PDA

View Full Version : fish oil, poop

Jeff Yan
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Is fish oil known for having any particular effect on stool?

Garrett Smith
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Mainly if you take it on an empty stomach and/or have trouble digesting fats.

Jeff Yan
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't take it every day, but when I do, it's with a meal and I take 2 x 1000 mg's at a time. I haven't exceeded 4 capsules in a day. The recommendation on the bottle is 3 daily, 1 with each meal.

I haven't yet noticed any anomalies when consuming high concentrations of other fats/oils though.

Joe Hart
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
For lack of a better term...It has made my poop fluffy and float on the surface of the water. Other than that nothing. I think there is a thread WAY back about almost the same thing.

Jeff Yan
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
For lack of a better term...It has made my poop fluffy and float on the surface of the water. Other than that nothing. I think there is a thread WAY back about almost the same thing.

I just did a quick thread title search on "fish oil" and didn't see anything that appeared to be about stool.

I believe I've read that floaters are indicative of higher fat content, so what you're experiencing would be consistent with that.

Anyway, I'm more talking along the lines of firmness/squirtiness, although this may simply be a more extreme degree on the same scale of fluffy texture.

Derek Weaver
04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend it, but people who have high dosed fish oil tend to note that it'll make you a bit "runny".

I used to push fish oil fairly high, at least by my standards @ 10-15 1 gram caps/day, and didn't have any issues though.

Rasmus Thomsen
05-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Whenever I tried 15-20g I got really nasty diarrhea, but that was done in only 2 servings, now I'm back to 10g and may try upping the doses but spread out over the day.

Matthias Becker
05-13-2010, 04:42 AM
I've noticed absolutely no difference.

Chris Butler
05-13-2010, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't recommend it, but people who have high dosed fish oil tend to note that it'll make you a bit "runny".

This happen to me. I eat a LOT of salmon as well as take the pills.

Brandon Oto
05-13-2010, 08:19 AM
High fat content in general gives you runny shit. You get used to it.

Gavin Harrison
05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Dan John has written a few times that fish oil is "self regulating", because you'll stop taking as much when you get a little runny ;p

Garrett Smith
05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
High fat content in general gives you runny shit. You get used to it.
Raising fish oil to where one has consistently runny stools means that one is wasting money on fish oil that's going straight to the toilet.

If runny stools happen easily with relatively minor increases in fat intake, there's a gallbladder/bile issue.

Patrick Skinner
05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
What do you mean by gallbladder issue? Is this something common with increased fat intake?

Garrett Smith
05-14-2010, 05:57 AM
No, it's common with gluten intolerance and nightshade sensitivity.

Steven Low
05-14-2010, 10:13 AM
No, it's common with gluten intolerance and nightshade sensitivity.
I believe it's also pretty common if you're switching over from low quality foods to higher quality foods (aka processed to real foods).

Likely due to the same factors as you mentioned though.

Some people I've talked to and I have had some problems dosing the fish oil and intestinal problems when starting to eat more healthily. Probably due to the existing gut flora (which is obviously poor b/c of the processed foods) not liking our food choices + fish oil.

Garrett Smith
05-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I believe it's also pretty common if you're switching over from low quality foods to higher quality foods (aka processed to real foods).

Likely due to the same factors as you mentioned though.

Some people I've talked to and I have had some problems dosing the fish oil and intestinal problems when starting to eat more healthily. Probably due to the existing gut flora (which is obviously poor b/c of the processed foods) not liking our food choices + fish oil.
If starting to eat healthily also includes significant increases in their plant fiber consumption, I'd look there first. Especially with just "normal" diarrhea type symptoms.

If there is froth or an oil slick on the toilet water, it's definitely the excess fat.

Blair Lowe
05-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Dr. G, one thing I was wondering about. My mom just had her gallbladder taken out because of gallstones. I was against the idea and pro the idea of her changing her diet but too late now.

She told me she isn't supposed to eat anything fatty anymore. Does that mean a person without a gallbladder cannot take fish oil?

I had given her and my stepdad a huge bottle for christmas with the hopes they would start taking it.

Honestly, I take 6-9g afternoon and night, typically with milk or food. I'm not megadosing any more but I've thought about it. That's roughly 3g of EPA/DHA a day. I should probably take more.

And I just used the can and it wasn't runny at all. TG for veggies to go with all the meat I eat. (milk, eggs, bacon, hamburger).

Garrett Smith
05-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Blair,
People (mostly women) who have their gallbladder removed often don't do well with eating fatty foods, that is true.

However, their gallbladder issue was not likely caused by eating too much fat. As Robb Wolf and I have noticed, gallbladders go bad in people with gluten intolerances quite often.

The key idea is that not having a gallbladder does not exempt one from the fact that the body still needs ESSENTIAL (key word there) fatty acids. Their inability to digest them well is the problem.

Supplemental ox bile will solve the problem. Honestly, I think removing someone's gallbladder and not recommending supplemental ox bile (or big doses of lipase) is tantamount to malpractice.

One thing you might tell her that could change her view. I consistently see patients who have had their gallbladder out (and don't supplement afterward) gain major amounts of weight after the surgery...and the timing never seems to be "coincidental".

Blair Lowe
05-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow, Garrett. My mom is already overweight. A lot of stems from bad knees right now but I'd say mostly lots of f'n carbs called white rice. Rice and potatoes, I was like wtf when I was down there a month ago. Add that to not enough activity over a long period of time.

Yep, I thought it was pretty stupid too.

I will tell her about the ox bile and lipase.

Garrett Smith
05-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Blair,
If she wants to use the stuff I recommend, feel free to PM me.

Rasmus Thomsen
05-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Just a note here, after I started spreading fish oil out over the day in smaller doses with meals I've had no problems at all and I'm now increasing doses towards 15g which before meant fishy diarrea.....

Blair Lowe
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
to note, ingestion of large amounts of fat can loosen things up very quickly.

think 15g of fish oil. bingo.

Leela Seville
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I've been taking fish oil pills for a few years now and although it has a fishy after taste, it hasn't effected my stool at all. I have heard of people complaining that it, kind of, irritates their stomach, but I haven't had any sort of problems. Perhaps nausea at times -- that's related to the stomach. lol.