PDA

View Full Version : Too much?

Joe Flynn
02-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey all,

I have been deep in the world of some strength/skill work and heavy met-con for about the past year and a half...recently,I guess about 6 months ago,I gradually turned towards more of a strength and skill routine with a little met con added in here and there.

I now do 3-parts to every workout ( after warm ups and stretching) and I'm wondering if it's too much.

Part one is strength work...usually squatting and pressing in a 3x5 manner with 5 lbs. gains twice a week.

Part two is skill and strength...usually catalyst's site wod...snatching/clean and jerk.

Part three is met con...something that generally never lasts more than 7 minutes..could be anything,i.e; kb work,sledghammer work,tire flips and jumps or sprints.

I feel stronger now than I ever have before...and I treat my rest days like a holiday,taking care of me with stretching/foam rolling/hot soaks.

Is this too much? I do make gains pretty regularly but I just don't know if I'm actually hindering progress with this much of a daily load.

Any helpful info or advice would be great...and thanks again.

Emily Mattes
02-06-2010, 07:13 AM
If you make progress, feel good, aren't having any health issues (insomnia, weird sickness, injuries, etc), then keep on keeping on. What is "too much" depends from person to person and ultimately you have to figure that out for yourself.

Brian Stone
02-06-2010, 09:53 AM
If you make progress, feel good, aren't having any health issues (insomnia, weird sickness, injuries, etc), then keep on keeping on. What is "too much" depends from person to person and ultimately you have to figure that out for yourself.

This.

There is quite a divergence in the strength community on philosophy of overtraining, backoff, etc. If it's working for you, I'd say keep at it.