PDA

View Full Version : Overreaching/overtraining?

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Last week was a rest week for me because I was feeling worn out. I've never paid much attention to my pulse until I realized near the end of my rest week that when lying in bed, going to sleep / waking up, my heart rate had become noticeably lower.

Anyway, today was 5/3/1 bench day, so I finished my bench (within a rep or two of failure) and did 3 x 5 weighted chin-ups at a weight that was really tough for me. Felt kind of wiped afterwards, so I rested for a while.

For the next 15 minutes my heart rate was 110-120 and didn't look like it was about to drop any. And this was after 3 x 5 weighted chin-ups with plenty of rest. Not some metcon deal.

Anyway, I said fuck it, and did my short metcon. Grace. Which felt even crappier than usually.

Couple of minutes later, my heart rate was 120.

Right now, typing this, about an hour and a half later, my heart rate is ~100.

Should I be worried about this or is this normal? Seems a little fucked up to me.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
It's still 100. Another hour later.

Dave Van Skike
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
relax.

Greg Everett
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyway, I said fuck it, and did my short metcon. Grace.

I found the problem.

Steve Shafley
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Lyle McDonald's series on overtraining and overreaching is worth a look.

Steven Low
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Lyle McDonald's series on overtraining and overreaching is worth a look.
I second that.

When in doubt though take some more rest days.

Do mobility or prehab work instead of working out. Sometimes prehab/mobility tends to be better (or rather more useful) than working out anyway..

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I found the problem.
Yeah... Sometimes you know exactly how stupid what you're doing is, but you still just keep on going.

Anyway. My heart rate was down to 57ish this morning so I'm not really worried. I used to be at 48-50ish. But that was a while ago and I was probably just in better "shape."

And thanks for the recommendations. I'll be spending the next hour or two, reading all 7 parts.