PDA

View Full Version : Reading recommendations about muscular/CNS adaptations

Shane Skowron
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I've done a Google search on this but to be honest I don't really know where to start, and the results are a bit overwhelming.

I want to see if there is any sort of good literature available about how the body makes adaptations to certain training demands. I am really only interested in adaptations to limit strength, local muscular endurance, and cardiovascular endurance. I want to know more specifically what exactly goes on in the various systems of the body during those adaptations and what the body needs to make the adaptations happen.

I've gotten to the point where I can literally feel my body making adaptations when I get up in the morning. It's pretty fascinating and I want to know how it works.

I want to educate myself on this topic to enhance my programming. My goals span those three categories and I want to train hard for those goals without having them conflict with each other.

Books, articles, abstracts-- I'll read anything that has some science behind it.

Mike ODonnell
01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Not really sure what you are looking for....but I always find the theory of "grease the grove" and Pavels Power to the People interesting training practices.

Shane Skowron
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Not really sure what you are looking for....but I always find the theory of "grease the grove" and Pavels Power to the People interesting training practices.

Not really looking for training practices or techniques, since I know what works. I've read the book. I'm more interested in the hows and whys, from a physiological/biological perspective.

Steven Low
01-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's some basics on CNS/neural factors:
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/01/neural.cfm

You can look up terms from there.

The adaptations during muscle/cardio endurance are more biased towards type I, mitochondria, energy production stuff..

Donald Lee
01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I've done a Google search on this but to be honest I don't really know where to start, and the results are a bit overwhelming.

I want to see if there is any sort of good literature available about how the body makes adaptations to certain training demands. I am really only interested in adaptations to limit strength, local muscular endurance, and cardiovascular endurance. I want to know more specifically what exactly goes on in the various systems of the body during those adaptations and what the body needs to make the adaptations happen.

I've gotten to the point where I can literally feel my body making adaptations when I get up in the morning. It's pretty fascinating and I want to know how it works.

I want to educate myself on this topic to enhance my programming. My goals span those three categories and I want to train hard for those goals without having them conflict with each other.

Books, articles, abstracts-- I'll read anything that has some science behind it.

What's your science background like?

Shane Skowron
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Here's some basics on CNS/neural factors:
http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/01/neural.cfm

You can look up terms from there.

The adaptations during muscle/cardio endurance are more biased towards type I, mitochondria, energy production stuff..

Thanks Steve, this is a good resource.

What's your science background like?

Undergrad computer science with some advanced math courses. Taken physics, biology, bioinformatics, etc. Biology/physiology stuff comes pretty easily, at least when it's not for a grade. :)

Donald Lee
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
This is THE book on adaptations happening in your body when you train:

http://www.amazon.com/Adaptation-Sports-Training-Atko-Viru/dp/0849301718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264657290&sr=8-1

This is a good book to read about the way our body adapts to stress in general:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Zebras-Dont-Ulcers-Third/dp/0805073698/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264657482&sr=1-1

This book has a lot about everything, but very little on the cardiovascular system:

http://www.ultimateathleteconcepts.com/store/supertraining.html

If you want to learn more about the cardiovascular system, you could read any of the top 3 Exercise Physiology textbooks (McArdle & Katch, Brooks & Fahey, Wilmore & Costill). Brooks & Fahey is supposed to be the best and most advanced of the three, as it includes a lot of biochemistry.

Besides Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, those are all advanced level books. I suggest you start by reading "The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster." The authors are the guys who run the Science of Sport blog, and it is fairly easy reading. I also think you'd do well by reading Joel Jamieson's "Ultimate MMA Conditioning" book. It does a good job of dumbing down basic physiology, and it gives a good application of the block training model.

(And, I have not read most of these books, but I own many of them. I do not have a science background yet, so I'm holding off on reading some of these for if/when I have the chance in the future. I have a bad habit of buying books I know I will not read right away. I have about 100 books saved in my Amazon Shopping Cart...:confused: )

Steven Low
01-28-2010, 03:27 AM
lol Donald..

I'm the opposite with the science background, and just not buying books at all. :\

Shane Skowron
01-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Donald, those seem to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Not sure when I'm going to have time to read them...but they're on the list now.