PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about priming the CNS

Shane Skowron
02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm interested in the concept of "priming" the central nervous system for optimal performance before a maximal effort. Being a small guy who's not interested in gaining any weight I am looking to gain strength primarily via CNS efficiency, not hypertrophy.

1. Has anyone tried the method of supramaximal holds as described in this article? http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/primed_for_muscle
If so, was it successful and how frequently did you do it?

2. Should you prime the CNS for muscular endurance activities, and if so, how? For example I am trying to maximize my deadhang pullup numbers. Lately when going for a maximal set I have just been jumping on the bar cold and banging them out. Should I be doing a couple weighted PU's before my maximal set to prime up?

Brandon Oto
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh lord no.

Shane Skowron
02-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh lord no.

Can you elaborate?

Steven Low
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Probably better to do explosive movements integrated into the warmup. Same effect really and it's not as fatiguing as the other stuff.

I've tried supramaximal holds, and heavy eccentrics. Didn't seem to make too much of a difference.

Brandon Oto
02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Can you elaborate?

Sorry, just had a seizure. Carry on.

Mike ODonnell
02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
A cold shower may wake up the CNS more.

Steven Low
02-20-2010, 03:10 PM
A cold shower may wake up the CNS more.
Not sure if you wanna do that before exercise though. :p

Perhaps burpees with max effort jumps?

Donald Lee
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Read Lyle's series on warming up.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/training/training-fundamentals/page/2

Part 1 talks about the general warm-up, and part 2 talks about more of what you're asking.

Shane Skowron
02-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Steve Shafley
02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I've had much better luck incorporating explosive work in warm ups than supramaximal holds, and I've tried the holds many times on many lifts.