PDA

View Full Version : Help deciphering blood test results

Duncan Swain
02-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi,
Am hoping someone can help.
I'm based in London, UK, and have recently had a blood test that has given the following result:

Cholesterol (Fasting) : 4.8 mmo1/1
Trigliceride : 0.62 mmo1/1
HDL : 1.37 mmo1/1
LDL : 3.15 mmo1/1

I'm finding it hard to compare like for like with the way blood test are typically displayed in the US. My doctor is now telling me to take Benecol daily to reverse the HDL/LDL numbers as the ratios are currently not good.

I have two questions:
1 - can anyone help me put these results into context - i.e. how good/bad are they?

2 - is there an alternative to Benecol, something with less additives?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Duncan

Tony Ferous
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Benecol is that margarine crap with sterols in right? I would go near that!

Whats your diet, fitness level and exercise regime like, thats the first place to get in order.

Duncan Swain
02-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Benecol also comes as a yogurt-type drink in the uk too, which is what I'm trying now (though has some sugars and a shit-load of preservatives).

Fitness
3 times a week CF WOD-based for last 3-4 years, previous to that typical weights and runnin globo gym style training for previous 20 years.

Diet
the good: lots of meat (organic, mostly grass-fed), lots of veg, lots of nuts; no sugar, pasta or bread
the not-so-good: peanut butter, some milk, some oats

Steven Low
02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
This may help:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/faq/part1/section-9.html

from the numbers they don't actually look that bad if the conversion numbers are right...

Do you take any supplements?

Duncan Swain
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the link, v helpful.

In terms of supplements, I take zinc, B complex, vits C and E and fish oil.

Steven Low
02-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Definitely start talking Vitamin D:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/

Magnesium and calcium may help as well...

It doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong unless your sleep is trash or there's something in your diet/training that you're not telling us (or you are silently not doing well with).

Duncan Swain
02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks Steven,

Will see what vit D supplements are available over here.

My doctor"s opinion was that i have too much LDL and not enough HDL, and that the ratios basically should be reversed.

And I don't think there's too much else in my diet I'm not mentioning. V occasional bread and pasta (once a week at a maximum), some tea and coffee (all without sugar) - certainly nothing I think would be a problem.

Steven Low
02-28-2010, 06:35 PM
LDL and cholesterol should go down with vitamin D supplementation if you're not getting alot from the sun already and are deficient.

The link in iherb I list in the article above is a good one. I believe they have like $4 flat international shipping or something of that nature too.

Wayne Riddle
03-01-2010, 02:36 AM
You could also try Niacin.

Steven Low
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
How much fish oil are you taking btw? YOu may need MUCH more.

Duncan Swain
03-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Steven,

I think you're right about the fish oil, the brand I take at the moment seems to have fairly low levels of EHA and DHA, I take four capsules a day each with a breakdown as follows:

Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg
containing
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 180mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 120mg

Also, have ordered the same brand of Vit D you've recommended, tracked it down in the UK, should arrive tomorrow.

Darryl Shaw
03-02-2010, 06:33 AM
2 - is there an alternative to Benecol, something with less additives?

I don't know of any alternatives to Benecol worth recomending so I think you're just going to have to read the labels carefully if you want to avoid unnecessary additives. Anyway, here's a few links to some of the research on phytosterols and cholesterol -

Lowering cholesterol - A review on the role of plant sterols. (http://www.racgp.org.au/Content/NavigationMenu/Publications/AustralianFamilyPhys/2009issues/afp200904/200903clifton.pdf)

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/sterols/

Stanol/Sterol Ester–Containing Foods and Blood Cholesterol Levels. (http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/103/8/1177)

This final one is interesting as it suggests that the decreased carotenoid levels resulting from increased sterol intakes can be addressed simply by increasing consumption of foods high in carotenoids.

Impact of quality of dietary fat on serum cholesterol and coronary heart disease: focus on plant sterols and other non-glyceride components. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19764688?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=pubmed)

Duncan Swain
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks Darryl - much appreciated.

Steven Low
03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Steven,

I think you're right about the fish oil, the brand I take at the moment seems to have fairly low levels of EHA and DHA, I take four capsules a day each with a breakdown as follows:

Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000mg
containing
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 180mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 120mg

Also, have ordered the same brand of Vit D you've recommended, tracked it down in the UK, should arrive tomorrow.

Yeah, you definitely want at least approximately .5g EPA+DHA for every 10 lbs bodymass or so.

150 lbs mass = 7.5g EPA+DHA if your diet isn't in tip top shape (grassfed meat, good quality eggs, etc.).

Minimum I'd be getting at least 3-5g.

It's easier to get a liquid fish oil with the amount of fish oil that you need in general... but if you can find something cheap like costco brand that has tons of pills for pretty cheap then that works too. Let us know how it goes.

Duncan Swain
03-03-2010, 04:21 AM
How does this sound:

Nature's Best Pure Fish Oil 1100mg

Product Specifications Per capsule:

Fish Body Oil Concentrate 1100mg
Providing Omega 3 Fatty Acids 700mg
of which:
Saturates 93mg
Mono-unsaturates 157mg
Polyunsaturates 812mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 360mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 240mg

Cost for a 360 cap bottle is £25 ($38).

And at around 190lbs I'm assuming I'll need & or more capsules per day.