PDA

View Full Version : Grains as Food: an Update

Wayne Riddle
04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Stephan Guyenet's latest blog post (http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/03/grains-as-food-update.html)

What I didn't know at the time is that a follow-up study has been published. After mathematically "adjusting" for preexisting conditions and medication use, the result reached statistical significance: people who increased their grain fiber intake had more heart attacks than people who didn't during the two years of the controlled trial. Overall mortality was higher as well, but that didn't reach statistical significance. You have to get past the abstract of the paper to realize this, but fortunately it's free access (2).

Darryl Shaw
04-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Wayne,

I'm unable to read the full text of the study at the moment* so perhaps you could answer this for me; did they factor in the extra 3-6g/d of salt these men would be getting from all that bread? If they didn't then the conclusion that increased grain consumption increases mortality is seriously flawed.

* I've got no home internet at the moment and I can only get away with doing so much at my local Apple store.