PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Supplements Redux

Jonathan Limbird
03-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I was reading over an old thread of people's top 5 supplements, and I wanted to revive it to see how the top 5 have changed. The old thread is here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336
And the old top 5 overall by respondents were:
Fish Oil
ZMA
Probiotics
Multi-V
Creatine

Definitely forsee Fish Oil stying on top, but now the addition of Vit D...

My top 3:
Fish Oil
Vitamin D
Glucosamine/Chondroitin

Only three because those are the only supplements I have noticed differences from. I also take creatine, multi-vitamin, cal/mag/zinc but am stopping those and then going to try a few new things one by one to see if I notice any changes. On the list to try: Probiotics, Enzymes, ZMA or separate mag and zinc, possibly BCAA further down the road.

Steven Low
03-03-2010, 06:11 AM
1. Fish oil,
2. Vitamin D
3. Some combo of calcium/mag/zinc (ZMA works, or whatever else)
4. Some type of other combo good for sleep (ZMA helps, but probably something else as well)
5. [Insert supplement depending on goals here]

Adolfo Riveron
03-03-2010, 08:30 AM
1.fish oil
2.creatine
3.d3
4. zinc/magnesium (taken seperately)
5. melatonin when i need to make sure i get some sleep

My favorite supplements are any warm tea, especially green, and yerba mate. I didnt put those down on the list however because i guess theyre really not supplements.

Steve Shafley
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Vitamin D has had a dramatic effect on how many colds both me and my daugther (who's 6) have had this winter. Coupled with my super secret nasal irrigation forumula.

For me.

1. Vit D
2. Fish Oil - don't notice much when I take it, but notice when I don't.
3. Creatine
4. Magnesium
5. whatever

Mike Kerce
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
interesting thread. i'd be interested to see what the general consensus on dosages would be as well. all i take is fish oil today.

Steven Low
03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
interesting thread. i'd be interested to see what the general consensus on dosages would be as well. all i take is fish oil today.
Vitamin D at least 5,000 IU if not up to 10,000.

Fish oil depends on your diet. At min probably 3g per day if you're eating clean on everything. Can go higher depending.

I think Robb's recommendation for fish oil is lik .5-1g EPA+DHA per 10 lbs body mass with unclean diets all the way up to unclean diet + very obese.

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
My original 5 are all still valid.....although I personally stopped using fish oil and just started eating more fatty fish like sardines and herring (as well as ditching grain fed beef and opting for Omega 3 eggs). Seems to all work out.

Need to get back to ZMA....haven't done that in a while either.

I don't do Vit D supplements...and opt for more healthy (grass fed esp) fatty meats higher in natural vitamins. I don't get sick (unless I do something stupid and run my immune system into the ground)....so again, all seems to work out.

Kevin Perry
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I think for me it has morphed to:
1. Fish Oil
2. Vit D
3. Creatine/BCAA's Pre W/O
4. ZMA

Allen Yeh
03-04-2010, 04:25 AM
For myself top 5:
1. Fish oil - either liquid carlsons or Flameout
2. protein
3. zma
4. Vitamin D - this is only an occasional thing as my D levels are pretty good
5. Fiber - a la DJ's recommendation of Metamucil

For my family:
1. Vitamin D - 5000 iu if not 10000 iu - I really like the NOW foods brand and the pills are tiny
2. Vitamin C
3. multivitamin
4. fiber chewables for the kids
5. fish oil - my wife will take the liquids but the kids will only take it disguised in Coromega packets or something like that

Brandon Oto
03-04-2010, 07:43 AM
1. Fish oil
2. Vit D
3. ZMA
4. Multivit
5. Nowadays nothing... protein when I can get it

I suppose the salient question is why everyone stopped using probiotics.

Mike ODonnell
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I suppose the salient question is why everyone stopped using probiotics.

I think once you load up...and don't do stuff to kill it off/repopulate bad bacteria (sugar, yeast, crap food, antibiotics)...you are probably fine. I have a policy of just loading up once a year on it as a safety net.

Chris Forbis
03-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I think once you load up...and don't do stuff to kill it off/repopulate bad bacteria (sugar, yeast, crap food, antibiotics)...you are probably fine. I have a policy of just loading up once a year on it as a safety net.

Quite true. I get a lot of fermented things in my diet (homebrew beer/cider, sauerkraut, ACV) so I don't find much need to take lots of additional probiotics. Once or twice a year I'll do loading dosage for a week, and I might take a single pill the morning after a particularly large amount of crap food consumption.

1. Fish oil (maybe move to algae dha soon?)
2. Vitamin D
3. Magnseium
4. Zinc
5. Multi-vitamin

Mike ODonnell
03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd probably add "powdered Greens" to my top 5 nowadays too......as I don't eat enough green stuff. More a safety net on the whole pH balance thing.

Tony Ferous
03-07-2010, 04:44 AM
In no particular order...

Fish oil
Vitamin D
Zinc/Mag
Multi-vitamin
BCAA

Pretty similar to many others peoples lists, not surprising as we feed all feed off each other here..

Garrett Smith
03-07-2010, 06:16 AM
I'd probably add "powdered Greens" to my top 5 nowadays too......as I don't eat enough green stuff. More a safety net on the whole pH balance thing.
I've done this too.

Mike Romano
03-07-2010, 06:33 AM
1. Fish Oil
2. Vitamin D
3. ZMA

...no one uses iodine? Surprising....

James Evans
03-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Sorry, took me a while to dig this up from EliteFTS, thought people might find it interesting.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/phil_richards.htm

MH: Supplements can be confusing to most competitors out there. How important are supplements in todayís world?

PR: The right supplements are paramount for human health. My top five are: apricot kernals, Spirulina, transdermal magnesium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and vitamin D. A bit different to all the other crap being peddled out there! Always remember if you want performance, you must have health. Thatís why my whole philosophy is about building health, then strength. Performance is then a natural progression.

Personally I'm mostly with MOD so my list gets to 2.

1. Multi Vit - mix with a pint of water and make sure I start the day by taking on fluid

2. Fish Oil capsule - Omega 3 heavy

I'm sure I could survive without 1. but life gets kind of hectic and unpredictable and I don't always get enough fruit and veg and other good stuff in me.

+ I don't spend my money on Mutant Mass Special Formula XX Cocksurge Protein Powder or doughnuts so I'm happy to buy multivits.

+ I travel on public transport everyday and I'm surround by sick people....

Michael Miller
03-15-2010, 04:33 PM
I eat as paleo as possible, get daily sun exposure, practice yoga and meditation along with my daily workout and martial arts training...I also get 8-9 hrs of sleep each night. These things alone have probly made the biggest difference in my quality of life and health than any supplement ever did. I do take these on a daily basis...

1 Tbsp Carlsons CLO + 1000IU Vit D Drops
1 Tbsp Vitamineral Green Food Powder
1 Pak Animal Flex
1 Tbsp Natural Calm Magnesium
1-2 Emergen-C Lite Paks

Here's a good supplement article from Ross Enamait
http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/supplements1.html

Michael Miller
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I usually try and pay attention to the most up to date information concerning diet, exercise, and supplementation but the more I hear, see, and read, the more I realize how complicated everyone seems to be making all of this.

Michael Miller
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Sorry for rambling :)

Blair Lowe
03-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Considering I spent a lot of time the past 30-40 hours puking and crappy my guts out, I've been thinking about probiotics and prebiotics. I do remember one article and lab test that showed more improvement with prebiotics than pro.

I also may be trying to switch from fish oil to Krill Oil and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Michael Miller
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Blair, I keep a box of Dr.Ohiras probiotics on hand at home and especially when traveling...other than that I get my daily dose with fermented foods and my greens drink powder.

I have cleared a case of food poisoning with myself, friends, and family simply by giving a dose every half hour until the symptoms subside...usually takes about 90-120 mins depending on severity. I feel that besides CLO / Fish oil and Vit D it is probly one of the most important things you can be getting in your diet.

Blair Lowe
03-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Cool, I wish I had known this earlier but things seem to have leveled off since last evening. I only used a regular dosage of what I bought.

Michael Miller
03-17-2010, 03:47 PM
A good rule of thumb is to use probiotics that do not have to be refridgerated. If the probiotics cannot take a room temp environment without loosing effectivness then they probly arent doing much good once they get to the stomach.

liz neufeldt
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
1. good quality multivitamin
2. fish oil
3. probiotic
4. liquid cal-mag-zinc (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/supplement/trace-mineral-research-liquimins-cal-mag-zinc-32-oz-6108) (with vitamin D included for calcium absorption...like the liquid form of this vitamins for absorption as well)
5. vitamin D

These are the vitamins I take on a regular basis. I think they're all great and all seem to contribute to my immunity as well as my overall health.