PDA

View Full Version : Beer or ?????

Steve Forman
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I know the short answer will be, If your drinking then drink and dont worry about it. That said, I was still hoping to see what you thought.

Ultimate goal, is I need to loose some LB's. But I dont want to give up all the drinking. I still enjoy it with friends. (social thing) Keep in mind I only having say 3 drinks the whole evening.

Lately, when I choose to drink, Should I drink beer or stick to my Captain and Coke or diet Coke. I want to be gluten free so the beer is an issue there. But then I switched back to captain and coke and every time I do, I wake up the next morning very swollen in the fingers, feeling very bloated. I dont get that same reaction when drinking beer.

I havent tried just sticking to red wine for the evening. Wonder if thats a better solution.

Any thoughts.... What do you drink?? Do you have a similar issue with the coke or diet coke??

Wayne Riddle
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
3 drinks in a night now and then shouldn't hurt you. I wouldn't worry if it was beer or what, just don't mix anything but a splash of water with your whiskey, neat if at all possible. :D

When I drink it will be red wine, beer (usually an IPA or stout), or whiskey (neat).

Garrett Smith
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Gluten-free beer (RedBridge is one of the few).
High-quality tequila.
Organic red wine.

Those are my choices.

Mike ODonnell
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
It's not the 3 beers making you put on fat....its the 20 wings you eat because you are drinking! :)

Then again if your glass is 40oz then there might be issues as well.

Guinness....always a winner in my book.

or just do a couple shots of tequila....

Dave Van Skike
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
It's not the 3 beers making you put on fat....its the 20 wings you eat because you are drinking! :)

Then again if your glass is 40oz then there might be issues as well.

Guinness....always a winner in my book.

or just do a couple shots of tequila....

120 kcal per 12oz. guinness is light beer, one per day, applied nighly, ...this has kept my killing urges at bay.

one the flipside..if you need to gain weight..two words: guinness float. i'm not even kidding, wrong as it is, mexican chocolate pairs well.

Derek Weaver
04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Don't worry about it. It's 3 drinks.

Plus, it sounds like you've got less of a problem with whatever gluten is in the beer than you do from the rum and coke. Caffeine, hfcs, and whatever comes along with a booze from sugarcane.

Drink the beer, then crush the can on your forehead.

Chris Forbis
04-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Gluten-free beer (RedBridge is one of the few).
High-quality tequila.
Organic red wine.

Those are my choices.

I would add quality (alcoholic) cider to this list. JK's Scrumpy comes to mind.

Duke McCall
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Guinness float . . . . I do not know whether to retch or drool, but it just made my bucket list.

Garrett Smith
04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Guinness float . . . . I do not know whether to retch or drool, but it just made my bucket list.
Four Peaks Brewery Oatmeal Stout Shake...one of my favorites. Look to upper left corner of the menu. (http://fourpeaks.com/media/images/menu/Web_Menu_SCOTTSDALE_Page_5.jpg)

I'm not personally a Guinness fan, but I will say that dark beer plus ice cream is very tasty.

Derek Simonds
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I am making a Guiness Float this weekend. High quality Tequila is always the answer for me. Pricey but good.

Martinis are a great social drink and I agree with the whiskey on the rocks or neat. Either one is easy to hold on to and usually not drink it too fast.

Pat Janes
04-13-2010, 04:02 PM
hmmm... food for thought... I've still got half a case of young's double chocolate stout at home and I *love* vanilla ice-cream, so I'll be giving this float idea a go.

Garrett Smith
04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
The recipe for the shake is supposed to be a 1:1 beer-to-icecream ratio...I think more ice cream is necessary for proper thickness. Just an FYI for those who might try both.

Oh yeah, you need to freeze the glass, that helps a lot (with the float or the shake).

Scott Kustes
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
My choices:
Bourbon, on the rocks (good bourbon, like Woodford Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle, etc). I'm from Kentucky, it's in my blood.
Vodka and club soda - either with a couple slices of lime or use infused vodkas. Very light, summery type beverage.
Red wine
Occasional good tequila - Herradura, Patron, etc. El Jimador with juice from half a lime and a club soda on the rocks is delicious.
Very occasional beer. More than a couple makes my stomach hate me.

Key to my liquor consumption is the lack of mixers other than a rare mojito when I go to our killer Cuban place. The only calories are from the alcohol, which is 7 cal per g, if you care about calories...~25g per oz of alcohol, so an 80-proof liquor is .6 g of alcohol per 1.5 oz shot, or 105 calories per shot.

Yes, I know a lot about alcohol...it's part of my job. ;-)

Scott Kustes
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Mmm...beer shake. Young's Double Chocolate and a pint of Ben and Jerry's organic vanilla.