PDA

View Full Version : RyanS' Training Log

Ryan Secor
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
So I've never done a training log on a forum, but after lurking for a while on the forums here I think it would really be beneficial for me to start doing so on here for a couple reasons. First - I know I'd really benefit from other rather knowledgeable people I've seen on these forums - so feel free to chime in or PM me with any advice/feedback/etc. Second - I always lose my training data when I try to keep hardcopies (or it ends up making a mess in the house), so it'll be much easier for me to just something like this online. We'll see how it goes.

I know it might be a weird place for me to log workouts since I have more of a powerlifting background and powerlifting tends to currently interest me more than OLY lifting, but as I previously mentioned I think I'd benefit from many I've seen on this forum.

In the following initial posts I'm going to list my current training history, training strategy, goals, personal stats, etc. I will periodically update them to reflect my current stats, PRs and goals.

Ryan Secor
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I started working out at 15 when I got Arnold Schwarznegger's Encyclopedia for Bodybuilding and my grandparents bought me a gym membership. It was probably an act of charity more than anything since at the time I was about 5'11" and no more than 130 lbs - you could literally count each of my ribs and my arms were about the size of my wrists. I fell in love with the gym, being strong and followed some variation of a bodybuilding/powerlifting protocol sometimes with some BUD/S prep stuff sprinkled in there for most of my training (from sources like Arnold's book, Milk and Squats, Max-OT, T-Nation, etc). It paid off and by the time I found Crossfit (about 6 years later), I was a strong (but slow) 240+ lbs.

After I graduated college (2006), I found a job requiring me to be in better cardiovascular condition (and really couldn't in my current physical state) I started looking for something that might help me. I stumbled across CF and started doing it regularly.

In April 2008 I broke hand, had two surgeries to fix it. Then in September 2008 I broke my ankle, didn't realize it, and just had surgery in August 2009 to fix it. So the last 18 months has been particularly difficult for me training-wise. I've only been 100% healthy for training a few of those months, but have still managed to maintain my strength (no real increases in maximal strength since I started CF), became fairly capable in most movements and hit a 3:02 Fran among other things.

My most recent surgery has messed with my mind and body probably more than anything. I mean I've had three surgeries in the last 18 months and I honestly just stopped training for the last 5 months because of my ankle. The benefit of it is that I've spent a lot of time learning more about training and nutrition and stuff.. but I'm just now trying to get back into shape and help my ankle heal fully. I've put on a good 25# of fat, virtually lost all metabolic conditioning, but my strength is still decent (my squat and deadlift are obviously lacking due to ankle stability/strength issues). I'm starting to get back into it now that my PT has ordered me to start doing stuff like this on my own.

That's my short version of my training history leading up to today...

Ryan Secor
12-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Stats as of 12/28/2009
Ht: 6'2" (rounded up)
Wt: 230#
BF %: 17% (based on 7-site skinfold) - the highest I've ever been

Current Training/Physical Goals:
#1 - 1500# Powerlifting Total by 2011 (posted 12-28-09)
I think the most realistic way for my to accomplish is by having a:
600# Deadlift
500# Back Squat
400# Bench Press
All these seem pretty similar given my current and past levels of strength.

#2 - Rehab ankle & bring metabolic conditioning up to a level that I can work successfully and safely - I know this is terribly abstract - basically I need to be able to physically run and physically exert myself at fullest capabilities for around the 10 minutes. I'm currently not working at full duty capacities and would like to ASAP.... and be able to adequately myself and others (posted 12-28-09)

#3 - Keep weight in/above the 220-225# @ no more than 10% bodyfat (posted 12-28-09)

#4 - Stay injury free! I'm done being hurt.

Personal Records
I will edit/update various benchmarks I find beneficial - once I start working out a little more frequently I'll try to make everything updated so that all PR's are a little more current

Powerlifting Total - 1230# (01-02-10)
Back Squat - 395# (11-18-08)
Deadlift - 605# (04-28-10)
Bench Press - 315# (12-28-09)
Press - 175# (01-01-10)
Helen - 8:23 (11-29-08)
Fran - 3:02 (11-13-08)

Ryan Secor
12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I may go into this further later on down the road, but right now my strategy is as follows:

- Lift Heavy and progress as long as possible
- Do some sort metabolic conditioning (preferably short and heavy - I don't see any need to train beyond 10-20 minute domain for what I do)
- Recover (eat, sleep, and rest)

My training will reflect this. Call it whatever you like, but I just call it working it and training smart. I'd say my training strategy is quite similar to Catalyst's (except powerlifting instead of Oly-lifting), Coach Rut's, CFFB, etc.

Ryan Secor
12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
1 RM Bench Press - 315#

-then-

"Heavy Helen"
3 rounds:
Run 400 meters
21 KB Swings (2 pood)
12 Pullups

For time - 12:37

My PT wanted me to start trying to incorporate running in workouts again and start focusing on getting my ankle strong enough to work at full capacity. I really sucked at the running on this and my lungs (i.e. metabolic conditioning) are terrible right now.

Ryan Secor
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Row 250m
Foam Roll
1441 Static Mobility Complex (http://www.onefourfourone.com/wp-content/uploads/documents/StaticMobilityComplex.pdf)
Extra ankle/knee mobility work (rehabbing ankle and my knees have always been bad)

-then-

1 RM Back Squat - 385#

-then-

"Power Elizabeth"
21-15-9
Power Clean (135#)
Ring Dips

For time - 11:24

I'm a little embarrassed about my back squat, but I think I'm starting at the perfect point to hit 500# by the end of 2010 assuming I can sustain small gains for this year (shouldn't be an issue hopefully). I've been re-reading Starting Strength and a lot of Rip stuff to help me refine my form. My two biggest problems are changing the angle of my torso in the hole of my squat and jettisoning my knees forward as I'm coming out of the hole (I can pretty well tell when I do that because it kills my knees!). Don't know why I chose Power Elizabeth - I was wanting to do 1.5 mile timed run, but I don't think my ankle can handle all that pounding yet... I just felt like doing something with ring dips and the 135# PC is decently light for me.

Ryan Secor
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Physical Therapy
Ankle Mobility/Stretching, some circuit stuff, and ran/jogged on treadmill (I HATE RUNNING ON A TREADMILL - it's so much harder for me to run on a treadmill vs on the street for some reason!)

Today is pretty much a rest day for me, just went to physical therapy down at CATZ in Pasadena. I'll give them a quick plug - if anyone lives in the area in need of a good PT I suggest checking them out - they have a pretty good track record of professional athletes they rehab (many of the Dodgers, Oscar de le Hoya, Galaxy, etc) plus they serve as the USC PT research center (USC is one of the two best PT schools in the area). I'm not particularly impressed by their conditioning program there, but I'd specifically suggest a PT named Chris (don't know the last name) down there that really knows his stuff and isn't going to have you doing silly crap. He is a Crossfitter and L1 certified... BUT he's really smart and a pretty decent athlete/coach (it's amazing how knowing physiology/biomechanics helps) - I've gotten some great advice and help from him and would highly recommended him to anyone needing a PT.

On another note, I read Lights Out (GREAT BOOK!) and I've been working on waking up at the same time every day. I've also been trying to get more sleep, but I simply can't sleep 9-10 hours a day --- for some reason I'll lay awake for literally 3-4 hours (have done that for several nights now). I'm also working on my eating. Most of my problem is that I simply don't eat frequently enough --- I'm trying to eat something right now every 2-3 hours. I'm trying to stick pretty close to a lower-carb paleo-diet (probably in the neighborhood of 40% Pro, 40% Fat, and 20% CHO), but I will drink a couple cups of milk PWO. Eventually I may start documenting my food, but right now I'm not particularly in taking the time to do that.

Ryan Secor
12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Warm-Up (Rowing, Foam Rolling, Mobility Work, Weight Acclimation)

-then-

"Valeria (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/test_your_metal_introducing_valeria)" (created by T-Nation er T-Muscle)
21 Bench Press (275#)
21 Deadlift (405#)
21 Weighted Pullups (+50# - did 1.5 pood KB)
21 Barbell Curls (135#)

For time - 43:42... YIKES!! (Bench Press took about 30 mins of that)

So the guy that created this workout did it in like 12:00, and I thought I may be able to do it in like 20ish at the Elite Weights (check out the article for the weight breakdown). To be honest my bench just sucked on this workout. My max is right at 315# and I had to break up these reps into few sets of 2 or 3 reps and finally 1 rep at a time for like the last 9. It took me forever to get through that! The watch was literally at like 30:00 when I started my deadlifts. The pullups and deadlifts were decently easy for me - I knocked out my deadlifts in 2 easy sets of 8 (mixed grip) and 1 set of 5 (overhand grip). Pullups were pretty easy for me too. I honestly haven't done barbell curls for 4ish years now (since I started doing CF) and the 135# was surprisingly hard (I guess my functional strength didn't transfer so well) and my curls were more cheat curls than anything. If I had bumped my weights down from the elite level to very good I'd probably have been under 20 on this, but I enjoy lifting heavy and I'm proud I did it at elite as rx'd. Interesting workout though - pretty fun and definitely a pathetic display in performance on my part.

Now off to enjoy New Year Eve!

Ryan Secor
01-01-2010, 06:27 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!! My public training New Years Resolutions are up in my 3rd post - I'll probably be updating them sometime, but this year I just want to keep things real simple.

Row, Foam Rolling, Light Mobility Work
-then-
1 RM Overhead Press - 175# (PR)
-then-
Maximum Strict Chest-to-Bar Pullups (unbroken) - 12 :(
Maximum KB Snatches (53#) in 5:00 - 80 reps

One of my goals this year is to compete in the Tactical Strength Challenge (http://www.tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/index.html). The open class competition consists a 1 RM Deadlift (doing that tomorrow), Strict Pullups (chest or neck to bar), and Max Snatches in 5:00 with 1.5 pood KB. For the Snatches and Pullups I followed the rules found here (http://www.tacticalstrengthchallenge.com/rules.html). My disappointment in my pullups was off-set by my pleasant suprise at how well I did with KB Snatches (especially since I would hardly consider myself proficient with Kettlebells or the snatch movement).

Was really glad to PR in Press. For some reason my press/overhead-lifts (i.e. Bench Press, Strict Press, etc) have always lagged for me - and for some reason since I took the last 4 months off and haven't been hitting a ton of CF Metcons all my overhead stuff has gone up. Not sure if it's linked to easing off the CF-metcon stuff, age, or just combining my workouts a little smarter.

Ryan Secor
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Warm-up, Mobilty Work (played around with stuff Starrett talked about in his new video), Foam Rolling, extra knee/ankle work
-then-
1 RM Deadlift - 530# (PR)
-then-
"Fran"
21-15-9
Thrusters (95#)
Pullups

For time - 8:27

Wow - I've PR'd in ALL my powerlifts (with the exception of Back Squat which I only missed by 10#). To me this is really weird because I haven't worked out AT ALL since the end of July (when I had my surgery). Before that I was Crossfitting pretty regularly with some lifting.... but I didn't do anything until just recently and then just some lifting with light metcons with terrible times.

For all you who want to hate on my Fran time - go ahead. I don't care. Every time I do Fran I go balls to the wall and puke my guts out. If I had done that this time, I'd probably have gotten well under 5:00 even having not worked out at all since late July, but I honestly didn't care to push myself to that level tonight.

So today marks the end of my Benchmark Week. In all I think I'm not looking too shabby for having had 5ish months off and an additional 25 lbs of fat added on. Here's the results from my Benchmark Week:

Results of Benchmark Week
Powerlifting Total - 1230 (need to basically gain 270 to my total over 2010 to get to 1500)
Back Squat - 385# (barely missed PR)
Deadlift -530# (PR)
Bench Press - 315# (PR)

CF Total -1090 (PR)
Strict Press - 175# (PR)

Heavy Helen -12:37
Fran - 8:27
TSC - 530# DL/12 C2B Strict Dead-Hang Pullups/80 KB Snatches @ 230ish# = would've been 38th place at the most recent Tactical Strength Challenge (definitely have a ways to go)

Outlook
Glad to see my strength at the level it is. I hope to add to it. My cardio/metcon needs some work quite obviously (along with at least a 7% drop in BF %). I think my metcon will come back pretty quick and I'd like to drop the fat over the next 3-4 months (would really like to stay close to the bodyweight I'm at now). I'm going to be following 5/3/1 with the Boring but Big assistance work + a very light/quick MetCon. I generally work at least 10 hour days Sun-Wed, so I'm planning to workout Thurs-Sat then do extra short workouts Mon and Tues so I can focus on keeping stress levels down by not worrying about a workout plus get more sleep. I'm really focusing on my sleep habits right now. I've been having issues sleeping because my two dogs (American Bully pitbull and Great Dane) sleep in our room and they both keep climbing up in our bed which makes things pretty crowded. My goal is though to get around 10ish hours of sleep on my days off and at least 6 hours on my work days (preferably more like 9, but I can't control what I do/get in a day so I generally end up with copious amounts of overtime). I really need to start focusing on my eating. I've been doing low-carb/paleo type eating (except for drinking milk PWO), but I've only been eating 2-3 times a day which is no good --- basically I need to eat more and more frequently.

Ryan Secor
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
REST DAY

I'm going to try to start charting my sleep on here as well. Got a broken 10-11ish hours of sleep last night and I'm already really tired (9:00 here). Jemma (our Great Dane) kept waking us up having to go to the bathroom - she must've ate something bad because she was pooping like every hour or 2... which meant I only slept in those increments. At least she won't go in the house and barks/whines when she has to go.

Been eating ok today - I'm going to end up having probably around 4 meals which is definitely doing better. My goal for this next week though is perfection -- i.e. eating more frequently (5-7x daily). I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get my ankle checked out and I'm hoping he lets me start working again. He may put me in a light duty capacity just so I don't re-injure it (plus I still can't run too well), but I'm itching to get back working again so we'll see what happens. Tomorrow also begins my 5/3/1 cycle... definitely looking forward to it! I planned out some metcons to add, but I'm really worried about the volume on my body so we'll see how it goes -- I figure I'll just listen and respond as my body tells me.

Ryan Secor
01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Sleep - 9ish hours (dogs woke me up about 4 times)

Warmup:
12 min AMRAP - Did 4 rounds
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch
Foam Roll
Back Squat - 135#x5; 175#x5, 205#x3

Workout
Back Squat
225# x 5
260# x 5
295# x 5+ - Did 10 reps (hammies and butt were fried!)
140# x 5x10

RDL 3x10 - 135# (good stretch & work in hammies)
Core Work

-then-

AMRAP in 12 min:
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope
20 KB Swings
1 min Mountain Climbers
20 KB Swings
1 min Burpees
20 KB Swings
1 min Rowing

Made it through 1.5 rounds (Mountain Climbers on the 2nd round).

Cool-Down
Pavel's Relax into Stretch Protocol

Most of you probably recognize the stuff I'm following. First is the 5/3/1 protocol - I basically broke everything up into 4 workouts/week. This is the focus of my training - I'm focusing on becoming stronger and a decent powerlifter (maybe eventually I'll do some strongman stuff - that'd be fun). The metcons are based on Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell. One thing I'm focusing on is focusing on only a few movements while being conditioned. I'd rather be really good at a few than mediocre at everything - which is why I'm focusing on my powerlifts (with some light assistance work) and a little bit on KB's. I've only recently been introduced to KB's and I enjoy the workout they provide as well as how healthy they make my joints feel (especially shoulders). I took a look at the Enter the KB program and I don't think it'll provide too much of a load on my CNS BUT will hopefully address my conditioning issues. This KB workout was deceptively hard. When I first looked at it I thought it would be jokingly easy, but it really killed me. The whole workout left me feeling really good... hips and hammies are going to be sore tomorrow I'm sure, but I feel good..

Ryan Secor
01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Sleep - 8 1/2 hours

Warmup
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 90#x3

Workout
Strict Press
100# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 5+ - Did 7 reps
65# x 5x10

Barbell Curls 3x10 - 65# (probably should've gone heavier)
Ring Dips 3x10 (unweighted)

-then-

5 minutes:
Turkish Get-Ups... mostly just practice with 1 and some 1.5 pood. Lost count of reps

Cool-Down
Quick Stretching and Foam Rolling

Ryan Secor
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Sleep - 6 hours (laid in bed again for almost 2 hours before I fell asleep - that's about a week now it's been happening to me - I've been taking my ZMA and relaxing before bed but I can't fall asleep)

REST DAY.

Was thinking about doing some active recovery work - running or rowing or something similar, but I'm really sore (especially hips and hammies) and want to give myself a day to recover a bit more. Been eating well today - just enjoying the day off. Trying to get myself adjusted to a new sleep pattern (going to bed earlier and waking up earlier).. it may be premature - I will find out today or tomorrow what shift I'll be working starting next week. I've been on nights (6 PM - 6 AM) almost my entire career and I'm really hoping I can finally start working a regular day shift because those night hours just kill me physically, mentally, etc, etc.

Ryan Secor
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
So I just realized I've forgotten to title the last two days of workouts and I can't figure out how to edit titles...

Sleep - 11 hours (I was TIRED!)

Warm-Up
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Deadlift 190#x5, 240#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift
310# x 5
360# x 5
405# x 5+ - did 7 reps... utalized double overhand grip so my grip went first
190# x 5x10

Barbell Rows 5x10 - 135# (gotta tweak my assistance work programming - I know)

-then-

5 min of Turkish Getups

Spent a lot of my workout coaching a friend so it was a good time to reinforce my own technique. I'm doing the lighter ETK workouts on my heavier lift days (i.e. deadlift and squat) and then the longer ETK workouts on my lighter days (i.e. press and bench press) since those swings combined with the squat/dl kill my hips. Eating decent too... lots of meat!!!

Ryan Secor
01-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Sleep - 10 hours

Warm-Up
10 min AMRAP - Did 5 rounds
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Bench Press - 115#x5, 140#x5, 170#x3

Workout
Bench Press
185# x 5
215# x 5
240# x 5+ - did 6 reps
115# x 5x10

Strict, Dead Hang, Chest-to-Bar Pullups 5x Max Reps - 7/6/6/5/5

-then-
12 min AMRAP: (ETK Workbook W/O)
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope Skips
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Rowing

Completed 3 rounds (pretty much the same as last time)

Feeling pretty good today. Those pullups were insanely hard. I'm trying to train them for the Tactical Strength Challenge which requires they be dead hang strict pullups and must tap the chest (or neck) on the bar at the top. I honestly thought I'd have an easier time with this - especially since last year I could knock out 40+ Kipping Pullups in a row.

Enjoyed my new-found favorite meal - a In-N-Out Triple Triple Protein Style.... 50g of Protein with only 11g Carbs... and a bit of fat, but whatever. I may start making a better version at home.

Tomorrow is a Rest Day which is probably good because I'm not going to sleep much tonight. I just found out I'm going to be working a 6 AM - 6 PM shift (which is my favorite since I work 3 days a week on that) so I'll be waking up at 4:30 AM and would like to get in the habit of regularly getting up at the same time everyday whether I'm working or not. I'm hoping on work days to never get less than 6 or 7 hours of sleep (meaning making sure I'm asleep by 9:30-10:30 which could vary depending on overtime) and then on my off days probably shoot for around 9.5-10 hours of sleep (bed by 6:30-7:00 PM -- haha - that'll be crazy if I ever can get to bed that early!). I think this sleep cycle will probably be really healthy for me. I've been trying to get better quality and more sleep ever since I read Lights Out (per Robb's recommendation), and I've actually determined that if I can manage to get at least 9.5+ hours of sleep on my days off and vacation days I'll actually spend more than a total of 9 months sleeping a long night.

Ryan Secor
01-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Sleep - 5 hours

REST DAY.

Thank God because I'm exhausted. I'm changing my sleep schedule and will be waking up at 4:30 every morning. This might be the earliest I've ever gone to bed in recent history. Tomorrow I'm planning to hit Week 2 of 5/3/1 and RKC Program Minimum - definitely looking forward to it - especially since it's SQUAT DAY!!!

Ryan Secor
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Sleep - 9 hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP - Did 6 rounds (getting way more conditioned!)
10 Wall Squats
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Back Squat - 140#x5, 175#x5, 210#x3

Workout
Back Squat
245# x 3
275# x 3
315# x 3+ - Did 7 reps
140# x 5x10 (just the FYI - on these 5x10 sets I rest 90 seconds between each set)

RDL 140# x 5x10

5 min Turkish Get-Up Practice - getting the hang of it on my right side, but my left side is much tougher

New favorite meal:
In-N-Out 3x3 Protein Style... 50ish grams of protein, 11g of Carbs, and a lot of fat... w00t!

Ryan Secor
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Sleep - 6 1/2 hours (felt ok when I woke up)

REST DAY.

So today was my first day back at work after I had ankle surgery several months ago. My plan is and has always been to have a wait & see attitude with regards to working out on days I work (I typically only work 3 days a week). Today I worked 3 hours of OT and am exhausted so I'm definitely not working out. I'm off tomorrow so I will then. Enough from me --- I'm tired.

Ryan Secor
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Sleep - 10 hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP - Did 6 or 7 rounds
10 OHS
10 Halos (1 pood)
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Strict Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 95#x3

Workout
Strict Press
110# x 3
125# x 3
140# x 3+ - did 6 reps
65# X 5x10

Strict Chest-to-Bar Dead Hang Pullups - 5xAMAP - 9/7/5/6/5

-then-
12 min AMRAP:
20 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope

Did 7 rounds (new PR for Program Minimum) - I chose jump rope because I feel it strengthens my ankle more (which is what I need right now)

So being back to work I definitely have to practice some good time management (probably a good thing). Felt like I had a good workout. I matched up my days off with my workouts so for the rest of the month I will basically only be working out on my days off (I only work 3 days a week - with this week being the exception) and it happens to match perfectly. If I'm feeling good after a day at work I may do something light, but otherwise I'm just going to focus on taking it easy and not worry about getting a workout in. On to drink my PWO cup (maybe cups) of milk!

Ryan Secor
01-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Sleep - 7 hours each night

REST DAYS

So after being back at work, I think it's going to be near impossible to work out on this schedule on days that I work (which I had anticipated and planned for). I didn't have any overtime, but I still ended up spending 15-16+ hours each day at and driving to/from work. I'm off Sat - Tues, so I'll be doing my workouts those days. My sleep has been ok each night and I've been eating at least 3-4 times a day (fairly low carb). I'm looking forward to getting some rest!

I'm also going to run a little experiment and do a gallon of milk a day every day I workout... just going to see how it goes. I have fat to lose already, so as long as I'm still dropping fat (and adding muscle) I'm happy. We'll see how it goes. I'm out.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ryan Secor
01-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
10 min AMRAP (not for speed though) - 5 or 6 rounds (don't remember)
10 Squats
10 Halos
10 Pump Stretch

Foam Roll
Deadlift - 190#x5, 235#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift (double overhand grip on everything)
335# x 3
380# x 3
430# x 3+ - did 9 reps... strapped up on this set only just so grip didn't limit me (I figure my grip is getting worked with the rest of my deadlift sets and when/if I compete and/or max I usually use a mixed grip so grip isn't an issue)
190# x 5x10 (1 min rest in between)

Ring Dips 5x10 (1 min rest in between)

-then-

800 meter Run (3:27)
5 min Turkish Get-Ups (left side still feels awkward)
800 meter Run (3:15)

Drank a gallon of milk (probably 1/3 of it PWO) today too - not much of a problem downing it and I feel GREAT! I'm throwing a little running in my workouts --- I need to get my running a little better for work. I'd like to see my 800 meter times in the 2:15-2:30 range (assuming no decrease in my lifts). Not much else to say... It's nice to be back in the gym.

Ryan Secor
01-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Sleep - 8ish hours (got to bed real late)

Warmup
Same old Pavel Warmup circuit... 6 or 7 rounds
Foam Roll

Workout
Bench Press
200# x 3
225# x 3
255# x 3+ - did 5 reps
115# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Barbell Rows 155# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

-then-
ETK Program Minimum (continuing)
12 min AMRAP:
30 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
1 min Jump Rope (for conditioning + ankle rehab)

Completed 6 rounds which is pretty impressive since just a week ago I could barely do 6 rounds at 20 KB Swings + 1 min conditioning work.

I didn't start my workout until about 8 tonight which is shame on me - I should be thinking about going to bed at that time so I'm not completely off my sleeping schedule come my work week. Double shame on me because despite downing an entire gallon of milk again today, I definitely did not eat much (mostly due to laziness on my part). I need to make sure and focus on that especially on my days off. Tomorrow my goal is to first eat more frequently (at least every 2-3 hours) getting in at least 4-5 meals plus my gallon of milk and second I need to workout in the morning. Working out at night used to not affect as much, but now I notice issues falling asleep if I workout too late in the evening.

Tomorrow I'm also starting the 5/3/1 set phase of my cycle and I'm already noticing that I'm definitely stronger and others are noticing I'm shedding quite a bit of bodyfat and putting on some muscle (scale fluctuates in the mid-high 220's still --- which is fine by me... I don't really care how much I weigh as long as it's good). I won't be doing body measurements though until the end of the 4 week cycle.

Ryan Secor
01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Sleep - 8 hours

Warmup
The usual

Back Squat - 135#x5, 175#x5, 205#x3

Workout
Back Squat
260# x 5
295# x 3
330# x 1+ - did 3 reps
140# x 5x10

RDL 155# x 5x10

-then-
800m Run (didn't time either run - had the dogs with me)
5 min TGU
800m Run

Couple of notes:
Back Squat seems to be regressing in terms of form. I'm failing to hit depth at the bottom of my squat and I'm rounding my back in the hole of my squat. Unfortunately/fortunately for me the Squat has always been the most work for me to do correctly, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I've been re-reading the squat chapter in Rip's book and suspect a few things: First is that I probably need to do some hamstring stretching pre-workout just so I can get into position. Second is that I need to be more kinisthetically aware of spinal extension --- my wife pointed out that when I was doing back extensions frequently I never had an issue with rounding at the bottom. Unfortunately I don't have anything right now to do back/hip extensions, so I'll probably just add in some Supermans in my warmup. Thirdly I going to bring my stance in a little (I've gradually allowed it to get wider which is causing my hip tightness to limit my depth). Fourth I'm going to bring my grip in just a tad - I think I'm holding a little wide which is affecting my back tightness. If anyone has any further suggestions I'd love to hear them... I don't want to overcomplicate the movement, but I want to be proficient and even perfect (too much to ask?) in this movement.

Another day of GOMAD and feeling good...

Ryan Secor
01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Sleep - 10ish hours

Last night I was feeling really sick and this morning I woke up and just felt like utter crap. Fortunately I didn't have work today (do have to work tomorrow through Friday though), and I've spent most of the day just taking it easy. I took a 2-3 hour nap this afternoon and I'll probably end up getting around 8 hours of sleep before work tomorrow. I've been downing a bunch of tea, oranges, etc. Didn't work out today and I probably won't for the next 3 days (I spend 15-16 hours working on my work days). I'm hoping I get better by the time I wake up... if not I'd call in sick, but there's been a lot of issues of people calling in sick that aren't which results in a sick check (especially when it's after a string of days off) and I'm not particularly interested in letting a superior evaluate my health to determine whether or not I should be calling in sick. If I'm still not well by tomorrow I might just struggle through work then take Thursday and maybe Friday off as sick days.

Ryan Secor
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Sleep - somewhat varied but a lot

REST DAYS.

So I've been really sick the past few days. I still worked Wed and Thurs but banged in sick on Friday then slept the whole day. After that I think I'm getting better, but I'm definitely still sick. No workouts.

Ryan Secor
01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Sleep - 8 hours

Warm-Up
The usual
Overhead Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 90#x3

Workout
Overhead Press
120# x 5
135# x 3
150# x 1+ - did 3 reps

Didn't have time for the rest (which was ok). Going to sleep a lot tonight and get a good workout in tomorrow and Tuesday before I head back to work on Wed. I set up my workouts for these next 4 weeks (hard to believe I'm coming down to the end of my first 5/3/1 cycle) and it managed to come together perfectly so I only have to workout on my days off... so it's looking good.

I know I haven't had a lot of time to post lately --- being back at work doesn't leave much free time for me, but I am still around :)

Ryan Secor
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Sleep - 9ish hours with some snoozing

WarmUp
Same thing
Foam Roll
Deadlift - 190#x5, 235#x5, 285#x3

Workout
Deadlift
360# x 5
405# x 3
455# x 1+ - 7 reps
190# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)
Ring Dips - 5x10 (unbroken)

-then-
12 min AMRAP: - did 4 rounds
40 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
200 meter Run

I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and glad to be back in the gym. I can tell being sick took a bit from my cardio capacity (my metcon workout sucked). I've been working on my squat form too - I think my hammies are just a bit tight, but they're loosening up.

I really need to start paying attention to my nutrition. I was doing ok with it and have lost a bit of fat, but I really need to dial it in especially with eating whole foods. I know $ is no excuse and I'm probably spending more to eat worse than I am to eat better. Ideally I'd like to be eating at least 4-5 paleo meals/day + GOMAD on workout days. It's not hard - I just actually need to cook the meat up.

Ryan Secor
01-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Sleep - 10 hours

Warm-Up
Pavel Warmup

Workout
Bench Press
210# x 5
240# x 3
270# x 1+ - 3 reps
115# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Barbell Rows 155# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

-then-
800m Run - 3:06
5 min of TGU - worked up to 53# --- still feels awkward

I'm back to work for the next two days (so they'll be rest days) and I'll spend Friday and Saturday doing my deloading workouts before jumping into my 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 and moving on from the Program Minimum to the RKC Rite of Passage.

Ryan Secor
01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Sleep - Tues night 4-5 hours; Wed night 8 hours

REST DAYS.

Back at work for 2. Not much to talk about. For some reason I'm having problemsfalling asleep the day before I go back to work --- I usually end up laying in bed for 2-4+ hours before I fall asleep.

Off for 3 now - so I'm deloading and starting 5/3/1 cycle #2.

Ryan Secor
01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Sleep - 10ish hours

Warm-Up
Pavel Warmup
Foam Rolling

Workout (De-load)
Back Squat
140# x 5
175# x 5
210# x 5

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 5

-then-
12 min AMRAP: - 4 rounds
50 KB Swings (1.5 pood)
200m Run

Good workout. Feeling good. Eating ok - could always eat more more frequently. Onto my gallon of milk.

Ryan Secor
01-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Sleep - 9 hours

Warm-Up
None - didn't feel like it

Workout
Deadlift
190# x 5
240# x 5
285# x 5

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 5

Did a several mile hike uphill for cardio.

Ryan Secor
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Sleep - 10ish hours

Warmup
Pavel Warmup (5 rounds)
Foam Rolling
Back Squat – 145#x5, 180#x5, 215#x3

Workout
Back Squat
230# x 5
270# x 5
305# x 5+ - 7 reps
160# x 5x10
RDL 160# x 5x10

Starting RKC Rite of Passage (just finished Program Minimum last month)
3 rounds:
1-2-3
KB C&P (L)
KB C&P (R)
Pullups
1 min rest
2:15/2:00/1:30

5 min AMRAP: (Goal is 60 reps)
KB Snatches
60 reps with 1.5 pood

I'm still having issues with my back squat (depth and severe loss of lumbar curve) and I think I figured it out. Unfortunately I don't have time to explain it, but basically it's an issue with using a low bar position and tight/weak hamstrings. I'll probably go into it more later, but I have to get to my brother's birthday party.

I'll be at work for the next 3 days, so they'll be rest days and I won't be on here.

Ryan Secor
02-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Sleep
Sunday night - 4-5 hours
Monday night - 6ish hours
Tuesday night - 4 hours

REST DAYS

So interesting week at work. As you can tell I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping. Sunday and Monday night it wasn't an issue of getting in bed early enough - I was. For some reason, when I go to bed I simply can't fall asleep and I lay there for sometimes 4 hours. No - there's nothing on my mind and all I'm simply thinking is "it'd be nice to fall asleep right now". I'll get to Tuesday night's events in a second.

In other news my arms (biceps and shoulders especially) are extremely painfully sore. Like almost a rhabdo sore... I don't think it's rhabdo - I think it's my KB cleaning form and I think I messed up my shoulders. I've done a bit of BB cleaning but never KB --- so I think I may need to drop weight in that and focus on the form a bit more.

Tuesday was particularly eventful. I got into a car accident at work --- a couple of good things out of it though: #1 - I wasn't driving and #2 - My partner and I (or the other people) weren't seriously injured (we were only going 25-30ish MPH). When we crashed I put my hand on the dash so as not to get snapped too hard with the seatbelt so my knuckles are a little sore and for some reason my jaw is killing me (maybe from hitting back on the seat). Then on the way home, believe it or not, my brakes completely stopped working on the freeway --- really scary during rush hour in Los Angeles. God must've been really looking out for me again and I managed to slow down enough to pull the emergency brake before I hit any other cars. All that to say after getting towed and everything I only got a little bit of sleep.

All in all pretty crazy week, but I am very happy to be here still intact and alive. Any sleeping advice would be great too... I've pretty much (short of sleeping pills) tried everything. ZMA, hot showers, no exercise within 5-8 hours before bed, keeping a steady waking time, etc, etc and I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to think maybe I just don't need that much sleep to operate (I wasn't particularly tired throughout the day). I don't know though --- Lights Out and Power Sleep has me on this sleeping trip right now, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Ryan Secor
02-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Sleep - 9ish hours (woke up early for court on my day off... ugh!)

Warmup
Same as usual
Overhead Press – 65#x5, 80#x5, 100#x3

Workout
Press
105# x 5
120# x 5
140# x 5+ - barely did 5
75# x 3x10
Strict C2B Pullups 3x10

Skipped all KB work

Alright so there's something pretty wrong with my shoulder. I was able to struggle through this workout, but my middle shoulder and bicep (in both but mainly my left) are absolutely killing me - I suspect a rotator cuff injury. If I don't block the pain and actively ignore I actually have tears welling up in my eyes. I made it as far as I could and figured I didn't want to push it. I think it was probably those KB cleans and just a lack of experience with KBs on my part. I'm hoping if I take it easy it'll feel a lot better by tomorrow, but in the meantime I think that injury explains my piss poor performance.

It's kinda foreign and weird to me to get injured from working out --- that rarely happens to me. But it happens I guess and it's probably due to my improper form (I think). I'm going to let myself heal up for the day, ice massage it, and see how it feels tomorrow.

Ryan Secor
02-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Sleep - 8 hours + 2 hour nap

Warmup
Foam Roll
Shoulder rehab
Deadlift – 195#x5, 245#x5, 295#x3

Workout
Deadlift
315# x 5
365# x 5
415# x 5+ - 12 reps... massive new PR (according to 1 RM calculators my DL should be 600# now... we'll see when I test it again someday)

Tried to go further on the workout (i.e. with assistance work), but my left shoulder is absolutely killing me (see commentary on the last two days). I'm simply not interested in sacrificing a few movements for a prolonged injury. As long as my shoulder is acting this way, my goal is simply to get through my major movement for the day and let my shoulder recover. I'm also wondering if my shoulder injury is more related to my car accident than my workout... but I dunno.

In other injury news... I think I mentioned my jaw was hurting from that accident I was in a couple days ago. Today it's still absolutely killing me and now I'm feeling it in my inner ear and head. I'm going to give it another day or two, but when I go back to work I think I may have to get it checked out (I would find it difficult to believe I'd have any actual injury from hitting somebody at just 30 MPH).

I just want to be well. Is that asking too much? At least my deadlifts made me feel better about myself.

Ryan Secor
02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Sleep - 8 hours

Warmup
Rotator Cuff work
Bench Press – 115#x5, 145#x5, 175#x3

Workout
Bench Press
190# x 5
215# x 5
245# x 5+ - did 5 reps :(

Stopped there. I think my shoulder may be getting better, but it felt VERY weak on my bench press. Decided not to push it any further than my 5 reps (I felt my shoulder starting to hurt on the 1st rep of my 5+). I'm now off to 3 days at work... so those will all be rest days for me. Basically then, at the end of this stretch I'll have taken 9 days off/easy from my rotator cuff/shoulder thing. I'm going to do some icing and electro-stim every night too and I'm hoping that by Wednesday I'll be back up to speed.

See you in a few days!

Ryan Secor
02-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Sleep - 7 hours/8 hours/6 hours

REST DAYS.

Nothing significant to talk about. My shoulder doesn't hurt anymore, but we'll see how it does come workout time.

Ryan Secor
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
Row
Foam Roll
Light Circuit
Back Squat - 145#x5, 180#x5, 215#x3

Workout
Back Squat
250# x 3
285# x 3
320# x 3+ - did 8 reps

165# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

RDL 165# x 5x10 (1 min rest between sets)

Felt pretty good with today's performance. Taking it easy on the KB's (shoulder). I made a slight tweak in bar position on my back squat and it pretty much fixed all the issues I was having. Basically (I low-bar squat by the way), I had the bar too low on my back... as a result I engaged the hamstrings more (which is the goal of a low bar squat) by engaging in excessive forward lean culminating in failure to hit depth on my squats (due to inflexibility/body structure/whatever). I simply moved the bar up just a tad (it's still definitely low bar) to allow me to squat a little more upright and hence hit depth every time. I don't know if that explanation makes sense... but basically my squats are looking better and I'm feeling a lot stronger.

In regards to eating, I'm still doing a gallon of milk daily on workouts days but $ has been tight and I've been having issues keeping my refrigerator stocked with a lot of good whole foods. When I'm at work I generally don't have a problem with eating whole foods since everywhere I eat either gives us food free or heavily discounted. I know $ isn't really an excuse to not eat much, but I definitely need to get on the ball with eating more when I'm at home.

I'm off work for 3 more days so I'll be doing my 3 rep week in 5/3/1... tomorrow is overhead press day so we'll see how my shoulder really is doing.

Ryan Secor
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
Rotator Cuff Stuff
Foam Roll
Overhead Press - 65#x5, 80#x5, 100#x3

Workout
Overhead Press
115# x 3
130# x 3
145# x 3+ - 6 reps
75# x 5x10

Strict Pullups 3x10 (shoulder/bicep aggravated on this movement)

Decent workout. I was glad with my press max effort. My shoulder got a little sore during my pressing, but my bicep and shoulder really started hurting on pullups. I haven't had an injury like this (where it'd hurt to do pullups but not press) before so it's a little weird. Guna ice and maybe do some electrostim on it and see how it's doing tomorrow. Now time for milk and dinner at Chris and Pitt's!

Ryan Secor
02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Sleep - 10ish hours

Warmup
Rowing
Foam Rolling
Rotator Cuff Stuff
Deadlift – 195#x5, 245#x5, 295#x3

Workout
Deadlift
340# x 3
390# x 3
440# x 3+ - did 12 reps (MASSIVE PR) - used straps (due to injury) and belt
225# x 5x10

Wanted to do 5x10 of Ring Dips, but I actually physically couldn't due to my left shoulder. I'm having excruciating sharp, shooting pain starting in the middle of my left shoulder shooting down into my bicep (and now elbow). It hasn't gone away... more ice and electrostim. As I said earlier, I usually don't get hurt while training (at least I haven't for the last 5ish years) so this is really weird for me. If anyone has suggestions fire away... I may have to lay off for a while.

On the bright side, 440# x 12 on deadlift is pretty crazy for me and I'm seriously wondering if I may have a 600#+ deadlift right now. That would be crazy awesome if after 7 months of no Crossfit and 2 months of 5/3/1 I've put over 70# on my deadlift. I'm thinking about maxing out at the end of this cycle, but if this injury hasn't cleared up I definately won't... I may do another 2 for a total of 4 cycles before re-testing my maxes.

As you can tell I've dropped the KB work. Simply put I messed up my shoulder doing it (probably incorrectly) and I'm not particularly interested in aggravating my shoulder at the moment. I definitely am going to have to start needing cardio soon. I've been maintaining my bodyweight at 225-230 and I think a lower BF %, but I'm starting to see a little more of a gut after dropping the KB work. For all you who think I need it for lung capacity -- try doing a set of 12 deadlifts at 440# --- I was probably breathing harder than I ever did doing Fran... not to mention did a crapload more work.

Ryan Secor
02-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Sleep - 10+ hours

Warmup
Extensive Rotator Cuff Work
Foam Rolling
Bench Press – 115#x5, 145#x5, 175#x3

Workout
Bench Press
200# x 3
230# x 3
260# x 3+ - could only do 1 before my shoulders completely gave out

So my shoulders are definitely not right. I feel weak (just like on Pressing movements too) and am in excruciating pain.... pain is in the middle of my shoulder (now both actually) shooting down my bicep into the elbow. I'm really thinking I may have to lay off all pressing movements though. This is probably the last thing I need right now. What I don't get is how literally 18 KB Cleans did this to me --- I know my form wasn't that bad.

Ryan Secor
02-22-2010, 07:48 PM
REST DAYS

Ok - so my shoulder/bicep is still messed up and I'm simply not going to push it aggravating it more. I've been working some of the above listed days and on my off days, I've just been resting, icing, and doing electrostim on my shoulder/arm. I'm giving this until probably the end of the month and then I'm going to try to come back. I'm hoping 2ish weeks of doing nothing fixes the problem -- if not I probably have some sort of bad injury to worry about.

Ryan Secor
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
REST DAYS

I'm still continuing shoulder rehab and starting Tuesday 03.02.10, I'm hoping to resume normal posting/workout activities. We'll see how my shoulder feels tomorrow during activity (no pain during regular activities), but I'm hoping I've taken enough time off to heal whatever issue I was having (whether it was a strained bicep/rotator cuff injury - whatever).

Anyway - I'm exhausted. I worked a total of 17.5 hours of overtime over the last two days (after my regular 12 hour shift)... 13.5 of that coming today (I was awake for almost 30 hours working). It comes with the job, but needless to say I'm pretty tired. I slept most of today (Monday) and I'll probably go to bed early tonight to get my body back on schedule.

I'll be back on tomorrow with my workout.

Ryan Secor
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Sleep - 9-10ish hours... still trying to recover from being awake nearly 30 straight hours

Warmup (Rowing, Foam Rolling, some mobility stuff)

Back Squat
145#x5
180#x5
215#x3
230# x 5
270# x 5
305# x 5+ - 10 reps
160# x 5x10

Pullups 5x10 +10#

Absolutely shot after this workout. I had the shakes for about 2-3 hours and my hamstrings are dead! Glad to be back in the gym.

Ryan Secor
03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
DOUBLE POST... don't know how to delete

Ryan Secor
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
TRIPLE POST... don't know how to delete

Ryan Secor
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Sleep - 10ish hours

Warmup (Rowing, Foam Rolling, Spine/Shoulder Impingement Work, Lots of shoulder re/pre-hab)

Bench Press
115#x5
145#x5
175#x3
190# x 5
215# x 5
245# x 5+ - 5 reps (no pain -- just not strong)
135# x 5x10 (90 sec rest)

Power Snatch 10x3 @ 100# (1 min rest)

A1: Knees-to-Elbows 5x10
A2: Side Bends 5x10 @ 2 pood

Again no pain with the workout (good thing), but my upper body is pretty weak. I think a big part of my joint recovery issues is not regular supplementation of fish oil (been out of it for a few weeks). We'll see how things are next week, but if I'm not able to do extra reps on my + sets then I think I'll have to drop the weight down and go up from there. I've been wanting to add in some running too for my cardio, but I simply couldn't physically handle it today and yesterday when I was done.... so I'll either try to add it later on in this cycle or on my next 4 week cycle.

Ryan Secor
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Sleep - 6 hours/7.5 hours

REST DAYS

Ryan Secor
03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Sleep - 10+ hours (I was tired!)

Warm Up - the usual

Deadlift
195#x5
245#x5
295#x3
315# x 5
365# x 5
415# x 5+ - 15 reps!
225# x 5x10

Ring Dips 5 x 10

Got out quick to get my old training partner's wedding... great to see him getting married. Glad with the 415#x15 --- I'm pretty sure my next max out is going to be in the 600's... we'll see!

Ryan Secor
03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Sleep - 9ish hours

Warmup

Overhead Press
65#x5, 80#x5, 100#x3
105# x 5
120# x 5
140# x 5+ - 6 reps
75# x 5x10

Power Clean 10 x 3 @ 155# w/ 1 min rest btwn sets

A1 Knees to Elbows 3x10
A2 Russian Twists 3x10

Ryan Secor
03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Sleep - 10 hours

Warmup

Back Squat
145#x5, 180#x5, 215#x3
250# x 3
285# x 3
320# x 3+ - 6 reps
160# x 5x10

Weighted Pullups 5 x 10 @ 12.5#

I've come to the conclusion I need to stop wasting so much time and start allotting more time for my workouts. I've been wanting to start doing some sprinting in my workouts as my cardiovascular abilities are currently quite compromised (something I need to perform my job) simply because I've completely neglected any and all cardio work. On top of that I'm getting soft and wimpy. I'm all for recovery... but I think there's a difference between being smart and being soft. I'm getting soft.

So my plan to correct this is to simply wake up, pound a shake, and go straight into my workout. Currently I'll wake up make a big breakfast and I end up lolligagging the entire day away... until I have to go somewhere then I rush my workout in and leave.

I'm off to work for tomorrow then I'll be back on Wednesday --- so I'll make sure to discipline myself to get moving according to plan.

Ryan Secor
03-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Tuesday was a rest day.

Today I did:
Bench Press
200# x 3
230# x 3
260# x 3+ - did 3 reps

My left shoulder/bicep area again started killing me... I took 2 1/2 weeks off already. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to take the next 4-8 weeks off all rotator cuff/bicep activity - which means I'm going to be working on doing stuff that won't aggravate my shoulder/biceps. So far I think the major movements will be squats and probably overhand or strapped deadlifts... then I'll probably just do a lot of sprinting and whatnot. I'm going to probably spend tonight re-programming for myself - I'm thinking some sort of alternating DL/Squat workouts... but stay tuned.

Ryan Secor
03-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Rest Days.

Ryan Secor
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE)
Catalyst Warmup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHc7FbSUiY)

Workout
Back Squat
145#x5
180#x5
215#x3
230# x 5
270# x 5
305# x 5+ - 9 reps

So I started my workout a little late today (11 PM is when I finished)... thanks to TWO broken cars!!! I've been trying to get them up and running all day. At least I got my heavy sets in. I've re-programmed around my biceps/shoulder injury and plan on avoiding any/all activity that aggravates it for the next 5ish weeks so it can be 100% healed. I've also added in some shoulder rehab work from Diesel Crew and am trying out the official Catalyst Warmup (liked it today). There's a bit more to the workouts usually (see future posts) and I'm planning on starting sprinting a bit (kinda important that I be able to sprint well and have a little bit of air). I really missed the gym though the last couple days and I'm really hoping to hit it hard from here on out --- I'm feeling real energized --- summer is here and I'm feeling really good.

Ryan Secor
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
So it's been a bit since I've been on here... for a couple reasons. Life got really hectic all of a sudden - my wife just started the police academy which means I have to balance my own job AND all the house work/etc so she can just focus on what she needs to do. I think I've managed to sort it all out though :)

I've also been doing some rehab for my shoulder/bicep and as you can see from my workout today, they appear to be back to 100%. Should be back regularly - same plan - working out on my days off of work. Doing GOMAD and getting stronger!

Warmup
2 min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 155# <1 min rest between sets

Back Squat
150# x 5
185# x 5
225# x 3
245# x 5
280# x 5
315# x 5+ - 10 reps (PR)

Bench Press
105# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 3
165# x 5
195# x 5
220# x 5+ - 10 reps

Pullups 3 x Max Reps - 9/10/10

Feeling good - I hope I'm back in the game to stay. Hoping to workout for the next three days then I have to go back to work for a few. Feeling good - nutrition is locked on (loose paleo + GOMAD --- basically just trying to get stronger any way) and my injuries are non-existent.

Ryan Secor
04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Warmup
2 min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 - 95# <1 min rest between sets

Deadlift
200# x 5
250# x 5
300# x 3
320# x 5
370# x 5
420# x 5+ - 12 reps

Overhead Press
60# x 5
70# x 5
85# x 3
90# x 5
105# x 5
120# x 5+ - 8 reps

Ryan Secor
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Cleans 5 x 3 @ 155# (1 min rest between sets)

Squat
150# x 5
185# x 5
225# x 3
360# x 3
300# x 3
335# x 3+ - 8 reps

Bench Press
105# x 5
130# x 5
155# x 3
185# x 3
205# x 3
230# x 3+ - 7 reps

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +45#

Ryan Secor
04-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Warmup
2 min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 - 95# <1 min rest between sets

Deadlift
200# x 5
250# x 5
300# x 3
345# x 3
395# x 3
445# x 3+ - 10 reps

Overhead Press
60# x 5
70# x 5
85# x 3
100# x 3
110# x 3
125# x 3+ - 7 reps

Off to work for 2 days.... I really need the rest days!

Ryan Secor
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Cleans 5 x 3 @ 155# (1 min rest between sets)

Back Squat
150# x 5
185# x 5
225# x 3
280# x 5
320# x 3
355# x 1+ - 7 reps

Bench Press
105# x 5
130# x 5
155# x 3
190# x 5
220# x 3
245# x 1+ - 6 reps

Ryan Secor
04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Deadlift
200# x 5
250# x 5
300# x 3
370# x 5
420# x 3
470# x 1+ - 8 reps

Overhead Press
60# x 5
70# x 5
85# x 3
105# x 5
120# x 3
135# x 1+ - 6 reps

Wtd Pullups 3x5 +45

Going to work for one day... then a deload workout... then basically a weird schedule into next week (the person who does our watch's days off isn't very good at making everything workout really well for everyone... it's a rare art I suppose).

Ryan Secor
04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
DELOAD WORKOUT

Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat
155# x 5
185# x 5
225# x 5

Bench Press
115# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 5

Deadlift
225# x 5
275# x 5
315# x 5

Overhead Press
65# x 5
75# x 5
85# x 5

Ryan Secor
04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Cleans 5x3 @ 165#

Back Squat
155# x 5
190# x 5
230# x 3
250# x 5
290# x 5
330# x 5+ - 10 reps

Bench Press
105# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 3
170# x 5
195# x 5
225# x 5+ -11 reps (PR)

Pullups 3 x AMRAP - 13/10/8

Today was a GREAT workout. For the first time in a long time I'm feeling completely pain free during and after my workout. I'm feeling (and getting a ton stronger) - my bench (which historically is one of my worst lifts) is showing this pretty well. I hope I don't jinx it now... I hope I stay pain free now and everything is good to go.

Ryan Secor
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Deadlift
200# x 5
250# x 5
300# x 3
330# x 5
380# x 5
430# x 5+ - 13 reps (PR)

Overhead Press
65# x 5
65# x 5
85# x 3
95# x 5
110# x 5
125# x 5+ - 10 reps

Ryan Secor
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat
155# x 5
190# x 5
230# x 3
270# x 3
310# x 3
340# x 3+ - 9 reps (wife said they looked really good --- nice encouragement)

Bench Press
105# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 3
185# x 3
210# x 3
235# x 3+ - 9 reps

Feeling good and strong right now. Not in as much pain right now (definately a good thing). Going to be working for the next 2 days so I'll be back in the gym on Wednesday.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Strong work!

Are you pretty much ditching the assistance work or just not posting it?

Ryan Secor
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Strong work!

Are you pretty much ditching the assistance work or just not posting it?

Thanks man... trying to get even stronger!

What I post here is what I actually do in my workouts, but in my programming I have planned assistance work (cleans, snatches, pullups, and dips)... however whether I end up doing it depends basically on how I'm feeling and how much time I have. Recently I haven't been doing as much assistance work due to some nagging injuries (don't want them to flare up) and I honestly haven't devoted enough time to be in the gym to get to it. I'm not real worried about it, but it's something I do have planned/intend to do.

Thanks again for stopping by and commenting.

Ryan Secor
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
"Tactical Strength Challenge" hosted by 70's Big
1 RM Deadlift - 605# (HUGE HUGE HUGE PR!!)
Strict Neck-Tapping-Bar Pullups - 15
KB Snatches (24 kg) in 5:00 - 83

Press
100# x 3
115# x 3
130# x 3+ - 7 reps

WOW! I'm stoked about my deadlift. I wanted to go after it today for the TSC and I was happy to hit it huge. It was f-ugly with a Diesel Weasel like hitch at the top... but I got it and that's what I care about (a little lumbar curve loss won't kill me once or twice a year on my max outs). By no means were my numbers good enough to win anything, but I was fairly happy with my performance - I really put out everything I had... I was quite shocked I did semi-ok on my Snatches since I haven't done any real cardio since probably last summer (a few little workouts at the beginning of this year too).

Anyway - it was a lot of fun and real cool of 70's Big to put it on. Now in the spirit of 70's Big I'm going to down my milk and cook up some t-bone steak!

EDIT: 5/3/1 is definitely working for me. 1 RM DL is up from 530# to 605# in about 4 cycles (haven't tested anything else yet). I will probably test my 1 RM Bench Press next month since I think I'm probably going to compete in our Department's Bench Press competition (it's the only thing that slightly resembles what I can do... especially since I'm not interested in running 5-6 miles at Baker to Vegas).

Júlíus G. Magnússon
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Congrats on that deadlift! Breaking 600 is damn impressive.

And thanks for the info. I was thinking I'd extend my deload week due to finals, but since this low assistance approach seems to be working so well for you, I guess I'll just go in and do my work sets and go home.

I have another quick question if you don't mind... Are you pulling your 5/3/1 deadlift reps from a dead stop every rep or "touchandgo"ing? I put your last 5/3/1 deadlift numbers into the estimated max formula and it's actually pretty close to 605 (616). Just wondering, because I'm "touchandgo"ing the 5/3/1 deadlifts myself and I feel like my estimated maxes are way too high.

Ryan Secor
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Congrats on that deadlift! Breaking 600 is damn impressive.
Thanks man... it was nice to finally break that barrier. Now if only I can start pressing/bench pressing a respectable amount haha.

I was thinking I'd extend my deload week due to finals, but since this low assistance approach seems to be working so well for you, I guess I'll just go in and do my work sets and go home.

Cool - do whatever works for you and what's going on in your life. Judging from your log you're a really strong guy so leaving out the assistance work (or taking an extra day off) isn't going to kill you. Jim actually discusses the low assistance approach in his book in the "I'm not doing Jack Shit" option. He doesn't suggest it and neither do I for the long term, but I like it in that you go in - hit your big lift - and you're gone.... and that lift is the important thing especially when you/I have bigger things going on in life.

Good luck with finals... they suck. Not doing them is one of my favorite things about being out of college.

I have another quick question if you don't mind... Are you pulling your 5/3/1 deadlift reps from a dead stop every rep or "touchandgo"ing? I put your last 5/3/1 deadlift numbers into the estimated max formula and it's actually pretty close to 605 (616). Just wondering, because I'm "touchandgo"ing the 5/3/1 deadlifts myself and I feel like my estimated maxes are way too high.

I just touchandgo. I know some will disagree, but I don't think it matters that much whether you touchandgo or pull from a dead stop - especially on the max rep sets since I probably get a few extra reps out of it. I thought my estimated maxes were way too high also, but ended up being pleasantly shocked when I pulled the 605# yesterday (it was pretty ugly though). I think part of the high number of reps though may be a fast/slow-twitch dominance sort of thing... meaning that I think from my genetics and more recent training background (I used to bodybuild/powerlift then did Crossfit and now am back with powerlifting) I'm probably more slow-twitch dominant (may be the case with you) so I can pull a bunch of reps that would give me an inflated one-rep max when I plug it in a calculator. The again - don't cut yourself short. Based on your #'s, you seem like a real strong guy and I'll wager you're capable of far more than you think.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks, man. :)

David Boyle
04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Was looking through you log...very strong lifts Ryan.

I'm trying to get there myself.

I wish I could bench more...but my shoulder is bleeping giving me a hard time...haha

Anyways man awesome stuff and stay safe out there.

Ryan Secor
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Was looking through you log...very strong lifts Ryan.

I'm trying to get there myself.

I wish I could bench more...but my shoulder is bleeping giving me a hard time...haha

Anyways man awesome stuff and stay safe out there.

Hey David thanks for the encouragement and checking out my progress. I'm glad to see your first 5/3/1 cycle is going so good for you. I think I'm finishing my 4th cycle here and have really loved it so far.

For your shoulder I know you're seeing a PT, but it may be worth it to check out Diesel Crew's Rehab Protocol and their 2 Minute Warmup (http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab/). I've been recently having a lot of bicep/shoulder issues and incorporating their stuff in my warmup has helped immensely -- it may do the same for you. Steven Low also mentioned a few things - my favorite of which has been throwing 45# plate on my stomach while rolling my thoracic spine. I can't guarantee you'll bench more --- all my overhead stuff simply sucks so I have no room to talk... but maybe it'll help you feel better. :)

You keep yourself safe out there - I appreciate what you and all your guys have done for our country.

Ryan Secor
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 3 x 3 @ 165# (1 min rest between sets) - felt light

Back Squat
155# x 5
190# x 5
230# x 3
290# x 5
330# x 3
365# x 1+ - 6 reps

Bench Press
105# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 3
195# x 5
220# x 3
250# x 1+ - 7 reps

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +65#

Been off for the last few days from my workouts. Nothing crazy from today's workout - I'm feeling pretty good though (injury-wise). I plugged in my #'s for a 1 RM estimate and feel somewhat satisfied with my progress - it's pretty much in line with what Wendler suggested (+10# on DL/SQ and +5 on BP/PR). Also 70's Big came out with their results and I placed 5th on the TSC tying with Gant of all people... haha. It was my first time competing in the TSC so it was pretty cool taking part in it.

Ryan Secor
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Deadlift
200# x 5
250# x 5
305# x 3
380# x 5
430# x 3
480# x 1+ - 10 reps

Overhead Press
60# x 5
70# x 5
85# x 3
110# x 5
125# x 3
140# x 1+ - 6 reps

Feeling good after this workout - heading back to work for a few days.

David Boyle
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey David thanks for the encouragement and checking out my progress. I'm glad to see your first 5/3/1 cycle is going so good for you. I think I'm finishing my 4th cycle here and have really loved it so far.

For your shoulder I know you're seeing a PT, but it may be worth it to check out Diesel Crew's Rehab Protocol and their 2 Minute Warmup (http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab/). I've been recently having a lot of bicep/shoulder issues and incorporating their stuff in my warmup has helped immensely -- it may do the same for you. Steven Low also mentioned a few things - my favorite of which has been throwing 45# plate on my stomach while rolling my thoracic spine. I can't guarantee you'll bench more --- all my overhead stuff simply sucks so I have no room to talk... but maybe it'll help you feel better. :)

You keep yourself safe out there - I appreciate what you and all your guys have done for our country.

I'll look into that Ryan. I really don't want to give up benching...haha. I'll check out that link and also what Steven has...

Thanks for the support man..and likewise...you all do alot to preserve peace and order at home.

Ryan Secor
05-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Warmup
2 Min Shoulder Warmup
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat
160# x 5
200# x 5
240# x 3
255# x 5
295# x 5
335# x 5+ - 11 reps (PR)

Bench Press
110# x 5
130# x 5
160# x 3
170# x 5
200# x 5
225# x 5+ - 13 reps (PR)

Was going to do my assistance work, but my bicep was getting sore and I didn't want to aggravate it. Pleasantly surprised by my bench press - it's probably my weakest lift, so it's nice to set a PR in it. Off until Thrus... so 3 more workout days to go.

Ryan Secor
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Wow - so last time I posted (and last time I worked out) was the 9th. I don't really have a good reason for not working out over the last two weeks - I've just had a lot of life going on. Not too worried about it though... I'm back though.

Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Diesel Crew 2 min Shoulder Warmup
Diesel Crew Circuit #1
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 - 185#

Back Squat
160# x 5
200# x 5
240# x 3
255# x 5
295# x 5
335# x 5+ - 10 reps

Weighted Pullups 5 x 5 - +45#
Glute Ham Raises 3 x 5 (first time doing this!)

A1: GHD Situps 3 x 10
A2: Hip Extensions 3 x 10

I just recently picked up a GHD so now I can do GHR and a bunch of other fun stuff. Those GHR are killer -- it's definitely an acquired skill/strength. I might've lost a bit of strength over the last two weeks, but IF I have I don't think it's much (just 1 rep less on back squat). I'm going to be at work for the next 3 days so my next workout should be on Friday (and not 2 weeks from now).

Ryan Secor
05-30-2010, 10:14 AM
You'll see that I tweaked my scheduling a bit --- instead of running 5/3/1 cycles faster (i.e. doing 2 movements a workout), I'm just doing a cycle month and doing some assistance work. I've also decided on Press/Bench Press days to do something I haven't done since high school.... 20 rep squat days. Apparently Dan John's folks and Wendler have been seeing pretty good results with it and I could use the squat work.

Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Diesel Crew Shoulder Pre/Rehab Circuit #2
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat - 1 x 20 @ 225# - KILLER!
Pullovers - 1 x 20 @ 40# (need to get more DB's one of these days)

Bench Press
110# x 5
130# x 5
160# x 3
170# x 5
200# x 5
225# x 5+ - 10 reps (a little less strong methinks due to laziness over the past couple weeks)

Barbell Rows 5 x 5 @ 185#
Glute Ham Raises 3 x 6 (still new at this!)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs521.snc3/29660_396181490823_532235823_4761662_5611338_n.jpg
On an unrelated note... here's what one of my friends did this last week (nobody was hurt - but it was one of the funniest things I've seen).

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-30-2010, 05:38 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs521.snc3/29660_396181490823_532235823_4761662_5611338_n.jpg
On an unrelated note... here's what one of my friends did this last week (nobody was hurt - but it was one of the funniest things I've seen).
Wow. What the hell happened over there? Is that a police car on top of those other cars?

Ryan Secor
05-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyway -- here's my workout for today. Something wasn't right on my deadlift --- I have to think about it, but I think it was a combination of my setup and my hamstrings are completely dead from the squats and GHR's I've been doing.

Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 110#

Deadlift
205# x 5
255# x 5
305# x 3
330# x 5
380# x 5
445# x 5+ - 5

Weighted Dips 5 x 5 - +20
Glute Ham Raises 3 x AMRAP (managed 5 on each set)
A1: GHD Situps 3 x 11
A2: Hip Extensions 3 x 11

Despite the poor deadlift day, I was completely stoked to hit weighted dips again. This is the first time I've actually physically been able to do them since probably Feb when I messed up my shoulder/bicep. Everything feels good. Now onto the rest of the day and it's festivities --- thanks to all you soldiers out there who put your lives on the line every day and an even bigger thanks to those families and friends of those that have sacrificed their lives for our country.

Ryan Secor
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 230#
Pullovers 1 x 20 @ 40# (heaviest DB I have)

Overhead Press
60# x 5
75# x 5
90# x 3
100# x 5
110# x 5
125# x 5+ - 8

Barbell Curls 5 x 5 @ 105#

A1: GHD Rsn Twists 3 x 11
A2: Reverse Hypers 3 x 11

Yes - I did curls today. I actually need to start doing them. I haven't done them regularly since probably 2005 or 2006 and despite pullups and everything else, my nagging injuries have made it fairly clear I actually need to do some direct biceps work... plus despite what many say the biceps are actually more useful than just looks... hence they're going to appear in my programming as occasional assistance work.

Ryan Secor
06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 190#

Back Squat
160# x 5
200# x 5
240# x 3
275# x 3
315# x 3
355# x 3+ - 8

Weighted Pullups 5 x 5 @ 50#
Glute Ham Raises 3 x AMRAP 7/7/7
A1: GHD Situps 3 x 12
A2: Hip Extensions 3 x 12

Ryan Secor
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 235#
Pullovers 1 x 20 @ 40#

Bench Press
110# x 5
130# x 5
160# x 3
185# x 3
210# x 3
240# x 3+ - 7

If any of you have ideas/suggestions feel free to throw them my way... I may have to go back to my regular squat schedule versus squatting almost every workout day (doing the 20 rep squats). The squatting does help me a lot overall, but from what I've read so far apparently the low bar squat can cause this sort of pain hence why most low-bar squatters keep the reps down... and this is some of the worst pain I've ever had.

Ryan Secor
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 110#

Obviously not my entire planned workout. I've been overwhelmingly unmotivated lately - especially after the last workout tweaked my shoulder.

Ryan Secor
06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Feeling a lot better than I did yesterday. Focused on getting my big lifts in... and did so. I think a big difference was my eating today - I simply haven't been eating particularly clean lately and I feel like horrible when I don't eat well.

Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Deadlift
205# x 5
255# x 5
305# x 3
360# x 3
410# x 3
460# x 3+ - 9

Overhead Press
60# x 5
75# x 5
90# x 3
105# x 3
120# x 3
135# x 3+ - 7

Tomorrow is 5/3/1 Squat day then I'm at work for the next 3 days... Just getting through it and doing my best.

Ryan Secor
06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 - 195#

Back Squat
160# x 5
200# x 5
240# x 3
295# x 5
335# x 3
375# x 1+ - 7 reps (PR)

Weighted Pullups 5 x 5 --- only managed 1 set @ 55# (shoulder hurting)

Ryan Secor
06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Ran about 1.5 miles. Not much else.

David Boyle
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 - 195#

Back Squat
160# x 5
200# x 5
240# x 3
295# x 5
335# x 3
375# x 1+ - 7 reps (PR)

Weighted Pullups 5 x 5 --- only managed 1 set @ 55# (shoulder hurting)

Medium-pace relaxing run with the wife

My wife worked with me a bit on fixing my Back Squat grip issue (leading to massive pain in the shoulder/bicep/elbow area). My shoulder still ended a bit sore (though thankfully not nearly in as much pain as I was a couple days ago). Basically I was setting up with the bar off-set, then adjusting to an off-set grip, and throwing my elbows back (to push into my back with the bar) at unequal angles... which was resulting in some sort of crazy kimora-like torque on my arm... hence the insane pain. I definately am going to need more help in keeping my adjustments and I think my wife is probably going to have to watch me until I can finally get the physiological awareness/feel for the correct setup. Due to the ongoing form issues I think it's best to keep my reps down to minimize any pain so I'm probably going to end up cutting out the 20 rep heavy squat days (even though I love those and they help me a ton) until I can square things away with the grip on my squat.

I'm off to work for the next three days... look for me on TV... if the Lakers win the NBA Championship at home on Tuesday I'm assigned to one of the mobile teams to confront the rioters. Could be fun.

Were there any rioters? I bet LA was a mad town that week.

Ryan Secor
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Were there any rioters? I bet LA was a mad town that week.

Haha... there were. Unfortunately due to overtime issues (they can't afford to compensate us with money so they're giving us mandatory time off in lieu of) I'm rarely at work these days... and watched the Game 7 rioting on TV instead of being there. If they'd won it in 6 games I'd probably have been there... but whatever.
Warmup[/U][/B]
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Diesel Crew Shoulder Pre-hab Circuit #1
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Back Squat
165# x 5
200# x 5
245# x 3
265# x 5
305# x 5
345# x 5+ - 12 reps (PR - theoretically that gives me a 495# BS)

Barbell Rows 3 x 5 - 205#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 - +25#

Glute Ham Raises 2 x AMRAP
Russian Twists 2 x 10

Still have been slacking off a bit as you can tell. I guess it didn't hurt much seeing how good my squat was.

I think I might've figured out my shoulder issue for real now. Since the beginning of the year I've been using a false grip on my back squat and quickly developed these shoulder issues. I've been having issues with the bar sliding down my back, shoulder angles being uneven, etc. Today I wrapped my thumbs around the bar today and my grip/form issues have seemed to corrected themselves. My wife watched again today and said I looked more solid, wasn't having the shoulder/bar slipping issues, and was just overall better. I don't have pain right now (I'm hoping I won't feel it tomorrow) and threw up a PR for reps/weight. The bar is still low though perhaps a bit higher then usual... but it feels immensely better. I'll see if it pays off in the long run.

Ryan Secor
06-25-2010, 09:05 PM
HOME WORKOUT
Bench Press
110# x 5
140# x 5
165# x 3
185# x 5
205# x 5
235# x 5+ - 8

Left my house (gym) and went over to a friend's where we did some goofing off/working out with New Zealand Strongman Jono MacFarlane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxynEmnJPg). He's a super great guy and one of the strongest people I've ever met. He gave some great feedback on squat and deadlift (I did them fairly light)... then we started power cleaning. I PR'd on power clean with a FUGLY 245#... then he promptly clean and jerked an EASY 350# (with a torn rotator cuff).

FORM/FUN WORKOUT
Light Back Squats 3-4 sets... need to stay tight all the way through - not just at the top and hole of the squat.

Light Deadlift - tried Sumo for the first time... Jono said I had hardly any range of motion thanks to my freakishly long arms (I have around a 7' wingspan) so it'd be great if I could compete with that form since I need to only pull the bar up a few inches.

Power Cleans - Surprisingly I received the most positive comments on this lift and I thought it was my worst since I never work on it. Jono noticed I can pull the bar up really high (he said everytime I'd do it even with fairly heavy weights for me I'd almost smack myself in the face) and it's just an issue of racking/catching/pulling it into the groove. I PR'd at 245#... barely... almost took off my head on the pull but had trouble racking/catching it.

Overall it was a great time. I was happy to meet Jono - he's a really awesome guy and it was great to spend the night with him and a few of my other friends.... and a PR on Clean isn't too bad especially since I never do it.

Biceps are hurting a bit... :(

Ryan Secor
06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Hamstrings are really sore... almost did something different today, but decided to go for it.

Warmup
Row 500 meters
Foam Roll
Catalyst Warmup

Workout
Deadlift
210# x 5
260# x 5
315# x 3
340# x 5
390# x 5
445# x 5+ - 11

Push Press 3 x 3 @ 155#

By the end of deadlifts my biceps/elbows were hurting so bad I didn't want to do anything else. I pushed through one assistance exercise and literally couldn't do any more (I did have more planned). I felt/feel like curling up in a ball and crying they hurt so much. Jono suggested elbow wraps and indicated a few powerlifters/strongmen have the same issue and hopefully the wraps along with some form work will help.

Just a note - my 445# set was with straps --- my biceps already hurt enough and would hurt more without the straps. I'd rather get the CNS/overall workout on the set then have my grip give out and my biceps hurt even worse.

Ryan Secor
06-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Quick Warmup

Workout
Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
100# x 5
115# x 5
130# x 5+ - 9

Barbell Shrugs 3 x 5 @ 315#

A1: GHD Situps 3 x 20
A2: Hip Extensions 3 x 20

David Boyle
06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Haha... there were. Unfortunately due to overtime issues (they can't afford to compensate us with money so they're giving us mandatory time off in lieu of) I'm rarely at work these days... and watched the Game 7 rioting on TV instead of being there. If they'd won it in 6 games I'd probably have been there... but whatever. An officer got his face smashed with some thrown object and broke his nose, another officer ended up firing a warning shot... and thanks to the pogues that run our department there was not nearly enough @$$ kickings handed out courtesy of the police so a lot of property was destroyed and a good number of innocent bystanders/drivers were injured. But I digress...

haha...good stuff man.

I'm all for the butt-kicking of knuckle-headed people.

Not enough of it...but I digress as well.:)

Ryan Secor
07-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Warmup
The Usual

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 120#

Back Squat
165# x 5
200# x 5
245# x 3
265# x 5
305# x 5
345# x 5+ - 7 :( (probably from playing around with my grip/bar position)

Weighted Chinups 5 x 5 @ +45

A1: GHR 3 x AMRAP (5/5/5)
A2: GHD Situps 3 x 20

The focus of this workout was to prevent/fix my grip to alleviate the excrutiating pain I've been putting up with in my biceps. I basically moved the bar up a bit... maybe too high... I have no pain right now, but my squat feels MUCH weaker (see my 5+ set). I have my work cut out for me I guess... either that or maybe my strongest position simply will cause pain so only use that position for my "+" sets or when it really matters. Anybody with experience/suggestions feel free to weigh in.

Ryan Secor
07-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Been off for a bit for due to injuries. I've updated my programming to allow me to get a little more back into it (lost quite a bit of strength) and manage my injury issues. I just need some consistency now.

Warmup
The Usual

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 155#

Front Squat
80# x 5
100# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 5
155# x 5
175# x 5+ - 10 total

Bench Press
110# x 5
140# x 5
165# x 5
185# x 5
205# x 5
235# x 5+ - 6 total

Barbell Rows 3 x 5 @ 185#
Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 155# (high bar for now - bicep issues)

Ryan Secor
08-16-2010, 10:31 PM
So I haven't been on the internet lately... been training though. Basically have done (1) cycle of 5/3/1 since I last posted. You'll notice that the changes I made just recently are still in effect (i.e. more front squatting in lieu of low-bar squat) and I haven't had any injury/lingering pain issues. You may notice I'm going to be cycling through the 5/3/1 cycles a little quicker then I typically do. In about 2 weeks I'll be on about a 6-8 week vacation from work, which affords me more time to train as well as the ability to recover harder. Due to time and our $ situation (the economy stuff is hitting our income pretty hard), I'm not going to be able to travel much so I'm just going to focus on training hard and recovering even harder... which means I'll be probably be eating quality stuff more frequently (more calories), a lot more sleep, and just overall better recovery. If I notice any issues I'll adjust accordingly. My goals right now are focus on getting stronger. I'm still pushing for that 1500 Total by New Years and I think it's still pretty attainable - especially if I can figure out my squat issues (grip stuff affecting my elbows/biceps). I'm also hoping to push my deadlift over the 700# mark and actually add a few lbs to my bench (which has been fairly stagnant due to several issues that are directly tied to my squatting stuff). Anyway - enough talk.... here's today's stuff:

Warmup - Stretching, Foam Rolling, Mobility, Complexes

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 125# (wife says I'm Muscle Snatching it - dropped weight and practiced light for a bit)
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 185#

Front Squat
85# x 5
110# x 5
130# x 3
140# x 5
160# x 5
185# x 5+ - 10

Bench Press
110# x 5
135# x 5
165# x 3
185# x 5
205# x 5
235# x 5+ - 7

Weighted Chinups 5 x 3 @ +25
Push Press 3 x 3 @ 155#
Barbell Rows 3 x 5 @ 240#

Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 195#

A1: GHD Situps 3 x 15
A2: Back Extensions 3 x 15

Would like to start getting my workouts done early in the morning... we'll see what kind of luck I have tomorrow.

Ryan Secor
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Warmup - Stretch/Foam Roll/Complexes/Mobility Work

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 170# (pretty easy - technique getting better)
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 135#

Deadlift
205# x 5
255# x 5
315# x 3
335# x 5
385# x 5
435# x 5+ - 11 reps

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
100# x 5
115# x 5
130# x 5+ - 7

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +45#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 @ +25#
Barbell Curls 3 x 5 @ 95#
Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 200#

Plenty sore and hamstrings are exhausted. Back to work for a few days then back in the gym on Saturday ready to go again. Once I hit my vacation I'm going to be doing more of a 2-on-1-off type setup --- but that's still not for another week or so.

Ryan Secor
08-21-2010, 04:33 PM
This was my motivation for today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRN9bAosGE)... Misha is awesome! haha

Warmup - Mobility, Foam Roll, Shoulder stuff, Complexes

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 130#
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 190#

Front Squat
85# x 5
110# x 5
130# x 3
150# x 3
170# x 3
190# x 3+ - 8

Bench Press
110# x 5
135# x 5
165# x 3
190# x 3
220# x 3
250# x 3+ - 4

Weighted Chinups 3 x 5 @ +30#
Push Press 3 x 3 @ 160#
Barbell Rows 3 x 5 @ 240#
Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 240#

A1: GHD Situps 3 x 16
A2: Back Extensions 3 x 16

Ryan Secor
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Warmup
Mobility, Foam Roll, Complexes, etc

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 175#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 140#

Deadlift
205# x 5
255# x 5
315# x 3
360# x 3
415# x 3
465# x 3+ - 8

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
110# x 3
125# x 3
140# x 3+ - 6

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +50#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 @ +30#
Barbell Curls 3 x 5 @ 100#

Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 210#

GHR 3 x AMRAP (6/5/5)

On a couple (much needed) rest days thanks to work and back later this week. Feeling good - no injury issues and I think a 2-on with at least 1 day off is going to be as much as I can physically handle. I leave the weekend on this note... another Misha Koklyaev video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q67ia6TzwWA&feature=related) haha.

Ryan Secor
08-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Warmup

Workout
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 135#
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 195#

Front Squat
85# x 5
110# x 5
130# x 3
160# x 5
185# x 3
205# x 1+ - 5

Bench Press
110# x 5
135# x 5
165# x 3
205# x 5
235# x 3
260# x 1+ - 3

Ryan Secor
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 175#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 145#

Deadlift
205# x 5
255# x 5
315# x 3
385# x 5
440# x 3
495# x 1+ - 5

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
115# x 5
130# x 3
155# x 1+ - 3

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 - +55#
Push Pess 3 x 3 - 165#
Barbell Curls 3 x 5 - 105#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 - +35#

Back Squat 1 x 20 @ 225#

Dead tired... relaxing for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

Ryan Secor
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks to court in San Diego, I ended up working about 14 hours of OT today... and had about 5 hours of sleep last night. I was exhausted when I got home and simply wasn't feeling it today. It was really late before I got home and got started working out so I figured hitting my big lifts was better than nothing...

Warmup

Workout
Front Squat
95# x 5
115# x 5
140# x 3
150# x 5
170# x 5
195# x 5+ - 7 (knees were loud and hurting...)

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 3
180# x 5
210# x 5
245# x 5+ - 6

Definitely more of a workout where nothing is really clicking or going right. One of my big lessons though this year has been to stop pursuing the perfect workout every workout... those "perfect" workouts (where you're on fire) aren't necessarily an everyday occurrence and it's the consistency that really matters.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
08-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Very true. Consistency is where it's at.

Ryan Secor
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Warmup

Workout
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 180#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 150#

Deadlift
215# x 5
265# x 5
320# x 3
345# x 5
400# x 5
450# x 5+ - 10

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
105# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 5+ - 7

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +60#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 @ 40#
Barbell Curls 3 x 5 @ 110#

The next couple days at work are the last then I'm off on vacation!!!

Ryan Secor
09-16-2010, 06:06 PM
So now my training is coming in a chunk... I just haven't been online enough to log everyday on here (probably a good thing in certain aspects).

Current BWT: 240 +/-

Finished another great cycle of 5/3/1 - nearly the strongest I've ever been:

Workout #1
Front Squat
95# x 5
115# x 5
140# x 3
150# x 5
170# x 5
195# x 5+ - 7

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 3
180# x 5
210# x 5
240# x 5+ - 6

Workout #2
Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 185#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 150#

Deadlift
215# x 5
265# x 5
320# x 3
345# x 5
400# x 5
450# x 5+ - 10

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
105# x 5
120# x 5
135# x 5+ - 7

Weighted Pullups 3 x 5 @ +60#
Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 5 @ +40#
Barbell Curls 3 x 5 @ 110#

Workout #3
Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 140#
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 200#

Front Squat
95# x 5
115# x 5
140# x 3
160# x 3
185# x 3
205# x 3+ - 5
1 x 250/275/315# (PR)

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 3
195# x 3
225# x 3
250# x 3+ - 7

Push Press 3 x 3 @ 170#
Weighted Pullups 3 x 10 @ +15#

Workout #4

Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 185#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 155#

Deadlift
215# x 5
265# x 5
320# x 3
370# x 3
425# x 3
475# x 3+ - 9

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
115# x 3
130# x 3
145# x 3+ - 8

Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 10 +15#

Workout #5

Power Snatch 5 x 3 @ 145#
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 205#

Front Squat
95# x 5
115# x 5
140# x 3
170# x 5
195# x 3
225# x 1+ - 6

Bench Press
115# x 5
140# x 5
170# x 3
210# x 5
240# x 3
265# x 1+ - 5

Barbell Rows 3 x 5 @ 225#
Push Press 3 x 3 @ 175#
Weighted Pullups 3 x 10 @ +20

A1: GHD Situps 3 x 16
A2: Back Extensions 3 x 16

Workout #6

Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 190#
Snatch Pull 3 x 3 @ 160#

Deadlift
215# x 5
265# x 5
320# x 3
400# x 5
450# x 3
505# x 1+ - 8 (PR)

Overhead Press
65# x 5
80# x 5
95# x 3
120# x 5
135# x 3
155# x 1+ - 6 (PR)

Weighted Ring Dips 3 x 10 @ +20#
Barbell Curls 3 x 10 @ 95#

Ryan Secor
09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
WARMUP
The usual - mobility work, foam roll, etc

WORKOUT
Power Snatch 3 x 3 @ 150#
Clean Pull 3 x 3 @ 210#

Front Squat
115# x 5
145# x 5
170# x 3
185# x 5
215# x 5
240# x 5+ - 7

Bench Press
115# x 5
145# x 5
170# x 3
185# x 5
215# x 5
240# x 5+ - 8

Barbell Rows 3 x 5 @ 230#

Ryan Secor
09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Wanted to do some Power Cleans and Push Presses today, but instead decided to have some fun and try clean and jerk. I'm not much of a Oly Lifter, so most of my stuff is a muscled power clean and push press haha.

WARMUP
The usual - mobility work, foam roll, etc

WORKOUT
Clean and Jerk
2 x 1 @ 135#
2 x 1 @ 155#
1 x 1 @ 175#
2 x 1 @ 185#
1 x 1 @ 205#
2 x 1 @ 225# (PR)
2 x 1 @ 245# - FAILED ON BOTH (got the clean up high enough every time but just didnt catch it)

Pullups 3 x 10 @ +25#

Fun workout - it's nice to know I can muscle at least 100kg up haha. Deadlifts and Press tomorrow.