05-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Andy Bolton 432.5 kg Raw Deadlift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scsiEkEGHG4

Allen Yeh
05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
He makes that look so easy.

Derek Simonds
05-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Flabbergasted. Seriously he looked like it was a warm up weight. I wish I looked that damn daisy fresh after a max attempt.

Donald Lee
05-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Looks like he's going to win the deadlift challenge.

If you haven't heard of it, here's some stuff on it:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14550

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14570

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14577

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-2011-Andy-Bolton-King-of-Kings-Deadlift-Challenge/491404520463#!/pages/The-2011-Andy-Bolton-King-of-Kings-Deadlift-Challenge/491404520463?v=wall

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
What I find most amazing about Andy is that he rarely pulls over 350 off the floor in training. He does heavy rack work and power cleans; but saves the 400+ pulls for the meets. That, to me, shows a lot of confidence and experience with maximal loads. Absolutely phenominal.

All the best,
Arden

Robert Callahan
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
What a monster human being

Denver Buchanan
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Wow, this could be fun to watch. I don't think anyone can top Bolton, but you never know.

Hopefully they will do the competition raw. Belt only.

Gant Grimes
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
What I find most amazing about Andy is that he rarely pulls over 350 off the floor in training. He does heavy rack work and power cleans; but saves the 400+ pulls for the meets. That, to me, shows a lot of confidence and experience with maximal loads. Absolutely phenominal.

All the best,
Arden

When you get into the BIG numbers (over 600 lbs.), how much weight do you have to add for it to "feel" different? Does 725 feel a lot different than 700? For me, everything from 400-500 feels the same.

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
When you get into the BIG numbers (over 600 lbs.), how much weight do you have to add for it to "feel" different? Does 725 feel a lot different than 700? For me, everything from 400-500 feels the same.

You make a very good point.

To me, 650 feels the same as 750. The bar does not feel immovable until it gets over 800, but then once I rack pull it, I can move it from the floor. Even though I have no incentive, at this time, to consider doing it.

I believe that once you "groove" a weight, it can be pulled. Andy's partial work speaks volume to that fact. Absolutley amazing what this man can do.

All the best,
Arden

Patrick Donnelly
05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Holy moly...

However, I think Konstantinovs put up a 939lb raw pull (no belt) nearly a year ago, so unless he's had some sort of injury since then, he could possibly beat Bolton.

Darren Reed
05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Gant, agreed. Once you get past a certain point, ts all just DAMN HEAVY. Having said that, surely a 600 pull has gotta feel different to a 500 in some way!

Alex Bond
05-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Wow, this could be fun to watch. I don't think anyone can top Bolton, but you never know.

Hopefully they will do the competition raw. Belt only.

They've already said that it will be geared.

David Boyle
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Awesome lift...made it look easy

Would love to see that competition...

I think Konstantinovs 55 kipping pullups are more impressive in my opinion....considering he pulled 939lbs raw w/o a belt...and he has definition...not 90's abs either...lol

When is this supposed to take place...didn't have time to read through it all.

Arden Cogar Jr.
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Gant, agreed. Once you get past a certain point, ts all just DAMN HEAVY. Having said that, surely a 600 pull has gotta feel different to a 500 in some way!

It's all relative. To be frank, I can't tell a difference between 495 and 585. But once I get over 650, that's when I have to start overly exerting myself. I do a lot of rep work with weights between 500 and low 600s. That's the likely reason for that feeling.

I do have to say that the first time I rack pulled over 900 it was what I would consider a "religious experience." Very similar to the demerol I got when I got snipped. Room started spinning, objects appeared closer than they actually were, and I truly didn't mind seeing smoke fuming up from my junk. :D

all the best, Arden

Gant Grimes
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
That's what I figured, Arden. I just can't relate to those numbers. I used to approach a bar and think about the weight. Then I thought about it again when I felt it on my back or off the floor. That's not good for the mind. Now I know it's going to be heavy and pull/press/squat the thing same as any other day. It goes, or it doesn't.

That's pretty ballsy that Bolton doesn't pull much more than 350 in training. Hopefully those rack pulls and power cleans are really heavy, or I'll have to reexamine some of my opinions about how to train DL.

Jon Sikes
05-27-2010, 08:59 AM
That's what I figured, Arden. I just can't relate to those numbers. I used to approach a bar and think about the weight. Then I thought about it again when I felt it on my back or off the floor. That's not good for the mind. Now I know it's going to be heavy and pull/press/squat the thing same as any other day. It goes, or it doesn't.

That's pretty ballsy that Bolton doesn't pull much more than 350 in training. Hopefully those rack pulls and power cleans are really heavy, or I'll have to reexamine some of my opinions about how to train DL.

Mike Tuchscherer's approach is quite different from Bolton's. He's not at Bolton's level yet, but I believe his max is around 850 @ 275.

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/blogs/userblog/63

He pulls heavy, near max, A LOT.

What I get out of it is: If you want to be good at X do X. (Want to deadlift a lot, deadlift a lot)

Tuchscherer's deliberate, highly planned, focused lifting resonates with me. I don't like the uncertainty in Bolton's approach. But it works for him, I guess ;)

Donald Lee
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Mike Tuchscherer's approach is quite different from Bolton's. He's not at Bolton's level yet, but I believe his max is around 850 @ 275.

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/blogs/userblog/63

He pulls heavy, near max, A LOT.

What I get out of it is: If you want to be good at X do X. (Want to deadlift a lot, deadlift a lot)

Tuchscherer's deliberate, highly planned, focused lifting resonates with me. I don't like the uncertainty in Bolton's approach. But it works for him, I guess ;)

That's not entirely true.

Mike T. utilizes block periodization. He does maximal weights often when he's in his Realization Block, which is before competition. I haven't followed his training closely, but I think he doesn't do much speed work. In his manual, he reserves speed work for short Transition Blocks.

He does some other weird stuff in other blocks, like pausing deadlifts where he pauses for 1-3 seconds a few inches after pulling off the ground and then finishes the pull. I think this would be very helpful for Emily regarding her mid-back rounding issue.

Jon Sikes
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
That's not entirely true.

Mike T. utilizes block periodization. He does maximal weights often when he's in his Realization Block, which is before competition. I haven't followed his training closely, but I think he doesn't do much speed work. In his manual, he reserves speed work for short Transition Blocks.

He does some other weird stuff in other blocks, like pausing deadlifts where he pauses for 1-3 seconds a few inches after pulling off the ground and then finishes the pull. I think this would be very helpful for Emily regarding her mid-back rounding issue.

Quibbling over details of another man's training on the internet seems goofy, to put it mildly, but I suppose that's why we're on message boards.

It's not entirely true, in that I didn't describe every aspect of his training, but it was, I thought, a useful illustration of a vastly different training style from Andy Bolton's. He goes way closer to his max way more frequently than Bolton.

I didn't bring up speed work. I agree that he definitely doesn't use/recommend it much.

The variables of the exercise change, but it's still squatting, pulling, and benching to improve squatting, pulling, and benching. He's not doing a rotation of box squats and good mornings (or say power cleans like Bolton) to build the deadlift. Not that good mornings or rack pulls might not fit into his programs somewhere, but they aren't the primary exercises like they are for certain schools of lifters.

Donald Lee
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Quibbling over details of another man's training on the internet seems goofy, to put it mildly, but I suppose that's why we're on message boards.

It's not entirely true, in that I didn't describe every aspect of his training, but it was, I thought, a useful illustration of a vastly different training style from Andy Bolton's. He goes way closer to his max way more frequently than Bolton.

I didn't bring up speed work. I agree that he definitely doesn't use/recommend it much.

The variables of the exercise change, but it's still squatting, pulling, and benching to improve squatting, pulling, and benching. He's not doing a rotation of box squats and good mornings (or say power cleans like Bolton) to build the deadlift. Not that good mornings or rack pulls might not fit into his programs somewhere, but they aren't the primary exercises like they are for certain schools of lifters.

The devil's in the details...but yeah, I didn't mean to quibble. I'm just glad that Mike T.'s been getting some recognition. I think he's one of the top 5-10 natural powerlifters, and he still has not reached his potential.

Jon Sikes
05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
The devil's in the details...but yeah, I didn't mean to quibble. I'm just glad that Mike T.'s been getting some recognition. I think he's one of the top 5-10 natural powerlifters, and he still has not reached his potential.

No worries :) Like I said, it's why we're here.

Steroid-free definitely makes his lifting all the more impressive.

Donald Lee
05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
http://www.andyboltonstrength.net/

Andy Bolton has a new site up. It's got a bunch of his articles and his training log, but the training log isn't completely up-to-date. He seems to be massively uploading older training log info.

A few interesting things:

1. He only trains 3 days/week with occasional 4th day for grip work.

2. He does isolation work, including flyes and lateral raises. I only note that because those are two exercises I've considered doing. He also does curls.

3. He also does leg press and leg curls.

4. He deadlifts after squatting.

5. His squatting and deadlifting is in the 8 rep range. I don't know what this is all about. Maybe it has to do with his knee injury.

6. Nobody posts on his forum, so you could probably get some good personal time with him if you wanted. ;)

His training doesn't too revolutionary. It actually is similar to WSBB in many ways, and I could see a bodybuilder doing the same type of training. It's basically heavy compounds followed by a lot of isolation-type work.

Patrick Donnelly
06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
And Konstantinovs does 910lbs at 291lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVTm-sfB6YM

Anyone know what "vaskuras!" (phonetic) means? I hear the cameraman shouting it in every video.

jake oleander
06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
hard to translate that into english, something like 'swiftly' maybe. konstantinov then says 'not bad, four hundred and thirteen'

Shane Skowron
06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
And Konstantinovs does 910lbs at 291lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVTm-sfB6YM

Anyone know what "vaskuras!" (phonetic) means? I hear the cameraman shouting it in every video.

na skorost - "on speed" in Russian.

Patrick Donnelly
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
na skorost - "on speed" in Russian.
Thank you! It finally makes sense now! If it were a different phrase in each video, then I wouldn't really care, but since it was the same one over and over again, not knowing was starting to bug me a lil' bit. So, once again, thank you.

By the way, the best I was able to get my messing around with Google Translator and the sound of the phrase was "You chicken!" which I guess could work too, especially if Konstantinovs was picked on a lot as a kid and now gets really angry when taunted like that. Something tells me he probably wasn't picked on a lot as a kid though...

Robert Callahan
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
I read an interview once where Konstantinovs said speed is the most important thing for him to focus on when dling and as such has his training partner yell it at him before and during his lifts.