PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil Cancer and PCB's

Dominic Sirianni
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Anyone following this lawsuit about fish oil and PCB's?

http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2010/03/lawsuit_claims_pcbs_in_fish_oil_supplements_people _take_for_omega-3_benefits.html

Garrett Smith
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Seriously. This is a major reason not to buy dirt-cheap fish oil. I was told most of the cheap stuff is coming from China from someone who was trying to get into the fish oil business.

I'd rather take less fish oil and pay more to a company I am pretty dang sure is actually cleaning the fish oil like they say they are. Or do guaranteed toxin-free DHA from algae.

Dominic Sirianni
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Any suggestions on finding out what fish oil is decent and what is not?

Garrett Smith
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Easy suggestions, no.

Brands that have been around a long time, are not the cheapest out there, and definitely ARE NOT available at your local mega-chain pharmacy would be a good start though.

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I eat more sardines and herring and ditched grain fed beef....I'll take my chances there.

Jay Guindon
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I use a company called Omega Sufficiency. They publish their 3rd party testing results so you can see the toxin score. It's one of the lowest in the biz.

Dominic Sirianni
03-10-2010, 06:05 AM
I avoid the grain fed beef as much as possible too. I am going to check for that company. Thanks!

Gary Ohm
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I eat more sardines and herring and ditched grain fed beef....I'll take my chances there.

I love sardines too. I buy them by the case. But I also been reading that those little buggers accumulate nasty stuff at an alarming rate. I don't know what the answer is, I don't eat shark or swordfish or any of the big hitters, but it seems like evrything is storing up mercury and PCB and ect....

Garrett Smith
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I love sardines too. I buy them by the case. But I also been reading that those little buggers accumulate nasty stuff at an alarming rate. I don't know what the answer is, I don't eat shark or swordfish or any of the big hitters, but it seems like evrything is storing up mercury and PCB and ect....
This is exactly why I'm leaning towards algae-derived DHA.

Jay Guindon
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Isn't EPA very important as well?
As far as heavy metals go, according to Robb Wolf they don't accumulate in the fat, they accumulate in the protein. PCBs on the other hand do accumulate in fat so be worried about pesticides in the fish then the heavy metals.

Garrett Smith
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Actually, from what I've seen in the research, EPA appears to be the complete culprit behind the "negatives" associated with fish oil (bleeding times, immune suppression, look it up), while the body seems to have no problem converting DHA to EPA as necessary.

Jay Guindon
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I thought it was EPA that was responsible for the anti-inflammatory benefits of fish oil? I thought DHA was just a bonus as it's good for the brain. Maybe it was Barry Sears who said EPA is highly anti-inflammatory...but that guy is also full of it so....

Jay Guindon
03-10-2010, 10:59 PM
There is actually a lot of info out there on DHA being the anti-inflammatory and not the EPA...that is indeed some food for thought...I would also like to ask Robb about this. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jay Guindon
03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
For those still interested in this question, especially the OP, I asked Robb this question and he answered it in the latest podcast. First question, first answer, episode 20.
For those who don't want to listen the short was that EPAs immune supressing effects are actually in a good way and stop the body from over reacting to every little thing and thus creating less inflammation, but not compromising the immune system in an way. Regarding the DHA from algae he said it is a total and viable option if you are worried about pesticides.