PDA

View Full Version : Prilepin's Chart

Matt Edwards
06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Has anyone had any experience using Prilepin's Chart? I recently began using it for my lifts and was wondering what everyone else's results were.

Derek Weaver
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Are you wondering whether it is accurate? I'm not sure I get what the question is.

Matt Edwards
06-02-2010, 10:19 AM
What I was wondering was if anyone got good results with their lifts using the chart. Sorry if it wasn't obvious in the first post.

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
What I was wondering was if anyone got good results with their lifts using the chart. Sorry if it wasn't obvious in the first post.

i'm still not sure i get it. what i have found useful about it is when you're not sure if you've done enough sets yet, you can consult prilepin's chart and notice that you've just doubled the suggested workload at that %. then you know either your %'s are off or it's time to pack it in for the day.

Joe Hart
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I have found it helpful to give me a range of reps and sets and %. I use it for OLY. It works, just one more tool for the tool box. In the begining of OLY, I wondered if I was getting enough work in. The chart helped get me in the ballpark.

Derek Weaver
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm with Dave. Still not sure I'm on the same page as you. Are you asking whether anyone made unusually impressive progress?

Like the others said though, it's fine and quite effective as a guideline.

Once you know what you're a little more advanced, or at least know yourself a little bit it's not needed.

Matt Edwards
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Are you asking whether anyone made unusually impressive progress?

Like the others said though, it's fine and quite effective as a guideline.

Once you know what you're a little more advanced, or at least know yourself a little bit it's not needed.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm looking to see someone make unusually impressive progress, but rather just made good progress following its guidelines. My main concern was that it's been a while since this research was done and, at least to my knowledge, nothing has really been done with it lately.

The 2nd and 3rd line you put pretty much answered my question saying that it's effective as a guideline.

Gavin Harrison
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
nothing has really been done with it lately.

Westside Barbell doesn't count?

Derek Weaver
06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
The other thing is that there isn't anything else to do with it. Use it as a guide, it's effective. Or don't use it as a guide, there are other effective tools.

Pete Gordon
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
it's a wonderful tool. As a man of science I feel that it's a great tool to use to estimate what reps you should be aiming for.

It's obviously a tool & a guideline. IF you feel that you can go faster by beating the reps per set guidelines, go for it. Just make sure that each rep is as quick as the others & not complete grinders.

My coach & I build all weightlifting programs around it & advise athletes to work around those figures based on a 'perceived 1RM'