PDA

View Full Version : David Glass' Training Journal

David Glass
02-12-2010, 05:41 AM
I've been contemplating moving my journal here for a while. It's been an emotional process since I've been logging my progress on American Parkour for the last 2 years or so, but lately, it seems most people there have limited access to equipment and, in general, are in different stages of their training, have different objectives.

About me:
A/S/W/H: 38/M/198/5'11''... Hope I got that right. My objectives have been

- Achieve a 300 lb squat. I have reached a plateu of 5x5x225# and have been there for the past 3 months

- Achieve a 350lb Deadlift. I have seen some gains here, but they too have come slowly. Maybe about 20 lbs in my 5x5 sets going up from 255# to 275#, although I think I might be able to handle 285#

- Lose weight: Here too I've been stagnant at 90Kg (198 lbs) for months now. I have been hoping to get down to 85 kg, but due to my plateu, currently, that seems unrealistic. I should point out that when my training began 2 yrs ago, I weighed 240 lbs. For the first year and a half, I lost an average of 2 lbs per month, I'd say (rough estimate)

Daily Diet
During weekdays, my diet is very strict, and will look like this with little to no variation

Breakfast:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 slice of cheese
- 10 slices of turkey

9:00 AM snack:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of equal proportions of Macademia nuts and Almonds
- 7 berries (black, boison, rasberries, or on occasions, strawberries or some small peaches)

Lunch:
- Some form of meat, most of the time consisting of two chicken or turkey breasts, steak or two fish filets together with a cup and a half to two cups of mixed veggies

3:00 PM snack:
- Same as 9:00 AM snack

Dinner:
- Salad with raw baby spinach, a bit of gorgonzola cheese, about a breast to breast and a half of chicken, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a little vinagre

Post Workout: 1 scoop of whey protein in water

On weekends, it's pretty much up for grabs. I will deviate largely from my diet, and, although I try to keep it under control, there will be things like sharing a desert with the wife, some carbs here and there (we lunch at restaurants), etc

Training
For the most part, I've been doing CrossFit, although lately I've been training MEBB focussing on strength. I'll train 4-6 times a week, 3 days on, one off (for the most part), training one day SS type training, one day CrossFit.

My CrossFit records are as follows:
- Fran: 6:47, achieved about 6 months ago. Haven't attempted since
- Helen: 12:48
- Cindy: 16 rounds, also achieved 6 months ago
- Elizabeth: 12:x, but with standard dips (got my rings a couple of weeks ago)

Max Strength:
- Deadlift: 310 lbs
- Squat: 265# x 3. I am terrified of going heavier
- Bench: 245# x 5
- Press: 155# x 2

My original training journal can be found here:
http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,8753.0/

I'm hoping to get as much insight as possible on how to achieve my goals. Obviously, as far as strength training and dieting, the fact that I'm stagnant means I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-David

David Glass
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Did some bench work today as part of my strength training.

Warm-up
I don't know what these are called, but, jumping push-ups? Where both arms and legs leave the floor... I did 3 sets of 5

Then
1 x 10 @ 155#
1 x 5 @ 185#

Then
5 x 5 @ 235#

Then
7, 8, 8, 6, 6 Inclined bench @ 135#

Both bench and inclined were done with a GymBoss timing out every 2:00. Going to move up to 245# since this is the second week I completed all 5 sets at 235# :cool:

David Glass
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I've been having stomach problems for the past couple of days, which I attribute to drinking too much coffee and eating all that valentines day stuff (ice-cream, chocolates, etc)

I'm trying to meet deadlines at work, so I've had to put in some overtime. This has caused me to drift a bit from my diet, which may even be a good thing, but has also interfered with my workout schedule.

After a 2 day rest, having stomach problems and sleeping poorly, today I did

Warm-up
- 5 minutes on rower
- 3 rounds of 54 lb KB goblet squats and push-ups, then...

Heavy Fran
21-15-9 reps of
-115# Thrusters
-Deadhang Pull-ups

My PR this WOD was under 14:00 a month or so ago, but today I was in the 17:00 range. I was feeling weak all over.

Then I decided to do 5 Km on the rower. I barely did one mile and had to run to the bathroom... alas, there are good days and bad days

David Glass
02-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Warm-up
5 minutes on tower: 0.8 miles
Then...

Deadlift
1 x 10 @ 115#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 5 @ 245#

295#: 5, 5, 5, 3, 1

Then Weighted Ring Dips with 40 lb vest
5, 5, 6, 7, 8

Starting to see gains in strength in every area except the back squat. I'm starting to think I am just terrified of it. I will continue working the squat at less than my 5 rep max until I overcome this.

Chris Salvato
02-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Those DLs are in very high volume. Why so much?

David Glass
02-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Those DLs are in very high volume. Why so much?

Thanks, Chris, you're the second person to point this out to me

I was looking for a 5x5 on DeadLifts, Press, Squat and Bench Press.

I gather 5x5 is too much because of how hard it is on the lower back?

Also, given all the cleaning I'm doing, I think maybe I can go for a 3x5 on the DeadLift instead, once every 10 days or so?

I've actually done two workouts since my last visit:

Workout 1
- My buddies at work have decided they want to give CrossFit a shot, so I took them to the park for a second wod that consisted of the following

- Run 400m
- 30 air squats
- Run 400m
- 15 burpees
Repeat (2)
Those that finished did so in about 14:00 and change

Yesterday I did more of a SealFit WOD, which consisted of the following:

- Row 1 mile (6:50)
- 3 rounds for time of:
10 goblet squats, 10 push-ups, 5 deadhang pullups (3:50)
- Elizabeth, or 21-15-9 reps of Squat Clean, Ring dips (13:50)
- Run 2.25 miles (25:10)
- Max sit-ups in 2:00 (48)

It was my first Elizabeth Rx'd (with ring dips instead of standard), and I still broke under 14:00. My legs felt like a ton of bricks when going into the run after Elizabeth, but still I managed to keep close to a 10:00/mi rate

David Glass
02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
After saturday's lengthy SealFit workout, we had a walk on sunday

The walk was 3 miles to raise awareness of autism. I did it carrying all sorts of baby crap and water bottles to make it more interesting.

Then about another half mile to and from the car.

Last night I did Back Squats

Warm-up: 3 sets of Goblet squats with 54 lb Kettlebell

then

1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

Then @ 220#
5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Then Chin-Ups
10, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4

David Glass
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Well, I have a cold. What better time to give the CrossFit training a bit of a rest?

I think I'll be focussing on strength training and resting for the next couple of weeks, focussing mainly on my back squat. Any other gains in deadlift, press or benchpress will be considered the icing on the cake.

Today I did Bench Press

Warm-up
Bar x 20, 135 x 5, 185 x 3

245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 2

Inclined Press with 135#
10, 8, 6, 5, 5

While doing inclined, I worked on grip strength by holding a 45# bumper (about 2.5'' thick), from the top part with both hands. I must have averaged about 15 seconds per hold, totalling about 60 seconds

Then, just to see how it felt, I did curls (haven't done these in about 2 years)
70#
10, 7, 6, 6

It was nice. I don't know how much I benefitted from it, but lately my arms haven't been looking the part, if you know what I mean.

I also played a bit of soccer with my kid today. I note this in my journal only as a reminder of the many dimensions in which we improve with our trainer. Even as a kid when I was in a soccer team, I don't remember being as precise or agile with the ball.

David Glass
03-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Saturday:

Warmup: 10 minutes freestyle jumprope (double-unders, skipping, cross-overs), 3 rounds for time of 10 Goblet Squats with 54 lb kettlebell, 10 push-ups, then...

Modified Fran: 21/15 - 15/12 - 9/9 reps of:
Deadhang Pull-ups/135# Thrusters
My time: 16:50

Then: 2 minutes of wipers (laying on floor, holding 135# barbell in bench-press position, bringing legs up straight, to one side, to the other)

I decided to forego the 2 mile run because I was recoverring from a cold. I am also winding down the endurance training a bit, which is why I went so much heavier on the thrusters. The goal was to actually do less reps, but I increased the weight to make the workout challenging from a strength training perspective.

I taped the session, and it's a good thing I did: Turns out I am still about an inch or two above parallel when going into the squat. I have been training for a while always trying to achieve full possible depth, not just below parallel, but this was an eye opener... really have to focus more on this.

Sunday, I did some Deadlifts
Warm-up: 10x135#, 5x225#, 3x275#, then....

310#
3, 3, 3, 3, 1+1

David Glass
03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Bench Press

Warm-up: 10 @ 135#, 5 @ 185#

245#
5, 5, 5, 4, 4

David Glass
03-03-2010, 05:10 AM
No training last night... Wife's b-day

I'm loving this new phase in my training. Last night, I had b-day cake, then, much to my family's horror, seconds, then, I really threw them off when I had thirds... yeap... hold back no punches

That being said, I'm not planning on having cake everyday, just upping the calories to see what they do to my strength gains

David Glass
03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Aaaah, my nemesis...

Warmup: 5 minutes on rower, 10 air squats, 4 x 5 x KB goblet squats

1 x 10 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

220#
5, 5, 5, 5, 4

Chin-ups
10, 8, 5, 5, 5, 5

I think I might know why squats are such a problem for me. Compared to benching, pressing, deadlifting, the load seems so much more taxing. I think I'm gaging my limitations vs the effort made on those exercises when this is really a beast in it's own

Case in point: On my first set last night, I was about to quit after 3 reps. THen I thought: NO way! You've done more! And completed the 5 reps... same ocurred on sets 2, 3, 4 and 5... wanted to quit, pushed a bit more

I think my assessment of whether I have a rep left in me needs improvement.

David Glass
03-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Training:

Warmup... 5:00 on rower, 2 sets of 10 push-ups

WOD
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 155# Push-Press
- 10 x ring rows
- 30 Double-unders

My Time... 24:45

Diet:
Been sticking to may paleo-oriented diet, but I have been occasionally endulging in carbs like cake, bagels, granola bars, pancakes... this has been over the past 2 weeks.

I have gained about 5 lbs, but since the first 4 were pretty much overnight, I'm attributing most of it to the fact that I was simply dehydrated as a result of going overboard with calorie cuts

Although I have been enjoying the rushes carbs have given me over the few days, and feeling a lot more aggressive and strong as a result, I realized last night this is just perception. There are days where you feel stronger, but you aren't, and days where you just don't feel like you have it in you, and you end up breaking your own PRs

Last night I felt pretty strong, but all my energy faded in the third round of my WOD. I still pulled through, but I think that's a warning that the strategy of taking carbs might not be working.

I'm no longer going to endulge regularly on the breads, bagels, etc. Instead I will go back to taking milk, this time whole milk as opposed to 2%. I will start with a gallon a week and adjust calorie intake by adding more nuts and oils.

David Glass
03-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Warmup:
- 5 minutes on rower
- 4 x 10 air squats (for stretching)
- 3 x 8 Goblet Squat
- 155# squat clean practice (never done this before as part of the wod, so I wanted to make sure it didn't demoralize me while the clock was running)

Then...

3 rounds for time of
- 8 x 155# Squat Clean
- 8 x 40 lb weighted ring dips
- 400 m run

My time was in the 25:00 range. Doing the squat cleans after the run was pretty much lights out every time I came out of the squat, so I'd have to dump it, recover, go for another rep.

I pretty much started the same way when doing 135# cleans, so I'm hoping I'll be doing my wods consistently with this weight in the future

Dips were pretty easy. I should have gone for 10 reps

David Glass
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Was sick sunday and monday with some sort of stomach virus. I barely ate two bowls of chicken soup all sunday and on monday my appetite had recovered at about noon

Tuesday:
Warm-up
- Air squats Ad Libitum for stretching into full depth
- 3 x 5 Goblet Squats

Back Squat
1 x 10 @ 135#
1 X 5 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 205#

5 x 5 @ 220# :D

Wasn't expecting to do all 5 sets full, especially after the weekend ordeal and having woken up at 4:30... I guess some days are just good

Today I did Bench Press

Warmup: two sets @ 135# going as fast as I can, even pulling the bar down to chest for speed

Then
1 x 5 @185#
1 x 3 @ 205#

I felt somewhat taxed at this point... maybe the speed thing was a bit too much, still I did

Bench 245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 2

David Glass
03-17-2010, 06:23 AM
I spent about 4 days celebrating my 3 y/o b-day. Took him to disney, tons of gifts and cake

Last night was my first training day since thursday, and I did the following

Warmup:
- Parkour... lazy, turn and thief vaults
- Air squats for stretching to depth (about 3 sets)

Back Squats
- 2 x 5 @ 135#
- 1 x 3 @ 185#

225#
5, 4, 2 + epic fail (had to dump the weight after I couldn't recover from a forward lean).

Because I was video-taping, I ran to the camera to see my first warm-up set and noticed I was about 4 inches high, so I really focussed on depth... probably not such a good idea when working with your max load.

This was really discouraging. Now I'm going to deload back to 205 and start over again. I'm really paying for the teen days I only wanted to bench press

After that I did some 40# weighted chin-ups, with the following progression:
6, 5, 4, 4, 4

David Glass
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Did Diane on wednesday, or
21-15-9 of
225# DeadLift
Handstand Push-ups

New PR of 9:55, down from my previous PR of 13:47 just one month earlier.

Last night I did some Bench Press

245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 1

David Glass
03-21-2010, 04:45 AM
An old friend of mine came to train with me yesterday.

It was like reliving the old days because, back when I was a 20 y/o, we would train together in Venezuela.

We did a scaled SealFit workout, since he hasn't been training in years.

I gave my buddy the pep talk: "Don't feel bad, you WILL give up, but it's important that when you do, it's because you truly know you can't continue. Take note of where and why you give up... bla bla bla"

Then we did a 45 minute fitness assessment. See what he was capable of, what injuries he had, etc. The planned workout was being modified accordingly

Then we ended up doing the workout, which consisted of the following:

Phase 1:
- I would do CF Grace while my buddy did rowing. The object was that he would row as fast as possible to gain the greatest possible distance before I finished Grace. Then we would switch... Because he wasn't ready to do the Power Clean + Jerk, I has him do the Sumo Deadlift (No high pull) with a 54 LB KettleBell

Phase 2:

5 rounds for time of
- 15 Wall-Ball
- Me 10 Ring Dips/He 10 knee supported push-ups
- Me 30 Double-Unders/He 30 standard jump ropes

Half way through Phase 2, my buddy complained of shoulder issues (He had injured his shoulder playing tennis), so I had him switch to sit-ups

At about round 3, I looked over to my buddy and he was plugging away... So much for my pep talk... he's a trooper!

Some great results. I had done Grace in 4:02... Although I thought my previous PR in Grace was 6:47, it was actually 5:17 on January 10 (http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,8753.msg284863/topicseen,1/#msg284863). So I didn't shave 2:30 as I had originally thought... just 1:15... still about 20% off, so, not terrible

I have decided that as part of training, it's pointless to do Grace at 135# if you're done that fast. From now on, I'll be swinging the 155#, and see how that goes

David Glass
03-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Added note about yesterday

For the past 2 years of training, my maximum HeartRate has always been 187, and I hadn't achieved that in about a year or so

Anytime I would reach 180, I would have to slow down so I could breathe, sustaining that heartrate for 5-10 seconds tops!

I just checked my HRM, and it showed that while doing Grace yesterday, I reached 180+ at exactly 2:00 into the WOD, and sustained it until completion at 4:02

David Glass
03-21-2010, 06:40 PM
5 rounds for time of:

- 20 x 65# overhead lunges (10/leg)
- 10 x pull-ups (deadhang)
- 400m run

My time... 32:52

My buddy finished in 35:56... He did 5 ring rows to replace the pull-ups, and bodyweight lunges

David Glass
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
On tuesday I did the following WOD

5 rounds for time of:
- 7 x 135# Thrusters
- 8 x Deadhang Pull-ups
- 30 double-unders

I'll post my time later, but I think I finished in about 22:00 and change

My buddy did
- 10 x Ring rows
- 10 x Goblet Squats with 25# bumpers
- 30 standard rope jumps

Last Night we did the following

5 rounds for time of:
- Run down and up 5 flights of stairs
- Handstand push-ups (scaled to push-ups for those who needed)
- 20 sit-ups

I forgot my watch, so no idea what my time was... although I know it was under 20:00

David Glass
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow... I haven't logged on in a week!

Things have been hectic. I got my laptop stolen this week. Some kids in my block broke into my car, popped the trunk and ran off with it. Everyone knows who they are and we're in the process of building a case... I am now set up with my new laptop (also company issued)

Let me try to remember what I did this week...

Saturday:

Back Squat 185#, 5 x 5, working mostly on squat depth, then...

3 rounds for time of:

- 7 x 155# Hanging Power Clean
- 12 x Ring dips

- Sunday, mow lawn for 4 hours (non self-propelled)... considerring active rest day
- Monday: rest

Tueday, sprints
Sprints
- 100 m (15s)
- 200 m (33s)
- 400 m (1:49)
- 800 m (4:57)
- 400 m (1:39)
- 200 m (37s)
- 100 m (17s)

Rest as needed between attempts.

Last night
Clean practice with medball to train my friend, then we moved on to empty bar

Then I did heavy press at 140#
5, 4, 3, 1 (weaker than expected here)

Then 5 x 5 40# weighted ring rows.

My buddy did standard ring rows while I did press, and Goblet Squats with 25# plate

I guess my memory is gettng better these days

David Glass
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Saturday did the following WOD

1) Row 5:00
2) Build back squat to BW (205#)
3) 5x5 BW Back Squat (205#)
4) Heavy Grace, 30 clean+jerk (155#)
5) Run 2.5 miles a little over 23:00
6) Max situps in 2:00 (53)

Sunday I did a few informal laps in the pool, about 1/4 mile

During my run, my HR was at about 175 BPM, consistent. With about 3 blocks to go, I began hauled butt... began to really feel the urge to stop, and finally did with about 3 houses to go before reaching mine.

I looked down at my watch and I had a heartrate of 198 BPM, which was real odd since it has never been over 187, and even that only a handful of times in the 2 years since I've been training

Furthermore, I realized that when I began to acelerate, I reached 190+ almost immediately and sustained it for over a minute (normally at 185+ I'd just quit)

I hope it's more of a sign of what I've accomplished mentally. I know my Max VO2 is between 175 and 184

David Glass
04-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Building up to The Crusher WOD 1 V2, I did

3 rounds for time of
- 7 x 155# cleans (full squat)
- 12 x Ring Dips
- 400m run

My goal is to pull off 5 rounds of these with 10 x 115# cleans. Today, although I had it in me, I am still having trouble with the weight, and my legs were simply shredded from Sunday's training... I felt that right into my first squat... inner thighs KILLING!!!

Corey Cedeno
04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Your training is improving since the APK days. Nice job.

What's "The Crusher" WOD?

David Glass
04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Your training is improving since the APK days. Nice job.

What's "The Crusher" WOD?

Thanks, Corey

Sorry if I don't recognize you. Did you use a different name on APK, or did you just check out my journal?

There are actually 2 Crusher WODs. I named them so because at one point I had attempted them several times over the course of maybe 5 months or so and was never able to finish them. They are as follows

Crusher 1
5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 115# thrusters
- 7 x pull-ups
- Run 400m

Crusher 2
5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 135# squat clean
- 15 x dips
- Run 400m

I was never able to do them until I subjected myself to 2 weeks of SealFit. Then one day I tried one and didn't even realize how great I was doing until half way through the third round when I wasn't even considerring quitting. My goal now is to increase the thrusters to 135# and the cleans to 155# on each one, increase the dips to ring dips, which I've already done, and do 10 pull-ups (deadhang)

Last night I did the following

Row for 10:00

DROM and stretch into full squat, then

5 x 5 @ 135# Press

Chin-ups: 10, 8, 6, 6, 6

David Glass
04-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Thursday WOD:

5 rounds for time of

- 10 x kipping pull-ups
- 10x 65# thrusters (had the bar loaded with weight for someone who could barely deadlift 65#)
- 460m run with small hill

My time... 25:06

Saturday WOD

3 rounds for time of

- 10 x 95# OHS
- 12 x ring dips
- 400m run

My time... 25:57

Then

Row 5 miles, 30:03

Then 30 Washers for time... 10:25

A couple of notes: For the past couple of weeks, I've been eating for strength and, as a result of training friends, have still been doing GPP. This has resulted in weight gains without the strength gains.

This week I'll be trying to resume my strength programming and, if it doesn't result, will go back to a diet more oriented to leaning out.

David Glass
04-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Last night did the following

Warmup: 5:00 approx freestyle jumprope, then 15:00 approx stretching (hips, calves, hip flexors, shins, etc. all in preparation for squat)

Then

Back Squat
1 x 10 x 95#
1 x 5 x 135#
1 x 3 x 185#

215#
5, 5, 5, 5, 4

The goal was to go beyond parallel with each and every rep. Happily I can say I accomplished just that. Because I wussed out on the last set by one rep, I will be repeating with this sam weight next time I back squat.

Then

40# weighted chin-ups
5, 5, 4, 4, 3

David Glass
04-21-2010, 05:32 AM
It seems like I'm back to logging every day (one man wave)

Last night I did the following:

Warmup: DROM and hip, shin, and calve stretching, then

5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 115# SDHP
- 12 x Ring Dips
- 30 x Double-Unders

My time... 23:04

My record in this WOD was 22:11, however I had done it with 10 standard dips rather than 12 ring dips.

I was pretty relaxed last night as I was battling a headache I sometimes get when doing double-unders. When I do get this headache (about once every other month), I have to completely stop and call it a day, so this time, I felt it coming on and paced myself... I did the WOD pretty much effortlessly from a metcon perspective, and I was surprised that all my dips, and a large portion of the SDHPs were done unbroken

David Glass
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Did the following WOD on wednesday:

5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x burpees
- 10 x Pull-ups
- 460m run

I didn't bring a watch, so I don't know my time

Thurdsday I did

- Dynamic ROM and dynamic stretching for warm-up
- Work my way to 1 RM Bench Press (295#)
- 5 x 0:40.00 Planche intervals with 0:20.00 rests

David Glass
04-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Saturday did the following:

Warmup: Complete DROM and 3 rounds of Cindy

Then, work my way up to 315# Deadlift, where I did 3 x 4

Then, Heavy Fran, or

21-15-9 of
- 115# Thrusters
- DeadHang Pull-ups

Then, run 1.5 miles (time unknown)

Then max situps in 2 minutes: 53

Last night I did

DROM, then 3 rounds of 10 push-ups, 10 squats

then 145# Press: 5, 5, 3, 2
then 40# weighted chin-ups: 5, 4, 4, 4, 3

Then, various core/ab work

David Glass
04-28-2010, 05:48 AM

Warm-up

- DROM
- Jump Rope (freestyle and off clock)... New Double-Under record of 42 unbroken
- Clean with med ball
- DROM (again)

Then...

5 rounds for time of
- 7 x 155# squat clean
- 12 x ring dips
- 30 Double-Unders

I pulled off 4 rounds in 25:23. My last round or two consisted of various attempts before one or two successes with the clean. I realized towards the end that fatigue was causing me to come forward to meet the bar, instead of pulling it back... this in turn lead to dumping it and a lot of wasted time, and especially a lot of wasted energy

David Glass
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Warm-up: DROM, then, Back squat, working my way up to 225#

Back Squat @ 225#:
4, 5, 4, 3

Then AMRAP in 12 minutes of:
- 15 x 1.5 pood KB Swings
- Run 400m

4 rounds

David Glass
05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Saturday did

CrossFit Kelly, or

5 rounds for time of:
- 30 Box Jumps
- 30 Wall-Ball
- Run 400m

My time: 46:09... this was about 30 seconds slower than my first time finishing this WOD. It amazes me some people post sub 20:00 times on this one!

After that we did tabata core work

David Glass
05-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Last night I did the following WOD

Warm-up
DROM, then work my way up to 315# DeadLift, then

315# DL
5, 4, 3

Then the following WOD
AMRAP in 15:00 of
- 10 x 65# OverHead Lunges (10/leg)
- 400m run
- 10 x push-ups

I wanted to do HSPU, but I realized during the WOD, that I had not prepared the area where I usually do them... push-ups seem so pointless

David Glass
05-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Did Cindy last night, or

AMRAP in 20 of
-15 air squats
-10 push-ups
-5 pull-ups

I didn't prepare myself mentally for this WOD. It's been at least 6 months since I've last done it and I ended up quitting at 16:00 with 13 rounds... tsc... tsc

David Glass
05-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Did some heavy back squats last night.

I think last night was the first night I actually enjoyed doing back squats. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I did Cindy the day before.

To summarize, because I had done Cindy, I wasn't expecting a stellar performance and just did the squats whatever the outcome. It was great, because it was the best outcome to date

I only went up to 220#, due to the logistics of swapping bumpers back and forth so my buddy could do squats with 115#. I also wasn't so stuck on how much I was lifting... Like I said, just going for the ride.

In the end, my progression must have been something like this, although it may be slightly inaccurate:

1 x 5 @ 65#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 5 @ 205#
1 x 5 @ 215#
3 x 5 @ 220#

Then we did a 2 minute tabata of 10 sit-up, 10 crunches with a suspended 10# bumper combo... I did 3 1/2 rounds

David Glass
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
DROM +

Bench Press
1 x 8 @ 135#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 225#

Then, 255#
5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Then Max distance on rower in 20:00... 3.3 Km

Since I'm pretty close to another weight bump, my next bump on the bench press will be 5 lbs (because that's the weight I have available before a 15# jump)... I think I will go 260# until I can do 5 sets of 6, and then go 275#

David Glass
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Conquered the impossible WOD

This is actually a scale up of the original Impossible WOD, which took me months before I could finish it

It consisted of the following:

5 rounds for time of:
- 7 x 155# squat cleans
- 12 x ring dips
- 400m run

The weight on the cleans went up from 135#, but the reps went down from 10. The dips went up from 10 reps and using rings instead of bars. 400m run remained the same

After successfully finishing the original Impossible WOD, I upped the ante a bit and in doing so, attempted it several times over the course of 2 months. Finally, yesterday, I was able to finish it at 33:35

David Glass
05-14-2010, 05:48 AM
We had a nice gaser last night, consisting of a 2 member team WOD

One member would do suicide drills, carrying a 40 lb vest to the next checkpoint, each checkpoint was about 50m apart. Once dropped in the next checkpoint, the runner would go back to the start, until the last checkpoint was reached, and the runner would have to carry the vest all the way back to the beginning

While the runner was doing this, the other team member would run down and up 5 flights of stairs. Once back up, if the weighted vest wasn't back at the starting point, the other team member would have to do rounds of 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups until it was, then it was time to switch roles

In total, the wod lasted 31:17 for me, and I know my team was the fastest, so we all had a huge gasser!

Tonight it'll be a strength+agility combo, I'll most likely do heavy press 5x5 with 140#, and then do a Parkour roll and Double-Under combo, or something to that effect

David Glass
05-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Did my 50 rolls last night.

I did 2 per side, then would switch sides, in sets of 4

Rolls were a bit sloppy, especially at the beginning. I'm having problems with my trailing leg coming out of the roll... I always seem to come out of the roll over the side of it... alas, it's been a LONG time since I've done these, I suppose some sloppyness is accepted

I considered the 50 rolls a good full-body warm-up and went right into doing press

Press
warm-up: 2 x 5 @95#

145#
5, 4, 4, 2

My math threw me off gain. I had loaded the two 5# plates instead of the 2 2.5#... I didn't realize this until after my second set, where I was wonderring why I was doing so terrible.

stephan marcella
05-15-2010, 03:36 PM
You need to brush up on your math....Didn't you do that before with the DL? Come on David ;)

David Glass
05-16-2010, 02:07 PM
You need to brush up on your math....Didn't you do that before with the DL? Come on David ;)

As long as my shotty math favors more weight, it's OK... I sure as hell wouldn't mind if someone had that same kind of math with my paycheck :-)

Alas... saturday was the killer WOD day

Warmup: DROM, and squat stretches, pushing knees out with the elbows, then

Back Squat:
1 x 10 @ 45#
1 x 10 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#
5 x 5 @ 225#... HUZZAH! Full depth achieved on all but maybe a couple of reps. I attribute this to 2 queues:

1) Not descending into the squat until all weight was on the heals and my lungs were full of air and locked
2) Focusing on a point about 10' ahead on the floor

Locking the air in made most of the diffenrence. Before, when the weight would move forward, I'd have to butt out, and more pressure would be on my back. This would always discourage further reps. Now when the weight would move forward, my locked torso full of air would just block the forward momentum

Second part of WOD
12-15-9 reps of
- Deadhang Pull-up
- 115# SDHP

My time... 17:19

Then 1.35 mile run in 13:12 (9:46/mi)
Then 5:00 of planche tabatas

Full workout took just under two hours in the heat and humidity.

Today I mowed the lawn in 3 hours 15 minutes... new PR LOL... then took kid to the pool and chased him around for an hour or so... yeap, that's the ACTIVE rest day

David Glass
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Warm-up: DROM and build bench press up to 255#

255# Bench Press
5, 5, 5, 4, 3

Incline Bench 155#
6, 6, 5, 5, 5

Then got to work on the new ab rollers I built:
10, 10, 10, 2

Last set I felt a pretty bad tug on the lower ab... I've been operated on 3 ingenal hernias, so I knew this was a queue to call it a night

David Glass
05-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Did a lot of warming up last night while I waited for my training partner

He finally showed up and I was 30 minutes short on my wod, and I was planning on training him on the deadlift

When all was said and done, I had 17:00 to do my workout, so I opted for the following:

3 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 155# Squat Cleans
- 30 x Double-Unders

Cleans gave me a real hard time at the beginning (as opposed to the end on other days). Seemingly, the more I warmed up, the more I was able to knock out 4 and 5 unbroken, still, my time was 21:09

David Glass
05-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Some posts missing here, mainly because I thought I had posted... conditional mindset of mine...

Friday:
Warmup: DROM, build up to 225# squat, then

1 x 5 @ 225#
1 x 3 @ 245#
1 x 4 @ 225#

I was really out of it. My mind was on a job offer I had gotten just minutes before. Couldn't get the focus I needed, so I went for a run

1.4 miles in 11:50... that's 8:33/mi, not too shabby... at least I saved face

Saturday:
Another story completely. Had gotten plenty of rest and my mind was made up regarding job offer

Warmup: DROM, build 2 275# bench, then

3 x 3 @ 275# Bench

Then Steve, Leon and I did a 3 way race of sorts. We had 3 movements

1) Run 1.4 miles
2) Row
3) AMRAP of 10 x 225# DL and 15 x wall-ball

Each would perform one of the above and the round would be completed whenever the runner had completed. In essence, the runner would try to complete as quick as possible, the rower would try to get in as many calories as possible, and the DL and Wall-ball guy would try to get as many rounds as possible... When the runner returned, everyone stopped

We did rock-paper-scissors to determine who did what first...

The score was as follows:

Me
Row: 83 calories
DL + Wall-ball: 5 rounds
Run: 14:20

Steve
Row: 90 calories
DL + Wall-ball: 3.5 rounds (DL scaled to 185#)
RUn: 11:17

Leon
Row: 60 calories
DL + Wall-ball: 3.5 rounds
Run: 17:45

Of all, of course I would say I got it the worse. I did the row first, followed by the DL+WB, and then the run... I could not get my legs moving... although I didn't stop, the run came in 2:30 longer than just one day earlier... I still completed it without stopping

David Glass
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Warmup: DROM, squat stretch... making some good mobility progress

Back Squat

1 x 5 @ 45# (bar only)
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

235#
4, 3, 3, 2... one set every 2 minutes

Then did ab rollers... 4 x 10 every 2 minutes

David Glass
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
DROM x 2

then...

5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 155# Push-Press
- 10 x deadhang pull-up
- Run 400m

My time: 28:00

David Glass
06-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Haven't kept up my log. My mind hasn't been on training. Although I have been training, my heart has been elsewhere, but here's what I've done in the past week:

Thursday:
3 rounds for time of
- Run 800m
- 20 Walking Lunges
- 25' bear crawl
- 15 pull-ups

22:30

Friday:
- 50 rolls
then, work up to 145# press, then
5, 4, 3, 2

Saturday was a sad day. My dog, friend, and training partner Maya passed away... couldn't get my mind on training until monday, and even then, my head wasn't in it... I ended up doing the following

-90 minutes mowing lawn (non self propelled mower)
- DROM

21-15-9 of
- 155# Power Clean
- Ring Dips
I know I timed it, just can't remember exactly what the time was... I'll post it later if I have it on record

Then, run 2.25 miles

This was excruciating. My normal time with this is just over 18:00, monday it was closer to 26:00... I don't think it was the heat... probably more fatigue due to the mowing of the lawn

Last night was a pretty crappy day too.

DROM x 2

Back Squat
1 x 6 @ 45#
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 4 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 215#
1 x 1 @ 235# (dumped on second rep)
1 x 2 @ 235# (completed second rep)
1 x 2 @ 225#

Just gave it up after that. A week ago I was able to do 5 reps at 235#... May have been fatigue from previous day, coupled with the fact that I was just going through the motions

Then I did 5 x 7 chin-ups... pretty clean

David Glass
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Warmup: DROM

then, back squat
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#
1 x 2 @ 205#

220#
5, 3, 2

Press
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 115#

155#
2, 3, 4

Mind failed me again last night, although it came back for the press... go figure

David Glass
06-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Saturday did the following:

DROM, then build deadlift to 315#

DL 315#: 3, 5, 2 (on first set a bee landed on my chest... completely distracted me)

then

Heavy Fran, or
21-15-9 reps of
- 115# Thrusters
- Deadhang Pull-ups

My time... 13:42

then

Run 1.4 miles... 15:20... The heat was just terrible... I found myself crawling into the fetal position everytime I found a tree with some shade (seriously, I got into the fetal position). The heat coming from up the sidewalk was just cooking me, my heartrate got up to 202 BPM according to my HRM

Last night I did the following:

DROM, then build to 235# back squat

235# Back Squat:
5, 3, 2

Then 40# Weighted Chin-ups: 5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Then Ab-Rollers: 4 x 10

David Glass
06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
DROM and

5 rounds for time of
- 10 x Handstand Push-Ups
- 10 x Deadhang pull-ups
- Run 400m

My time... 24:30

David Glass
06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Saturday did the following

DROM

Work up to 255# Bench Press, then...

255# Bench Press
5, 5, 4, 5, 3

Then, run 2.15 miles... 22:00, at 10:18/mi average

Then, Wipers (straight and lateral leg raises while lying down holding a 95# barbell upright)
6, 7, 4, 3, 5

David Glass
06-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow, a full week's worth of training and no logging.... tsc... tsc...

Anyhow, this is what I did last week:

Tuesday

Back Squat: Build to 235# then
5, 2... Dang! Miserable day

I had spent a full week without doing any squatting. Most I'd do would be some hip related movements (see last week's worth of logs). I was expecting to be nice and strong here. Other than the fact that I was attempting a set every 2:00, I really don't know what happened. Quit straight off after second set

Wednesday

Press: Build to 145#, then
5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Then...
40# Weighted Chin-Ups
5, 5, 4, 4, 3

Then 4 sets of 11 Ab-rollers

Note: all day I was still following one set every 2:00

Thursday: Rest

Friday

Back Squat: Build to 215#, then
5, 5, 5, 5, 3

I wussed out at on the last set, mainly because I wanted an excuse to do 215# again on my next workout

Saturday:
Bench Press
255#, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2

Then 45:00 of rowing

David Glass
06-21-2010, 04:15 PM
DROM +

Deadlift
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#
1 x 2 @ 245#
3 x 5 @ 310#

No sweat!... Well, a little, but it was hot, so I'm justified

David Glass
06-23-2010, 09:57 AM
DROM

5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 135# Thrusters
- 10 x DeadHang Pull-Ups
- 30 Double-Unders

I finished 4 rounds at 30:33... Couldn't coordinate with the double-unders anymore

David Glass
06-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Wednesday
150 burpees for time... 22:40

Thursday
5 rounds for time of

- 20 static forward lunges (10/leg)
- 15 x 1.5 pood KB swings
- 400m run

24:20

David Glass
06-30-2010, 06:26 AM
No training Friday or Saturday, mowed lawn on Sunday

Monday
DROM

Back Squat
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 4 @ 185#

215#
5, 5, 5, 4, 2

Tuesday
DROM

Bench Press
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 225#

255#
5, 4, 3, 1

Incline Bench @ 155#
6, 8, 6, 6, 6

stephan marcella
06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Come on David.....you are benching more than you squat.....Ramp it up, Brother!

David Glass
07-07-2010, 05:19 AM
Come on David.....you are benching more than you squat.....Ramp it up, Brother!

Easier said than done.

I did realize one of the reasons I might be so inconsistent with the weight: Apparently, each time I squat, I'm able to go deeper, notably moreso the last time I did back squa with 215#, just fell in the hole, caught the bounce, and was consistently getting stuck at parallel. I think once I'm over this, I'll be stacking on some weight.

I've got a whole week's worth of training I haven't been logging.

In essence, I trained

Sunday:
DROM, then

5 rounds for time of:
- 10 x 115# SDHP
- 10 x Ring Dips
- Run 400m

My time... 24:06 (new PR, first sub-25)

Monday
DROM, plenty of squat stretching (calves and elboeing out the knees getting into full squat depth)

Back Squat
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

215#
5, 4, 3... (calling it a day, lots of trouble getting out of the hole. In fact, on my second set, I only did 2, racked it, got ticked off, pulled it out again, did 2 more... same thing, trouble getting out of the hole). I have some footage of me warming up, depth was pretty awesom... unfortunately, didn't get any of the workout (battery died)

Tuesday
DROM

Bench Press
1 x 8 @ 115#
1 x 5 @ 155#
1 x 4 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 225#
5 x 5 @ 255# (graduating to 265# on next workout HUZZAH!!!)

Inclined Bench Press... as quickly as possible, swapping weight with training partner and going immediately into the set

185#
5, 3, 4, 3 (one set every 2 minutes or less, estimated)

David Glass
07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Thursday

DROM

Snatch practice with 65#

400 Jumprope + 100 Double-Unders for time... My time was just over 11:00

Friday

DROM, then 155# Grace in 6:44 (new PR for that weight)

David Glass
07-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Alright, I'm sick, that explains it

Monday

DROM, including some squat stretching. I noticed I'm consistently able to to touch the med ball, so I decided to make things interesting by stacking some bumpers, stretching till I'm sitting on it, and progressively removing bumpers. In the end, I was able to touch 2 45 lb bumper plates (Rogue recycled rubber plates about 2.75'' high each)

I then proceeded to do my back squats, building up to 205 lbs. I was having trouble with this weight and, in general, not feeling energetic. My progression was as follows:

205#
5, 4, 4, 4

Really bummed out. I had been doing my 5x5s with 215# and this really gave me a run for my money. Today I've got a pretty bad cold, so that explains a lot about how I was feeling that day, although, yesterday....

Thursday

DROM, including the squat stretch, then

Press
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 120#
1 x 3 @ 135#

155#
5, 4, 2

DeadLift
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 3 @ 245#
3 x 5 @ 310#... although pretty sick, I had little trouble with this. Really need to buy more weight, or begin doing sets of max reps or something

David Glass
07-29-2010, 06:39 AM
2 weeks of no logging... hmmm

To summarize, things have been somewhat crappy. I got a pretty bad cold a couple of weeks ago (tuesday), and that put me out of action for the most part of that week.

My come-back was with a light WOD

Friday
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 95# clean
- 10 x Ring Dips
- Run 400m

After the 3rd round, I crashed

Saturday
CrossFit Kelly in 54:40... my PR is 46:23... cold was messing me up pretty bad, but I pressed on

Sunday
Mowed lawn

Monday:
Attempted impossible WOD #1, or
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 155# Clean
- 12 x Ring Dips
- 400m run
Called it a night after 3 rounds, although, in retrospect, ever since I upped the clean weight from 135# to 155#, I have been doing only 8 reps on the cleans, so maybe things weren't all that terrible after all (this was also the third day in a row of very strenuous activity, so I wasn't mortified)

Wednesday:
Bench Press, Max reps per set of 225#
12, 7, 3 (one set every 3 minutes)

Inclined bench with 155#
8, 8, 6, 6

Thursday:
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 65# OHS
- 10 x Pull-ups (Deadhang)
- 30 double-unders

Really don't remember my time

Saturday:
SealFit WOD
Part 1: Back Squat...
1 x 10 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 5 @ 205#
1 x 4 @ 215#
1 x 3 @ 235#

Part 2:
21-15-9 of
- HSPU
- Deadhang Pull-ups (don't remember time)

Part 3:
Row + Run Race... Run was 1.25 miles. I would row as quickly as possible to try to cover max distance, while training partner ran 1.25 miles as quickly as possible. As soon as partner got back, we'd swap places.

I rowed 0.28 miles and ran the 1.25 miles in 16:11... half way through the run, I began getting huge cramps on my quads... first time in my life... heat was unbearable.

Monday:
Deadlift... work my way up to 310#, then 3 x 5 @ 310#

Tuesday:
5 rounds for time of
- 20 x Single Hand KB swings with 1.5 pood (54#, 10/arm)
- 15 Ring Dips
- 20 x 95# alternating in place lunges

My time... 29:40

After this, my legs were completely destroyed. I took wednesday off to rest. Today, I'll try to find some time to train

David Glass
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Thursday

Bench Press
Work my wayup to 255#, then 5, 4, 3 at 255#... I've been neglecting my bench press for the past couple of weeks, so this is understandable

Inclined Bench Press at 155#
8, 8, 8, 8

Ab Rollers
12 + 12 + 10, with almost no rest (30 seconds tops... really getting good at these)

Friday, off

Saturday: 2 hour Parkour session... Highly focused session, doing
- 30 Lazy Vaults / Side (60 total)
- 30 Thief Vaults / Side (60 total)
- 20 Turn Vaults / Side (40 total)
- 20 Precision Jumps
- 30 Monkey Vaults

This is how I like to train Parkour! I really don't feel I get the max out of random sessions of just going over stuff because they're there. I really got some time to focus on the technique of each move.

With all the heat and humidity, I was completely drenched in sweat, then I did

5 x 5 40# weighted chin-ups

In the afternoon, I did random yard work, up to 7:30 PM... boy was I beat!

Sunday: Rest day, beach and a lot of beer... I deserved it
Monday: Mowed Lawn (back)

Tuesday:
Worked my way up to 205#, then

4, 5, 7 @ 205#... Surprise! I was feeling really bummed out when I hit 185#... I had not done any squatting for about 10-14 days, so I didn't know what to expect, and when the 185# felt heavy, I was really demoralized, but I added 20# more and kept going... 7 reps on my last set... HUZZAH!

Guess I'm ready to go back to 215#

David Glass
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Thursday

Did Elizabeth for the first time in months, also the first time I did it as prescribed, with ring dips

16:49... eeeek!!!

Saturday:

Deadlift, build up to 310#, then
5, 4, 3...

Press @ 145#
4, 4, 4, 2

Did some partying on friday, went to bed late and with a couple of drinks in me. You could really tell on saturday based on how profusely I was sweating... My performance was really lacking as well... alas...

David Glass
08-12-2010, 06:18 AM
5 rounds for time of

10 x 115# SDHP
10 x DeadHang Pull-ups
30 x Double-Unders with heavy rope

23:31

A couple of notes with the pull-ups. I've been doing less of these lately. Sometimes I'll go a couple of weeks without doing any. Partially, this could be reflected in yesterday's performance, where I was doing 2 and 3 at a time in the last couple of rounds

Another consideration is I was doing 10 reps, instead of 8, so it could have also been fatigue

David Glass
08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Friday: Cindy with 40# vest: 9 rounds...

I got interrupted right in the middle of my first round by a neighbor who wanted to train with us.

I gave her the whole explanation, told her we'd be training the next day at 9:30, and to show up... but it was well worth the effort, because of course, she didn't show up.

Saturday:

Press. 4x4 @130#... Much less than I normally do, but I attribute this to the fatigue of the WOD the day before, then we did

2 way race:
1/1, 2/2, 3/3... 10/10 reps of Burpee/KB Swings
and
Rowing

Whoever was rowing would do so to cover max distance possible before whoever was doing the ladder would finish. Once the ladder person finished, they'd swap.

I finished my ladder in 10:25, then we swapped, and my buddy took 28:00 to finishe. I nearly collapsed after rowing for 28:00, especially in the heat of my garage!

David Glass
08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Monday:

5 rounds for time of

10 x 115# bent over barbell row
15 x ring dips
20 x 24'' box jumps

24:04

Tuesday:

Back Squat
1 x 5 @ 95#
1 x 5 @ 115#
1 x 5 @ 155#
1 x 3 @ 205#

225#
4, 4, 4, 4, 3

Ab wheel with 1:00 rest in between sets
20, 7, 7, 7

David Glass
09-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Was away for about a week, prior to that, I trained a week without logging. Great, let's get moving

Last night I did Elizabeth. Not the best WOD to come back to after a week off, and I didn't try to finish it... more like just getting the muscles fired up

Today I did Kelly, my time... 47:47

David Glass
09-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Monday

Back Squat:
Work up to 205#, and do one set every 2 minutes: 5, 5, 3, 4, 3

Press:
Work up to 135#, and do one set every 2 minutes: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3

Tuesday

5 rounds for time of
- 8 x 115# SDHP
- 7 x deadhang pullups
- 50 double-unders

My time: 22:16. I switched my double-unders around to acomodate traffic around the bar and the jumprope, I ended up doing 50, 30, 30, 30, 70

Thursday

Back Squat:
Work up to 205#, and do one set every 2 minutes: 5, 4, 5, 4, 3

Then tabata sit-ups, 40 seconds on, 20 off... total 104 sit ups

Today
Couplet, row, and run

I did the row while my buddy did the couplet, a scaled Diane with 155# deadlifts and supported push-ups (he has a shoulder injury)

He completed in under 15:00 and it was my turn, I did Diane as prescribed in over 17:00 (my PR is 8:55). A shameful performance due mostly to loss of strength in the shoulder and triceps, and in the grip with the deadlft

After that I did a 1.5 mile run in under 15:00. I was having hip pain in th beginning, but that went away just as I was about to give up.

In all, performance is down, and strength hasn't increased as a result of doing less CrossFit type workouts and more strength training. I'm going to keep consistent with the squatting, and maybe go with some more hypertrophy type work to build muscle, then I'll probably go all GPP again

David Glass
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Bench:
Work my way up to 220#, then 5x5 @ 220#, 1 set every 2:00

Inclined Bench @ 165#
5, 5, 4, 4, 3

Bent Over Barbell Row @ 135#
6, 7, 8, 5

David Glass
10-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Haven't posted here in a while. The new job is really hectic, and visiting the site is usually out of the question.

I feel compelled to post today in lieue of some recent successes, namely:

First sub 40:00 Kelly (39:22), down by over 5:00 since my last PR
First Impossible WOD completion, which consisted of
5 rounds for time of
- 10 x 135# thrusters
- 10 x Deadhang pull-ups
- 400m run
My time... 42:26

These mark a return to focussing more on metcons and a bit less on strength, to concentrate more on weight loss than strength gains

Although my squat weight is roughtly the same, I have noticed I'm doing the metcon squatting a lot easier and I have a greater ability to focus more on form