PDA

View Full Version : Hypoallergenic WL Shoes?

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
03-02-2010, 05:46 AM
This may seem a bit silly to people that have no experience with this, but I've had a pretty horrible problem in the last few years of being allergic to something that is in most shoes. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact material, even with a barrage of allergy tests, but I believe it to be some sort of glue that is used in most shoe-making.

Anyways... I'm normally confined to wearing hemp-based shoes, or shoes that have little to no glue involved in the manufacturing. I just got a pair of Pendlay do-wins, and after a couple of uses, I'm pretty sure that I'm allergic to them and I'll have to send them back. Though... I hope to give them a few more days.

Does anyone know of any such "hypoallergenic" Weightlifting Shoes? Something with minimal use of glues. Maybe something labeled "organic"?

My google-fu has not yielded anything, and I figured that this crowd may have heard of such a product.

Garrett Smith
03-02-2010, 08:25 AM
I can't help you on shoes...but your sensitivity would likely be reduced by some simple supplements to help your liver detoxify whatever this substance is more efficiently.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
I can't help you on shoes...but your sensitivity would likely be reduced by some simple supplements to help your liver detoxify whatever this substance is more efficiently.

Care to elaborate? I wasn't aware that supplementation could help with contact dermatitis allergies. Is there a specific set of supplements that help with all-things allergy related, or is it paramount to know the exact skin allergy?

Garrett Smith
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
When the liver and/or kidneys are not able to handle detoxification of specific compounds, their last resort is to push it out through the skin.

Improving liver function may help a lot with this, or simply reduce the severity of your reaction.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
When the liver and/or kidneys are not able to handle detoxification of specific compounds, their last resort is to push it out through the skin.

Improving liver function may help a lot with this, or simply reduce the severity of your reaction.

A quick search on Vitaminshoppe.com reveals that supplements with Milk Thistle claim to improve liver function. Is this along the lines of what you mean?

Garrett Smith
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Milk thistle, as Siliphos (silybin bound to phosphatidylcholine, known as a "phytosome") is the best kind of milk thistle to use, IMO.

I use it in a combination supplement (with other liver-supporting herbs) by Thorne Research, called T.A.P.S.

Darryl Shaw
03-05-2010, 05:30 AM
If you're sure it's something in the shoes you're reacting to and not some weird fungal growth on your feet you could try using Sealskinz (http://www.sealskinz.com/) socks as a breathable barrier between your feet and whatever it is in your shoes that you're allergic to.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
03-05-2010, 07:00 AM
If you're sure it's something in the shoes you're reacting to and not some weird fungal growth on your feet you could try using Sealskinz (http://www.sealskinz.com/) socks as a breathable barrier between your feet and whatever it is in your shoes that you're allergic to.

Unless I've had a fungal growth for 6 years, that happens to not be a problem in organic/hemp shoes, then I think its a reaction.

Wow, they sell those socks at a place near me. Looks like $40 a pair. hmm...