PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this template to me?

Shane Skowron
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
I've decided to start this program:
http://www.criticalbench.com/bulgarian-weightlifting.htm

Can someone explain the MTR for me?

Day 1:
* Snatch: 3 singles, using 'Maximum Training Resistance' (use matrix)
* Clean & Jerk: MTR matrix
* Front Squat: 3 singles, using MTR, then 2 doubles with MTR -15 kilos

But in the MTR explanation it says:
for the next 5 weeks your Monday snatch workouts might be as follows:
Week 1: 80/2, 90, 100 (3-4)

So that's more than 3 singles...
And what's the difference between Snatch 3 singles and C&J using MTR matrix?

Garrett Smith
06-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe you're confusing the introductory part of the program with the later part of the program.

Shane Skowron
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Okay, so what exactly is the MTR matrix for the introductory part?

Chris Butler
06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I think this article simplifies it a little more.
http://www.bayareapowerclub.com/Articles/Bulgarian%20loading%20secrets%20for%20strength.htm

Geoffrey Thompson
06-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I like that article and its ideas. It fits exactly with the sort of stuff I'm doing. I'll work on using it and report back what I think it means.

Geoffrey Thompson
06-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Upon further review, I think the article really wasn't clear. I think they really want you to use the MTR matrix for both snatch and C+J on Monday, given that they explicitly say to use the matrix for C+J and use the snatch as the example of how to use it.

I'll be using this system or something similar and will let you know how it goes.

Garrett Smith
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
MTR is max for the day for 3 singles in the first phase, just like it says.

After doing the program for a while, later in the program, that's where the MTR "matrix" that you posted above is used.

That's the way I read it. It is a gradual increase in training volume.

Geoffrey Thompson
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
But it says: "At the start of the program, Mondays and Wednesdays only will be done using the 'MTR Matrix'. This matrix will appear at the very end of the article, and I will place appropriate comments with it."

Garrett Smith
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Day 1:

I'd say the only difference between the "3 singles" and the "Week 1 matrix" part is one rep...3 versus 3-4. Do with that what you will. The 80 and 90 would both fall under the "ramping up" part of the workout.

Tom Phillips
06-17-2010, 06:50 AM
does anyone know who wrote this article? I couldn't see an author name anywhere (I may have missed it!)

Andrew Wilson
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Day 1:

Hey just to shoot a heads up, the maxing out every session could really be hindered by technique and that can really drive an athlete into the ground. There's alot of misguided hype behind the bulgarian on the internet and all these guys treat it like its starting strength and think there's going to be this linear increase every session, but they don't understand that the bulgs when they start this off have a huge technical base and that whole motorpattern is built in and they can successfully get away with it. It's also recommended too much by people online with poor coaching or training experience. Americans have some of the worst technique internationally, and only a handful of our top lifters have technique that can do it with a linear increase. So if you come across a flatline at a certain max check your tech before you continue maxing at that weight because eventually you'll run into a lot of leaks in the technique and will have to spend more time on fixing it than maxing out. Alot of people will not do this and just keep maxing out until they break themselves so down. I was 2.5kg from setting a huge max and for two weeks continually tried to grind it out every session but eventually that just developed a bad technical pattern that couldn't make the lift with 2.5kg extra, so I've literally had to go all the way back to 50kg and get that perfect and build back up, which really boosted my lifts because the economy was so efficient. 3pos work and the structure of that lsus program, what I've found out this week is so underrated, especially when you look at all the American competitions with this ridiculous high speed cameras with God vision & see these huge lifters miss lifts because of one small technical error that so basic and they never learned it. It's wild stuff. So yeah heads up on the technique (especially with heel down in the power position)

Shane Skowron
06-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah what I've been doing is not exactly maxing out, but rather just putting up stuff that feels "heavy." I'm getting my form checked after mostly all the reps and if it starts to feel less than perfect then I won't add any weight.

I realize it won't be linear.

Andrew Wilson
06-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Yeah what I've been doing is not exactly maxing out, but rather just putting up stuff that feels "heavy." I'm getting my form checked after mostly all the reps and if it starts to feel less than perfect then I won't add any weight.

I realize it won't be linear.

yeah yeah that's how it's done! I was reading some thing on the french team and they were talking about those guys spending 45min at 60kg just because they weren't hitting the reps right. I'll upload this video on facebook about this tech stuff that has really stood out in the last few arnolds & USA nat championships that a majority of the USA lifters lack compared to the international lifters, especially in the snatch , it's like this consistent basic mechanic that for some reason isn't taught or developed in our lifters, except Ken Far, his is almost completely identical to all the top china guys. pretty interesting stuff, huge time saver.

Brian DeGennaro
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I think people get too concerned with weights and ego than anything else. I know with talking to Broz he is a big advocate on doing things right and honing technique as well as pushing yourself (as evidenced by Pat).

Mike Ng
06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
does anyone know who wrote this article? I couldn't see an author name anywhere (I may have missed it!)

I think it was by a guy named Jason Keen, I remember reading it years and years ago on his student website. I don't think he was an expert coach or anything like that.

A quick google search turned up this with his name on it:
http://strength-training.wikidot.com/strength-training-article:keen-bulgarian-blitz

David Driggs
09-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey just to shoot a heads up, the maxing out every session could really be hindered by technique and that can really drive an athlete into the ground. There's alot of misguided hype behind the bulgarian on the internet and all these guys treat it like its starting strength and think there's going to be this linear increase every session, but they don't understand that the bulgs when they start this off have a huge technical base and that whole motorpattern is built in and they can successfully get away with it. It's also recommended too much by people online with poor coaching or training experience. Americans have some of the worst technique internationally, and only a handful of our top lifters have technique that can do it with a linear increase. So if you come across a flatline at a certain max check your tech before you continue maxing at that weight because eventually you'll run into a lot of leaks in the technique and will have to spend more time on fixing it than maxing out. Alot of people will not do this and just keep maxing out until they break themselves so down. I was 2.5kg from setting a huge max and for two weeks continually tried to grind it out every session but eventually that just developed a bad technical pattern that couldn't make the lift with 2.5kg extra, so I've literally had to go all the way back to 50kg and get that perfect and build back up, which really boosted my lifts because the economy was so efficient. 3pos work and the structure of that lsus program, what I've found out this week is so underrated, especially when you look at all the American competitions with this ridiculous high speed cameras with God vision & see these huge lifters miss lifts because of one small technical error that so basic and they never learned it. It's wild stuff. So yeah heads up on the technique (especially with heel down in the power position)
What is the Isus program?

Andrew Wilson
09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
What is the Isus program?

lsus http://www.lsus.edu/weightlifting/ wfs

which is basically a sports science model where it transitions from a real GPP to SPP

10’s: 3-4 weeks
Monday:
Push press up to 10 RM. drop set at -5% and 1 at -10%
Squat up to 10 RM 1 set -5% and -10%
Bench press up to 10RM 1 set -5% and -10%
Press/military press 10RM -5% and -10%
ABS
Tuesday:
Snatch from hip/thigh up to 5RM then -5% and -10%
Snatch deadlift 10RM -5% and -10%
RDL 10RM -5% and -10%
SHRUG 10RM -5% and -10%
Bent rows 10RM -5% and -10%
Pull ups bodyweight 3-5x10
ABS
Wednesday:
Push Press 3-5x10 within 10% of 10RM on Monday then drop set -5 and -10%
Squat 3-5x10 within 10% of 10RM then drop set -5% and -10%
Bench press 3-5x10 within 10% of 10 RM drop set -5% and -10%
Press/military press 3-5x10 within 10% of 10RM then -5% and -10%
abs
Thursday:
Clean from hip/thigh up to 5RM then drop set at -5% and -10%
Clean deadlift up to 10RM drop set -5% and -10%
RDL 3x10 within 10% of Tuesday drop set -5% and -10%
SHRUG 3x10 within 10% of 10RM -5% and -10%
Pull ups 3-5x10 bdy weight
abs
Saturday:
Snatch and clean and jerk hit between 8-12 reps between 80-90% of your best, and go heavier if you feel good enough.
Front squat 2RM

5’s 3-4weeks:
Monday:
Powerjerk 5RM -5% -10%
Squat 5RM -5% and -10%
Pushpress 5RM -5% and -10%
Bench press 5RM -5% and -10%
abs
Tuesday:
Snatch up to 3RM from the knee and -5% and -10%
Snatch deadlift up to 5RM -5% and -10%
Rdl 5RM -5% -10%
Shrug 5RM -5% -10%
Bent row 5RM -5% -10%
Muscle snatch 5RM -5% -10%
Pull ups weight As Heavy as Possible 3-5x5
Abs
Wednesday:
Powerjerk 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% and -10%
Squat 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% and -10%
Push Press 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% -10%
` Bench press 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% and -10%
Press/Military press within 10% of 5RM -5% and -10%
ABS
Thursday:
Clean up to 3RM from the knee then drop set -5% -10%
Clean deadlift 5RM then drop -5% and -10%
RDL 3-5x5 within 10% 5RM then -5% and -10%
Muscle snatch 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% -10%
Shrug 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% -10%
Bent Row 3-5x5 within 10% of 5RM -5% -10%
ABS
Saturday:
Snatch and clean and jerk AHAP then front squat up to 2RM
3 weeks of 3’s:
Monday:
Split jerk up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Squat up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Push Press up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Bench Press up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Press up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Abs
Tuesday:
Clean up to 3RM from floor then -5% and -10%
Clean Pull 3RM -5% -10%
Clean deadlift 3RM -5% -10%
RDL 3RM -5% -10%
Bent row 3RM -5% -10%
Pull ups
ABS
Wednesday:
Split Jerk 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM -5% -10%
Squat 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM -5% -10%
Push press 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM -5% -10%
Bench press 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM -5% -10%
Press 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM -5% -10%
ABS
Thursday:
Snatch from floor up to 3RM -5% -10%
Snatch Pull up to 3RM -5% -10%
Snatch deadlift up to 3RM -5% -10%
RDL 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM
Bent row 3-5x3 within 10% of 3RM
ABS
Saturday
Snatch and clean and jerk AHAP then front squat up to 2RM
Peaking Phase 1-2 weeks:
Monday:
(power) clean and (power) jerk up to 1RM -5% 2-10%
Squat up to 2RM
Power jerk or split jerk up to 2RM
Push press up to 2RM
Bench press up to 2RM
ABS
Tuesday:
Snatch up to 1RM
Clean pull up to 3RM
Clean pull from power position up to 3RM
Back extensions
Pull Ups
Abs
Wednesday:
Clean and jerk or power clean and jerk up to 1RM -5% and 2-10%
Front squat up to 2RM -5% -10%
Power jerk up to 2RM -5% and -10%
Push press 3x2 within 10% of 2RM
ABS
Thursday:
Snatch or power snatch up to 1RM -5% and -10%
Snatch pull up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Snatch pull from powerposition up to 3RM -5% and -10%
Back extensions
Pull ups
Abs
Saturday:
Snatch and clean and jerk AHAP Front squat up to 1RM

Taper Week:
Monday
Snatch and clean and jerk up to 90%
Front squat up to 2RM
Tuesday:
Snatch and clean pull up to 1RM
Back extensions
Abs
Wednesday
Snatch and clean and jerk up to 80%
Thursday snatch and clean and jerk up to 70%
Competition on Saturday
This is pretty much our exact workout but we always change and modify them according to an athlete’s weakness but this is basically it.

David Driggs
09-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for posting this.