PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Support

Troy Kerr
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Having minor aches in my wrist from time to time following training, have slacked on the wrist push-ups lately, im sure that is contributing to the pain somehow. Most of the pain is on the lateral side of my wrist.

I am looking for effective strategies to aid in alleviating my wrist pain. Will consistent wrist push-ups and ice help? I have looked into gymnastic wrist supports and came across the tiger paw, but honestly that seems a little extreme for one who is only working basic progressions 3 days a week. Is their a wrapping technique that could be done with simple athletic tape?

The pain is nothing major. Just a little irritation from time to time.

Steven Low
05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Strengthen up the wrists and it goes away...

In the meantime if you don't supposed yourself on top in neutral wrist position you should consider doing that as a work around for now.

Grissim Connery
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
i've recently started doing reverse curls (pronated curls or whatever) between rounds of handstand work. these make my hands feel much more fluid and potent when i do subsequent handstand work.

Troy Kerr
05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Strengthen up the wrists and it goes away...

In the meantime if you don't supposed yourself on top in neutral wrist position you should consider doing that as a work around for now.

Say what?

Troy Kerr
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
i've recently started doing reverse curls (pronated curls or whatever) between rounds of handstand work. these make my hands feel much more fluid and potent when i do subsequent handstand work.

Yeah I have started adding curls after my back-lever work and does the same for my elbow.

Grissim Connery
06-01-2010, 01:06 AM
well i think trying them pronated is worth a shot since it stresses the wrist extensors more.

Steven Low
06-01-2010, 04:45 AM
well i think trying them pronated is worth a shot since it stresses the wrist extensors more.
Yeah, if you're going to do curls then do them pronated for the extensors.

I personally like rice bucket's effectiveness.

Chris Butler
06-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Radial-ulnar deviation exercises
http://sport.i-mix.info/wrist-exercise-ulnar-and-radial-deviation-with-a-board/

Patrick Donnelly
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
These have helped me:
* contrast baths, a few times a week
* sweatbands for the wrists, just for extra warmth
* thoroughly SMR'ing the neck, biceps, forearm, and hands with a golf ball

As far as rehab exercises go, I like the forearm roller, while holding the weight out in front of you. Do it both "forwards" and "backwards" and don't skimp on the eccentric. A 5lb plate ought to be plenty.

I felt like the rice bag did more harm than good for me. It's too easy to overdo it (either in duration or depth/"resistance"), I think.

Brandon Oto
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Do it both "forwards" and "backwards" and don't skimp on the eccentric. A 5lb plate ought to be plenty.

Whoops. I was doing 130lb last week. Guess I kinda came at that the wrong way.

Grissim Connery
06-02-2010, 08:00 AM

you ought to be ashamed of yourself!

Patrick Donnelly
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Firstly, troll. Secondly, only if you let it hang down is that sort of weight is doable, but you lose a good portion of the wrist ROM, and that sort of weight is unneccessay for prehab/rehab, especially when Troy is already having wrist troubles. You could also use a power rack attachment to hold it for you, but then it's still an unneccessary amount of weight. I stand by what I said.

Brandon Oto
06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
We actually have a freestanding roller stand at my gym, which is nice. Mounted is very different than doing it with an unattached stick; the latter always seemed more like a shoulder workout to me. I've been working up by 5lb a workout just for shits and giggles. Not sure yet what the point is but it's fun.

Troy Kerr
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
So far I have just made sure to be consistent with my wrist push-ups, usually doing
3x7 after isometrics and concentrics. I also went back and re-read Steven's bodyweight article and found a link to Ido's wrist warm-up. So far the pain is gone so we shall see.