PDA

View Full Version : concetric and eccentric DL question

Leslie Poole
12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
When I start getting heavy with my DL, and I start to fail in the concentric phase, my eccentric phase is still strong. Even on my a PR weight, my eccentric phase will be very clean, even if I started to give on the way up. I know this should tell me something about my body and my training, but I don't really understand it. Anybody have any thoughts?

Arden Cogar Jr.
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I would say it's fairly typical assessment.

Most folk can handle 110 to 120% of their concentric max for a prolonged negative without failure.

To me, the more pertinent question is "where do you fail on the concentric phase?" Shin, Mid, or lower thigh?

I ask that because, if you want to improve your deadlift performance, I would advocate the use of rack pulls from the point of failure up with near maximal weights after your regular pulling sessions to overlload your system. This would "groove" your body to pull maximal weights from your failure point and, arguably, improve your performance in the lift.

That said, rack pulls are something I would only recommend once or twice a month (assuming you have weekly pulling sessions). Reason being is maximal effort pulls from any range fry the CNS pretty hard. Body can't take it too often.

All the best,
Arden

Mike ODonnell
12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Like Arden said, most people are 20%+ stronger in the eccentric portion of any exercise, hence why people apply heavy negatives on occasion (but not too often, otherwise you just fry the CNS and performance will drop).

Leslie Poole
12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
That's very interesting. I think I'll start working some heavy negatives and maybe some rack pulls. The fail point is usually right off the floor or in the shin. Once I move up, I feel like I could handle the weight, but it's too late.

Thanks, guys

Gavin Harrison
12-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I got some old time strongman manuals for Christmas, so this is an interesting relation ;)

Bob Peoples designed and built some hydraulic lifts for performing negatives (eccentrics) in the deadlift/squat/overhead press, and used a "kick out bar" contraption for bench press negatives. I could look it up, but I believe he would use a form of what he calls a "double progressive", working up to 7 controlled negatives then increase the weight. Another method he used would be to do his normal double progressive system doing a negative after the last rep, working from 3 to 5 reps+negative.

Greg Everett
12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
concentric < isometric < eccentric. nothing about you personally, just how muscles work.