PDA

View Full Version : A Leangains Transformation

Steve Shafley
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
From the Leangains blog.

230ish

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dtaWqzV6d7M/S-QDnGa0VhI/AAAAAAAAAmo/nd8X2M6LbiU/s320/DaveDisneyPic.jpg

to

162ish
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dtaWqzV6d7M/S-QEGjWmcgI/AAAAAAAAAmw/gxSHAdsVUL8/s320/DaveGerczak050110.JPG

Dave G

Dave Gerczak, successful entrepreneur and founder of the large online watch store Watchco, has made a complete body transformation.

I'll quote from Dave's write-up at bodybuilding.com.

"I found Martin Berkhan on this very thread sometime in February of 2009. I contacted him and started with him officially on March 9, 2009. My weight was 230.8 at that time, having lost 4 pounds while waiting for his routine. I turn 39 in two weeks.

I stopped taking progress pics, as I get really busy with work in November/December, traveled a lot for work in January and was more or less just lazy with pics. However, I kept on LeanGains the whole time, but could have lost the weight faster with less travel, less work and better diet adherence. Oh yeah, it was football season, so I had to drink once a week, right? Either way, I really bore down in March and April, and finished on May 1st.

Total weight lost on LeanGains cut, 69.4 lbs in 13 months, 21 days. Bodyfat percentage from 25% to approx 7% (according to Martin). Needless to say, I am a very satisfied client. I love intermittent fasting, love Martin's program and guidance, and anyone that has doubts can just look at the results."

- Dave G

Overall, Dave also managed to gain strength during the diet. His squat increased by approximately 40 lbs and deadlift and chins went through the roof.

I should note that these results could have been obtained faster. As Dave got busy with work and travelling there were months that more or less became diet breaks. I think Dave's close to 6% body fat in these pics, but he has some skin issues obscuring the lower abs which might give the impression that he's higher. His shredded obliques and serratus tells a different story.

Geoffrey Thompson
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Good for him in hitting his goals, but I hope his next goal is to eat a cheeseburger and gain 20-40#. And smile.

Donald Lee
05-10-2010, 02:20 PM
I posted a comment questioning whether some of these guys were glycogen depleted a while ago, but it never got through moderation...

I find Teddy S.'s weight loss to be insane. 3.5 lb loss/week with strength gains. Maybe he has crazy water fluctuations.

Garrett Smith
05-10-2010, 02:38 PM
The sunken cheeks and sullen face say it all.

Chris Forbis
05-11-2010, 04:20 AM
He also lost 20 pounds of LBM.

Donald Lee
05-11-2010, 04:32 AM
He also lost 20 pounds of LBM.

Since he got stronger, he probably did not lose much muscle. He probably lost some connective tissue and water.

Jane Michel
05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Dave G said on the bodybuilding.com thread:

I got dehydrated to bring out the muscle, which is why I was 161.4. My actual non-dehydrated weight right now is about 164-165, so it was about 15 more pounds I lost.
The last month though, I was killing it, because Martin said he wanted to do a client update with me included at the end of April/early May. Doing 90 minutes to 2 hours of walking a day, diet was dead on, no drinking. That was the motivation I needed.

Whole series of transformation pictures and additional comments here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831&page=200

Darren Reed
05-23-2010, 07:35 PM
The Skeletor look isnt really for me (cant see him getting through a rugby match/fight/race at that weight!!) but gotta give respect to him for the discipline and ability to stick to the plan he showed. Martin over at Leangains seems to know his stuff. I notice he says on the board above that he is planning to now add some muscle mass, be interesting to see him in a few months post that.

Gant Grimes
05-24-2010, 08:21 AM
There's something to be said for making and hitting your goals. In this case, I'm just not sure what it is.

Emily Mattes
05-25-2010, 08:53 PM
He's way more attractive in the first picture.

Gavin Harrison
05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Impressive weight loss, he looks like he could enter a BBing contest. Probably lose, since his arms/shoulders are way ahead of the rest of his body, but still...

David Boyle
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I think being shredded is an addiction.

That's what keeps these guys going.

I wanna lean out, but I don't want to sacrifice being able to move and/or move people in the process:)

Kevin Perry
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.leangains.com/

Look at the newer post about the guy in his 30's. The transformation is interesting but I have a little issue with him calling his before physique "FAT".

Derek Weaver
07-08-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.leangains.com/

Look at the newer post about the guy in his 30's. The transformation is interesting but I have a little issue with him calling his before physique "FAT".

Body dysmorphia is real.

Peter Ondras
07-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I had to re-read that part several times to be sure they were referring to that pic saying he was fat. He didn't look fat at all, on the contrary, strong, healthy and ideal to me.

Derek Weaver
07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
That wasn't Martin calling him fat, I think it was the client calling himself fat.

15-16% bf isn't my ideal body composition for myself, but regardless, the self image was different than what we all were seeing.

Maybe has something to do with his 30th birthday I'd guess.