PDA

View Full Version : Starting Strength forums

James Evans
02-25-2010, 05:17 AM
My word, Rip really is a king bethroned before a realm of sulky, petulant, ignorant teenagers.

Is the stronglifts environment like this or is it too heavily moderated? Most of these handpumps seem to have come from there.

Read or pretend to read a book, make a few posts. Laud Rip. Be an expert.

Gotta love teh internetz.

I just read the reaction to Shaf's polite interjections regarding the press and it's left me feeling rather melancholy.

Would be so much easier if the domain name took you to a page that said:

Buy the book. Read the book. Drink your milk. STFU. That's all.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Probably. I think the community is a little "new" and there are a lot of people without a long training history. I think my squat is above the median and there aren't many with a 500 squat commenting regularly in the open areas (is there anybody?), which certainly skews the perspectives. Couple that with the fact that strong people come in, give good (but contrary to the mainstream) advice, and get told off by a n00b, well, don't fault them for not having the patience to stay.

Jonathan Yoon
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Hmmm...

BuyTheBookReadTheBookDrinkYourMilkSTFUThatsAll.com

Nah, doesn't roll off the tongue. :D

Gant Grimes
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Plus, it's completely pointless to say you've got a 135.5# PR [in the press]. I don't care your age, weight, experience, or whatever. Don't tell people that shit.

Lulz.

I've never done much on that forum because I see Rip every day. I have to say he's a hell of a lot more patient on those forums than if someone asked him those kind of questions at the gym.

Regarding microloading...2.5# plates make me feel a little gay as it is. I can't imagine going less than that.

James Evans
02-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I dread to think what retarded nonsense gets rejected in moderation.

Actually, that would make a funny book...

Shaf is of course talking out of his arse because he is pale and pasty and swings kettlebells tied to a pair of jeans around his head.

James Evans
02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Hmmm...

BuyTheBookReadTheBookDrinkYourMilkSTFUThatsAll.com

Nah, doesn't roll off the tongue. :D

In a world where CrossFit has been abbreviated to dot com (mainsite too much to type?) I imagine it doesn't.

That's an irritating sign of the times.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Lulz.

I've never done much on that forum because I see Rip every day. I have to say he's a hell of a lot more patient on those forums than if someone asked him those kind of questions at the gym.

I have to say, though, you need to distinguish between the Rip Q&A and the unmoderated forums. The shenanigans alluded to in the initial post are in the unmoderated forum.

Gant Grimes
02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I dread to think what retarded nonsense gets rejected in moderation.

Actually, that would make a funny book...

Shaf is of course talking out of his arse because he is pale and pasty and swings kettlebells tied to a pair of jeans around his head.

I have trained late on occasion (when Rip reads and posts). He has come out and cussed me out during the middle of a set because of the crap that gets posted on there. Sometimes he would just have to stalk the gym until he could calm down enough to answer the questions.

I don't know why Shaf brings that crap on himself. He either loves arguing with stupid people or he's trolling the SS to recruit some future power bears.

James Evans
02-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know why Shaf brings that crap on himself. He either loves arguing with stupid people or he's trolling the SS to recruit some future power bears.

He is certainly well and widely travelled on the internet superhighway. Perhaps he seeks redemption. Apparently he's embittered by Glassman's financial success.

I have to say, though, you need to distinguish between the Rip Q&A and the unmoderated forums. The shenanigans alluded to in the initial post are in the unmoderated forum.

Accepted. The rest is a big playground for the kidz to run around and spaz out which is a shame.

Steve Shafley
02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Damn, I'm getting assraped everywhere lately. I must be too distracted by external forces to be on top of my game.

Kettlebells swings with jeans?
Financial envy?
People questioning my authority?
Seeking redemption?

Gant Grimes
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Damn, I'm getting assraped everywhere lately. I must be too distracted by external forces to be on top of my game.

Financial envy?
Seeking redemption?

Indeed.

"It's dizzying in its ramifications. More complex a system than I wanna take apart." (http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/GG_AtChalkboard_Isolation_JournalPreview.mov)

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Financial envy?
Seeking redemption?

I notice you didn't say anything about the "recruiting power bears" accusation...

Alex Bond
02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Whatever, let the kids have some fun. Everybody goes through those phases where they don't know anything about something, then they know everything about it, then they realize how little they know. A lot of posters on that forum are in stage 2 of that process, and it is a natural and healthy thing.

Steve Shafley
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah. For some reason the power bear remarks have been off the charts lately.

I'd forgotten about it because it was just so prevalent lately that it was unremarkable.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah. For some reason the power bear remarks have been off the charts lately.

I'd forgotten about it because it was just so prevalent lately that it was unremarkable.

Did a video leak recently or something? It's been a while since I've looked at P&B...

Steve Shafley
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
There must be something that was posted somewhere, I have gotten about 10 new subscribers to my youtube page the last week or so.

Jamie J. Skibicki
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
At least the fanboys and the members of the Msingh Army get jumped on faster and harder than a power bear at an Adam Lambert concert. I see the same thing happening there as CF. Someone who has never trained or never trained effectively finds SS (or CF), makes more gains than they could imagine and then thinks it's the best way to train. Also, they start this fanboy attraction to the inventor, Rip (or glassman).

What gets me about the response to Shaf is that the difference between what Rip said what Shaf said varies by the slightest margin. Both are interested in gaining strength and size. Shaf presented a different way of going about that. It was still low reps and high weight with enough time to recover. It's like arguing which is better; high bar or low bar. Just fucking squat heavy and deep.

Any time you have noobs, you get this behavior. The more you let it go, the worse it gets. The board could use guys like Gant and shaf to give adivce and beat stupid ass noobs into submission.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
And there was just a thread started inciting strife between Lyle McDonald and the SS board. Is there some sort of effort to troll across sites going on, or is it just douchebaggery on the rise? I ask because a rise in cross-site talk is always a little suspicious.

Ganine Vanalst
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I think all these fitness forums need to take one massive chill pill. Preferably rectally.

Maybe it's just human nature, but a lot of people are really tightly wound.

I like the ss forum; it's more laid back and I can curse all I want. This forum is good for info of a more serious nature. It's like bars that have different feels/clientele; you frequent one type when you are in the mood for one type of atmosphere and another when you want a different type of atmosphere.

SS forum is a really mixed bag. Lot of young guys there (that is why a degenerate middle aged woman like myself hangs out there :D ), but those guys asking their "stupid" questions are Rips customers and they help contribute to his bottom line. That place is a place where they can feel things out, test the waters, and socialize. Things don't always have to be so serious to be valuable. They are having fun. Shit, I am having fun taunting and shamelessly flirting with Rip. It's like poking an old grumpy bear. So far he hasn't swatted me LOL, but he has censored some of my comments.

Live and let live (unless it's CF...stay focused people!).

Jamie J. Skibicki
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
"that is why a degenerate middle aged woman like myself hangs out there "

Ganine,

I like where your heads at, we need to hang out more.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
It is Starting Strength, right? The title, not to mention the whole premise of the book, implies it's teaching noobs how to lift. Of course there are stupid questions on the forums :confused:

I have seen a lot of cross-site shenanigans from the sites that I frequent. Could be something suspicious going on.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I have seen a lot of cross-site shenanigans from the sites that I frequent. Could be something suspicious going on.

I mean, it's a weaksauce and crude imitation of a page from a legendary<a href="http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/_/meow_wars.html">book</a>. Not that page in particular, but, well, anyway.

Ganine Vanalst
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM

Ganine,

Priorities, Jamie, priorities.

If ever in the Seattle area, give me a holler. Be happy to grab a drink, hang out, and scheme.

James Evans
02-26-2010, 02:36 AM

Financial envy?
Seeking redemption?

God knows which of your vids the guy had been looking at but he was disappointed to note you swinging a KB tied to a pair of jeans and that you had an apparent aversion to the sun.

It can be such a let down when you meet your heroes and role models.

The guys there haven't discovered the way of the power bear yet, it is Starting Strength after all.

Steve Shafley
02-26-2010, 05:56 AM
That was a rigging strap for the sled.

My skin color was washed out due to the general crappiness of the camera. I'm not getting good vid out of it at all, which is why I haven't thrown up any new stuff in a long time.

Jonathan Yoon
02-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Priorities, Jamie, priorities.

If ever in the Seattle area, give me a holler. Be happy to grab a drink, hang out, and scheme.

He'd probably be on the first flight out. Weather is better here than in PA right now. ;)

Mike Kerce
02-26-2010, 07:08 AM
wow, that place is a zoo! i hadn't visited there since when nobody was posting on it. I guess for trainwreck/entertainment purposes it's an interesting read. I'll never get why the internets turn everyone into an expert on whatever they're talking about. I don't know if i'll personally ever feel like i'm not a newb when it comes to training...and I kind of like that...if I wasn't constantly learning and trying new things, even if they're just little things, I think i'd tend to get bored. I also will never understand why folks feel the need to rush to the defense of their gurus. I'm pretty sure if they're gurus that are worth following, they can defend themselves. Boredom is a helluva drug.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I mean, it's a weaksauce and crude imitation of a page from a legendary<a href="http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/_/meow_wars.html">book</a>. Not that page in particular, but, well, anyway.

Holy hell. I'm sorry to say that I am nerdy enough to remember this. I haven't looked in usenet forums in years though... good times.

Jamie J. Skibicki
02-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Ganine,

My priorities are training, food and women. THe order changes depending on long I been without each of them. I like to attack all of them with vigor.

Ganine Vanalst
02-26-2010, 09:30 PM
He'd probably be on the first flight out. Weather is better here than in PA right now. ;)

Weather has been really nice here :) Where you at? I was thinking of starting a thread seeing who was in the area and maybe trying to organize a West Coast Meatfest if anyone is interested. Could try and do it same weekend as those East Coast fools are having theirs. Maybe rent a campground or something. Just an idea.

Ganine,

My priorities are training, food and women. THe order changes depending on long I been without each of them. I like to attack all of them with vigor.

You can train your woman to come to you and then eat her and then you've covered all bases in one shot :D ( And when I say "eat her," of course I'm talking about cannibalism, I mean, just how degenerate do you think I am?)

Me priorities...playing, sleeping, food, training. Playing always comes first, sleeping, food and training supports playing.

Regarding forums, it's astounding just how controversial food/diet, exercise/training can be. For just about every perspective/belief there seems to be a competing view point and almost all claim to have the data/proof/evidence. How in the world is the average lay person supposed to sort through all this insanity when people who have strong interests in the field either professionally or as a hobby can't seem to agree on anything (or very little). Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Jonathan Yoon
02-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Weather has been really nice here :) Where you at? I was thinking of starting a thread seeing who was in the area and maybe trying to organize a West Coast Meatfest if anyone is interested. Could try and do it same weekend as those East Coast fools are having theirs. Maybe rent a campground or something. Just an idea.

One town away from you (Auburn Area). Having a Meatfest out here sounds freakin' awesome! Jamie's description of it and the pics looked fun as hell.

Steve Shafley
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
The new highwater mark on the SS forums is the theory that there is WET muscle tissue and DRY muscle tissue in the living human body.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-27-2010, 12:17 PM
The new highwater mark on the SS forums is the theory that there is WET muscle tissue and DRY muscle tissue in the living human body.

Where else does beef jerky come from but the dry muscles of a cow?

Jay Ashman
02-27-2010, 12:19 PM

no they didn't.... that has to be a joke, tell me please.

Jonathan Yoon
02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
no they didn't.... that has to be a joke, tell me please.

You wish.

http://www.startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=15335&highlight=muscle

Jay Ashman
02-28-2010, 01:57 AM
You wish.

http://www.startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=15335&highlight=muscle

why did I just read that.... oh man

Geoffrey Thompson
02-28-2010, 05:43 AM

Everybody loves to see a trainwreck.

Tom Rawls
02-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Don't be too hard on Shaf. He used to be a blonde. Imagine what it would be like going to sleep at night as David Beckham and waking up as Telly Savalas.

That would fuck with you psyche.

Ganine Vanalst
02-28-2010, 01:17 PM
One town away from you (Auburn Area). Having a Meatfest out here sounds freakin' awesome! Jamie's description of it and the pics looked fun as hell.

Great! I'll start a thread soon to see who else in the area is interested. In the meantime, anyone else who would want to see it happen pm me so I'll know there is some interest. If no one else is interested, you and I could grab a beer at a bar with wifi and we can troll the SS bacon forum and give this thread some fodder for discussion :D

Don't be too hard on Shaf. He used to be a blonde. Imagine what it would be like going to sleep at night as David Beckham and waking up as Telly Savalas.

That would fuck with you psyche.

Telly was sexy as hell (Yul Brynner too, they don't make em like that anymore). Kojak was filmed a lot in the neighborhood I grew up in. The precinct in the opening scene of the series was close to where I lived. I met Telly when I was a kid during the filming of an episode. Big guy, and he had amazing presence.

Steve Shafley
02-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Yoon means something else when he says "meatfest".

Derek Weaver
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM

The CF forums have migrated over to the SS forums. I thought Rip was pretty well reserved on the Q&A section of the Strength Mill. I don't know how he handles it over at SS now.

Geoffrey Thompson
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
The CF forums have migrated over to the SS forums. I thought Rip was pretty well reserved on the Q&A section of the Strength Mill. I don't know how he handles it over at SS now.

I think he's still pretty reserved there. The unmoderated sections are where it's getting hairy, and he probably quite rightly doesn't touch it with a barge pole.

James Evans
03-02-2010, 05:19 AM
No. I'm not taking that role here. I suggest you ask Rip about anything you want to ask me about, because Rip's like fucking ODIN, the ALL FATHER, having PLUCKED HIS EYE OUT at MIMIR'S WELL deep under the roots YGGDRASIL, the world tree, for a single DRINK of enchanted WATER that granted him WISDOM AND FORESIGHT.

Only Rip just got a forum full of morons in return.

Absolute genius in your evocation of Norse mythology. And I commend you for taking the time to hammer some sense into that board, particularly after the dry muscle/wet muscle nonsense.

Bravo.

PS I've never seen any of Kubik's videos but what I've always wondered from the photos I've seen is why a lawyer needed to look like he lived in a ditch and spent his days sifting through scrap metal and refuse.

Jay Ashman
03-02-2010, 06:28 AM
let's not get started on Norse Mythology, Shaf! :D I got a tattoo of a Valknut on the back of my neck, my chest has runes, I have the Sagas, Eddas, and Myths 5 feet from me right now... woohoo!!!

But, I read that thread again and I am literally amazed they are debating that. I have no idea why the hell that even matters? Are they trying to impress people with intelligence that much? Do they think they are so smart? It's effn' weightlifting guys, not nuclear physics. Lift the goddamn weight, eat food, get big, get strong. Its not, lift weights, analyze the phythagorean theorem as it applies to force production on the squat, log on to startingstrength.com and post your findings, have 10 other tools comment on it and debate a point that nobody can explain, rest....

Christ, no wonder I stick to here for my forum needs, and the occasional CF board baiting.

Jonathan Yoon
03-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Yoon means something else when he says "meatfest".

Awww crap, I walked right into that one. *bows to the master*

Mike Kerce
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
let's not get started on Norse Mythology, Shaf! :D I got a tattoo of a Valknut on the back of my neck, my chest has runes, I have the Sagas, Eddas, and Myths 5 feet from me right now... woohoo!!!

But, I read that thread again and I am literally amazed they are debating that. I have no idea why the hell that even matters? Are they trying to impress people with intelligence that much? Do they think they are so smart? It's effn' weightlifting guys, not nuclear physics. Lift the goddamn weight, eat food, get big, get strong. Its not, lift weights, analyze the phythagorean theorem as it applies to force production on the squat, log on to startingstrength.com and post your findings, have 10 other tools comment on it and debate a point that nobody can explain, rest....

Christ, no wonder I stick to here for my forum needs, and the occasional CF board baiting.

is that stuff worth reading? i've always been a fan of what i've read of Norse myth. definitely the most interesting of all mythologies to me.

i hear you on the turning lifting heavy stuff into rocket science. i even get bogged down in it from time to time...CF did that to my brain...now i'm detoxing.

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
"*bows to the master*"

may not be the best response to a meatfest comment.

Jonathan Yoon
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
"*bows to the master*"

may not be the best response to a meatfest comment.

Ah crap!

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Ganine,

This alone makes me want to start reading some of the stuff on the forum. Gotta love Ganine. Gotta love her.

All the best,
Arden

Jay Ashman
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
is that stuff worth reading? i've always been a fan of what i've read of Norse myth. definitely the most interesting of all mythologies to me.

i hear you on the turning lifting heavy stuff into rocket science. i even get bogged down in it from time to time...CF did that to my brain...now i'm detoxing.

It is worth reading, its awesome to read about old religions and how they incorporated their lifestyle and environment into shaping their origins and beliefs.

Don't get bogged down in it, the basics will always apply to getting stronger and in better condition.

Blair Lowe
03-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Umm, this is the wisest and coolest thing I have heard lately. At least I can do 2 out of the 3.

Ganine Vanalst
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
This alone makes me want to start reading some of the stuff on the forum. Gotta love Ganine. Gotta love her.

All the best,
Arden

Arden, if I should ever have need of a press agent (or an attorney and bail money for that matter), you'll be the first I call.

That wife of yours is a lucky woman. If I had an iota of homewrecker in me, I'd be a girl on a mission.

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Blair,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Send lawyers, guns and money.

John Warkala
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Blair,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Send lawyers, guns and money.
Thanks...now I have to change threads because that's the one song I'll have to work out to today.

Steve Shafley
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I've got a P&B shirt with a segment of the Elder Edda on the back.

Hard is it in the world
Great Whoredom
An axe age, a sword age
Shields will be cloven
A wind age, a wolf age
Ere the world sinks

I always get people trying to decipher it. I'd say nobody I've ever met knew what the hell it was without me telling them.

John Warkala
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Hard is it in the world
Great Whoredom
An axe age, a sword age
Shields will be cloven
A wind age, a wolf age
Ere the world sinks

I always get people trying to decipher it. I'd say nobody I've ever met knew what the hell it was without me telling them.
Sounds similar to Theoden's speech before the Battle of Pelennor Fields.

Jay Ashman
03-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Hard is it in the world
Great Whoredom
An axe age, a sword age
Shields will be cloven
A wind age, a wolf age
Ere the world sinks

you rule man... Viking mythology is something I used to be real into for a long time.

James Evans
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Lyle just made Glassman look rational:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=15550

Silly stuff.

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
That whole fucking debacle is embarrassing. I think you should have to read Super Training, The science and practice of strength training, Practical Programming and power to the people before you can post on a strength related forum or power total 1300 before you can post.

Fan boys, internet guru's, lack of discussion in the physical presence of someone else and egos make for a bad combination.

James Evans
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Read Supertraining? That's a harsh apprenticeship.

Geoffrey Thompson
03-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Silly stuff.

Didn't Lyle have some sort of falling out with Glenn Pendlay a couple years back that Glenn handled in his characteristically classy and professional manner?

Donald Lee
03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I just glanced at the Q & A Section, and I'm surprised that Rip's never heard of the rolling deadlift. Maybe he truly is a novice's strength trainer. From the little that I've read from Rip in the past few years, he always seems to have not heard of things or understand things that top PLers do. I'm just going to assume that he may not know much about current gear usage.

Anyways, that was an interesting meltdown Lyle had. I think he should stop frequenting so many forums.

Donald Lee
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Didn't Lyle have some sort of falling out with Glenn Pendlay a couple years back that Glenn handled in his characteristically classy and professional manner?

I believe it had to do with Glenn's posting of a video on his website with bad squatting form.

James Evans
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I believe it had to do with Glenn's posting of a video on his website with bad squatting form.

And if I recally Lyle and Rip tag teamed Glenn somewhat.

Allen Yeh
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Wow...that was pretty bad.

Gavin Harrison
03-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Read Supertraining? That's a harsh apprenticeship.

That's what I was thinking, the other three are completely doable. Supertraining is a lifetime worth of sleep aid...

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
James,

I'm harsh man sometimes. It would especially help over a CF when they think "Wow, no one else has ever tried to defined fitness like this before glassman". This is true except it isn't glassmans definition, it's the guy from dynamax and Siff did it first.

Internet flame wars are bad enough between ignorant jackasses, but when it starts to be between fairly knowledgable guys, it really sucks. THinking about the possible out come of Rip, Glenn and Lyle working together instead of ... well whatever the fuck this shit is makes me sad and little angry.

Chris Forbis
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Silly stuff.

Ye gods.

What a wanker.

Shane Skowron
03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Like said on the Couch thread, exercise is real serious business.

Pat McElhone
03-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Is Supertraining worth reading? I have heard it is pretty dense stuff. What do you guys who have read it think? I read John Jesse's book. I saw a lot of the stuff Glassman wrote about in the early CFJournal.

Ganine Vanalst
03-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Like said on the Couch thread, exercise is real serious business.

No shit. I'm beginning to think it might be more rewarding with less bullshit selling illegally harvested body parts. Jamie, you in? No use getting sad and angry...channel it into something productive. I can lure guys into hotel rooms and drug them and you can help me harvest the organs (I get first dibs on...well, you know). We can target Rip's "fanboy" chuckamuffins and sell the meat to Robb to make into Paleo snacks. I am sure if we put our heads together (hehe) we can figure out how to deal with the Kuru risk and harvest the brains for mercury/toxin free sources of dha. Could the bone be made into good vitamin D or calcium supplements??? So much potential $$$$ to be had. Rip was more right than he knows...terribly useful humans indeed.

Ganine Vanalst
03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Never mind. Just occurred to me most of them are grain fed. Damn...could of been good.

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Ganine,

We could target vegans, aren't those mostly grass fed? I like you plan, except I would target all fan boys. I look at it like virgin sacrifices. It's more incentive to not be one.

I also have to say that "hotel rooms and drug" + you = great idea

"Jamie, you in?"

THis is a question I've never been asked before.

Derek Weaver
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
That meltdown would make for one of those awesome videos on youtube.

Ganine Vanalst
03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
We could target vegans, aren't those mostly grass fed?

I suppose, although they don't have much meat on them. Hate to generalize, but as a group they tend to look awfully grumpy and unhealthy, so I suspect whatever meat the do have will be very tough and bitter tasting.

I look at it like virgin sacrifices.

Are you trying to get me in trouble? Um...perhaps I should rephrase...that topic is off limits on this forum. It's gotten me into hot water before despite my having sincerely altruistic motives. Now go flagellate yourself in penance, and mail me the evidence and some money so I can grant you an indulgence.

I also have to say that "hotel rooms and drug" + you = great idea.

Don't do drugs personally, but not much else I don't do ;)

THis is a question I've never been asked before.

I don't doubt it.

glennpendlay
03-11-2010, 01:10 AM

I'm not sure about the classy and professional, you may be being entirely too kind, but yeah, actually Rip and Lyle kind of doubled up on me a while back concerning a video I had on my website of a kid making a big PR on his 5RM backsquat. His knees were coming in during the last couple of reps, it got pretty bad on the last rep. For a variety of personal reasons pertaining to the kid in question, I put the vid up anyway, and left it up. But they beat me up about it pretty bad, lol. But, take the good with the bad I guess.

Concerning the whole Lyle vs Rip thing, basically, Lyle as good as called the guy a liar. And thats uncool. especially when you really dont have the evidence to back it up. Rip is good at getting weight on skinny young kids, no one who has half a brain can argue with that. I think Lyle has half a brain, in fact a lot more than half a brain, but he didnt engage it before he staked out his ground in this fight.

I got nothing against either guy. But in this instance, Lyle really ought to man up and apologize. You just cant call someones integrity into question like that and walk away like it never happened.

glenn

James Evans
03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Is Supertraining worth reading? I have heard it is pretty dense stuff. What do you guys who have read it think? I read John Jesse's book. I saw a lot of the stuff Glassman wrote about in the early CFJournal.

Pat - borrow it, don't buy it. It mostly gathers dust on my desk. How did you get hold of Jesse's book?

James Evans
03-11-2010, 02:09 AM
James,

I'm harsh man sometimes. It would especially help over a CF when they think "Wow, no one else has ever tried to defined fitness like this before glassman". This is true except it isn't glassmans definition, it's the guy from dynamax and Siff did it first.

Jamie, so many people pass through the CF experiment that the perceptions change all the time. I don't know if you ever looked at the testimonials section but go back to the really early pages and see who was posting. Many current people involved with CF will have no idea who these people are.

And it will come to pass that no one will have heard of Dynamax and certainly not Jim Crawley.

Pat McElhone
03-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Pat - borrow it, don't buy it. It mostly gathers dust on my desk. How did you get hold of Jesse's book?

Thanks, would you say the same about Facts and Fallicies?
Here is the link to buying Jesse's book.

http://www.superstrengthbooks.com/john_jesse.html

Best quote in the whole book

""Authorities in the sports medicine, physical education and physiological worlds are unanimous in their agreement that the three physical qualities of strength, stamina and flexibility are the foundations for the development of a high level of neuromuscular coordination, balance, speed, reaction and movement time, power and agility, which in turn are the basis for skill learning and successful athletic performance."
-John Jesse (1974)

James Evans
03-11-2010, 04:16 AM
"Authorities in the sports medicine, physical education and physiological worlds are unanimous in their agreement that the three physical qualities of strength, stamina and flexibility are the foundations for the development of a high level of neuromuscular coordination, balance, speed, reaction and movement time, power and agility, which in turn are the basis for skill learning and successful athletic performance."
-John Jesse (1974)

Nothing new under the sun...

That's not a bad price. I blame Dan John and Mark Twight, driving up the price with all their name checking.

I've never seen Facts and Fallacies. I'm sure Shaf and others here could comment.

Kevin Perry
03-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I think everything is rather ridiculous, wether it be crossfit, starting strength forums or whatever, It's pretty retarded and bone headed to be ridiculed for choosing a high bar squat over low bar or for wanting to be lean and healthy rather then be huge and "70's" big, or for being picked apart because a max rep attempt didn't have "perfect" form. Who honestly gives a shit what internet personalities think? Whatever, the rest of the world really doesn't give a shit about your fran time and last I checked in the real world, most girls don't give two shits how much a guy can squat and wether he is 200 pounds or not.

My opinion on the starting strength forums and it's posters? Pretty much the same level as bodybuilding.com, at face value it gives entertainment on a boring day.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
I think everything is rather ridiculous, wether it be crossfit, starting strength forums or whatever, It's pretty retarded and bone headed to be ridiculed for choosing a high bar squat over low bar or for wanting to be lean and healthy rather then be huge and "70's" big, or for being picked apart because a max rep attempt didn't have "perfect" form. Who honestly gives a shit what internet personalities think? Whatever, the rest of the world really doesn't give a shit about your fran time and last I checked in the real world, most girls don't give two shits how much a guy can squat and wether he is 200 pounds or not.

My opinion on the starting strength forums and it's posters? Pretty much the same level as bodybuilding.com, at face value it gives entertainment on a boring day.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Arden, if I should ever have need of a press agent (or an attorney and bail money for that matter), you'll be the first I call.

That wife of yours is a lucky woman. If I had an iota of homewrecker in me, I'd be a girl on a mission.

LOL. I am very very flattered. Thank you. Made my day. :D

Enjoying the commentary by the way.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Thank you!!!!

I suppose, although they don't have much meat on them. Hate to generalize, but as a group they tend to look awfully grumpy and unhealthy, so I suspect whatever meat the do have will be very tough and bitter tasting.

Are you trying to get me in trouble? Um...perhaps I should rephrase...that topic is off limits on this forum. It's gotten me into hot water before despite my having sincerely altruistic motives. Now go flagellate yourself in penance, and mail me the evidence and some money so I can grant you an indulgence.

Don't do drugs personally, but not much else I don't do ;)

I don't doubt it.

Gary John
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Whole thing is just intronet peacock feathers.

You may not notice, but I save all my hate for this one fella and am sure glad I never video my lifts. Don't ask, don't tell.

Jonathan Yoon
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Whole thing is just intronet peacock feathers.

You may not notice, but I save all my hate for this one fella and am sure glad I never video my lifts. Don't ask, don't tell.

You got no squat man, it's genetic. *LOL* ;)

Ganine Vanalst
03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
One of those little milk guzzling, wet behind the ears Rippecunts accused me of being bat shit crazy and insane. Like I've never been called that before. :p

Fuck em I say. Let the supremacy group infiltrate. And after all I tried to do to save them. Now I know how Glassman feels. Ingrates.

I've heard talk of a UFO thread on this forum and it has peaked my interest. Anyone care to enlighten me? Not that I believe in such things of course. ;)

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Ganine has been exposed. Now it all makes sense

James Evans
03-12-2010, 02:02 AM
One of those little milk guzzling, wet behind the ears Rippecunts accused me of being bat shit crazy and insane. Like I've never been called that before. :p

Fuck em I say. Let the supremacy group infiltrate. And after all I tried to do to save them. Now I know how Glassman feels. Ingrates.

I've heard talk of a UFO thread on this forum and it has peaked my interest. Anyone care to enlighten me? Not that I believe in such things of course. ;)

Ganine, I thought your apology post was very, very funny. Your talents are wasted on people who either are only interested in seeing your arse (through a medium where pornography is easily available? Really?) or are unaware that you are a woman.

James Evans
03-12-2010, 02:05 AM
You may not notice, but I save all my hate for this one fella

I've seen you share the love around once or twice.

Wayne Riddle
03-12-2010, 05:27 AM

Damn, missed that post over there...

Ganine Vanalst
03-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Ganine, I thought your apology post was very, very funny. Your talents are wasted on people who either are only interested in seeing your arse (through a medium where pornography is easily available? Really?) or are unaware that you are a woman.

Thanks, James, glad you found it funny :D .

I don't think Rip minds the shenanigans that go on in that bacon forum; if I sensed he did, I'd refrain. I restrict my stupidity mostly to that part of the board and try not to sully the "serious" training forums (although I did try and fuck with Rip a few times in his Q&A for shits and giggles cause I am highly immature and silly that way and he's a big boy and I think he can take it). I wouldn't do that sort of thing here as it would be much less appropriate. After all, I have managed to hang on to some vestiges of a sense of propriety, although the bit that remains seems to be lessening with time. Sanity can be so damn constricting...I look forward to complete liberation.

At least the forum there is pretty much unmoderated and there is less chance of my insulting delicate sensibilities. Although I do think I might have disturbed that cj fellow a bit; and we were getting along so swimmingly too until I implied he might have a problem with premature ejaculation and then things went rapidly downhill from there.