PDA

View Full Version : XF Obsession is now Core Fit Obsession

Steve Shafley
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
This would be Blauer's affiliate, with Brandon Gilliam and AllisonNYC working there.

Now unaffiliated.

Mike Kerce
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
interesting. easy to see this happening more and more as folks start to realize they don't need the CF branding to get clients.

anybody know the reason behind the deaffiliation?

John Warkala
03-03-2010, 12:13 PM
My links, both on the internet and facebook for Crossfit Obsession now go to Core Fitness Obsession. The most they say is that they are interviewing new trainers.
Xfit Obsession is no longer listed on @fit affiliate page. Is this another thread unraveling ?

Dominic Sirianni
03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I believe there was some sort of pricing issue where they were charging far less than the surrounding affiliates and it was causing some friction.

Steve Shafley
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I thought it was HQ policy to leave the affiliates alone.

I heard that HQ provided Blauer with plenty of stuff, and in turn Blauer brought a lot of legit operators in to train.

Jonathan Yoon
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I thought it was HQ policy to leave the affiliates alone.

I heard that HQ provided Blauer with plenty of stuff, and in turn Blauer brought a lot of legit operators in to train.

10-to-1 that Shave got involved again.

Any takers?

Dominic Sirianni
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm 85% certain I read something about it in the affiliate blog comments a few months ago about free equipment and then them undercutting people even though they had free equipment.

There were more partners than just Blauer involved is my memory of it. I believe that Brendan was upset about the situation but couldn't resolve it for some reason.

Jay Ashman
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
even still, why is HQ getting involved with the pricing structure? Blauer makes money off his SPEAR system and MMA training as well, maybe he didn't need to charge a pile of money to get people in the door and do CF.

something is odd about this...

Derek Weaver
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
10-to-1 that Shave got involved again.

Any takers?

Yeah, I'll take it. 10-1 is somewhat of a longshot.

It is interesting that B-boi of all people is on the outs now. The house is starting to crumble.

Before when Robb and Gregg got de-affiliated, it was "just two rogues getting kicked out for chasing their own interests", so to speak.

When Rip left it wasn't that big of a surprise because he was never very CF to begin with.

B-Boi and ANYC leaving is pretty big. Very surprised by this one. I'd think that unless it was more about Blauer than the operation as a whole that those two would have started their own operation.

Dominic Sirianni
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Who is to say they are on the outs? Could be completely related to the other partners and have very little if anything to do with them. They aren't listed as trainers on that core fitness obsession site.

Steve Shafley
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
From Lynne Pitts

Lynne Pitts
Administrator

Re: Crossfit Obsession
CF Obsession, operated by Brendan Gilliam, is still an affiliate in good standing. There are some issues with their "business partners" that are being worked; official clarification will be out shortly.

John Warkala
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
From Lynne Pitts
Still in good standing yet removed from the affiliate page roster ?

Geoffrey Thompson
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
From Lynne Pitts

I smell some backstabbery. I'm getting out my popcorn. My guess is that the "business partners" have the building, the website, and the clients while Brendan has the HQ backing, the name "Crossfit Obsession", and possibly the equipment.

John Warkala
03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
I smell some backstabbery. I'm getting out my popcorn. My guess is that the "business partners" have the building, the website, and the clients while Brendan has the HQ backing, the name "Crossfit Obsession", and possibly the equipment.
Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head.

Justin Algera
03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Wow I was getting my popcorn and beer out for the next of the great meltdowns, but this one turns out to be a fizzle:(

Derek Weaver
03-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm bummed. I was hoping for another extreme showcase of class and ethics. Kind of a "what not to do" by CFHQ.

Garrett Smith
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Do not give up hope. Someone will leak something good.

James Evans
03-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Look at the Affiliate Blog (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/)for yesterday (3 March).

Tattoed man in beanie and big breasted blonde attention seeker say they are only in it for the love.

How sweet.
How tedious.

Geoffrey Thompson
03-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Do not give up hope. Someone will leak something good.

Well, this is mildly interesting: And now for my favorite trick, "THE AMAZING VANISHING POST!"

...Cuz when they control the information ohhh they can bend it all they want...

Of the 15 people who are actually from our gym that have posted comments it's really a testament to HQ's integrity that the only one not removed was a member who came in for the first time in 3 months last week and agrees with you so he can get B & Al in his box. 6 rds of burpees & mixed grip pull-ups; what else can you do when all your equipment was ganked 4 days ago?
All memberships and pre-paid private training sessions have been canceled/refunded (for approx 450 members) at a significant financial loss to the real owners (if you define "owner" as the people who pay for things and not the name on a piece of paper). Unless they paid for their privates to B & Al directly- best of luck recouping that.
Comment #22 - Posted by: John- CFO the gym with, not the name on a piece of paper at March 4, 2010 4:03 AMWon't stay up long.

EDIT: And it's already gone.

Geoffrey Thompson
03-04-2010, 05:06 AM
And a few more that won't be up long: Despite whatever quarrels that occured between HQ and the Owners, everyone single CF Obsession member was stabbed in the back by HQ. There was no "rescue" or heroic action taken by the HQ parties involved. They took the equipment in the middle of the night without any regard to the members of the gym. There are still many that are at a loss of up to $1500 each for private training that was paid directly to the trainers which has yet to be returned. I will never ever again be associated with Corruptfit.
Comment #23 - Posted by: THETRUTH at March 4, 2010 4:47 AM

CorrupFit is correct. We back Luke Hillier 100%. I, along with my counterparts want no afilliation or association with HQ or Brendan Gilliam and Allison Bishop and hope that they are duly charged with theft.

Thank you Luke Hillier. We support you and look forward to our new gym. In the midst of all this slander, remember you have many supporting you and we are glad that our year and a bit spell with HQ, Gilliam and fat Bishop is over.
Comment #24 - Posted by: Ryan at March 4, 2010 4:57 AMI reckon stuff like this will pop up regularly for a little while. Nothing too juicy. I suspect we won't hear much of the juicy stuff because the Core Fitness people are too wise to discuss pending legal actions openly - that's my speculation. And I suppose I won't be able to post on Crossfit ever now.

James Evans
03-04-2010, 05:29 AM
You keeping a vigil Geoffrey? I see Glassman stepped in with some of his rabble rousing polemic.

And I suppose I won't be able to post on Crossfit ever now.

You'll cope. Trust me.

Geoffrey Thompson
03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
You keeping a vigil Geoffrey? I see Glassman stepped in with some of his rabble rousing polemic.

You'll cope. Trust me.

I just hit reload a couple times when I woke up. I've coped with it for decades, I think I'll manage. Unless I need somebody to correct my medicine ball clean or sumo deadlift high pull form. I really need to find a way to do the latter without mucking up my shoulders...

Patrick Donnelly
03-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Wait, so does the fact they've renamed themselves "Core Fit Obsession" mean they've finally admitted that it really is all about the abs?

If that's the case, that's cool, as "get ripped abs" is really a better (more concrete) goal than "improve functional fitness" - I'm just surprised that they're willing to admit it.

Steve Shafley
03-04-2010, 06:12 AM
The LLC attached to that business is in Hillier's name.

Hillier is a significant person, i.e. a CEO of a good sized defense contractor, and I imagine he possessed the legal clout to take care of business.

Even if CFHQ owned the equipment, there was a handshake deal with Hillier about the use of it. Taking it in the middle of the night without going through the motions may have significant legal repercussions.

LLCM6150 LLC AGENT INQUIRY 08:15:22

LLC ID: S280476- 5
LLC STATUS: 00 ACTIVE
LLC NAME: CROSSFIT OBSESSION, LLC

CURRENT REGISTERED AGENT:
NAME: LUKE M HILLIER STREET: 477 VIKING DR STE 350 CITY: VIRGINIA BEACH STATE: VA ZIP: 23452-0000

LOC: 228 VIRGINIA BEACH CITY OLD REGISTERED AGENT: NAME: STREET: CITY: STATE: ZIP: STATUS: EFF DATE LOC:

ADS no. 4 (Defense Contractors)
Three-year growth: 6029%
2004 revenue: $209.4 million
Employees: 69
Founded: 1997, Virginia Beach, Va.
What it does: Supplies body armor, helmets, and ballistic goggles to elite military combat units and federal agents.
Why it's growing: Having worked for both the government, where he learned to read proposals, and for Oracle, where he learned how companies create them, CEO Luke Hillier knows how to play the game.

James Evans
03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
I just hit reload a couple times when I woke up. I've coped with it for decades, I think I'll manage. Unless I need somebody to correct my medicine ball clean or sumo deadlift high pull form. I really need to find a way to do the latter without mucking up my shoulders...

Indeed. I think life can be pretty good without being lectured in training science by someone who should confine their online activity to the Seen in the globo gym thread.

James Evans
03-04-2010, 06:30 AM
The LLC attached to that business is in Hillier's name.

Hillier is a significant person, i.e. a CEO of a good sized defense contractor, and I imagine he possessed the legal clout to take care of business.

Even if CFHQ owned the equipment, there was a handshake deal with Hillier about the use of it. Taking it in the middle of the night without going through the motions may have significant legal repercussions.

Normally Glassman starts bigging up his legal counsel at this point, for example see Mark Twight intellectual property issues.

I notice a pattern there. Glassman goes online and like the demagogue he is, whips up a frenzy amongst the adoring masses often leading to an email hate campaign, all reported back in comments. This is all well and good when you're looking at some misguided PT who has called himself X Fit and is trying to make money across time and modal domains. A full inbox of grief from FRATBOY, Joey Abz and Scorpion Girl leads to a grovelling apology and problem solved.

But, and Robb pointed this out, he never did go after Mark Twight through legal channels. Why was that?

This looks serious. No doubt Glassman can afford a decent lawyer, preferably one who slips him a temazepam or two so he stays out of trouble.

Jonathan Yoon
03-04-2010, 07:40 AM
And the delete goes on...

Allison. Sorry but im a paid member. And those people at ADS didnt lose there free gym, the gym is still open to them and all the new equipment will be there tomorrow.

Comment #31 - Posted by: R at March 4, 2010 7:07 AM

And im posting unknown because i dont want to get dragged into all the BS. I am not taking anyones side, I am just an outsider looking in. I love you and B, but it seems like things could have been handled better, instead of leaving all of us in the dark. And as for HQ taking down all my comments, thats BS also. Im just calling it like i see it.

Comment #32 - Posted by: R at March 4, 2010 7:16 AM

Well where do I begin:

-I am not sure who can afford 125. per month, I can't so I was happy to go to a crossfit gym at 60.00 per month.

- the girl friend of the supposed owner/trainer Brenden was always in a bad mood, rude and unfriendly.

Those are professional notes:

On a personal note why I stopped working out there 6 months ago:

The girlfriend Alison? has a gut, & Brendan walks around with his lats stuck out like he is posing for a body building contest.

Could possible be the two most simple minded human beings I have ever meet.
CLOWNS, I will take the rec center, Cape Henry Park, the ocean all day long before I pay $125.00 per month to watch these two clowns talk about themselves.
Comment #31 - Posted by: Jake Katz at March 4, 2010 7:27 AM

And this wasn't deleted, possibly due to more positive comments on CrossFit Inc than against Luke Hillier. But it does explain the shots of ANYC in a pink bikini from awhile back.

Let me start by saying these are all just my opinions.

Brendan and Allison are some of the best coaches out there. Their passion for crossfit shows and thats what makes people fall in love with them. Brendan bleeds crossfit and Allision bleeds whatever she thinks Brendan would want her to.

Now a lot is being said about Luke Hillier. Douchebag? 110% I formulated this opinion as he drove his baby blue ferrari through the parking lot during the middle of everyones 400m sprints. As he rolled in to the gym with his fancy jeans and pink button downs and ripped his shirt off to get a couple of sets of ring dips in. As he continued to challenge the memebers of the gym to competitions when he clearly on the best HGH money could buy.

Crook? Thats a pretty bold statement. I think we all know you dont get rich with a crossfit gym. The guy is worth millions, I dont know how a Crossfit scheme came into his plans to take over the world. I do however know that he runs a very successful company based on custmoer serice which he built with lots of hardwork. He treats him employees better than anyone. So lets not hate on someone for being successful. Im sure he has flaws like everyone else but lets keep in mind Brendan and Allison didnt seem to notice as they hopped on his jet for their weekend getaways in the islands.

Regardless of whatever happened I just want everyone to know it was the members that lost. There is no way in hell anyone can justify the way things went down. The equipment was taken overnight! If it was clearly HQs(no lease, no agreements) I dont see why they couldnt have just given notice to the members and come and gotten their stuff back. All you crossfitters know this is more than just working out. Its a life style and a serious commitment. A lot of those people put their hearts and trust into this stuff only to have them broken. When this happened some of toughest women and men you have ever seen were reduced to tears. This was wrong.

I some good comes from all this in the end.

Long live crossfit.

Comment #32 - Posted by: Real Talk at March 4, 2010 7:27 AM

Mike Kerce
03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
then there's this...

http://allisonnyc.blogspot.com/2010/03/crossfit-obsession-is-no-more.html

James Evans
03-04-2010, 08:24 AM
And this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7wv_cOo-jZ0/SxwjfZ12F9I/AAAAAAAAAQE/1O0sQJr8gco/s400

Woa! Been hitting the slopes Greg?

Donald Lee
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Normally Glassman starts bigging up his legal counsel at this point, for example see Mark Twight intellectual property issues.

I notice a pattern there. Glassman goes online and like the demagogue he is, whips up a frenzy amongst the adoring masses often leading to an email hate campaign, all reported back in comments. This is all well and good when you're looking at some misguided PT who has called himself X Fit and is trying to make money across time and modal domains. A full inbox of grief from FRATBOY, Joey Abz and Scorpion Girl leads to a grovelling apology and problem solved.

But, and Robb pointed this out, he never did go after Mark Twight through legal channels. Why was that?

This looks serious. No doubt Glassman can afford a decent lawyer, preferably one who slips him a temazepam or two so he stays out of trouble.

Isn't Dale Saran CrossFit HQ's lawyer?

Wayne Riddle
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Isn't Dale Saran CrossFit HQ's lawyer?

Yes he is, and he has jumped into the fray.

Gant Grimes
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Otis and Tony Stark need to settle this in the cage.

Gant Grimes
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Let's keep the personal comments about the trainers out of this. However ridiculous HQ can be, Brendan and Allison didn't have financial or creative control of this deal.

Dominic Sirianni
03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I've met both those people, Brendan and Allison, and they were extremely nice and helpful to me.

Wayne Riddle
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Let's keep the personal comments about the trainers out of this. However ridiculous HQ can be, Brendan and Allison didn't have financial or creative control of this deal.

+1. I've had only experience with them and they seem nice enough.

Derek Weaver
03-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Would anyone be surprised if Dale Saran either isn't paid or is paid very little to be CF's legal counsel?

Yuen Sohn
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Otis and Tony Stark need to settle this in the cage.

Ha!

Jonathan Yoon
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
And CoreFit has locked their site down.

Jamie J. Skibicki
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I think otis vs his weight in fire ants would be more fun to watch.

Walter Ezell
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey dudes,

I'll start off by saying, I've atteneded CFO since their opening in June of last year and have worked behind the front desk for the past month or so.

Here is the jist of what happened. While I think it's unwise to give out certain details, I feel everyone deserves a good understanding of what happened as to keep the rumors out of the situation.

Brenden and Allison left CFO on their own accord, along with all of our crossfit trainers. Having talked to B&A personally, they felt that CFO was driving down the market value of xfit by having extremely low pricing ($60/m) and trying to get in as many members as possible, thus they took it as a personal attack on Crossfit, and Glassman (whom they consider to be a second dad). In their mind(s) the right thing to do, was shut down the gym, and start a new "more xfit" type of gym, with the right pricing and structure.

So, on a certain day, at a certain place, a certain number of people came in and reclaimed all of CFO's equipment (which was on lease to CFO from CFHQ and being paid for) under glassman's orders; effectively crumbleing CFO's ability to operate any sort of gym, much less a "Crossfit" gym.

Now, CFO has new equipment, but for the time being, is a private nonprofit gym open only to previous paying members, and their spouses; however, there are plans to open up the gym to the public in the future. (which is also why the website is private)

My thoughts:

Honestly, Allison and B are good people, I've known them for ~8 months give or take, and every impression I've ever gotten from them was good. They like helping people, (infact A is the one that recommended this site for my strength training) they absolutly bleed Crossfit, and their combined knowledge on physical fitness (be it nutrition, olympic weights, etc etc) is staggering.

However, I think they handled the situation entirely wrong. No matter how good their intentions, leaving ~450 members w/out any sort of equipment (even if it was just for a week) in entirely unexcusable. However; I'm the type of person that reads into both sides, and I can understand certain fears they may have had about the direction that CFO was going, but like I said. It could have been handled better.

Now, I know it sounds like I'm biased twords the CFO partners, but in all honesty, I'd like to keep my job for the time being, and I dont know them well enough as people to formulate a personal opinion. That, and they are corporate types, which I tend to disassociate with.

Hopefully that cleared up some things for yall. I appoligise for the longwinded post, and my horrible spelling.

-EZ

Wayne Riddle
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Walter. My only comment as an evil conservative capitalist is let the free market do its things. IF CFO wanted to charge $60 a month, that is their business decision to make It seemed to me there were plenty of other CF affiliates in the area so CFO charging $60 a month wasn't shutting anyone down.

A good question to ask is do you want 20 customers at $120 a month or 50 at $60 a month?

Allen Yeh
03-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the information....I guess I'm wondering why it's such blasphemy to want to be able to charge people a mere $60/month...as opposed to $100+/month?

Walter Ezell
03-12-2010, 12:11 PM
While priceing was one of the problems. It wasnt the only one. Being the lowly desk person that I am, I have no buisness meddleing in the affairs of CFO/Crossfit/Blaur Tactical and all of their bickerings between eachother. Ill leave it at that.

Ha, that wasnt bad for my first post. I gotta admit. :cool:

-EZ

Derek Weaver
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Again, like Allen and Wayne said, thanks for posting that information Walter.

I am confused though how this whole open source, free market, libertarian approach to fitness can have such a crazy amount of control from HQ and not be considered a franchise.

Walter Ezell
03-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I think my friend Dan (whom I started xfit with) said it well. When I told him that an affiliate can charge whatever they want and do pretty much what they please....as long as they pay the affiliate fee of $2k every year, he replyed "sounds kind of like a pyramid sceme doesnt it?"

My guess Derek, is a lawyer, some fancy wording, and plenty of loop-holes.

Jonathan Yoon
03-12-2010, 01:47 PM
While priceing was one of the problems. It wasnt the only one.

We'd figure as much. Doesn't take a genius to figure that this goes beyond pricing since we can easily assume that CFO was paying the bills to CFHQ for the affiliation. We can also assume that these issues also went on for some time before they came to a head and had a repo-truck that went along with it.

Derek Weaver
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I think my friend Dan (whom I started xfit with) said it well. When I told him that an affiliate can charge whatever they want and do pretty much what they please....as long as they pay the affiliate fee of $2k every year, he replyed "sounds kind of like a pyramid sceme doesnt it?"

My guess Derek, is a lawyer, some fancy wording, and plenty of loop-holes.

Wow.

Walter Ezell
03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow.

Clarify?

Derek Weaver
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Clarify?

Just surprising when what sounds like a relative new comer to the Kool Aid recognizes that.

It took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.

It started with the injuries and complete lack of strength, then I gradually grew suspicious, and now I am completely on the other side.

Walter Ezell
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Lol, well thanks....I like to think of it as...."expanding my fitness horizons" :D

Edit: I do like me some Kool Aid though. Cherry. Grape is for pansys.

Jonathan Yoon
03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
So now that there is "The REAL CrossFit Obsession", the question begs:

Is "The REAL CrossFit Obsession" apart of the CF, Inc.?

The business license under the name CrossFit Obsession still has Luke as the owner and the domain name owner is being protected from whois searches. The affiliates page does not have them listed for Virginia Beach like the rest of the affiliates. The only thing that makes sense is that this gym is CrossFit Corporate owned and appears to be exempt of all the rules that paying affiliates have to go through. Makes you wonder if other affiliates will get the same protective treatment if their boxes were to go under. No one protected CrossFit Staten Island when the owner had to shut down.

Derek Weaver
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
My guess is that someone is going to get really PISSED in the Virginia Beach area since the two trainers got a new box full of toys with no personal financial risk, while everyone else took out loans to outfit their gyms and has to pay $2k/year.

I seriously doubt that any other CF Affiliate will be protected if something similar happens.