PDA

View Full Version : Not too shaby for a CrossFitter?

Pierre Auge
02-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Hey you know for a guy who trains himself via video and from a country known for being crappy at it. I don't think I'm doing too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0daUGAM8Qmc

P.S. I'm talking about the snatch.

Nick Cummings
02-18-2007, 06:22 AM
"The video you have requested is not available."

Omg fix the link! I need a fix!

Pierre Auge
02-18-2007, 12:23 PM
it works just fine now

Nick Cummings
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice lifts, nice gym, and nice music. Why the slight step after most of your extensions to a full stance? I notice it does not happen as often in your overhead squat reps.

Robb Wolf
02-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Pierre-
Looks good amigo. I'd like to see your shoulders more engaged...up higher in the ears.

Good stuff!

Pierre Auge
02-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Robb,
I'm trying dude. I only just started using a much wider snatch grip which has exposed a bit of weakness but has improved efficiency. So I'm going to keep working with these weights and go up gradually.

With the narrow grip I could get under my own bodyweight without much problem. I could not support it though. With the wide grip I can get under it even easier but my shoulders aren't used to the position. Make sense? Shoulder strength is my big issue right now. If I can get my shoulders to support what I can get overhead than I will actually be competitive to some degree.

Nick it happens because I am driving up from the hips rather than driving thru the heels when I stand up, which messes up my balance. Thanks Coach B. for pointing that out.

Greg Everett
02-18-2007, 07:09 PM
hips are coming up too high--you get super low with that active start, but then they shoot up almost as high as your shoulders before the bumpers even come off the floor. You can get away with that for a while, but as the weight gets heavier, it will really start pulling you forward. it also tends to encourage unstableness overhead. try getting into a static start position with the hips a little higher than the knees and keeping that back angle the same until the legs are fully extended.

Steve Shafley
02-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Nice practice, Pierre. Looking crisp.

Pierre Auge
02-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Greg,
been spending some time with Coach B have you? He said the very same thing. I also think you're only watching the first few singles. Step forward in the vid to the last few after I noticed it myself. Tell me if you think my hips are still coming too high because I realized it and it made a difference I'm just not sure how much.

Will try starting from a low static position tonight during practice.

Shitty thing is the only two people who know anything about Weightlifting within a 5 hour drive both work at this gym and we both work off shifts from each other. Correcting myself with video gets annoying, though I really appreciate all of your comments.

Greg Everett
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
yes, i only had time to watch the first few. i'll watch the rest. i have a bad habit of commenting before i should...

Greg Everett
02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
OK - your hip position definitely improves later in the video. I would encourage trying a static start instead of the dynamic though for now until you get that totally consistent. But I'm a conservative weinie.

Other than that, your snatch looks pretty damn good. Bar is staying close, coming into the hips nice and high, etc. On the OHS, though, watch out for pushing your hips back. I know you dig Rip, as do I, but his approach to back squatting does not jive well with O squats. Push the hips in under the shoulders instead.

As far as the pre-snatch hairballs... Not sure what to say. I think YOU need to give us the explanation to that one.

Pierre Auge
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
LOL I knew you were going to mention that.

I don't do it all the time. I've been having a
hard time staying tight on lift off so I've been
playing with a bit of systema breathing which
I haven't touched for about a year. My breathing
technique is off so rather than the nice smooth
exhalations followed by progressive muscle contraction
that I have been going for I sound like a cat coughing
up a hairball.

Not flattering I know, I'm trying to sort it out!

Allison Barns
02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I thought the hairball thing was the sophisticated Canadian variation on the usual grunts and hacks :D

Pierre Auge
02-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Or what Allison said!

Pierre Auge
02-25-2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_71gnSQsCo

update

Allen Yeh
02-26-2007, 05:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_71gnSQsCo

update

I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day now!

Pierre Auge
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
What? Its a good song!!!

Pierre Auge
03-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Snatch Grip Deadlifts from Blocks! Incrementally increasing in height.

Started at 135 and went up to 225, my grip was fried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poU_iYRrAH0

Allen Yeh
03-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Johnny Cash, John Meyer, Disturbed, Eminem

Other than obeserving your odd progressioin of music....it seemed like you didn't come to full extension a few times as the weight got heavier?

Pierre Auge
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Allen,
the weight was the same the during the entire video! I was increasing in height, look at my feet... And I only chose to extend for the very last few reps..

Finally I can get my fix on the PMenu forum weird that it kicks out every once in a while for me. Just my host provider I guess!