PDA

View Full Version : USATF Developmental Course

Jay Ashman
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I am going to add to my "resume" by taking the USATF Developmental Coaching Course in March in NYC. How many of you have experience with this and opinions on it?

I would like to be involved in High School Sports when I am finished with my degree and to be able to use my collective knowledge to improve my training business to give people the best possible knowledge base.

I think its a good program from what I hear, just curious to read your take on it.

Scott Kustes
12-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I did the Level 1 last June. Great course with REAL coaches and a REAL exam. Not sure about the Developmental.

Jay Ashman
12-29-2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks, Scott, I was hoping you would shed some light on this. :)

the developmental is preparation for the Level 1 course, I am sure if you have some background in T&F coaching you can go right to the Level 1, but I don't have much coaching experience at all in track, I just participated when I was in high school.

http://www.usatf.org/groups/Coaches/education/developmental.asp

Scott Kustes
12-29-2009, 08:50 AM
No experience here. Just went straight to the L1. It's a pretty fundamental look at all of the events.

Jay Ashman
12-29-2009, 09:09 AM
nice... well the closest date to me is in March for the developmental and its only 15 bucks for a 4 hour seminar which gives you basic knowledge of track and field coaching, once I get that done I will take the Level 1 for sure.

Garrett Smith
12-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I think I'm going to go to the Level 1 in Phoenix, get an early start on my CEUs this year.

Rafe Kelley
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Scott would you recomend the level 1 for someone with no track and field background. I feel like people in parkour could learn allot about jumping, hurdling and running technique from T&F that would transfer over nicely for us.

Jay Ashman
12-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I think I'm going to go to the Level 1 in Phoenix, get an early start on my CEUs this year.

nice, it definitely can't hurt, I'd rather do the L1 but I have to wait to see how my class schedule ends up, its a 2 1/2 day session and I don't want to commit to that if I can't

Blair Lowe
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Interesting, hmm; one day on the list.

Scott Kustes
12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
It's really intended as a vehicle for coaches. I went to a) gain some ideas for my own training (since I am essentially my own coach) and b) because I have an inclination to get into coaching. I was the only non-coach in the class, but had a chance to talk some theory with real coaches for long jump and such.

Would it help? Sure. It's pretty basic stuff. You could teach high school athletes most of the events with what you learn (other than pole vault....and hammer throw, but that's only done in one state at the HS level anyway). It's just a general overview.

Jay Ashman
12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
It's really intended as a vehicle for coaches. I went to a) gain some ideas for my own training (since I am essentially my own coach) and b) because I have an inclination to get into coaching. I was the only non-coach in the class, but had a chance to talk some theory with real coaches for long jump and such.

Would it help? Sure. It's pretty basic stuff. You could teach high school athletes most of the events with what you learn (other than pole vault....and hammer throw, but that's only done in one state at the HS level anyway). It's just a general overview.

That is true.

I am finishing up my degree in Phys Ed and Exercise Science (dual major) starting at the end of January and I want to get involved in HS sports coaching when I get a job after graduation. I figure all the education will help me a lot with that and with my clients.

I still plan on running the training business but by then I will hopefully be able to streamline it to athletes (mainly HS and college) so I can work with them at nights and during breaks.

I ran track when I was younger, mainly sprints and shotput, so I have a basic idea of how to train for it, but I want more knowledge and you can't get that from just reading a book.

Todd Rehm
01-17-2011, 08:42 AM
I went straight into the Level one, and it's one of the top educational courses I've ever taken. One of the coaches who did several hours of the course is a world-class coach of Olympic-caliber athletes. Awesome stuff.