thighs, but nothing pronounced.

Garrett Smith
12-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks fellas, all of it makes sense.

glennpendlay
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe a little different than what Greg said, but I think in the same vein, is, scoop till it doesnt happen anymore, then dont scoop. In my experience, the "scoop" will happen up to about 110 to 120% of your one rep maximum... depending on how proficient you are at the snatch. Then it simply wont happen anymore. Dont try to force it if it isnt happening on its own.

Glenn

Andrew Meador
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Has anybody found that there is a particular depth to the snatch deadlifts that is most effective? I've been executing them with a near-vertical torso on risers high enough that my shoes are literally touching the bar at the bottom. The weight is relatively low for sets of 6 concentrics, about the weight of my best snatch. I've found that my glutes and popliteal muscles are benefitting greatly, but I wonder if I'm overdoing the ROM and I'd be better off standing on shorter risers. Thanks,

Andrew