PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a bike

Jason Lopez-Ota
06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
But I don't know anything about bikes. I just want to ride it to BJJ and work.

Can you recommend me a decent bike?

Derek Simonds
06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
To a bike geek that is totally a loaded question, darn close to a troll. Are you looking to buy a new bike or pick one up on craigslist? If used any modern mountain bike would probably work. If you pick up a bicycling magazine there is usually a section in the back where they reccomend bikes for people that might give you some ideas about what to look at.

Jason Lopez-Ota
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
To a bike geek that is totally a loaded question, darn close to a troll. Are you looking to buy a new bike or pick one up on craigslist? If used any modern mountain bike would probably work. If you pick up a bicycling magazine there is usually a section in the back where they reccomend bikes for people that might give you some ideas about what to look at.

I'm looking to buy new or used. I would be riding it a max 7 miles or so at a time, nothing spectacular.

Would Wal-Mart be an ok place to buy one?

I don't want to end up getting a crappy bike where the brakes break within a couple months or something.

Dave Van Skike
06-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm looking to buy new or used. I would be riding it a max 7 miles or so at a time, nothing spectacular.

Would Wal-Mart be an ok place to buy one?

I don't want to end up getting a crappy bike where the brakes break within a couple months or something.

no. go to reputable bike shop, get sized, figure out what feels comfortable in terms of style, road, cross, mountain, single speed etc..then buy the most expensive helmet they sell and look for the bike you chose on craigslist.

Blair Lowe
06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Been through a few Walmart Specials. However, both of them ended up getting stolen.

They were ok, but over a few months some things get loose that never seem to be able to get tightened down. Out of the store, they typically ride fine.

If you can find a tour bike on CL, I would do so. You will cover a lot more ground on them than a Mtn bike which is nice, even in wind. Mtn bike suck in the wind.

Shimano components are always nice, imo.

Greg Davis
06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
get a cheap "track" bike (single speed)... no gears but with a front brake... and then just take some black or whatever color vinyl and cover anything that looks fancy..

should be able to do it for like 500-600 bucks and you get a super light road bike

Leela Seville
06-14-2010, 05:49 PM
You don't even have to necessarily go to a "reputable bike shop." A sporting goods store can provide you with an excellent selection of bicycles. Modells (On the East Coast - my sister lives there) and Dick's Sporting Goods are great options for buying a bike. Of course, if you want the advice of a professional biker (non-Harley, of course hee hee), then sure, DO go to a bike shop. Of course, not every town has a bike shop and it can cost a pretty penny. Good luck!

Don Stevenson
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I've been through a bunch of bikes over the years including both mountain bikes and road bikes and in my opinion if you are after a run around bike your best bet is to get something like an entry level mountain bike from one of the big manufacturers like Giant.

Throw a set of 1.5" slicks on it and you'll have a reliable bike for day to day.

If you think that you'll end up doing a more riding it's worth upgrading a couple of models up the range to get better components but otherwise just spend as much money as you can afford on getting a good set of lights and a good helmet. I've had my life saved by a helmet on two occasions and again i'd go with something from a big manufacturer like MET or Giro (the most important factor being a snug fit)

As far as getting a bargain I've bought $3500 bikes for $1500 on ebay and had to sell a $3000 mountain bike for $975. In both cases the bikes had seen little use and the bike i bought for $1500 went on to do several years of weekly rides without problems.

Frank Needham
06-15-2010, 06:48 AM
As I recall, this thread had lots of good info on bikes in general: http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274&highlight=bikes
May be helpful to you, or not.

Gant Grimes
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM
no. go to reputable bike shop, get sized, figure out what feels comfortable in terms of style, road, cross, mountain, single speed etc..then buy the most expensive helmet they sell and look for the bike you chose on craigslist.

Full face helmet FTW.

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/CommerceManager/images/assets/mountain%20bike%203.jpg

Steve Shafley
06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
In 1990 I bought a Giant ATX 770 mountain bike that was a year old. I paid just over half it's price new. Was ~$500 at the time and was Giant's second best mountain bike.

I rode it to work and school for 2-3 years when the weather was cooperating. I rode it for the pleasure of riding it a lot. I rode it to the bar, and I rode it to and from the mechanic's shop when my beater car was getting fixed (~20 mile ride), and I rode it too and from the gym and rugby practice.

In 1996 I gave it to my brother to take to Colorado with him, in 2001 he gave it back to me, a bit more beat up, the red dust of the trails outside Carbondale on it still. I haven't washed it since, either.

2 sets of tires, 1 seat. I set of bar ends. I do need to get it tuned up because some gears skip and I would like to replace the handgrips.

I still ride the thing 3-4 times a week. Usually with my daughter on the back on a tagalong, but sometimes I'll go for a 6-10 mile ride as fast as I can make it.

My wife asks me if I want a new bike, and, honestly, I kind of do. I kind of want to get one with the bigger tires, and I kind of want one with a full suspension, and I sometimes think I can make my old one a fixie, and that would be cool.

But, fuck me, I've been riding this bike longer than both my marriages and longer than I've had kids.

Derek Simonds
06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
But, fuck me, I've been riding this bike longer than both my marriages and longer than I've had kids.

I am with you on that one Steve. My mountain bike is a Specialized Stump Jumper that I bought in 1993. I just can't part with it. I ride it all the time with the kids. So much easier to jump on and just ride than a road bike. I keep telling myself that I am going to at least get a rockshox and disc brakes but haven't done it yet.

I probably will ride that bike forever.

Mark Fenner
07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I am with you on that one Steve. My mountain bike is a Specialized Stump Jumper that I bought in 1993.

<snip>

I probably will ride that bike forever.

I have to throw in a "me too". My ride is a 1990 Schwin High Plains. Cool black with silver spidering paint. Hardtail, no front shocks. The only real upgrade was clip pedals in about 2003. They're worth more than the bike itself -- to other folks :).

Funny story: friend of a friend (and a bike shop owner) to me, around 2005, "There have been some advances in mountain bikes in the last 15 years." We all got a good laugh.

Best,
Mark