PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Sleeves: Yay or Gay?

Júlíus G. Magnússon
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I've been having having problems with my elbow for a few months now. I've been pretty careful about it and it's starting to feel 100% again. This has been an on-and-off thing and I'm getting really sick of it, so I'm taking it really easy, focusing on shoulder mobility and forearm strength before I reintroduce the movements that seem to have aggravated it in the past.

Anyway, I've been wondering, as I slowly bring back things like muscle-ups, levers and kipping pull-ups, do you think there would be any benefit to elbow sleeves? I was thinking, at the very least, they would keep the joint warmer than without them. But honestly, they look too gay for that to be their sole benefit. So, if anyone here has used elbow sleeves to rehab/prehab an elbow injury, did they do anything or are they not worth bothering with?

Alex Bond
02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know how much they would help pull-up stuff - I only ever see them on powerlifters who are benching or hurt themselves benching, and occasionally strongmen who are spending plenty of time on the bench themselves. If it helps, I wouldn't worry about looking like a fool. Maybe find someone with some or some knee sleeves and try it out.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Just to note, it's generally pressure at an awkward angle that bothers my elbow. Like pushing away from the bar in a kipping pull-up, the transition in a muscle-up (and sometimes a thruster), holding a a front/back lever variation et cetera.

Pressure that goes directly against the forearm, like in the bench press, does not bother it.

Steven Low
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
It probably won't hurt as long as you continue to do rehab/prehab.

Think of it like you're using a belt for weightlifting.

Garrett Smith
02-20-2010, 05:21 AM
I love my knee sleeves...never would have thought it in a million years a while back.

Brian Stone
02-20-2010, 06:06 AM
I love my knee sleeves...never would have thought it in a million years a while back.

+1. Never used elbow sleeves, but I have recurring knee problems and knee sleeves go a long way toward alleviating aggravation.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be grabbing some next time I get the chance. Any specific brand you guys recommend?

Gary Ohm
02-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I bought a pair of extra small knee sleeves. The knee sleeves are longer than the elbow sleeves. They hold on fine and I think they help by keeping the joint and connective tissues warm. If I'm doing alot of pulling or pressing I wear them.

Donald Lee
02-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be grabbing some next time I get the chance. Any specific brand you guys recommend?

Can't go wrong with Rehband, if you're willing to dish out the cash.

Joe Hart
02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
I dont have elbow issues, but I use Rheband knee sleeves and it helps alot. They stay nice and warm especially good for MN. Rheband does make elbow sleeves. Pricey, but if it keeps you from injury then its money well spent. I bought my knee sleeves from Jackal's gym (online).

Garrett Smith
02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
My knee sleeves are Tommy Kono's, if I were in the market for elbow sleeves, I'd try them first.

Jen Peterson
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
LOL, if it really hurts, then looking gay should be the last of your worries!

Grissim Connery
02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
i think they can be good even for the sake of feeling more comfortable and confident. in BJJ, everybody has their own personal injury/weak joint. i think it's nice just to use a sleeve or something for the while until you aren't as afraid from any freak accident from happening. but then again, freak accidents generally should not occur if you're just working out (ideally).

several guys there have used elbow sleeves. although it can help keep stuff warm, i sometimes get annoyed when it has made inflamed stuff feel more inflamed just by heating up so much. if you're just working out though, i don't think it would get too hot. you generally dont' get nearly as hot and sweaty as you do when you're rollin with another dude (especially if you're wearing a gi).