PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Insanity on .com these days?

Rafe Kelley
01-14-2010, 01:03 PM
There has allways been lots of reasons to doubt the efficacy of the mainsite perscription but lately its gotten completely out of control these workouts look like designed for no better reason then as Giant FU to everyone how has any idea about intelligent program and way to jack up the people still dumb enough to follow HQ.

Stupid and Dangerous
Three rounds for time of:
Walk on hands, 100 feet
Hold handstand against wall for two minutes
15 Handstand push-ups

Just stupid
Walking lunge, 50 meters
Standing broad-jump, 100 meters
Run 200 meters

Stupid and Dangerous especially back to back
Deadlift 1-10-1-20-1-30 reps
Front Squat 1-10-1-20-1-30 reps

I am just in awe I had to share.

Andrew Wilson
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
It's evidence based research training methodology to get a 750pound deadlift

Wayne Riddle
01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I love the idea of Crossfit, but sometimes looking at the WOD's I think to myself "What the hell was the person smoking?"

Garrett Smith
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
All part of the tailspin.

Derek Weaver
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Just more examples of exercise science being a pseudo science. Unless the ACSM releases a statement that walking on your hands... or breaking your neck while trying to walk on your hands... increases your virtuosity to new levels.

Hopefully this insane douchebaggery will scare new people away towards something that won't injure them.

Patrick Donnelly
01-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Honestly, if you were to remove the "for time" component, make it into three simple intervals, and have actual gymnasts (with solid handstands) do it as part of a structured program, it could make for a decent handstand/shoulder conditioning drill.

But we all know it isn't being done that way.

Derek Weaver
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Exactly. What percentage of people doing the .com wod can walk on their hands for 10 feet with any sort of real balance and control? I'd guess 10% would be generous.

John C Carter
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
There has allways been lots of reasons to doubt the efficacy of the mainsite perscription but lately its gotten completely out of control these workouts look like designed for no better reason then as Giant FU to everyone how has any idea about intelligent program and way to jack up the people still dumb enough to follow HQ.

Stupid and Dangerous
Walk on hands, 100 feet
Hold handstand against wall for two minutes
15 Handstand push-ups

Just stupid
Walking lunge, 50 meters
Standing broad-jump, 100 meters
Run 200 meters

Stupid and Dangerous especially back to back
Deadlift 1-10-1-20-1-30 reps
Front Squat 1-10-1-20-1-30 reps

I am just in awe I had to share.

But Mauricio something or other said that the main site WODs aren't random or dangerous, in response to that criticism.

They ignore the basics of programming with the haphazard WOD structure, which ignores the adaptations and residual fatigue effects of said workouts. That’s not just exercise-science wanking either; if you’re wiping the floor with yourself five days a week and trying to do train up everything at once, you’re going to pay for it one way or another. If you’re lucky, you’ll just get overtrained. Worst case is you get hurt, or get a case of rhabdomyolysis.

Which basically presumes that the WODs are just plucked out of thin air each day with no regard for the previous day or week. Wrong again. Main Page is quality because it isn't completely randomized. Why don't we ever have the same punishing WOD two days in a row?

You silly.

James Evans
01-15-2010, 03:10 AM
Doesn't CrossFit have a message board where you can discuss these concerns?

Patrick Donnelly
01-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Doesn't CrossFit have a message board where you can discuss these concerns?
No, but they have one where you can't.

Jeff Yan
01-15-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm with Patrick on this. This is reasonable skill work, but in this case it would make more sense to remove the emphasis on time.

-----

If you're willing to accept the functionality of HSPUs, then it shouldn't be much of a stretch to see the usefulness of programming handstand walking.

A lot of the objections I've seen to this workout could also be said of prescribing 135# snatches or, say, introducing swimming to the WOD. If you've never tried walking on your hands before, then don't attempt 300 ft on day 1. Likewise, if you have little experience with Oly lifts, then don't load up the bar with 45's; if you can't swim, don't jump into the deep end.

-----

Does anybody know if there have there been many injury reports coming from people who have attempted the handstand walking or the 1-10-1-20-1-30 WODs?

Brian DeGennaro
01-15-2010, 06:32 AM
I wish they would stop putting "for time" before everything. I'm waiting for the brainfart and "Rest Day: For Time" WOD.

Derek Weaver
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
But the problem us that they claim the programming is infinitely scalable. How the hell do you scale walking on your hands if you can't even hold a free handstand? I think walking on your hands is easier (I was pretty good when I was a tyke) but 100 feet? Taking reasonable skill work for a good gymnast and applying it to the masses is the ultimate example of stupidity.

Shane Skowron
01-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Honestly, if you were to remove the "for time" component, make it into three simple intervals, and have actual gymnasts (with solid handstands) do it as part of a structured program, it could make for a decent handstand/shoulder conditioning drill.

But we all know it isn't being done that way.

I suggested this on the main site comments. I said that for 99% of the people doing the WOD, it would be better to work on each skill individually for 30 minutes instead of having some random reps and sets put into a competitive workout.

My comment got censored shortly thereafter.

Jonathan Yoon
01-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I suggested this on the main site comments. I said that for 99% of the people doing the WOD, it would be better to work on each skill individually for 30 minutes instead of having some random reps and sets put into a competitive workout.

My comment got censored shortly thereafter.

That was unnecessary censorship for a suggestion. But then again, I think you're own personal programming has better quality than what's on the CFHQ site.

Patrick Donnelly
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
But the problem us that they claim the programming is infinitely scalable. How the hell do you scale walking on your hands if you can't even hold a free handstand? I think walking on your hands is easier (I was pretty good when I was a tyke) but 100 feet? Taking reasonable skill work for a good gymnast and applying it to the masses is the ultimate example of stupidity.
Yeah, the folks at CFHQ are giving the CF Brand X guys (who post scaled WODs daily) one hell of a hard time!

Jonathan Yoon
01-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Yeah, the folks at CFHQ are giving the CF Brand X guys (who post scaled WODs daily) one hell of a hard time!

I'm sure the Brand X guys are getting pissed off. Remember that one WOD where you had to do a one-hand pull-up by gripping the wrist of the arm you were doing the pull-up with? It's the one post where I didn't see Garddawg give scaling or even bother posting.

Mike ODonnell
01-15-2010, 10:38 AM
A workout is only as smart as the person who writes it up.

Brandon Oto
01-15-2010, 11:36 AM
I wish they would stop putting "for time" before everything. I'm waiting for the brainfart and "Rest Day: For Time" WOD.

This is probably the key point. Even if you agree with 100% of the stuff that goes into the WoDs, they still inevitably end up as "metcons" because you're trying to do it as fast as possible. The only exception is the strength days, and yes, I'm waiting for them to put a stopwatch on those too.

Garrett Smith
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I like when people time their warm-up.

Jeff Yan
01-15-2010, 02:15 PM
How the hell do you scale walking on your hands if you can't even hold a free handstand?

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1392

David Nittler
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I wish they would stop putting "for time" before everything.

Yeah, that issue really has me scratching my head of late.

Handstands are one of the skills I'm working into my daily programming right now. I time them, but the other way around. I've worked myself up to 1:00 against support, and something around 7 or 9 seconds free standing.

I can't see any advantage to racing this "for time."

Patrick Donnelly
01-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I can't see any advantage to racing this "for time."
How else will you be able to tell who won?

Rafe Kelley
01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Its not hard to make logical handstand work outs. How about 20 handstand holds for time post total time to comments, or max rep handstand push ups 5 rounds post total to comments, or handstand walk 300 feet graded by fewest falls. For time is great but its not the only way to measure success.

Brandon Oto
01-15-2010, 08:44 PM
For what it's worth we used to do handstand walks in gymnastics whether or not you could hold a HS. Gets you up there at least. You can stumble farther than you think.

Course, a sprung floor makes these lessons a little less painful.

Blair Lowe
01-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I've been thinking about trying this on the weekend some time. At first it looks nutso, but we'll see how it goes. The 20 HeSPU(on wall) will be very tough as well as the 2m HS. If I scale the HeSPU to back to wall with arms at 90 degrees I should be able to get through them (in a few sets). I'm generally good for clearing the 40' floor in 1-2 attempts right now though I don't think I've ever been able to hit 100'. Maybe walk the floor, pirouette and walk back at best. It's been awhile since I've tried a 2m wallHS.

One of the dangers of this is just completely trashing your wrists if they are not up to par. Even do Handstand shoulder tappers/wall runs can be hard on your wrist if you start falling on your wrists as you perform them.

You can sub 2 HandStand Shoulder tappers per hand for each foot as each step in a HS walk can be between 6" to a foot. Kind of depends on how big your hands are and how good your HS is. 200 Handstand shoulder tappers would not be easy. I think I've ever done while fresh is nearly a 100 but I've seen intermediate level gymnasts be able to do 50-100 in a free HS in place. It's not the same as a walk exactly.

Someone mentioned lately that .com WOD has become sort of a benchmark test at what they think their "elite" CFer athlete should be able to accomplish. That makes more sense than just a programming attempts. That's the only context I can think or they are merely just using the .com as a lab experiment rather than as programming (remember their old model of programming per the 3-1 model?).

Don't you want to be part of an experiment? Sounds kind of like the Chinese Olympic training model. Throw a lot of meat in the machine, most grinds/washes out, and some is still around afterwards and since you have so much meat to begin with; who cares? Now, I've heard that some of their programs have become much more interested in protecting and keeping their athletes healthy in recent years but this was the thoughts and words spoken of many of their athletes in training or after their competitive careers (because their bodies were so wracked and they weren't cared for well if they didn't make it).

For an ELITE training gymnast, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I'm pretty sure Coach Sommer's guys would crush this. I might ask him how he thinks they would do on it just for shits and giggles. I think I will ask Roger Harrell as well for fun.

travis earp
01-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Someone mentioned lately that .com WOD has become sort of a benchmark test at what they think their "elite" CFer athlete should be able to accomplish. That makes more sense than just a programming attempts. That's the only context I can think or they are merely just using the .com as a lab experiment rather than as programming (remember their old model of programming per the 3-1 model?).

Don't you want to be part of an experiment? Sounds kind of like the Chinese Olympic training model. Throw a lot of meat in the machine, most grinds/washes out, and some is still around afterwards and since you have so much meat to begin with; who cares? Now, I've heard that some of their programs have become much more interested in protecting and keeping their athletes healthy in recent years but this was the thoughts and words spoken of many of their athletes in training or after their competitive careers (because their bodies were so wracked and they weren't cared for well if they didn't make it).

If it's a benchmark or experiment for the "elite" crossfitters, then round those guys up and have them do the WODs. Don't post it on the web for a million people to see and then go run off and do at their local box. Plenty of people still do the .com workout of the day. Not that I really care to see Crossfit better themselves, but those guys need to cut the mad scientist act and get a real coach to write the programming. Like maybe one with a degree and some experience, unlike tough guy Dave Shenanigans Castro...

There's a big difference between the training protocols of the Chinese team (who's lifters have 10+ years of training and some PEDs under their belts) and the slew of crazy that crossfit.com has graciously bestowed upon the internet.

Stephen Flamm
01-16-2010, 12:47 PM
I had one guy - with a strong wrestling/MMA background and plenty of handstand practice - run through this as rx'd, though he took his time in between movements. Broke the 100' walk into 2-4 sets, rested a few minutes, held the 2:00 static hold, rested a few minutes, and then went through the HSPU. Took a total of 33:00. He enjoyed it. Everyone else spent 15 minutes practicing free-standing handstands, and then performed a heavily modified, manageable circuit.

I'm just saying, HQ can and should post whatever they want - it's up to the affiliates and athletes who choose to follow the main site to be smart about it. I've actually enjoyed some aspects of the recent bizarre WODs. The whole "Angie", "Cindy", and "Barbara" three day cycle, on the other hand...

Jeff Yan
01-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Blair
As far as I know:
-nobody at my gym has come out of this WOD with injuries aside from the expected wrist soreness
-most finished around 15-30 minutes, scaled or RXed
-don't think anybody is actively taking gymnastics, although the more successful ones were likely to have had some background in it, dance or yoga
-nobody made it out like this WOD was particularly worse than any other

While CF has a habit of punishing practitioners who lack skills by prescribing harder substitutions (e.g. 10:1 rope skips to double unders, 4 pull ups & 4 ring dips for every muscle up), in this case, I wouldn't think it to be appropriate. That is, even though it's true that people don't cover a whole foot while taking a handstand step, I'd even say that a substitution of 1 tap for every foot walked, let alone 2 to 1, would be a bit much. So, if handstand walking is possible, but 100' is too difficult then I'd recommend scaling the distance. If handstand walking any distance whatsoever is a huge challenge, then I'd recommend both substituting the movement AND scaling the work by doing even less than 100 shoulder taps per round.

Then again, you're the gymnast.

I'm curious to read how this goes for you.

Brian DeGennaro
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
The other thing with Chinese/Bulgarian type lifting programs is there is a progressive increase in volume, from start to finish, not a jump from 0-60, for everyone. The problem is jumping into the WOD which is 0-60 for most.

Patrick Donnelly
01-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm just saying, HQ can and should post whatever they want - it's up to the affiliates and athletes who choose to follow the main site to be smart about it.
Oh, come on!

Would everyone please stand up and move one chair to the left?

Stephen Flamm
01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Oh, come on!

Would everyone please stand up and move one chair to the left?

If you can't walk 300' on your hands, you're a fool to fight through hours of trying. If your 1RM deadlift is 250 lbs, you're a fool to try "Diane" as HQ prescribes it. These are fine workouts for people with the skills and experience to do them without risk of injury. The biggest problem I see with CF main site programming is that too many people think they can do it as prescribed and/or are unwilling or lack the experience to be able to scale intelligently.

Patrick Donnelly
01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
If you can't walk 300' on your hands, you're a fool to fight through hours of trying. If your 1RM deadlift is 250 lbs, you're a fool to try "Diane" as HQ prescribes it. These are fine workouts for people with the skills and experience to do them without risk of injury. The biggest problem I see with CF main site programming is that too many people think they can do it as prescribed and/or are unwilling or lack the experience to be able to scale intelligently.
Yeah, it's the "programming" that's the problem. That's it. Hit the nail on the head.

Stephen Flamm
01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
edited due to repost

Blair Lowe
01-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Then again, you're the gymnast.

A crappy, out of shape gymnastics coach at that. I have a few tricks I can still do but never really had many. Steve when he competed was a far better gymnast than I was with difficulty 2-3x of what I can do now or even at my prime (5 years ago).

On the mainsite, I saw a lot of ppl stating it took them somewhere between 20-30m, scaled or rx'd.

Scaling the HS walking distance, hold and HeSPU would make more sense than doing a gagillion HS shoulder tappers/wall runs. 200 sounds pretty ridiculous though we'll see how the 100 feet goes compounded with the HeSPU and HS hold.

All in all, I don't really what the mainsite WOD is other than just ideas for any metcons I might wanna do. For some reason, I like metcons even when they are stupid, but I think I've pretty much learned that they don't fit in with my programming goals. Sometimes, I'm still stupid and do it; but mostly I don't anymore.

Derek Weaver
01-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm just saying, HQ can and should post whatever they want - it's up to the affiliates and athletes who choose to follow the main site to be smart about it. I've actually enjoyed some aspects of the recent bizarre WODs. The whole "Angie", "Cindy", and "Barbara" three day cycle, on the other hand...

I disagree. HQ has a responsbility to not be idiotic. They are failing miserably. Very few people have the self discipline to scale accordingly. In turn, very few affiliates understand the need for proper coaching and scaling. HQ knows this claiming that the best facilities will rise to the top. In the meantime how many affiliates are going to screw up their clients trying to follow these ass backward workouts? Or even worse; how many will try to out do .com in an effort to be hardcore? It's just another symptom of what happens with a Mr Potato Head approach to programming.

Jeff Yan
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Very few people have the self discipline to scale accordingly.

Never tell people how to do things.
Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
- General George Patton Jr

Patrick Donnelly
01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Or in this case you can let them surprise you with their injuries.

John C Carter
01-17-2010, 03:35 AM
The simplest explanation is that whoever puts together their programming is more interested in being 'edgy' and 'hardcore' than actually putting together a solid results-getting program.

Or they just don't know what they're doing, since the idea of a universal 'scalable' (lol) workout is unworkable from the get go.

I think that last one is the most likely answer.

Derek Weaver
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Well played. Unfortunately what that quote leaves out is that for every genius who exceeds all expectations, at least one other moron sits in the corner eating glue. I'm not ashamed to say that I've been that moron in the past.

Don Stevenson
01-17-2010, 05:56 PM
every genius who exceeds all expectations, at least one other moron sits in the corner eating glue.

GOLD!!!!!

As a former CF affiliate and now sideline observer thinking about opening a gym this year I'm bemused by some of the stuff that's going on

Jay Ashman
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
GOLD!!!!!

As a former CF affiliate and now sideline observer thinking about opening a gym this year I'm bemused by some of the stuff that's going on

Former affiliate? What happened if you don't mind answering?

Don Stevenson
01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Nothing nefarious although i did have a frustrating experience trying to (unsuccessfully) organise the first CF certification in Australia.

I started Australia's first unofficial CF affiliate in August (ish) 2005 with a friend of mine Andrew Cattermole (who posts here occasionally) and we became the second official Aussie affiliates a couple of months later, getting beaten to the punch by a girl from North Queensland Fiona because i'm lazy when it comes to paperwork!

CF Sydney ran in parks for a while and then Andrew and I sublet some space at a big city gym that he was working at and started running lunchtime classes.

At the same time I was getting more involved with Olympic lifting and then later on running Kettlebell instructors courses. Eventually Andrew took over all the CF stuff and I gravitated toward OLY coaching and running KB workshops and courses.

The gym has moved from the original location and is going very well. Andrew became one of the first Aussies to do the Level 2 CF cert etc and we still shoot videos and stuff for each others newsletters etc but i'm not involved in the day to day running at all.

I've now decided to take a break from the (unpaid) Olympic lifting coaching to focus on building my business a bit more and am looking to open something in the second half of the year.

A couple of years ago it would definitely have been a CF affiliate but I don't want to pay $2000 a year plus have to pay another $1000 for a Level 1 cert where I'm pretty certain i'd be sucking eggs and would get looked down upon because my fran time sucks.

So instead it's going to be a gym that looks a lot like a CF affiliate (same gear, same sort of location) but with a slightly different programming focus. I'd eventually like to build it up and run a S+C facility that trains local athletes and is home to an olympic weightlifting club, strongman club and even heaven forbid, a powerlifting club.

Ironically though not CF affiliates these sort of places are cropping up in Sydney recently (after being noticeably absent the last 10 years) and their viability is due in some measure to the popularisation of things like oly, PL and strongman through CF. I even know of a local CF affilaite that is discreetly rebranding themselves as "XYZ strength and conditioning" and tweaking their programming while still keeping their affiliation.

Jay Ashman
01-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Nothing nefarious although i did have a frustrating experience trying to (unsuccessfully) organise the first CF certification in Australia.

I started Australia's first unofficial CF affiliate in August (ish) 2005 with a friend of mine Andrew Cattermole (who posts here occasionally) and we became the second official Aussie affiliates a couple of months later, getting beaten to the punch by a girl from North Queensland Fiona because i'm lazy when it comes to paperwork!

CF Sydney ran in parks for a while and then Andrew and I sublet some space at a big city gym that he was working at and started running lunchtime classes.

At the same time I was getting more involved with Olympic lifting and then later on running Kettlebell instructors courses. Eventually Andrew took over all the CF stuff and I gravitated toward OLY coaching and running KB workshops and courses.

The gym has moved from the original location and is going very well. Andrew became one of the first Aussies to do the Level 2 CF cert etc and we still shoot videos and stuff for each others newsletters etc but i'm not involved in the day to day running at all.

I've now decided to take a break from the (unpaid) Olympic lifting coaching to focus on building my business a bit more and am looking to open something in the second half of the year.

A couple of years ago it would definitely have been a CF affiliate but I don't want to pay $2000 a year plus have to pay another $1000 for a Level 1 cert where I'm pretty certain i'd be sucking eggs and would get looked down upon because my fran time sucks.

So instead it's going to be a gym that looks a lot like a CF affiliate (same gear, same sort of location) but with a slightly different programming focus. I'd eventually like to build it up and run a S+C facility that trains local athletes and is home to an olympic weightlifting club, strongman club and even heaven forbid, a powerlifting club.

Ironically though not CF affiliates these sort of places are cropping up in Sydney recently (after being noticeably absent the last 10 years) and their viability is due in some measure to the popularisation of things like oly, PL and strongman through CF. I even know of a local CF affilaite that is discreetly rebranding themselves as "XYZ strength and conditioning" and tweaking their programming while still keeping their affiliation.

I think we will see more of this as the fees increase... 2000 dollars isn't a lot of money for a big company, but its a lot for people starting a business from the ground up. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Good luck, Don, and thanks for answering that for us.

Blair Lowe
01-19-2010, 02:47 AM
to note, did this workout last night (I had meant to do it on saturday or sunday and didn't get to) and it took 4:45s on the 3rd round. It was pretty ridiculous at that point since each HS walk was about at least 2 steps but no more than 5 aka lots of falling out. The first round was much better as it took about 5 attempts and the 2nd round maybe 7-10. Unfortunately, I didn't time the 1st and 2nd rounds for HS walking though the first round took 8:45, and I started the 3rd at 20m finishing just past 30m@ 30:25. I'm sure if I shaved off some time for resting on the static wall HS or got a few more steps in during HS walks it coulda been faster.

oh, I guess the time would actually be 30:25-6m=24;25. 1st round finishing in 6:45. I had hoped to be 15-20m. Oops, I did 20 box HeSPU instead of 15 HeSPU on the wall. I managed to do 5 the first round on the first round, followed by 2 negatives to my head, followed by 2 singles. I counted the wall HeSPU worth 2 box HeSPU and scaled it to that from there on (except doing 20 instead of 15).

some time later when rested I attempted 100 HS shoulder tappers/HS wall run. Each count was 1 rep per hand. That took 1:01. That 100 was very trying to near failure basically. Near failure as in just a few reps more, maybe. 200 probably coulda been done in under 3m with rest.

I had earlier figured it would be about 2 steps per foot given the size of my step during a HS walk so 200 HS shoulder tappers/HS wall run. If I had subbed that it would have been much faster, I think.

I also had to modify the HeSPU to doing them off the box with piked hips. At best I can do 5 HeSPU so 20 would have been pretty futile.

I did do some some small volume strength work before but nothing too much. Again, starting the 3rd round in a HS was a near disaster as it was up to HS, maybe 2-3 steps and fall down the 40' strip (2 trips and a half=100').

I've never done that much HS walking volume-EVER. Lately I've been including 100' sort of a finisher (20' to L, to R, backwards, 40' forwards).

my wrists were slightly sore after so I did some wrist prehab/rehab, did a pushup fine, assisted dip somewhat ez, dip slow, ring support just ok and ring dip trying and HeSPU on wall very hard. Just a guage. They were just ever so sore on while trying any of the pushing exercises. I chime in tomorrow if they are crushed.

More strength endurance than anything, well besides technique.

Patrick Haskell
01-19-2010, 11:10 AM
More strength endurance than anything, well besides technique.

So, what's the point of working this technique in a fatigued state? Did you find a rationale for this while in the throes of your inverted tedium, Blair? It's as if CFHQ decided that they'd make up for lost time on handstand work in One Glorious Workout. I fail to see any benefit to doing this for time. Just because fitness works best when progress is measurable doesn't mean every single workout needs to be expressed in kilowatt-hours. I think most CrossFitters would be better off if they put away the F-ing stopwatch for a while and took a fresh look at their training.

Garrett Smith
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
The only handstand workout "for time" I'm likely to ever do will be handstand hold competitions with my kid(s).

Now that's something worth pursuing. :D

Blair Lowe
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Some thoughts in my head as I approached this was doing 1 round for time to evaluate it, but I decided to chug ahead even as I had to scale back the HeSPU to doing them with piked hips off a box.

That old quote in that Greg Admunson doing MU thread back on CF in 05 where Coach Sommer chimed in was Glassman liking to push athletes to the brink and then ask for perfect technique. The thought came across that it only works when athletes were muscling a movement or if it was too light. Dumb.

One, this workout will not approve the technique of improving HS walking. Not for me anyways. For people who don't really work HS, sure. It is something different. However, I notice a lot of people new to adult gymnastics can barely take a half dozen attempts at wall HS when it comes to their wrists compounded with 5-10 kick to HS. Of course, not a lot of them are in shape, but even ex gymnasts coming back to adult gymnastics will complain.

My friends at CFMarin came up with a progression that is basically 1 leg kicking to 45 above horizontal. I thought about testing that as well. I'm sure that would have been more metabolic but it would allow newbies to try doing HS without worrying about having to fall. I did think about instead of the walking, attempting 100 kick to HS. Newbies, could use a wall or mat.

I've got no idea if CFers could HS wall run that fast, it might take them a lot longer to do 100-200. I thought about trying it today instead of after taking a break from that WOD to get a better idea. 2-3m of wall HS runs for 3 rounds would be a bit similar to some of the GB HS wall run workouts.

Two, I do feel some tension in my abs, so it's definitely torso/mid-line stabilization, blah-blah-blah.

It's as if CFHQ decided that they'd make up for lost time on handstand work in One Glorious Workout. Agreed. I think that's why I saw some people and affiliates just decided to train HS for 30m. I was thinking a few weeks ago, I'd love to see HS walking in the Games. There is some skill work. Let's face it, asking ppl to do free HeSPU on ground would probably be a bit much, but being able to show you can walk in a HS tells a lot about awareness.

I think most CrossFitters would be better off if they put away the F-ing stopwatch for a while and took a fresh look at their training. You'll notice some CF'ers have taken to doing this, doing skill workouts instead of CF WOD and have garned a ration of shit for it.

Ben Moskowitz
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I had one guy ...took a total of 33:00. He enjoyed it. Everyone else spent 15 minutes practicing free-standing handstands, and then performed a heavily modified, manageable circuit.

I think this is the proper approach to this WOD. Practicing while fresh is key. Most people on the mainsite and at brand x took the liberty of scaling the WOD, although I think the above strategy is better than doing a larger volume of bear crawls/wheelbarrows/etc. I also saw a lot of people remark "This WOD showed me a big hole in my fitness." Brandon, weren't you previously concerned that the mainsite was not adequately addressing the fitness components of accuracy, balance, etc.? Doesn't this WOD move in that direction?

Brandon Oto
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for hauling me in, jerkface.

Yes, the reason I haven't been piling on here is that while a lot of the recent WoDs seem somewhat ridiculous, I do at least approve of the overall attempt to diversify. The flip side is what I pointed out above -- that the "do everything as fast as you can and get really tired" method is really only appropriate when your workout is trying to develop conditioning, and if you're trying to train other things instead, it's probably a disservice to both your actual goal and to the metabolic element.

There is a certain argument to be made for training skills (and here we might mean anything by that word) in debilitated states; for instance, many good self defense instructors do stress-based training to teach the ability to perform techniques while adrenalized. But I think we can probably all agree that, for instance, learning to do a handstand, and then maybe seeing if you can do them while you're tired, is going to get you a lot further than running a mile before every handstand attempt, starting from day one.

One important bit here is that, if you can't do a handstand while you're tired (to belabor the example), it is probably mostly a simple "neurological" problem -- i.e. you're not used to having to do such things, and all it takes to fix that is doing it a few times until you're no longer surprised at what's going on. In other words, no big deal, and hardly something that requires long-term incorporation of the debilitated state into your already-challenging efforts to develop an unrelated ability.

Other examples of this would be learning to juggle while tired, learning French with DOMS, learning to boil eggs with a heartrate of 190, and learning to pee while people are watching.

Patrick Donnelly
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Doesn't this WOD move in that direction?
Handstands one day per year = "We do gymnastics workouts."

Blair Lowe
01-21-2010, 10:48 PM
To note, while I thought my wrists were fine on tuesday, they were still Wednesday somewhat. Especially when I was doing my 100' of HS walking toward the end of my workout. It wasn't just the other stuff in my workout that made them sore. They were sore pretty much when I got on my hands to start doing HS pirouettes and presses against the wall but not in the cartwheels and HeSPU on floor.

Ben Moskowitz
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree that training skills while fresh is optimal, and that unfortunately, someone taking the WOD at face value will not see this and just attempt lower quality work while not grooving optimal or perhaps decent motor patterns. The same could be said for the Olympic lifts or maybe just about every movement.

Handstands one day per year = "We do gymnastics workouts."

The bravado and semantics is what's always irksome, isn't it? It probably drives about 90% of the couch thread. Anyways, maybe people will take note of how much they suck at handstands and then dedicate future skill work to developing their handstand. They could alternatively go back to the ADD pursuit of chasing whatever WOD pops up that day and have no plan for their skill development. Dutch wrote a pretty good post about this here on his blog. (http://www.dutchlowy.com/2009/08/05/hitting-your-weaknesses-for-real-this-time/) Overall, I think that this is at least a step in the right direction.

p.s. Blair, thanks for taking the time to post your experience with this workout.

Mike ODonnell
01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Tis like the story of the wolf and the sheep.....

The problem with being a sheep is you get bored and need to be entertained while wandering around in circles....

The problem with being a wolf is that you get lonely...but you actually know what you need to do and don't get bored in the process....

On another note, I did play some miniature golf last year....so does that make me a golfer?

Erik Reckdenwald
01-22-2010, 10:11 AM
On another note, I did play some miniature golf last year....so does that make me a golfer?

Along those same lines, I'm going to become the world's foremost musician by randomly playing different instruments every day with varying styles and durations. You are only as musically fit as you are competent in each different type of instrument.

Jamie J. Skibicki
01-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I think it's the "CF is my sport" people that get on my nerves the most. GPP is supposed to be a based upon which you cultivate SPP.

Garrett Smith
01-22-2010, 10:38 AM
But didn't the "30 front uprises for time" show a big hole in CFer's fitness too?

Trying to plug every "hole" in one's fitness is like the boy and the dyke story. There's just too many holes and not enough time or energy.

Robb Wolf
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Shot coffee up my nose on that. Fracking funny.

Grissim Connery
01-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Along those same lines, I'm going to become the world's foremost musician by randomly playing different instruments every day with varying styles and durations. You are only as musically fit as you are competent in each different type of instrument.

best statements ever

Kevin Perry
01-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I think it's the "CF is my sport" people that get on my nerves the most. GPP is supposed to be a based upon which you cultivate SPP.

Yea that pisses my nerves too. It's as if they have never played a real sport with competition and their only experience is playing third grade soccer where everyone is a "winner" and gets a little trophy.

Mike ODonnell
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM

I actually have no issue for people who want to do that. More power to them for doing something productive. It's not my choice of sports though.

However when someone starts putting others down in some sense of being superior to them, then I feel sorry for those people...because they are just not happy on the inside in the first place. There's a difference between really pushing/challenging yourself and just trying to be "better" than someone else (snubbing those who don't do what you do especially).

But for every one person who thinks they are "elite"...there are still 100+ people doing the same activity who are supportive and not condescending towards others.

This can happen with any fitness based activity ..... powerlifting .... bodybuilding .... CF ..... Spin Class ...etc. You'll find a small group of same elite minded people in all those areas. Same old insecurities, just using another fitness OCD activity to mask them.

True and lasting happiness comes from the inside first....and not purely from a 400lb bench, 21" biceps, ripped abs or sub 3min Fran time.

Jay Ashman
01-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I actually have no issue for people who want to do that. More power to them for doing something productive. It's not my choice of sports though.

However when someone starts putting others down in some sense of being superior to them, then I feel sorry for those people...because they are just not happy on the inside in the first place. There's a difference between really pushing/challenging yourself and just trying to be "better" than someone else (snubbing those who don't do what you do especially).

But for every one person who thinks they are "elite"...there are still 100+ people doing the same activity who are supportive and not condescending towards others.

This can happen with any fitness based activity ..... powerlifting .... bodybuilding .... CF ..... Spin Class ...etc. You'll find a small group of same elite minded people in all those areas. Same old insecurities, just using another fitness OCD activity to mask them.

True and lasting happiness comes from the inside first....and not purely from a 400lb bench, 21" biceps, ripped abs or sub 3min Fran time.

Reminds me of the CrossFitters who put down P90X and "globo gym" members... I say so what, as long as people are on the right track and doing something to better themselves, who the hell are we to judge and have a superiority complex over it?

Not all are like that, but enough are. Judging by the globo thread on the CF board.... Of course we all have funny stories about people in the gym, but I won't put someone down for trying. Hell I go out of my way to help kids out who I see doing poor form on power cleans/deads/squats, etc to help them so they learn it before they get hurt, I don't ridicule them on a webboard...

Mike, you said it absolutely perfect.

Jonathan Yoon
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Reminds me of the CrossFitters who put down P90X and "globo gym" members... I say so what, as long as people are on the right track and doing something to better themselves, who the hell are we to judge and have a superiority complex over it?

Not all are like that, but enough are. Judging by the globo thread on the CF board.... Of course we all have funny stories about people in the gym, but I won't put someone down for trying. Hell I go out of my way to help kids out who I see doing poor form on power cleans/deads/squats, etc to help them so they learn it before they get hurt, I don't ridicule them on a webboard...

Mike, you said it absolutely perfect.

It's reciprocal of the feelings. A guy I work with told me at his gym (a 24HR Fitness, I think) there was some dude that just annoys the shit out of everyone whenever he shows up. He does his workouts and does them relatively fast, but everyone at the gym virtually clears out whenever this guy shows up.

I asked some more questions about the guy and the thing that annoys everyone at the gym. He said the guy screams (a lot) when he does any kind of lifting. He also does really bizarre things like taking dumbbells in his hands and doing jumps. He also had "really weird shoes". I asked more questions. Verified the guy was doing triplets and the shoes were Vibram Five Fingers. He said yes and that when the guy did the triplet work, he looked like he was spazzing out.

I simply said, "Spazzing out? Okay, that confirms it. The guy's doing CrossFit."

Shane Skowron
01-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I hope you told your co-worker to be happy that he trains at the same gym as an elite athlete.

Jay Ashman
01-24-2010, 01:15 AM
It's reciprocal of the feelings. A guy I work with told me at his gym (a 24HR Fitness, I think) there was some dude that just annoys the shit out of everyone whenever he shows up. He does his workouts and does them relatively fast, but everyone at the gym virtually clears out whenever this guy shows up.

I asked some more questions about the guy and the thing that annoys everyone at the gym. He said the guy screams (a lot) when he does any kind of lifting. He also does really bizarre things like taking dumbbells in his hands and doing jumps. He also had "really weird shoes". I asked more questions. Verified the guy was doing triplets and the shoes were Vibram Five Fingers. He said yes and that when the guy did the triplet work, he looked like he was spazzing out.

I simply said, "Spazzing out? Okay, that confirms it. The guy's doing CrossFit."
If anyone is screaming while working out, they better be doing lifts that require 5-6 plates at least.

Wayne Riddle
01-24-2010, 09:47 AM

I've posted on the "seen in the globo" thread before but not anymore and not reading it either, pretty much for the reasons you said. I don't want to be part of the problem but a solution to help people better themselves.

And as for the superiority complex, I get really tired of people proclaiming the CF Game winner as the "fittest person on the planet". They were the best performer that took part in the games during at the time. Don't try to make it sound more than what it is.

Mike ODonnell
01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
He said the guy screams (a lot) when he does any kind of lifting.

People who scream (while not putting up 500+ lbs) and/or run around leaving weights all over the place for people to trip over are just like the guy I saw yesterday doing curls with his sleeve rolled up standing 12" from the mirror for 30 min......they both just need a hug.....then a kick in the ass.....then another hug.

Jonathan Yoon
01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I hope you told your co-worker to be happy that he trains at the same gym as an elite athlete.

Darn! I knew I forgot something!

If anyone is screaming while working out, they better be doing lifts that require 5-6 plates at least.

Not even close. Try 50 lbs dumbbells.

People who scream (while not putting up 500+ lbs) and/or run around leaving weights all over the place for people to trip over are just like the guy I saw yesterday doing curls with his sleeve rolled up standing 12" from the mirror for 30 min......they both just need a hug.....then a kick in the ass.....then another hug.

I doubt anyone in that gym wants to go near the dude. Coworker buddy said that everyone wipes down the equipment down twice for fear that whatever he's on could be contracted through his sweat.

Patrick Donnelly
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
And as for the superiority complex, I get really tired of people proclaiming the CF Game winner as the "fittest person on the planet". They were the best performer that took part in the games during at the time. Don't try to make it sound more than what it is.
"Fittest person on the planet?" I think you mean universe there, buddy.
Did you see any aliens on the podium at last year's Games?

I didn't think so!

Jay Ashman
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I've posted on the "seen in the globo" thread before but not anymore and not reading it either, pretty much for the reasons you said. I don't want to be part of the problem but a solution to help people better themselves.

I agree 100%.

Have you ever seen footage of Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, T.O. or Ronnie Lott train in the offseason? Now that is fitness and strength. Not to say Mikko Salo isn't a very fit individual, it is obvious he is, but CF's definition of fit as compared to a power sport is very different.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM

I like to think in generally the same way that you say here Jay. I'm an avid CF board member, but I don't have illusions of grandeur that CF is the best thing since sliced bread.

That being said, I think a lot of people on this board have some misguided hate for CF in general because of the "superiority complex" that CF is perceived to have. I think that the whole "world's fittest man" is a little silly, but lets look at CF for what it really is: A gateway for people to go from same-thing-every-day-at-a-globo to better things like Oly lifting, powerlifting, strongman stuff, sprint ladders, etc.

I think that there are people that have the delusion that CF is the end-all-be-all of fitness... but its not. It's a gateway to a place like CA.

Just my 2 cents.

Shane Skowron
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I think that the whole "world's fittest man" is a little silly, but lets look at CF for what it really is: A gateway for people to go from same-thing-every-day-at-a-globo to better things like Oly lifting, powerlifting, strongman stuff, sprint ladders, etc.

It's great that regular people are doing old-school, sensible methods of athletic training. If that's all they claimed it were, then I don't think people would ridicule it so much.

The problem is that it's claimed that Crossfitters dominate other athletes through competition not debate, that Crossfitters can pull 750 pound deadlifts in only two years simply by following the mainsite, that exercise physiology has contributed nothing to fitness, that specialization is for insects, that the type of training for Olympic athletes and grandmoms differs by degree not kind, and the athletic achievements of real athletes are put down.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
mIt's great that regular people are doing old-school, sensible methods of athletic training. If that's all they claimed it were, then I don't think people would ridicule it so much.

The problem is that it's claimed that Crossfitters dominate other athletes through competition not debate, that Crossfitters can pull 750 pound deadlifts in only two years simply by following the mainsite, that exercise physiology has contributed nothing to fitness, that specialization is for insects, that the type of training for Olympic athletes and grandmoms differs by degree not kind, and the athletic achievements of real athletes are put down.

i agree with that. I also just try to stay away from ridiculing much in general.

Jay Ashman
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
It's great that regular people are doing old-school, sensible methods of athletic training. If that's all they claimed it were, then I don't think people would ridicule it so much.

The problem is that it's claimed that Crossfitters dominate other athletes through competition not debate, that Crossfitters can pull 750 pound deadlifts in only two years simply by following the mainsite, that exercise physiology has contributed nothing to fitness, that specialization is for insects, that the type of training for Olympic athletes and grandmoms differs by degree not kind, and the athletic achievements of real athletes are put down.you are 100% correct.

If Ex Physio contributed nothing then the ACSM and the NSCA wouldn't be as respected as they are. Sure some things they have in their books aren't perfect but that is why we, as trainers/trainees, need to be well-informed about what works.

One thing I will give CF a ton of credit for is the teaching of good form. Say what you will but when you go to a certification you are taught good form. That isn't to say that every single trainer and client practices good form but it is taught at least at the certs.

I hate the 750# deadlift claim because there isn't anybody in CF with a 750# deadlift that didn't do strength specialization for a long time. a 750# deadlift is incredible, and if you can do that and maintain a decent level of fitness you are truly a specimen and CF didn't get you there, your genetics did.

Olympic and pro athletes train like it is a fulltime job and none of them do a 20 minute workout and call themselves ready for competition. Sport specific training, speed work, etc. are all required and for anyone to even insinuate that CF can make you an "elite athlete" is wrong.

What CF does is make you fitter and stronger. Sure you won't be the big dog on the playing field but most people in CF don't play sports, CF is their "sport". And that is fine if that is their end goal, but to claim elite is foolish.

The elite CFers are only elite in CF. If a CFer plays a sport and adapts his training to fit the sport, and excels at it, then that particular person can say he is a top notch athlete, but most don't do that.

I wish CF would just stick to the "forging elite fitness" banner because what CF does is create fitter people, not athletes. The two aren't interchangeable. Athletes train for a sport, they specialize; CFers train to be fit, it is GPP. GPP doesn't make you an athlete, it just makes you fit.

Ben Moskowitz
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Fit-lete?

James Evans
01-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Shot coffee up my nose on that. Fracking funny.

I let Patrick have the punchline there.

James Evans
01-25-2010, 03:47 AM
"Fittest person on the planet?" I think you mean universe there, buddy.
Did you see any aliens on the podium at last year's Games?

I didn't think so!

And thus we return to UFOs and the circle is once more complete.

Blair Lowe
01-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I think it's the "CF is my sport" people that get on my nerves the most.

Ditto, get a life. Then again, some people think cheerleading is a sport.

is like the boy and the dyke story.

this must be a story I've never heard. Please tell us as it could be pretty funny if she "butch". I've heard of that one with the "dike".

Jay Ashman
01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
to play devil's advocate here (I have my own opinion but I want to hear other's), what do you all think of strongman, powerlifting, olympic weightlifting etc. being called a sport as well?

CFers will argue those are recognized sports and will argue it is nothing more than a workout, as they do for the Games... what is your opinion on the matter?

I think of them as competitions, nothing more, nothing less. Sure they all require skill in their chosen discipline, but you are not going to physical battle against an opponent as you would in baseball, football, rugby, soccer, or even tennis... its a tough call to classify a sport at times, but I have my own definition of it, and mine encompasses when you physically are better than an opponent in head to head contest. Sure you can outlift someone, out "metcon" someone but when you inflict your physical will on someone to prove victorious, that is my definition of a sport.

Derek Weaver
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Jay,
Your definition of a sport is a little strange to me. Of the competitions you listed, the most random is Strongman. Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Track & Field, Gymnastics, and the list goes on- They all have set rules in a contest format that is very clear. The athletes have a specific set of rules and regulations to go with a specific event or set of events.

Training for the unknowable a la crossfit is not a sport. It's called working out with no clear purpose. Just to improve work capacity across broad time and modal domains is better accomplished with kettlebell lifting, which actually can be called a sport since GS practitioners have a time limit under which to compete and a clear definition of what constitutes victory ahead of the competition beginning.

In CF winning could be finishing without injury, or lifting more weight, more reps, not breaking your thumb with a sledge hammer in a dumbass stake driving contest that 135 lb thrusters somehow didn't prepare you very well for....

Only in combat sports is the "last man standing mentality" acceptable. In CF-land it's called the WOD.

Jay Ashman
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
you are right, Derek... I have no argument against that at all.

you make a great argument for that point, I happen to agree with a lot of it.

I can never call CF a sport because of the unknown and unknowable factor, that is a given.

you are right about those variables, set rules, parameters, etc.. in that case it makes a clear difference entirely, and one I can say I didn't consider when writing that post.

Derek Weaver
01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
That's not meant to be a knock on you, and I hope it didn't come across as such. My big thing is when people start changing "CF" to suit their sport, it's not CF anymore. People see youtube clips of Jonathan Chaimberg (sp?), GSP's S&C guy putting his guys through circuits and say they're "CF"ing. CF is random to deal with the random- smart at first glance, then becomes stunningly idiotic. CF football is a move in the right direction, even if it is a little nutty, but it's not CF.

I have no problem with most of the original CF principles. A running list of things I like: heavy power lifts, heavy olympic lifts (though the dependence on barbells with older adults who may not have or be able to develop the flexibility and motor patterns may make this a bad thing- just a thought as I tend to think it's a good thing for most though), popularization of kettlebells (that stupid ass "American Swing" has to go though), reintroduction of rudimentary gymnastic maneuvers, circuit training as an alternative to running, getting people who don't need it to eat a little less and move a little more.

Things I think suck and wish I hadn't been a part of: glorification of Pukie the Clown, Uncle Rhabdo or whatever it is, circuit training as an alternative to running (all people want to do is "metcon" a little LSD never hurt anyone, ask any college kid), lack of periodization of any sort, The Zone as the nutritional be-all, ever referring to Glassman as "Coach"- he's not coaching me and never has. What coaching is he doing exactly? He's the originator behind a really impressive movement, and that's good enough. I do have respect for what he's accomplished, I just don't agree with most of it anymore. Founder is more appropriate and accurate at this point in my opinion.

edit:
One thing I forgot to add that is the most appropriate to this post and this thread, calling CF a sport or, "The Sport of Fitness".

Darryl Shaw
01-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Then again, some people think cheerleading is a sport.

"Any sport that combines gymnastics, dance and short skirts is okay by me." :D

Brandon Oto
01-26-2010, 06:13 AM
The only problem I have with calling CF a sport is that its challenges and requirements are essentially yours to modify. If you go to an event like the Games and win or lose, okay, that's a competition. But if you're just training on your own, it's very, very easy to shoot for a 3:00 Fran, not get it, and go, "well, I think that gymnastics is actually a superior fitness domain," and start doing that instead.

If you're a basketball player shooting 3 points a game, and your team is 0 and 13 for the season, you can't just decide that basketball is for the birds and you're actually a knitting circle. That is literally the definition of sport and competition. You're faced with daunting challenges that won't change no matter what you might like. If you want to overcome them enough, you have to make great sacrifices and put forth a ton of work, and eventually you change yourself until you're better than them. This is absolutely meaningless if you're also the person setting the challenges.

Chris Forbis
01-26-2010, 06:41 AM
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." - Hemingway

And yes, I know it wasn't actually him that said it, but it sounds better that way.

Jay Ashman
01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Derek, I didn't take it as a knock on me at all.

I never called CF a sport, I have a different opinion of what a sport is than what CF claims to be.

Jay Cohen
01-26-2010, 09:22 AM
I think this thread has become a sport, but not the level of the Couch Thread.

Derek Weaver
01-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Derek, I didn't take it as a knock on me at all.

I never called CF a sport, I have a different opinion of what a sport is than what CF claims to be.

Cool, I was battling some insomnia when posting and wasn't sure what the tone of the posts may have come across as.

I think that just about all of us have a different definition of what Sport is than CF. As in, just because one wants to claim that their brand of "fitness" is a sport doesn't make it so. Under their definition, life is a sport. Random, no predefined point before the "event" begins... it's about as philosophical as I get these days.

Sara Fleming
01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I think this thread has become a sport, but not the level of the Couch Thread.

I believe you are right Jay. I can't say for sure if the dominant event is chest-beating or back pedaling . . . ;)

Jamie J. Skibicki
01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
There was a thread on CF about sport and ones of the suggestions was the distinction between "Sport" and "Athletics".

Sport was defined as something where you competed directly against the person, your opponent having to adjust to your actions. Athletics was defined as competitions where every competed against the same external measuring device.

Tennis, backetball, football, rugby, combat sports, etc were considered sports.

Weightlifting, powerlifting, Strongman, all track and field, were considered athletics.

All the judged (gymnastics, figure skating, cheerleading, kata competitions) occupy some space between the two.

Scott Kustes
01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
In most parts of the world, Track and Field is actually called "athletics".

Jay Ashman
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Jamie, that is how I look at it, but far more eloquently than I put it...

Blair Lowe
01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, the line between athletics and sports is a blurrying one.

"Any sport that combines gymnastics, dance and short skirts is okay by me." I can't argue with that logic.

Garrett Smith
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
It's like what I say to guys who ask me, "Why would you want to go watch college women's gymnastics?"

Um, strong, fit, college-age women in leotards hucking themselves through the air...why would I *not* want to spend $5 to watch that? :D

The fact that my wife has been going to these meets since she was a little girl only means that I don't get any grief about going, ever...double bonus!!!

Derek Weaver
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
It's like what I say to guys who ask me, "Why would you want to go watch college women's gymnastics?"

Um, strong, fit, college-age women in leotards hucking themselves through the air...why would I *not* want to spend $5 to watch that? :D

The fact that my wife has been going to these meets since she was a little girl only means that I don't get any grief about going, ever...double bonus!!!

You're a lucky man Garrett. Very lucky indeed.

Justin Algera
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah thats one of the biggest things I miss about moving from Gainesville years ago... The Lady Gator meets were great and at $7.00 for the wife and I some cheap entertainment!!

Blair Lowe
01-27-2010, 12:28 AM
"Why would you want to go watch college women's gymnastics?"

Um, strong, fit, college-age women in leotards hucking themselves through the air...why would I *not* want to spend $5 to watch that?

Sir, it is no wonder that you are a Dr. with that genius intellect at work.

for the wife and I some cheap entertainment!! Gold.

To note, on mainpage CF, they filmed a gal at CFSC doing the HS WOD in 7m posted (-6m in wallHS). Gymnast obviously and kipped the HeSPU.

Patrick Donnelly
01-27-2010, 05:13 AM
To note, on mainpage CF, they filmed a gal at CFSC doing the HS WOD in 7m posted (-6m in wallHS). Gymnast obviously and kipped the HeSPU.

You see, now there's a CrossFitter who doesn't even need the handstand work... So what's the point of her doing this workout?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitSC_Galassi_HandstandWOD.mov

Darryl Shaw
01-27-2010, 06:24 AM
You see, now there's a CrossFitter who doesn't even need the handstand work... So what's the point of her doing this workout?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitSC_Galassi_HandstandWOD.mov

To make the rest of us feel weak and inferior?

Mike ODonnell
01-27-2010, 10:13 AM

That's why I never check the main WOD site and only watch the Biggest Loser....I feel like a winner.

Patrick Donnelly
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
That's why I never check the main WOD site and only watch the Biggest Loser....I feel like a winner.
All you have to do in order to be a winner is simply not check the mainsite WOD. Watching the Biggest Loser is optional.

What? Feel inferior because someone who clearly has prior handstand training is better at handstands than you? That's not to empower the misguided belief some people (http://board.crossfit.com/) hold about the accomplishments of "specialists" being insignificant because they're "specialists," it's just to say that you shouldn't "inferior" just because other people are good at something.

It's also funny how the CrossFit videos have been flaunting specialized gymnastics stuff lately, while they've always held that "nature punishes the specialist" view.

Anyway, that's enough blathering from me.

Gant Grimes
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM

You haven't seen me throw a caber.

Garrett Smith
01-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Those kipping HeSPUs are a joke, right?

Blair Lowe
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm not very fond of them. Our HC is and for our girl's it's ok.

Keep in mind, our girls can do lots of kipping HeSPU. Most of them can barely do a few box-like HeSPU with their head to the ground. Now granted half of them are lazy or lazy and weak, but still. They stand on the tumbl-trak, put their hands on the ground, straddle their legs and still don't reach their heads down.

I can't remember if I've seen them do back to wall HeSPU. I can't remember it offhand.

I'm gonna try this on Sunday and I've got a feeling it would make the workout very different.

Jeff Yan
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM

She should have been punished for being a specialist by being made to do 150 wall balls for time.

Jamie J. Skibicki
01-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Gant,

I didn't know you danced before throwing the caber. Please post a video if this.

Garrett Smith
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Re: the female gymnast in the HS wad:
http://games2010.crossfit.com/qualifiers/norcal-freak---handstand-wod.html#comments
What you don't see in her workout stats is the major reductions in times in her WODs in just the past few months. She has cut her Diane time just about in half in the last two months. She pushes HARD and has limitless natural talent, to boot.
Another strong athlete BEFORE CF, then practicing CF, lo and behold getting better at "doing CF" at an extremely rapid pace!

I'm shocked. Just shocked.

I still think she should be embarrassed about those HeSPUs...but when she can get the adulation of an entire community, why not?

John P. Walsh
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Funny how things change. Not long ago these comments were grounds for banishment.

John P. Walsh
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Can we bring back the flying saucer thread?

Gant Grimes
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Things change indeed. Welcome back.

Brandon Oto
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh dear.

Blair Lowe
01-28-2010, 11:43 PM
power tumbling at the elite level for 3 years. I performed in a circus troupe in San Jose for 6 years, and I was what would be considered an aerialist... I have been coaching gymnastics for 14 years, and I currently coach a competitive team as my full time job."

A very ELITE athlete already. Interesting note is that I have probably seen her on the coaching circuit before as I've stepped into both gyms in SC.

Anybody performing in a circus professionally is very up there talent wise in gymnastics. More so than most people who say they have done gymnastics.

My friend has an ex UCLA gymnast at his box and her ability to learn things is incredible. Seriously, high level/elite gymnasts are just beyond what most people think. They pick up skills like kids under a pinata.

Jay Ashman
01-29-2010, 01:05 AM
the more things change, the more things stay the same I guess...

Mike ODonnell
01-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Can we bring back the flying saucer thread?

+1

Something needs to compete against the couch thread at IGX

Ryan Secor
02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Saw this workout up there and had to throw it up on this thread... wow.

Friday 100205

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 rep rounds of:
135 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull
Pull to inverted hang and lower as slowly as possible

Derek Weaver
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
That workout is so retarded. I can't wait to see the different injuries in the forum after that one.

Interesting they don't want that one for time.

Ryan Secor
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Interesting they don't want that one for time.

No one will take that part of it seriously...

Blair Lowe
02-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Yep. 21 pulls through FL to invert including 84 total would be a bitch of a workout. Coupled with 135 SDHP.

I'm not sure if the 84 SDHP sounds bad. I'm guessing yes because they will most likely be bouncing these off the floor which will do wonderful things to some people's lower back.

I can't imagine anyone doing 21 pulls to invert, much less 84 with those SDHP. I'm pretty sure this would screw me up even if I were to only do K2E or knees to invert (essentially a tucked FL).

Now with controlled descents.

Not that anyone cares, as I barely care; but I tried that CF HS WOD again and cut nearly 1m off my 1 round time when replacing the HeSPU with kipped/kicking HeSPU. Last time, my 1 round time was 6:45 and this time was 5:50.

I ended up doing one round as I pulled something around supraspinatus/rhomboid which is a pretty common area for me. I'm not sure if it was the kipped HeSPU, from the speed of the push or coming back to the head with a minor soft bounce or just compounding on prior ring lever/press work (light in volume).

So kipping was faster. Besides my hands/wrists were getting messed up again and after 50' the HS walks weren't so great cause of that. Fun, but probably never again.

And yes, I like to dumb things...often but not as much anymore.

Brandon Oto
02-05-2010, 03:47 AM
"This is not for time."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Garrett Smith
02-05-2010, 04:51 AM
84 front lever negatives. Does the stupidity have no bounds? Obviously they don't consult their SMEs, ever.

I'm making progress on my front lever doing *6-7* singles of those once a week!

Erik Reckdenwald
02-05-2010, 07:35 AM
84 front lever negatives. Does the stupidity have no bounds? Obviously they don't consult their SMEs, ever.

Next up for a mainsite gymnasitc wod will be planche pushups.

If 99%+ of people need to scale a workout substantially, what's the point of posting it?

Jeff Yan
02-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I want to see the video for this one.

Even if it's not for time, I want to know what would be considered a reasonable or elite time for a non-gymnast CFer to complete 84 front lever pulls to inversion with slow negatives.

Jay Ashman
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I won't even comment on my opinion of this workout. I'm going under the assumption now that mainpage programming is mainly senseless so I don't have to rant about it anymore to people I know. :D

Brian DeGennaro
02-05-2010, 08:15 AM
There is no reasonable time for a non-elite gymnast to complete this nonsense. Gymnasts I know aren't doing more than 30 reps of any kind of front lever work.

Dominic Sirianni
02-05-2010, 08:20 AM
well the workout isn't for time, so basically its just skill work for 99.9999999% of the world

James Evans
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Weak performer, obviously....hic...

James Evans
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I shall sign off for the weekend by pointing out that my gymnastic skill extends no further than 5 consecutive muscle ups.

I'm handy with gin though.

Garrett Smith
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
well the workout isn't for time, so basically its just skill work for 99.9999999% of the world
I'm not sure I would call jumping to an inverted hang to trying to control a free-fall towards the ground "skill work"...:rolleyes:

Dominic Sirianni
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I just mean that if anyone in our box would want to attempt this we would just say do back lever or front lever progressions and some foam rolling. I don't see any other way to look at these type of workouts. They just read "do gymnastics skill progressions" to me.

We have been using the DD Sommer (http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/11/the-russians-gymnastics-warm-up-1.tpl) article as well as Leo's gymnastics warmup (http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/11/the-russians-gymnastics-warm-up-1.tpl) to good effect at our place.

Jeff Yan
02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
At one of the CrossFit 101 talks, I asked Coach about who and how the main site WOD is chosen and the programming behind it. I don't think I phrased the question clearly enough because he responded with something like what you'd get from a level 1 lecture or from the CFJ. (Basically, if I understand correctly, pseudo-random rotation of movements and a pseudo-random rotation of rep/set structuring.)

My intention wasn't to inquire about CF's approach to programming in general, but about the actual specifics concerning the selection of the main site WOD and any underlying broader direction. (By "direction", I would mean something more than all ten of the fitness domains trained simultaneously without particular focus.) What I was hoping to hear was something like:
Castro, Nicole, a few other top level HQ trainers/SMEs conference together several days/weeks ahead of time where they discuss and decide as a committee the overall course for programming. New WODs are tested and observed for effectiveness by some of these trainers as well as a group of CFers of various skills, backgrounds and CF experience levels.

I thought I read somewhere a while back that all of the WODs that appear on the main site had been thoroughly tested by trainers (presumably at Santa Cruz?) before being released to the general public. I'd love to have had that fly-on-the-wall perspective to see these interesting new WODs being done for the very first time by their creators.

Jay Ashman
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I look at the direction of the programming and I really wonder if they aren't just sitting around saying, "how can we make them really suffer this month?"

Dominic Sirianni
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
My impression is that they are trying to diversify the programming somewhat. If you look at the really old archives there were some bizarre workouts that no one could do. The thing that pops into my head from back then is the Inman Mile. I'm not sure if I am spelling that correctly.

Jay Ashman
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
which is why they need to drop that "elite athlete" shit and just use "elite fitness" for the duration. Athletes don't train like this, they train with a goal in mind, random workouts aren't a goal, that is just general GPP.

I think if they would actually just admit that some of the hate directed their way would cease... some... of course you still have the idiocy of a lot of the workouts to deal with though.

Patrick Haskell
02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I look at the direction of the programming and I really wonder if they aren't just sitting around saying, "how can we make them really suffer this month?"

I look at the direction of mainpage programmin as part of a giant infomercial. "Look how tough we are. If this ain't elite, I don't know what is."

And random programming doesn't even provide GPP. The edict used to be "Constantly varied, if not random." Now the buzzword just seems to be "random." GPP is a poorly-defined goal, but it can be parsed well enough for an individual's needs to provide the basis for an intelligent program. I don't see where mainpage comes close to that these days.

Dominic Sirianni
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000099.html

Pretty cool challenge, but really not many people can even do 1/4 of that.

Brian DeGennaro
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I think they're just trying to mind-fuck everyone following the main-site...

Jay Ashman
02-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Brian, I have the mainpage set as my homepage when I open my blackberry browser, its a guilty pleasure to see the workouts lately. I can't help but look, its akin to a train wreck.

A buddy of mine out west just got Rhabdo from the recent 225# DL 150 pullup workout, and he commented to me "yea I did that one anyway, even though you said it was stupid"....

Keep in mind this is a very well-trained man, weighs 145 pounds (short), pulls 475#, squats 400# and can do 30 muscle ups in about 4 minutes or less... he isn't a novice at all.

Steve Shafley
02-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I thought I read somewhere a while back that all of the WODs that appear on the main site had been thoroughly tested by trainers (presumably at Santa Cruz?) before being released to the general public. I'd love to have had that fly-on-the-wall perspective to see these interesting new WODs being done for the very first time by their creators.

Uh no. In fact, long ago you'd actually have Glassman mentioning that something was "experimental" sometimes.

If N=~5 and F=1 is experimental.

Ganine Vanalst
02-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I look at the direction of mainpage programmin as part of a giant infomercial. "Look how tough we are. If this ain't elite, I don't know what is."

I think this is a big part of it.

I think they realize they must continue to differentiate themselves somehow and have decided to go full tilt on the tough guy/gal, our warm up is your workout, look Ma...bloody hands...ain't I cool, vomiting means I'm elite, starvation on the zone and rhabdo is fun, type sales messages.

The gaymes really should just be a pissing contest for time at this point (with tweezers provided of course).

Kevin Perry
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
So has the RRG failed yet?

Steve Shafley
02-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I haven't heard anything about the RRG in a long time. I suspect that there is just not enough momentum and money to get it off the ground. Or that the funds were used for something else.

John Frazer
02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I started CF 6 years ago this week. Back then there used to be gymnastics WODs that were either untimed ("practice handstands for 20 minutes") or that incorporated timed holds in a reasonable way (e.g. a circuit of X number of deadlifts and 60-second L-sits, broken as needed).

A couple years ago they went through a phase where the WODs were extremely repetitive. All benchmarks, all the time. When I noted this on the message board (with a tally that showed the decline in "unique" workouts, year over year for four years) people argued with me, claiming that it wasn't true or didn't matter. But there did seem to be an uptick in variety afterward. Maybe that's gone a little too far now.

Kevin Perry
02-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I haven't heard anything about the RRG in a long time. I suspect that there is just not enough momentum and money to get it off the ground. Or that the funds were used for something else.

Couch's gin fund

Patrick Donnelly
02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
The gaymes really should just be a pissing contest for time at this point (with tweezers provided of course).
But then the cups would get mixed up or lost, assuming the "athletes" ever even pissed in the first place.

I've got too much free time today (snowed in, and even I don't want to go shoveling in this weather).

Blair Lowe
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
http://www.crossfitrrg.com/

Look for updates on the CF affiliate page and sometimes mainsite.

Dominic Sirianni
02-06-2010, 06:59 PM
I feel like I read somewhere that they have applications pending in all 50 states.

Steven Low
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
"Garrett"

75 Squats
25 Ring handstand push-ups
25 L-pull-ups

Holy crap even for a hero workout that's a little overboard...

Derek Weaver
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
yeah. I'm sure in the injury forum there will be some interesting ones. First workout I thought could kill someone from anything other than heart failure. Hope no necks were broken on this one.

Allen Yeh
02-22-2010, 04:43 AM
yeah. I'm sure in the injury forum there will be some interesting ones. First workout I thought could kill someone from anything other than heart failure. Hope no necks were broken on this one.

Ahem inverted burpees anyone?

Derek Weaver
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh yeah. Inverted burpees. Wow.

It seriously seems as if whoever is doing the programming has gotten to a point that even he/she can't believe people are trying to do this stuff.

Brian DeGennaro
02-22-2010, 08:23 AM
It just looks much more amateurish programming than usual. I'm waiting for the 30 225# CJ for time now.

Jay Ashman
02-22-2010, 08:24 AM
no doubt there are people that can do ring HSPU, but that doesn't mean they need to be in a workout like this... the constantly varied approach to fitness is getting out of control on mainsite.

Garrett Smith
02-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Being that I share the name of this WaD, I'd really like to see video of a non-gymnast actually complete it as Rx'd, full-depth ring HSPU and all.

Until I see video of someone (who isn't a recent ex-gymnast) doing this with full ROM every rep, I call BS.

What a joke.

Brian DeGennaro
02-22-2010, 09:01 AM
So far I'm counting 7 Rx'd attempts, between 1 hour and 16 minutes. The ones above 30 minutes I can "believe" a CFer could possibly do, but 16 minutes? Not for something like this.

Steven, you mind giving us an idea what a gymnast can do with this? Even 1 round would be adequate.

Gant Grimes
02-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Infidel!

If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks.

Blair Lowe
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
If you put your legs on the outside of the rings straps, it effectively makes the straps seem shorter. Keep in mind, most CF'ers would on short straps anyways vs ceiling hung or FIG length.

Also, are they turning the rings out? World of difference.

I told Steve of that WOD and read through the comments and you'll see noted that some of the Ring HSPU were the head going to the bottom of the ring, effectively like a HeSPU or half-ROM.

Considering Steve, Danny, and Jim (of Beastskills) all accomplished or got close to 15 in one set, it's probably very possible. Anthony Bainbridge was probably around 7-10.

Garrett Smith
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Considering how much of a wrench the Games' "deep" HeSPUs (2-3" past the floor?) threw into the BEST CFers game, I would still need to see video.

Note that several of the guys who said they did it "as Rx'd" were 190-195#. Even less likely then, IMO.

Jay Ashman
02-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I would kill myself even trying that one... I would be in ER with my head lodged in my neck like Ram-man from the old He-man cartoons

Derek Weaver
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Infidel!

Gant, maybe this is Couch's way of thinning the ranks. He'd probably de-affiliate everyone who said they were afraid to do this one if it weren't for the possible loss of the upcoming Broken Neck Rehab Cert that's certainly in the planning stages.

Brian DeGennaro
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
That's the problem with this WOD, no one is going to do 75 full range HSPU on the rings. I know what a dozen HSPU on rings feel like, they are not something I'd ever want to do in a WOD unless I had a perfectly solid freestanding one on rings.

Wayne Riddle
02-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm only a newbie to CF, but trying to learn more by doing lots of reading. Even without much research I would look at that WOD and go "What the hell are they thinking?" Then again I do that with a few of the WOD's they post, or the series of WOD's that go on for 3 days and I'm thinking they really want someone to blow out their shoulders.

Steven Low
02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
So far I'm counting 7 Rx'd attempts, between 1 hour and 16 minutes. The ones above 30 minutes I can "believe" a CFer could possibly do, but 16 minutes? Not for something like this.

Steven, you mind giving us an idea what a gymnast can do with this? Even 1 round would be adequate.
1 round may take me about 3-4 minutes for the full depth HSPUs for the first time around.

But that would go up to 10+ for each subsequent rounds.

This is primarily a bodyweight workout. Elite gymnasts should be able to do it within 30 minutes, but no one else has close to that kind of bodyweight strength and endurance.

Derek Weaver
02-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm only a newbie to CF, but trying to learn more by doing lots of reading. Even without much research I would look at that WOD and go "What the hell are they thinking?" Then again I do that with a few of the WOD's they post, or the series of WOD's that go on for 3 days and I'm thinking they really want someone to blow out their shoulders.

Blown shoulders is sinister enough. Busted necks is called upping the ante.

Mike ODonnell
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
As I get older....and know personally how injuries can sideline me for a long period of time (and still bother me down the road)....I just keep my workout motto to one simple thing:

"Don't do stupid sh*t"

That motto keeps me from ever wanting to look at the CF.com WODs. Seems nowadays more like entertainment disguised as workouts for people with fitness ADD.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
That motto keeps me from ever wanting to look at the CF.com WODs. Seems nowadays more like entertainment disguised as workouts for people with fitness ADD.

I think it's partly advertising and always has been. People get bounced to the site, they look at what the prescription is, and they say, "Whoa, 25 ring handstand pushups? That's bad-ass, I want to do that. If I could do that, I would be awesome." Unstated presumption: if they do @Fit, they'll eventually be able to do that. And they join the "cult". They might join an affiliate and end up with some sensible (or not) programming, they might subscribe to the journal. But the point is that they're selling you something with the workouts they post. They may not think of it that way all the time, but they are selling. Everything they give you for free is given to you so you will give them money for something that's not free. It's called Business.

Jay Cohen
02-24-2010, 04:59 AM
CF WODS = eliteness x 2

travis earp
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Fuel for the fire, imo.

Saturday 100227

For time:
25 Squats
25 Push-ups
25 Pull-ups
25 Sit-ups
50 Squats
50 Push-ups
50 Pull-ups
50 Sit-ups
75 Squats
75 Push-ups
75 Pull-ups
75 Sit-ups

Post time to comments

Garrett Smith
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Watch for the much-ballyhooed bloody ripped calluses after that one!

Garrett Smith
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Another good one...
25 Muscle-ups
100 Squats
35 GHD situps
Just in case you ever have 75 walls to jump over in your way...

Jay Ashman
03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Another good one...

I commented on this on my facebook page last night... I was amazed at this workout... utter insanity

Patrick Donnelly
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Another good one...

Hey! CrossFit doesn't teach you just how to jump over walls.

You also learn how to throw balls at them and how do crappy, partial-ROM handstand push-ups against them.

Garrett Smith
03-10-2010, 04:38 PM
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitSantaCruz_ColdHardMaryWOD.wmv
Oy vey. Two CF all-stars doing the newest silly workout.

I'm actually of the opinion that the "kipping" HSPU is a worse contribution than the kipping pull-up. Note how they often adjust their grip at the bottom, which means the main thing holding up the load of their body is their neck...all the while their head is resting on a rounded, squishy, "unstable" surface.

Maybe blown cervical discs will become the new, trendy "ripped calluses" marker of coolness in the community. "Check out my MRI, guys! Think it'll get on mainpage???"

Dave Leys definitely needs some stretchy time with his hammies, they are inhibiting his work capacity and thus his fitness....making him unhealthy. :)

Allen Yeh
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, I'm taking the time to say it.....

What exactly is the point of this thread? I mean while I'm not some CF proponent I also don't want to see this board dragged down into some negative spiral of "lets make fun of this or that" all the time.

Maybe you disagree with what's going on over there or maybe you are butt hurt over some slight that was caused to you and your own. There is another board where all they do is inanely discuss the newest CF drama and workouts. Let's not turn this into the censored less controversial version of that forum.

Gary John
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks Allen. If you can't say something nice about x-fit, don't say anything at all.

Allen Yeh
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Nah, say the not nice thing and then move on. I just don't want this thread to be rehashed every 3rd day into ANOTHER stupidly programmed workout. It's not a surprise anymore on how over the top or stupidly things are being programmed.

CF has had a lot of stupidity from the management to the programming to the injuries, no argument there. However if it wasn't for them I would never have gotten the chance to meet your brother and have him show just how absolutely weak I really am. I'd rather this board not become a focus of negativity, know what I mean?

Hey if the overwhelming majority of you say to let the thread keep rolling on, then I'll step aside my objection and get on my merry way.

Derek Weaver
03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I have to say I agree Allen. I'd prefer the thread stay open, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if we put this one to rest.

Please don't close the Chalk Board thread though... that one's fun.

On a side note, does anyone here still get the CF Journal? If they do, how are these videos? (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJournal_RebuildingKhalipa2Pre.wmv) I've got some issues I've been working on correcting for ~6 months, but am just now making progress.

I'd almost be willing to shill out for the rest of the blather if these vids are informative and helpful.

Robert Callahan
03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
On a side note, does anyone here still get the CF Journal? If they do, how are these videos? (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitJournal_RebuildingKhalipa2Pre.wmv) I've got some issues I've been working on correcting for ~6 months, but am just now making progress.

Of the two they have released so far they have been pretty informative. I like Kelly Starret's style of coaching a lot and find his stuff is usually pretty good.

My only real complaint so far is that they have not covered much in the first two. They have only been ~6 min, and a lot of it has just been diagnostic stuff so far, not so much fixing the problems. It will be interesting to see how the episodes evolve though.

Donald Lee
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
One day my CrossFit Journal account stopped working. I was still able to log-in, but it wouldn't let me read or view anything. I'm convinced Tony Budding is responsible, which is real mature considering my subscription was nowhere near up.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 02:02 AM
One day my CrossFit Journal account stopped working. I was still able to log-in, but it wouldn't let me read or view anything. I'm convinced Tony Budding is responsible, which is real mature considering my subscription was nowhere near up.

Donald that would seem pretty childish. I've never seen you being overtly critical and I would have thought your postings on the CF boards would be considered helpful.

There are a few people who dance between here and there who I imagine will be under the eyes of Big Brother. Guys, I know you can sound off and take the piss here but your teachers can still hear you.

Blair Lowe
03-11-2010, 02:08 AM
I value the CFJ mainly for the score of footage from Rip, Burg, K-Star, besides the Dave Tate stuff and the Louie Simmons stuff and the Bill Starr stuff and perhaps some stuff here and there.

Garrett, that's basically what happened to me during that one CF HS WOD. Coming down a lil fast and it tweaked something in my shoulder. I haven't felt it in awhile so it's been A-ok for a week or more, I think.

Our girls frequently do kipping HeSPU for S&C, but typically it's one rep at a time done free standing. Most have to get back into HeS to start the next versus back to wall to allow them to cycle. Most don't seem to control the HeSPU kipped back to HeS but whatever, really.

Hmm, even when they are adjusting their grip on the parallettes, they still have a lot of weight on their hands on the parallettes. Looks like they are on an ab-mat. Which is better than just carpeted floor or worse yet, floor lined only with horse stall mats.

Why? Ever notice your neck and head isn't as sore from HeS on a sprung floor or just pillow over floor compared to just the carpeted floor at home? BB HeS can make your head and neck quite sore as well.

Grr, this pisses me off. A few years back and I wouldn't have needed to kip those parallette HSPU at all.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 04:17 AM

Then again, you might have pissed on your chips with the above.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Thanks Allen. If you can't say something nice about x-fit, don't say anything at all.

Gary, you're such a shrinking violet.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Ok, I'm taking the time to say it.....

What exactly is the point of this thread? I mean while I'm not some CF proponent I also don't want to see this board dragged down into some negative spiral of "lets make fun of this or that" all the time.

Maybe you disagree with what's going on over there or maybe you are butt hurt over some slight that was caused to you and your own. There is another board where all they do is inanely discuss the newest CF drama and workouts. Let's not turn this into the censored less controversial version of that forum.

Allen, maybe this thread should be renamed:

Seen at the CrossFit mainsite today...

I'm sure that would make many of our newer friends feel right at home.

Scott Dyck
03-11-2010, 04:49 AM
The same thing happened with my CFJ account, months before the subscription was up. But that was way before I made the Xenu joke that got me moderated and made Lynn start changing the text of my posts to make fun of me instead of them. So who knows. I like your Pudding theory though.

Allen Yeh
03-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Let's not all put on our tin foil hats......

Scott Dyck
03-11-2010, 05:24 AM
It's a joke, Allen. C+F is an acronym for more than one thing. I don't think they have the wherewithal to pull off anything conspiratorial.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 05:31 AM
The milk in my fridge was sour this morning.

Since the CF boards have been censoring links to Starting Strength I'm wondering if Tony Budding is behind this?

Scott Dyck
03-11-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Pudding's milk-souring powers aren't international, so he must have an agent in place. It's worse than we thought.

Brandon Oto
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Actually my Journal subscription just kicked off too, but I'm pretty sure it's probably been a year.

James Evans
03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Actually my Journal subscription just kicked off too, but I'm pretty sure it's probably been a year.

Brandon, your milk would definitely have turned sour by now!

Patrick Donnelly
03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I will say that set-ups for my lame attempts at being witty are far easier to come by on these boards than they are on IGx.

Also, what's with the whole "that forum" thing? Why not just say IGx? Just because it's a banned word on the CrossFit boards, that doesn't mean you can't mention it here. "StartingStrength.com" and "RobbWolf.com" are also banned words on the CF boards, I'm told.

Jonathan Yoon
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I will say that set-ups for my lame attempts at being witty are far easier to come by on these boards than they are on IGx.

Also, what's with the whole "that forum" thing? Why not just say IGx? Just because it's a banned word on the CrossFit boards, that doesn't mean you can't mention it here. "StartingStrength.com" and "RobbWolf.com" are also banned words on the CF boards, I'm told.

Yep, SS and RW are bad words. I've tested those by sending a PM to myself on the CF boards. Although I'm surprised that PMenu and Gym Jones don't come out as asterisks. Pretty sure that Melissa Urban's sites are probably going to go on the chopping block as well.

Brian Stone
03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Pretty sure that Melissa Urban's sites are probably going to go on the chopping block as well.

She fell from grace over there too?

Derek Weaver
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
She fell from grace over there too?

Here's the story http://whole9life.com/2010/03/parting-ways-with-crossfit/

James Evans
03-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Yep, SS and RW are bad words. I've tested those by sending a PM to myself on the CF boards. Although I'm surprised that PMenu and Gym Jones don't come out as asterisks. Pretty sure that Melissa Urban's sites are probably going to go on the chopping block as well.

Wow, you sound like a crazy kind of guy.

Jonathan Yoon
03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Wow, you sound like a crazy kind of guy.

You should see me when I switch pocket protectors. :p

James Evans
03-12-2010, 06:47 AM
You should see me when I switch pocket protectors. :p

Just as long you're not sewing a suit out of human skin between logins to the internetz...

Jonathan Yoon
03-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Just as long you're not sewing a suit out of human skin between logins to the internetz...

It rubs hand chalk on the skin before it gets the barbell again...

Chris Forbis
03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
It rubs hand chalk on the skin before it gets the barbell again...

Awesome.

Walter Ezell
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
^ what he said.