PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. DL for mma

Chris H Laing
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
As of right now, it seems like I'm only going to be able to work one pull from the ground a week in my current training schedule, and I'm looking for opinions on which, power clean or deadlift, is a more useful exercise for someone just beginning mma.

Blair Lowe
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I'd vote for the Power Clean.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Deadlift. No question.

Why? Off the top of my head:
a) It's easier to progress linearly with the deadlift.
b) The deadlift has carry over to so many things (including the power clean - while the opposite is not true to the same degree)
c) Grip
d) Power cleans by themselves won't make you as strong as deadlifts will

In my opinion, the only reason for choosing power cleans over deadlifts would be if you were squatting heavy a couple of times per week alongside your MMA and you were worried about recovery.

Mark Fenner
05-26-2010, 11:56 PM
You might consider starting light(er) and doing power cleans. Add some weight. Repeat. When those get tough, go to high pulls. When those get tough, go to low pulls ("power shrug starting from floor"). When those get tough, deadlift.

Or, just do some power cleans to warm up. Or, let various "slam pickups" be your explosive hip lifting and do the DLs in the gym.

To answer your "one or the other question" we need to know what you are good at (weaknesses?) and your mma style. Are you (or the person in question) a strength athlete already? If you are a true mma beginner, you might become a striker, ground 'n pound, submission, etc. For getting people to the ground (possibly by picking them up first), I like power cleans. For dominating people while on the ground, I like deadlifts.

Best,
Mark

Harry Munro
05-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Why not just do powercleans as you ramp up the weight for your deadlift. As soon as the weight becomes too heavy to clean then start deadlifting it.

Júlíus G. Magnússon
05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Why not just do powercleans as you ramp up the weight for your deadlift. As soon as the weight becomes too heavy to clean then start deadlifting it.
Yes. This. Definitely.

Blair Lowe
05-28-2010, 01:04 AM
I concur with the son of Magnus.

Chris H Laing
05-28-2010, 10:12 AM
What kind of rep scheme would you use? Maybe power clean singles until its heavy, then switch to deadlift singles working up to the working weight for that day?

James Bailey
05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
What kind of rep scheme would you use? Maybe power clean singles until its heavy, then switch to deadlift singles working up to the working weight for that day?

I would propose PC for triples until you have to switch to high pulls then deadlift for singles up to the working weight which should be doing triples or fives most likely.

floyd nelson
05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I would propose PC for triples until you have to switch to high pulls then deadlift for singles up to the working weight which should be doing triples or fives most likely.

Sounds like a good plan.

Grissim Connery
05-30-2010, 08:05 PM

i normally do it this way as well. i normally have fun with cleans and increase the weight until i realize that i'm a grappler and a shitty olympic lifter, so then i just deadlift to feel like i did something.

Derek Weaver
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Good suggestions in this thread. Question I have though is how much power work are you getting in your program currently?

I'd usually vote for the deadlift or ramp up using PC's like previously suggested.

Chris H Laing
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
In terms of explosive work, I've got push presses instead of presses, I do oadb snatches after my squats, I do kettlebell juggling/snatches/lccj once a week, I'm sprinting once a week, and I was thinking about doing some high box jumps before I start my deadlifts.

Derek Weaver
06-01-2010, 09:47 PM
then I wouldn't worry about PCs at all unless you just like doing them. You've got essentialy 3, possibly 4 power oriented exercises in there (not counting the KB stuff).

I would just warm up normally, get a good pull for a set or 2 and be done with it.

Darren Reed
06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
With Harry on this. Could do a "progressive pulling" type deal eg PC to High Pull to Deadlift.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/sports-training/strength-training-and-a-ufc-fighter/