PDA

View Full Version : Driving out of the hole in highbar squat?

bradley higson
06-06-2010, 07:34 AM
What is the correct method for driving out of the hole in a high bar squat? as im just pushing through the heels as im told and not alot happens realy.

Cheers

Gavin Harrison
06-06-2010, 08:56 AM
"Pushing through the heels" is a cue to engage the hamstrings/glutes. I'm kind of assuming you're not sitting back real far in the squat, so at least the hole of the squat is going to be almost entirely quads.

Donald Lee
06-06-2010, 11:30 AM
"Pushing through the heels" is a cue to engage the hamstrings/glutes. I'm kind of assuming you're not sitting back real far in the squat, so at least the hole of the squat is going to be almost entirely quads.

When my glutes aren't firing and my quads are doing most of the work, I tend to come onto my toes and lose balance forward. Coming out of the hole involves active firing of quads and glutes.

Pushing your feet through the ground is a cue to activate your quads. Pushing through your heels is a cue to keep your balance over your midfoot and avoid coming onto your toes. It also tends to help a bit in activating your hamstrings/glutes.

All in all, just push through your heels and squeeze your glutes and everything should turn out right, unless you have problems squeezing your glutes.

bradley higson
06-06-2010, 01:08 PM
thanks for the replies, so pushing through your heels to activate glutes and quads is kind of like low bar squat but not as extreme? i thought you werent meant to sit very far back into a high bar squat.

Donald Lee
06-06-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for the replies, so pushing through your heels to activate glutes and quads is kind of like low bar squat but not as extreme? i thought you werent meant to sit very far back into a high bar squat.

Pushing through your heels has more to do with maintaining proper balance and avoiding having too much quad activation without much posterior chain activation. When that happens, you tip forward and lose balance and strength.

Folks who teach low-bar squatting may like the weight on the heels cue because it is helpful in keeping your hips back, but you're still pushing off your midfoot with the Olympic squat and the low-bar squat.

With the Olympic squat, you sink between your legs rather than pushing your hips back, but your weight should still be on your hips.

I hope I didn't confuse you. If you're confused, just stick to the last line I said in the post above or post a video or get someone to help you in person.

bradley higson
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
i appreciate the speedy reply, i just managed to confuse myself as people have said to sit straight between the legs. However i was told i might not be sitting far enough into the back of the squat. ill figure it out but it is alot clearer now.

cheers

Neill Smith
06-06-2010, 07:48 PM
You probably shouldn't put much stock in my opinion, because I'm a terrible squatter, but I found that firing the hip flexors added some pop out of the hole.

Chris Butler
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
You probably shouldn't put much stock in my opinion, because I'm a terrible squatter, but I found that firing the hip flexors added some pop out of the hole.How can you fire your hip flexors if they are in full flexion? They don't do extension. :confused: Reciprocal inhibition keeps the hip flexors from firing so the hip extensors can fire.

Dave Van Skike
06-06-2010, 09:12 PM
What is the correct method for driving out of the hole in a high bar squat? as im just pushing through the heels as im told and not alot happens realy.

Cheers

squat more. you'll figure out your own cues. if you're having a hard time getting out of the bottom, drop the weight a little and do multiple sets of 2-3 until you figure it out.

Dean Saunders
06-07-2010, 05:48 AM

Cheers

Just stand up! Why do people insist on complicating simple things?:confused:

Dean Saunders
06-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Perhaps I was a little brusque with my reply, Try and visualise having something on your back and you have to stand up and dump the load onto a platform behind you. Seems to work for me

Harry Munro
06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe "firing the hip flexors" was in reference to the descent portion:

Lying on your back and with either a partner or bands holding the feet, pull the knees up to the chest. Do this a few times and the hip flexors will be really firing. Then stand up and try a squat in the same manner, you will miraculously 'pull' yourself down, keep tight in the process and hopefully reverse the movement just as well. Practice this often and you get really good squat form down.

Garrett Smith
06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Get more "bounce" out of the bottom.

Mark Fenner
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure, but the OP might be partially confused by the differences between an "Olympic" (high bar, deepest possible depth) squat and a "Powerlifting" (low bar, hip below knee depth) squat.

Here's a discussion of some of the considerations in each:
http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1736931

Other thoughts:

Hip flexors: Much like in a bench press when you actively pull the bar down on the descent, you can pull yourself down into the hole in a squat. In the squat, the pulling down is done with the hip flexors. Incidentally, the hip flexors also contribute towards keeping you from falling over backwards (particularly in the low squat position).

DrG mentioned utilizing the bounce out of the hole. That is certainly specific to Oly lifting (which is probably why you are high bar squatting). A somewhat opposing thought: lighten the weight, go deep into the hole, pause for a second or two or three, drive out of the hole like a bat out of hell. Don't think about muscle this that or the other. Just think about "up as quick as possible with good form". Heck, do it with a goblet squat and 20 pounds. Try to fly into the air. Avoid hitting your chin with the db/kb or your friends will laugh.

Best,
Mark

bradley higson
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Thank you all for the replies, it is greatly appreciated.
I have narrowed my stance by quite abit and toe'd out abit more and i could hit below parrallell alot easier and sat into the squat alot better.I rememberd what a few of you have said and the drive up was alot better. i will see what happens in the next couple of workouts how im doing.

thanks for clearing things up :) .