PDA

View Full Version : A 'simple' circuit ala Owen Anderson circa 1998

Rick Deckart
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
The following is a simple circuit from Owen Anderson, designed by Walt Reynolds I believe. It's from his nice little book LACTATE LIFT-OFF.
I did these usually two times a week for 4--6 weeks usually in the spring to get things rolling. When I did these I increased length of runs every second and reps every week while doing a pendulum wave of two rounds, three rounds, four rounds, back to two rounds etc. ending with 800m runs at 5k pace.

There are several derivates of this circuit around, some even utilising wobble boards but believe me, even this little easy circuit may be quite humbling if you really hit 5 k pace on all runs... and BTW no rest between excercises allowed and perfect form is a must...

(1) Run 400 m at your 5k pace or at an intensity of 9--9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being easy and 10 being maximal intensity.
(2) 4 chin-ups
(3) 30 sit-ups (free Janda situps if you can, use an abmat which makes it easier)
(4) 12 push-ups
(5) 15 burpees
(6) 30 fast BW squats
(7) Run 400 m at your 5k pace
(8) 10 thrusters with 20kg
(9) 8 feet elevated push-ups
(10) 30 hyper extensions
(11) 15 dips
(12) 15 lunges with each leg
(13) Run 400 m at your 5k pace
(14) repeat 2--13 one more time

Regards,

Peter

Steve Shafley
02-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Did he really use the "thruster" term?

Rick Deckart
02-10-2007, 02:15 PM
No, I used the term, he called them "squat and dumbell presses", but it's a 'thruster', but whatever, the template does sound familiar, doesn't it...

Regards,

Peter

Steve Shafley
02-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Thesis ------> Synthesis <------ Antithesis

Allen Yeh
02-11-2007, 07:09 AM
No, I used the term, he called them "squat and dumbell presses", but it's a 'thruster', but whatever, the template does sound familiar, doesn't it...

Regards,

Peter

It's like some "programs" beginners program....hmmmmm

Rick Deckart
02-11-2007, 08:00 AM
It's like some "programs" beginners program....hmmmmm

Hi Allen,

not sure if I understand your point.

Just to clarify, I posted the above circuit because a) I really like it and b) it was the first thing which came to my mind when I 'discovered' crossfit last summer. Differences to crossfitesque circuits are:

the purpose of the circuit is to lift your lactate threshold and to give you some basic preparation for a month or two focusing on strength work, all in the context of long distance running of course. For that it works quite good in my experience.
time doesn't play any role, except you should target for your 5k race pace.
systematic progression over a certain time-span, say 6 weeks.

BTW Owen Anderson is a regular contributer to

http://www.pponline.co.uk/

His webpage is

http://www.runningresearchnews.com/

He has lots of good info if your are into running.

Regards,

Peter

BTW I just found the template for a 5 week cycle I did with this circuit in spring of 1999, not as extreme as the progression described in the first post but still the runs (Laufen) were in 5k pace. Pretty sure I could not do workout 8 today...

Allen Yeh
02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Allen,

not sure if I understand your point.

Just to clarify, I posted the above circuit because a) I really like it and b) it was the first thing which came to my mind when I 'discovered' crossfit last summer. Differences to crossfitesque circuits are:

the purpose of the circuit is to lift your lactate threshold and to give you some basic preparation for a month or two focusing on strength work, all in the context of long distance running of course. For that it works quite good in my experience.
time doesn't play any role, except you should target for your 5k race pace.
systematic progression over a certain time-span, say 6 weeks.

BTW Owen Anderson is a regular contributer to

http://www.pponline.co.uk/

His webpage is

http://www.runningresearchnews.com/

He has lots of good info if your are into running.

Regards,

Peter

BTW I just found the template for a 5 week cycle I did with this circuit in spring of 1999, not as extreme as the progression described in the first post but still the runs (Laufen) were in 5k pace. Pretty sure I could not do workout 8 today...

No point Peter, I was just observing it was very similiar to the Crossfit Beginners routine.

Robb Wolf
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I've only looked at this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Physical-Conditioning-Encyclopedia-Jesse/dp/0870950436

Once but it recommends a combination of gymnastics drills, OL's, sprints...even mixing all these modalities. Publish date? 1974. I may have to nut up and pay the $189 for that little gem.

Rick Deckart
02-12-2007, 01:40 AM
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=122047784

A 'little' cheaper and probably also a worthwhile read, the third edition of the book of the original (afaik) inventors of circuit training...

Robb Wolf
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Peter!

Robert McBee
02-12-2007, 03:12 PM
OL's, sprints, circuit/interval work and more also in "Functional Training for Sports" by Mike Boyle.

Yes, the one with a bosu on the cover. I am indeed aware of this.

R. Alan Hester
02-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I've only looked at this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Physical-Conditioning-Encyclopedia-Jesse/dp/0870950436

Once but it recommends a combination of gymnastics drills, OL's, sprints...even mixing all these modalities. Publish date? 1974. I may have to nut up and pay the $189 for that little gem.

I just got the abovementioned book, Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia, today through inter-library loan. Either Jesse is related to Nostradamus, or nothing in fitness is new. Nonetheless, I will attempt to post a comprehensive review after I plow through all 300+ pages. At first glance, I am impressed with the amount of information regarding mixed-modality programming that includes: the use of sandbags and dumbbells, and intervals, rings, bars, barbells, medballs, etc.

Alan

Robb Wolf
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
right on Alan! Looking forward to that!

Ron Nelson
02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm going to run my CC runners through this circuit tomorrow. They're all 12-14 y-o. They should do fine.

You guys are great coaches and I don't rip anyone off.

Unless they put it on the internet.

Mike ODonnell
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
That workout is brutal....sweet....of course I save Fridays for my personal fav:
ODfit WOD
Run to Bar 800meter
10 barstool squats
15 glass curls
Repeat 2 and 3 for oh....10 circuits
Run home from bar 3100 meters (taking into account the non-direct straight line running on the way back)

Steve Shafley
02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Hm. Copy of this right up the road from me in the SVSU library.

Ron Nelson
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
OK, did the circuit with the kids yesterday. Had to improvise on a couple of things, like thrusters, but everything went well.
Today we had our first meet. My kids all improved on their times (expected, the adreniline rush of a meet will boost times), but the real shock was my 7th grade boy taking first place and out distancing the next runner by 30 yards.

Now, I can't say the workout did that, but this is the type of programming we've been doing for the past two weeks to prepare. We run race distance once a week, do long distance once, and the rest of the time we train in circuits and use sprints. Seems to work well for now.

Rick Deckart
02-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Ron,

glad to hear it worked out. You should try a litte progression over 6 weeks (two sessions/week),

week 1: two rounds, 400m runs
week 2: three rounds, 400m runs
week 3: two rounds, 600m runs
week 4: three rounds, 600m runs
week 5: two rounds, 800m runs
week 6: three rounds, 800m runs

moderately increase the reps every second week and this will work like a charm. BTW I think Owen Anderson would be glad to hear it helped you kids, although I am pretty sure it was more the work they did before.

Regards,

Peter

Ron Nelson
02-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately, our season is only about six weeks long with three meets and a final crammed in. I'd love to put the kids through a progression like that.
I will recommend it to the kids going on to run middle distance in track, though.

Thanks.