PDA

View Full Version : Fav TJs items/foods

Mike ODonnell
02-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Ok so TJs just opened in Dec in Atlanta here...and I've been exploring little by little to see all the wonderful treasures they may have! But alas I hate to shop so it's like 5min at a time.....

Since it is popular....what are people's favorite things they get at TJs....to give me an idea what to go hunt for on my next speed shopping trip.....

Robb Wolf
02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Olive oil...canned marinara sauce(peach colored label) n-3 eggs for 1.99/dozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Canned salmon, canned sardines, artichokes, frozen green beans, frozen broccoli florets.

Those are the biggies...love that store.

Steve Liberati
02-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Ironically, just read a nice marketing piece on TJ's before stopping over here...
here it is:
http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?pr_id=323

Shop there once a week. Although way of the way for me well worth the extra miles. So many good items (most of which are private label), not sure where to even begin. In addition to the items Robb said, I'll add:
-Huge selection of nuts and seeds
-reasonably priced, high quality grass-fed meats. Mainly buy flank for like $5-6 a pound.
-Good frozen fish selection. Just bought some marinated Wild Kind Salmon Fillets.
-awesome selection of coffee's from around the world.
-thick cut, roast beef lunch meat (low sodium)
-TJ's salad dressings (Tuscan Italian dressing)
-Sugar-free chocolate covered almonds (heads up they're addictive!).

List goes on...you'll see what we mean when you get there.

Allison Barns
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
I pretty much second Robb and Steve. I get frozen veggies, bagged salads, nuts, meat, fish (frozen, canned), autodishwasher soap that does NOT smell like a perfume bottle, GOOD dark chocolate!!

Allen Yeh
02-22-2007, 05:42 AM
I shop at TJ's once a week there is one only 2 miles away from my house :), TJ's is great and I'm still finding stuff.

Regulars buys:
-frozen green beans, corn, fruits
-frozen balsamic butter sauce veggies (Steve recommended these, these are great!)
-orange chicken (stepsons love this stuff)
-whole wheat bread or the sprouted bread
-fruit sometimes i.e. strawberries, clementines...
-avocados
-shredded cheese
-chicken breakfast sausage - my wife and 1.5 year old love these
-roasted almonds w/ 1/2 less salt added
-heavy cream
-nut butters
-olive oil
-salad dressing - I usually try to get something different each time so no favorites yet.
-light coconut milk
-milled flax seeds
-green powder
-green tea
-some type of chocolate for my wife (this is a must or it's at my own risk!)
-chicken nuggets (1.5 year old loves them, my wife thinks they taste like dog food)

sometimes buys:
-bacon - turkey or regular
-pot stickers chicken or shrimp
-coffee
-peach salsa
-soups
-chili
-gourmet cheeses
-yogurt

I'm sure I left a thing out here or there but this is what I can recall, hope this helps.

Steve Shafley
02-22-2007, 05:48 AM
I wish there were a TJs nearby.

We've got no cool grocery stores. And the farmer's market is only open when it's seasonal

Scott Kustes
02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
I hate you people with TJ's nearby. I envy you too. I'm in a glassbox of emotions!

When I was able to shop TJ's, I would always load up on:
- Nuts
- Nut butters: They carry Macadamia butters!
- Chicken sausages: Delicious, quick, and without any funky crap in them.
- Grassfed meats
- Various seafoods: You just can't get good swordfish everywhere
- Beer: Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout...that's all I've got to say about that.
- Sardines and tuna
- Good dark chocolate: My TJ's in Cincy had like 85% cocoa chocolate.
- Various types of tea.

That's all I can recall as it's been 8 f'in months since I've seen one (!!!). Grrr.

Mike ODonnell
02-22-2007, 07:08 AM
and yet no one has mentioned the $3 wine (by law it has to be $3 in Moonshine state...I hear it is $2 elsewhere...they sold like 2300 cases in the first 2 weeks they were open before X-mas...good timing)

Robb Wolf
02-22-2007, 08:19 AM
and yet no one has mentioned the $3 wine (by law it has to be $3 in Moonshine state...I hear it is $2 elsewhere...they sold like 2300 cases in the first 2 weeks they were open before X-mas...good timing)

yep...Two-buck-chuck...wine sux...I need to get them to add the gluten free beer to their "gluten free foods list".

Allison- Good call on the dark chocolate!

Shaf-
If you are out of Mate shoot me your home address and I will send you a kg. I have afriend who is a rep.

Mark Madonna
02-22-2007, 08:55 AM
two-buck chuck sux

I spend $2-3 more a bottle for the good stuff, Black Mountain Cab is good for $4.99 a bottle, Purple Moon Syrah was pretty good for $5.99 a bottle,

Oh food, Organic food bars, they are good if you need something that will keep, dried fruit for hiking, frozen fruits, frozen Ahi tuna steaks that are marinated

Steve Liberati
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Man how did i forget the dark chocolate? Its called Unique Origin "Guarranda" from Ecuador (the one with the yellow wrapping, not the orange). 1 whole bar only has 24 grams of sugar. 71% cocoa. Love it! Eat a bar a week. It's crack! only better for you.

Brad Hirakawa
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Is there a gluten-free beer? Interesting.

Brad

Robert McBee
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
grassfed beef
almond butter
frozen organic broccoli
lara bars
omega 3 eggs

Brad Hirakawa
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
... there's this cute little checker at isle 4

Yael Grauer
03-03-2007, 10:36 PM
TJ's also has the best flowers in town.

Mike ODonnell
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
TJ's also has the best flowers in town.

Only a chick would know that.....

Yael Grauer
03-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Only a chick would know that.....

Hey, feel free to buy flowers for Ron somewhere else!

Mike ODonnell
03-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey, feel free to buy flowers for Ron somewhere else!

Ron and I are over....he spilled my Guinness....that was the back breaker....

Yael Grauer
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Pssst, Ron! The cheapest flowers in town are at TJ's! Oh wait, Mike doesn't like flowers... :o

Ronnie Ashlock
03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
- Frozen Blueberries
- Frozen Raspberries
- Cashew/Macadamia Butter (you will never be able to go back to regular PB)
- Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
- Frozen Shrimp
- Frozen Salmon
- Bags o' Macadamia nuts (if they are in stock)
- Saw Palmetto
- Gra$$fed Beef
- Good nitrate-free bacon
- Mediterranean Cheese Style Yogurt