PDA

View Full Version : How do you test whether your "arteries are clogged"

Jane Michel
05-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Okay don't laugh :|

I am getting lots of flak at home for eating lots of meat, whole eggs and drinking coconut milk.

Went for a blood test a few years ago and results were good - trigs below 50, LDL within OK range, HDL quite high.

But my mother says that someone from her church was boasting he had good cholesterol etc and then had to go for heart bypass. She says the blood results don't show whether your arteries are clogged.

Is there some test (besides an X-ray) to show or indicate such things!? I just want to bury this matter at home and not have to hear about it again.

Garrett Smith
05-08-2010, 07:54 AM
One method that is pretty widely available is carotid ultrasound (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carotid-ultrasound/my00077).

Mike ODonnell
05-08-2010, 08:23 AM
But my mother says that someone from her church was boasting he had good cholesterol etc and then had to go for heart bypass. She says the blood results don't show whether your arteries are clogged.

People tend to exaggerate and not tell all the facts on their health and what they eat in the first place.....plus standard cholesterol #s won't show a difference between the density of those cholesterol particles (as the big fluffy are good....and the smaller dense ones are bad). I bet that person also ate lots of whole wheat and cereal for their health too.....and look where it got them.

Steven Low
05-08-2010, 08:32 AM
People tend to exaggerate and not tell all the facts on their health and what they eat in the first place.....plus standard cholesterol #s won't show a difference between the density of those cholesterol particles (as the big fluffy are good....and the smaller dense ones are bad). I bet that person also ate lots of whole wheat and cereal for their health too.....and look where it got them.
Yep.

If you have a huge LDL number, but all of them are flulffy they you're golden.

But if you have a medium number and they're all small dense and oxidized, and you're continually bombing the grains, carbs, and processed oils.... then you're in trouble.

Jane Michel
05-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Yeah agreed...
Problem is that my mother believes in low fat and thinks that whole wheat brown rice is good and that the government is right (big sigh). She ordered me to go for the blood test and even though the results are good she still believes that I'm going to get heart disease from all the fat and meat intake. The only thing that might change her opinion is if I can show that my arteries are not clogged like she thinks they are.

Frank Needham
05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
left arm going numb, that may be a hint something is up...

Jane Michel
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM
left arm going numb, that may be a hint something is up...

Ok I guess there isn't any other way to tell :confused: lol

Jay Cohen
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Move out

Craig Brown
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Alicia, my Dr. is on board with that shit, so I understand. I told him he could make my insurance cover the VAP test or stop talking to me about it- literally everything else is conventionally awesome- Vit. D, C reactive protein, HDL, Trigs... you can't convince someone of something they refuse to believe. Good luck.