PDA

View Full Version : Hey Robb, you notice something?

Jonathan Yoon
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=54393

No nutrition certs.

Garrett Smith
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
The legions of MDs and PhDs that all have the "clinical experience" that Robb lacks who are taking over the "certs" must...um...well...not exist?

I bet Sears had no idea of the sh*t-storm he was walking into and got spooked.

Clay Jones
01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I bet that thread will be locked up pretty quick, just like all the others.

Robb Wolf
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Yea, I've heard it's been through a few iterations and then poof! Apparently the Nutrition topic will be "discussed" at the affiliate gathering in some kind of round-table format and then the new Ubber-CERT will be unveiled. I hope to hell they run with the format GG described. 2 days of body-fat calipers and cooking demos will be...interesting. Calipers require a ton of practice to get right, and I guess the Food Network has been falling down on the cooking shows lately. We ran with a cooking demo for the first 5 gigs I did and I asked folks if they thought it was valuable. They did not. Apparently GG's understanding of the market goes far beyond mine.

If they have no science based nutrition (paleo) and if they cannot modify the Zone to work (modifications along the lines of 42 ways to skin the Zone) the offerings are a bit skinny. Calipers and cooking demos it is!

Steve Romer
01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
The thread is closed. How surprising;)

Jay Ashman
01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
If a cooking demo and bodyfat analysis stuff is done, that will be a colossal waste of money to attend.

Bodyfat testing is so overused... go by feel, look and appearance if you must, but those damn things are so hard to use. I used them a lot before, and getting the same % twice is a miracle. Once you get used to them they work well, but if a person is fat... fuck bodyfat analysis, lose some goddamn weight... and if a person is looking lean, what good are they ultimately other than they can brag to their friends that they are 8% BF.

Cooking demos??? Sorry, that isn't worth it either. If I am paying for a Nutrition Cert I want science, I want facts, I want some intelligent discussion and presentation, I don't need to be shown how to cook.

I hope they don't go that route at all...

Wayne Riddle
01-09-2010, 04:35 AM
If they have no science based nutrition (paleo) and if they cannot modify the Zone to work (modifications along the lines of 42 ways to skin the Zone) the offerings are a bit skinny. Calipers and cooking demos it is!

Listening to Crossfit Radio 100 podcast, an interview with Tony Budding, he talked adjusting the Zone to each individual. The important thing is you WAM dammit! :p

Darryl Shaw
01-09-2010, 05:34 AM
The legions of MDs and PhDs that all have the "clinical experience" that Robb lacks who are taking over the "certs" must...um...well...not exist?

I bet Sears had no idea of the sh*t-storm he was walking into and got spooked.

I suspect CFHQ just aren't willing to pay enough for it to be worth an RD or MD sacrificing their professional reputation by endorsing The Zone Diet.

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2010, 07:38 AM
bodyfat analysis stuff is done

Wouldn't it be nice if they could just start with the people giving the talk first?

Jay Ashman
01-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if they could just start with the people giving the talk first?
yes and then leave for some coffee and doughnuts when the bodyfat section pops up. :)

Wayne Riddle
01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Is it just me or do many of the recent Crossfit Journal articles and Crossfit radio shows seem to have pushes for the Zone on them?

Jay Ashman
01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Is it just me or do many of the recent Crossfit Journal articles and Crossfit radio shows seem to have pushes for the Zone on them?

You just noticing this now?

Mike ODonnell
01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Funny.....Tony Budding seems to be OK pushing Paleo now to get Crossfit's main website in this NYT article on Paleo eating....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashion/10caveman.html?src=tptw

Another source of paleo converts is CrossFit, a fitness program known for grueling workouts combining weightlifting and gymnastics. CrossFit trainers, who teach at more than 1,200 gyms and other affiliates across the country, generally encourage clients to follow either a caveman diet or the Zone diet, which requires tracking calories. “Some of the gyms have hardcore paleo folks, and if you’re a member of that gym then you’re paleo, while other gyms are hardcore Zone,” said Anthony Budding, who manages the content on CrossFit.com.

Wayne Riddle
01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
You just noticing this now?

Well I noticed they always pushed the Zone, but it seems since Robb Wolf was kicked out the door they have kicked it up a notch.

Wayne Riddle
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Funny.....Tony Budding seems to be OK pushing Paleo now to get Crossfit's main website in this NYT article on Paleo eating....

Funny, in CF Radio show 100 he said you have to WAM, he left no doubt about that. Tony was pretty much saying if you CF you better be Zoning.

Robb Wolf
01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
What does and does not work is pretty obvious, regardless of hyperbole. You will slowly see the HQ line come around to something that looks like 42 Ways to Skin The Zone and more or less paleo foods. This will happen in a way that is natural and unobtrusive, commentary on pseudo-science will be sadly lacking.

Jay Ashman
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
What does and does not work is pretty obvious, regardless of hyperbole. You will slowly see the HQ line come around to something that looks like 42 Ways to Skin The Zone and more or less paleo foods. This will happen in a way that is natural and unobtrusive, commentary on pseudo-science will be sadly lacking.

I can honestly say that the only time I tried the Zone was when I used Robb's 42 ways article and upped the fat to almost 80 blocks... then again I am 245-250# and I need the calories.